Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Diminished hearing after ear tube procedure in adult

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I had tympanostomy / ventilation / PE tubes put in both ears today and I now have significantly reduced hearing.  Is this a short term effect of the procedure, or will my hearing be like this until the tubes are removed?  Human speech now sounds muffled and background noises seem excessively loud.  I have to turn the TV volume up a good bit to hear it clearly.  I’d rather have the congested feeling than the diminished hearing.

The tubes are to treat eustation tube dysfunction that was causing a sensation of chronic ear congestion – always having to “pop” or clear my ears.  My left eardrum was significantly retracted.  There was no fluid in my ears, no infection, and my hearing tested normal for my age (43).  I had tubes in my ears twice as a child because of recurring infections.

There is a great deal of information online about ear tubes for children, but almost nothing about what adults experience when they get ear tubes.
I know this is an old post, but hopefully you will respond and let me know what happened with you? I am having the exact same problem and it's making me crazy. I can't get any help from doctors or nurses, and I know what you mean about nothing being on the internet! Please post how long (and if) the clogged sensation cleared up! Thanks!

Amber
This is an old post, but did the symptoms clear up? I am dealing with something similar. I had tubes put in three days ago. My right ear is full of fluid that isn't draining and there is pressure and sometimes the sound of my heartbeat. Makes me crazy. Plus my own voice sounds like it used to when I'd submerge my ears in the bathtub. so far it's miserable.

I have just had a grommet put in my right ear and have the exact same problems as above. I would be gratful if somebody could let me know whn this congested/muffled hearing will stop........
It's been over two weeks for me and it's beginning to get better
I had tubes put in on Jan 25, 2010 and have the feeling described by many (diminished hearing, muffled sounds, feel like I am underwater).  My ENT says diminished hearing from tubes is extremely rare, and he is shocked at the hearing test results - I am having a second (nerve hearing) test done today - the doctor is concerned the hearing loss is permanent.  
I too wold really like to hear if this condition has cleared up over time for anyone -  am worried that even if they take the tubes out this is how it will be - OMG it is a terrible feeling and so much worse than the constant feeling of pressure that I had before.
Opps, I meant to say I had tubes put in in January 2011 -
I just had the tubes put in today, and the intial cuts to the ear drum didn't hurt but when they placed the tubes my ear I have the imediate clogging and muffled hearing how long did this last for you. I made them take them out right away as I had a severe panic attack. After taking them out it still is muffled it echos and I feel like I am under water I can't hear people talking across the room, they have to come up to me. I kept asking him what to expect and he couldn't tell me. All I want to know is will my hearing return to what I am used to hearing and how long it will take, can I do anything to stop the pressure and stuffy feeling in my head. I felt it when he pushed the tube in the left ear, it felt like he came thru my check. Please help as I have sever panic issues, please tell me what to think.
This is an old post but just wondered if your symptons went away. I started with an ear infection and now my have that clogged up feeling in my ears. the ENT say I have issue with my ETD and negative pressure. He said ear tubes may be needed.  Please let me know how your turned out. Thanks.
This is an old post but just wondered if your symptons went away. I started with an ear infection and now my have that clogged up feeling in my ears. the ENT say I have issue with my ETD and negative pressure. He said ear tubes may be needed.  Please let me know if  your symptons got better Thanks
How are feeling now? Just had tubes put in 3 days ago and I feel awful the same as you.Not sure if I should have my ent take them out or what to do
Tasha,
    i am having the same exact problem and want to take out the tubes can you tell me if it healed and how long it took.  I am desperate please respond.

Tasha,
I know this is old but any updates? Just had tubes placed 2 days ago... Feel like I'm under water. Please help!
I had an ear tube inserted in Aug. 2013, as my eardrum was very retracted & always felt stuffy,  When I flew it was very very painful, therefore, I had a tube put in.  Since that time, my ear also feels "stuffy".  I've done okay however for about 4 weeks, (it really helped with pain upon flying), it still feels stuffy however.  But almost 4 weeks later, I noticed this pulsating, swooshing noise, especially when I lay down at night & I cannot sleep because of it.. Please tell me this will go away, also ???
I was wondering if it ever went away.  I have have ETD for two years now and had a tube put in about 7 months ago and it has not helped.  In fact made it worse and I have had blood come out of my ear three times, last night it happened again after about two weeks of constantly feeling plugged up.  All of a sudden when I was lying on my side in bed last night I felt fluid coming out of my ear which also took away some of the feeling of plugged up ness, but when I saw it was blood again, I wasn't very happy.  It is Veteran's Day Weekend and my ENT or Family doc won't be in until Tuesday.  This happened last night, Friday.  But I started using the antibiotic drops she prescribed last time this happened and those make it feel plugged up again!  This is really a vicious circle and I have read many threads like this by frustrated people with this ET problem.  There seems to be no solid solution!  I've been to 3 ENTS and still cannot get rid of this problem. I think the tube is what is causing the infections which cause a small amount of blood to come out of my ear when they occur.  I am going to talk to my doctor about taking it out because it really hasn't helped to make the ear any better!  I am so fed up with this problem!  Are you doing any better?  i have experienced a whoosing sound in my ear before also, but usually when I was up and walking around, not laying down.  Please let me know if you find out any new information and I will do the same.  There has to be a cure for this!