Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Dizzy and no answer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Dizzy and no answer

Hi, I've been experiencing dizziness for about 7 weeks now. It Is constant and doesn't go away, although there are times I feel it's getting better before it gets worse again. I have been to 5 medi centre doctors, 3 emergency doctors, a chiropractor, eyes doctor, physio therapist, homeopathic doctor, with no real answers. I've been given pills to stop the nausea and dizziness which don't work and exercises that make it worse.

My symptoms include dizziness, off balance and feels like I'm extremely drunk when I walk, every time I swallow my ears crack like ridce crispys, when I  burp or yuan I get a flutter in my ear, headaches, eye movement (my eyes aren't actually moving, but it feels as if I'm on a boat) neck and upper back pain, and weak legs when I walk ( like I ran 10 miles).

I've had multiple blood tests, a CT scan, and specialist who deals with vertigo, bppv, and menieres. And everything comes back normal.

I was in a bad car accident 13 years ago and ended up with a fractured skull that goes up my forehead. I used to abuse alcohol up until 2 years ago when I went cold turkey for 1 year and now drink on occation. One week prior I did drink quite a bit but didn't think anything of it until now. I smoke almost a pack and day. And I paint for a living.

I have an apt. With an ENT some time in January which is a long long time away. For now I'm outsourcing trying to find possible answers natural or medical to help me. Maybe someone has been in my shoes and knows how to deal with it, I have been off work for a month scared to walk or drive and am going stir crazy sitting in my house day after day, waiting for this to stop.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. You are experiencing repeated episodes of dizziness, nystagmus and a sense of disassociation. These symptoms could occur with problems in the inner ear, the brain and the cranial nerves. It could also be due to Vitamin B12 deficiency. Please consult your primary care physician who will do an initial clinical assessment and then may refer you to a neurologist. Investigations like X rays and MRI will help to arrive at a diagnosis for appropriate therapy.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for the response, I will keep you informed as I learn more. I have a question about your response. If it were the brain or cranial nerves area, are there certain things that trigger this kind of issue or can it be brought on by anything at anytime with no explanation? And are there ways to fix those types of problems or is the damage perminate?
So I have done mri of the brain, ct of the brain sinus and ear bones, vng test, X-ray of lungs, ECG, and blood tests like white cell count, plazma ect. I've seen the ent doctor who says my ears are fine, and I seen my neurologist who says that all tests came back fine. He gave me vestibular rehab exercises to do and to try get my anxiety under control. He didn't clarify what the cause of dizziness was.

I have a few questions to ask because I have run out of ideas. Is there anything in the organs besides the heart/lungs that could cause dizziness? Or effect the brain to cause dizziness.
And because I was laying for months and not doing much activities at all, so is it common to loose balance? When I walk it feels like I'm being pulled to the left. Could that be due to laying 24/7 for so long?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Besides the heart and lungs, inner ear problems can cause dizziness. Others could be due to postural hypotension, a condition in which the peripheral arteries dilate, leading to pooling of blood in the peripheries. This in effect causes decreased circulation of blood resulting in dizziness/lightheadedness. This is more pronounced if the person stands up from a lying down position. This is detected by recording the blood pressure recordings in the sitting, standing and lying down positions. If the variations in blood pressure recordings are more than 10 mmHg, it is diagnosed as postural hypotension/Orthostatic Hypotension. Please check with your doctor to rule out this condition.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I completely understand how you are feeling!!!!! It's been just over 7 weeks for me currently feeling SOME of what you said:
dizziness, off balance and feels like I'm extremely drunk when I walk, eye movement (my eyes aren't actually moving, but it feels as if I'm on a boat) and weak legs when I walk ( like I ran 10 miles).
I have to hold on to things because I am afraid I will fall. The only test I've had done so far is a CT Scan which was done a couple of days ago. I don't know the results. My appt with an ENT isn't until JUNE 19th because that's the earliest they could get me in!!!!!! I seriously feel like I'm going to be like this forever from what I've read online with people suffering the same way.

