Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Deviated Septum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Deviated Septum

I have been told I have a deviated septum.  Over the last SEVERAL years (7+) I have been using nasal spray (afrin) due to trouble breathing in both nostrils.  I apparently have become addicted to it, and cannot stop using it.  My deviated septum is in my left nostril.  

I saw an ENT, and was given a few things to help inflammation, and to get me off of the Afrin.  I am scheduled to go back to see him in 6-8 weeks, but I don't think I will be able to last that long... I am unable to sleep comfortably, and can never breathe.  Saline spray just doesn't work.  I haven't used Afrin in about a week, so I guess thats good.

The ENT said I needed to "start my nose over" because I don't really know what a normal nose feels like anymore because of how long I've been on nasal spray.  

I am just wondering if I should make an earlier appt with him, and tell him we need to do something now or...?

What is involved in determining if their is other sinus problems?  I have done a bit of research, and how do I tell if I have messed up turbinites?

Also, I know this will sound gross, but I am able to stick one of my fingers all the way up my right nostril, but not my left, not even a quarter of the way up.  I am being blocked by the deviation and something on the left side of my nose (not the center where septum is)

Please help :( Thank you!
I understand your suffering, but think I am getting off easy.  I do not have a deviated septum (as far as I know - just sticking my finger in my left then right nostril I can say they feel about the same size-wise, but I can't reach very far before hitting the "top", maybe up to my first knuckle on my small finger, just comparing measurement techniques in case it tells us something).  

I love (Walmart generic) Afrin and use it off an on just at bed time, my breathing is mostly okay when I'm on my butt or feet, just lying down gives me a problem, i.e., trying to sleep.  My primary care doctor has examined my, no mention of any need to see a specialist.  He said not to use Afrin constantly, not sure of the word used, I think he didn't know if once a day could be acceptable.  I can say I have not gotten a "rebound", but I have broken off use to try to break the dependency or any damage.  My doctor gave me a prescription for Fluticasone (a generic Flonaise sp?) to use twice a day.  I was also told to use saline spray, and I occasionally use a netipot, did last night, to no noticeable benefit.

Did you use Afrin several times a day?  Or even every 12 hours?  Do you have congestion all the time independent of physical position and activity?

Sorry I don't have an answer, but it sounds like we suffer from similar symptoms, and I too find it emotionally stressful - especially when trying to sleep and find even when using Afrin I can get the feeling I am suffocating.  I may need physciatric help too as I also suffer from trouble mares, dreaming problems.  The problem I have that may make our situation very different is I am an old guy - so dealing with age adds to my stress, that is my stress drivers are more than congestion.  

I will discuss my situation again with my Primary Care doctor, and see if he supports the ideas of me consulting with an ENT.  

I have added this thread to my "watch list" so I will be notified an additional posts here.
Hey Buddy,

Nice that someone else is in my position as well.

I literally was going through a bottle of Afrin every few days... It was on our weekly shopping list... So yes, several several times a day.

Yes, no matter what, I have congestion.  Sleeping, walking around, inside, outside, etc... No matter what its there.

I too have nightmares, but that just may be a side effect of some things that happened when I was a child and/or my psychiatric medications.

Look forward to talking with you soon
How have you been feeling?
Not much change here other than the snow, but NJ got off easy compared to Norther and East of NYC.  I had to shovel a path so our small dog (a Westie) could take a pee...his short legs can't reach through even 6" of snow, which is about what we got.

I'm trying to reduce Afrin again.  I was using it only once a day, that may not be too much but is still not recommended.  As I think I mentioned I have a prescription congestion spray - cost 4 times as much and works 1/4 as well.

So, I remain fighting to keep my nose open while trying to sleep.  Without Afrin (really generic Walmart substitute, which is even less $$).  At about 2 am, one of my trips to the bathroom I used some moisturizer as I had troublesome dry mouth, that is I was breathing through my mouth - the prescription nose spray wasn't doing the job.  Also used some saline nose sprat.  Dreaming goes on and I've tried to stop eating in the 4 hours before bed time.  Snacks seems not be the dream trigger.  I think it is caused mentally, not physically.

Hope you are finding some relief.  I'll discuss nose issues more with my Primary Care doctor, maybe I'll try an ENT to see if I can get the breathing problem corrected - the subject of this Community.  Maybe that will also relieve the dream pressure.   I still play with the idea of trying to go lucid when dreaming - not sure how that would help, maybe it would help me resolve some of the troubles I dream about.