I wish you well, jsum555. I hope we are BOTH back on here soon saying that our lives are back to NORMAL.
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your dizzy issue. I have a few things to tell you that will hopefully help. Because of this problem I've had to deal with not working and waiting for doctors apts. your symptoms may improve on there own or they may continue. The first thing I can tell you is get the thought outta your head that you will be like this forever. That causes anxiety that just increases your symptoms. Think about your life. Up until 7 weeks ago you were fine right?. And for years and years you were fine. Most cases get better, some stay there or get worse because of doing the wrong things, like laying down and trying to keep comfortable. I did that and it actually weakens your vestibular system more. I would recommend a few things for you to do in the mean time.
1) while waiting for the doctors apts, don't self diagnosis. For me I'd spend hrs on the Internet looking into dizziness, the problem is that there are over 100 causes.
2) I would try call the ent doctor office. Be very nice when speaking to the secretary, ask her if it is possible that you be put in the cancelation list. Tell them you will come on short notice . And briefly explain that you concerned for your health and that if they can help you it would be greatly appreciated. Also don't be afraid to call a lot. You may think your bothering them,  but its your health.
3) go to a physio therapist that deals with vertigo/dizziness/balance. It may cost like 100 bucks the first time, but they can try ***** you, and give you exercises to strengthen parts of your body that can cope with dizziness. You have 4 parts to balance, eyes,ears, muscles and joints in the legs and back.
4) look into your diet(what you eat on a daily basis) try keep sugars and salts to a minimum. Take vitamins, stop drinking all pops and slow down on coffee for now., just stick to juices and water. Research gmo's and aspartame they are dangerous.
5) finally look in your mouth, do you have any or a lot of silver fillings? Mercury poisoning/heavy metals are bad for you. And can put your whole body outta wack.

Most of this stuff can seriously affect your health even if its not the cause. Always a good thing to look into, people don't stress about there health if its good. Only until something bad happens. STAY POSITIVE. Things will get better I'm sure. I hope this helped you and if you have any other questions please ask. I've done a lot in the past 6 months to find answers just to find that there is a possibilty that you may not get any. I haven't gotten any answers so I'm doing the exercises and eating healthy and working out.

Good luck and keep in touch....;)
Also if your limited to normal activities keep your mind occupied. Get a hobby anything to help get your mind off of the dizziness. You have 4 entities and you need to keep using them. Spiritual, so believe in something, even nothing is still believing. Physical, you gotta eat good sleep good and walk etc. psychological, keep your mind active,but also give it peace, like music, movies, meditation. And social, talk to people, not texting or emailing but on the phone or in person. Having positive people around you is good, and talk about other things not dizziness. It's hard for people to relate if they haven't experienced it.

Hope this helps.
thank you so much for taking the time to write me a bunch of ideas to try. i do make myself walk around my house. i MAKE myself. and it's so difficult. it feels like i'm floating off the ground and can't quite grip the ground with my feet. does that make sense??
yeah, stress does make it worse and i noticed that. but even when i am calm it's still bad. not AS bad. but bad. i try not to think it will go on forever, but you know, i can't remember what it feels like to NOT feel like this. i can't remember what it's like to walk around my house or out somewhere and not feel off balance and dizzy. so sometimes that gets to me and i cry.

i do feel like staying in my bed and not moving, but that's not possible since i'm a mom of two boys and i have to do stuff for them.

also, i try to keep doing what i like such as writing, sketching, etc. i had to quit my photography job though and it's really been stressing.

regarding calling the ENT to be on a cancellation list. i tried that. she said "we don't have a cancellation list because it would be too long."

sigh....

i am going to a naturopathic doctor on monday for the first time. i am also looking in to vestibular therapy. you said you were given exercises to do? did they help at all?? what were they??

have you noticed any changes for the positive? because you posted in september and said it'd been 7 weeks. that means you've been like this since the summer, right?

one doctor told me he thinks it's all stress and says i should be on an anti-depressant. i was on one of those before and it wasn't pretty. i gained 100lbs. i've been off of it for over a year and lost 63lbs and i'd like to keep going that way.

i'm trying my best to figure this out, but i find it very, very difficult to be hopeful. i know that is very pessimistic, but i just find it really had to be positive when i feel like crap all the time.

Yes I have been dizzy for over 5 months and its constant. I'm a dad of one and one more on the way. I feel the same as you for the most part. Except I feel better during the day and worse at night. Are you from Canada or USA? If your in Canada then I'd say that if your doctor referred you to the ent then you can do your own research and call around to see if you can find one that's faster.thats what I did.

As for the floating I get that when I'm laying straight on my back. It's called disequilibrium syndrome. There are many causes of that so don't look into it so much.

I did the natural path thing too. I found it to cost money and really not necessary. But still go, just don't buy everything until you do research, and when you do buy stuff buy the smallest bottle because if your like me some stuff hurts my stomach.

As for the vestibular rehab, it helps in certain situations. Because my dizziness is postional and motion it helps when I lay or stand up. I still have to push through. I've only been doing it for 3 weeks. As time goes you add more exercises in. I started with 2 and now added a third. If you live in Canada go to LIFE MARK and where I live which is edmonton there's a good place called CSA physio. They are good too.

Antidepressants are bad but sometimes nessesary. And I've been told stress and anxiety too by several doctors. But I see that yes stress makes it worse but to me the doctors just say that because they can't find the cause. It actually makes me mad when they say that.

Don't feel too bad I feel the same as you so your not alone. It's nice to talk to someone I can relate to. No one knows how i feel so when i explain it they all say ur fine or cant respond because they dont understand. Which is hard even for me to explain let alone feel.
If you go one you tube look up vestibular rehabilitation. There are so many and it really depends on what will work for you. Ask yourself what things make the dizziness get worse. Basically there are common things that trigger dizziness. And the fun part is that the exercises are certain positions that make you get dizzy. You repeat them to strengthen your system or compensate
For me it doesn't matter if it's morning or night. It's all the same. I am also Canadian. I live in Ontario.
I've researched Life Mark and there is a place outside of my city.

You said you called around to find an ENT that's faster to get in to, but I would still need a referral, right? This is the only ENT in my city and it *****.

I get the floating when I'm lying on my back as well. Only that just started a couple of weeks ago and I had no idea what was happening.

So the Naturopathic place didn't help you? She's a friend of mine, so that's why I'm giving it a shot, but I am afraid to try to medications she gives me because my stomach is ultra sensitive.

I won't take an anti-depressant unless I was SURE it would take away all of this.
And since it's not likely to do that, I won't be taking one.

Now you said you're doing vestibular rehabilitation exercises. Have you found that they've helped you at ALL??

Is there any hope at all?? Because I'm really afraid.

Did you end up going back to work?
Ya you will still need a referral for any specialist you see. The floating thing is really messed up, It's only happened afew times to me but I could live without it. I'm saying you should see the natural path for sure. You only really have 2 choices that or meds. Remember doctors can really only fix broken bones or colds n simple stuff. Everything else under the moon is treating the symptoms not the cause. Doctors still haven't figured out much in the past 60 years. Last cure was polio right.  I truly believe in what you put in the body is what you get out of the body. Don't be scared of natural meds. Have you ever heard of someone dying for natural supplements? It's what the body Needs and the with the way we eat now a days I think it's a good thing.

As for the vestibular rehab. There hasn't been drastic improvements, but im only 3 weeks in. I can now drive to the store and get milk or whatever, and when I lay down or get up its not a difficult. It's not a quick fix. But you might find that it gets worse at first. Which it does, but you have to push through it. I'm now walking my dog for an hr a day which before I couldn't,  because of pure fear leaving the house.

In the past 3 weeks I've learnt a few things about this. One if your going to get dizzy it's going to happen and you can't be scared of it. I'm mean don't jump out of a plane :). You have to learn to fight it. Learn what triggers it and makes it worse, then try not to do those things as fast. 2) try replace the fear with a good thought. So when I start to get scared of falling or getting dizzy around people I think about a good time I had when I was a kid or I try picture myself by a waterfall with the sun beating on my face and a cool breeze blowing against my back. It won't stop the dizziness but instead of panic I trick the brain to make it less intense. It'll take practise for sure.

Also look up neuroplasticity, it's the idea that you can retrain the brain or actually regenerate neurons. Sidney Crosby used these special doctors called chiropractic neurologists to get him back in the game when he got hit from behind. He was suffering from the same things we are.

And finally if your lucky this is something temporary and will get better like a virus or something simple like bppv. But if it ends up being something a little more serious there are treatments. Even for ms. They are starting to use stem cells to repair problems. I have looked online and talked to many doctors all over North America via email and if you are curious about anything just ask. I am one of those people that will always fight and look for answers. If so done tells me I can't do it its just i encouragement to prove them wrong.  
Im  not back to work yet, but i have my own company so i can go back when ever and i have employees aswell. Please don't be afraid. I don't want to discourage you, but if your looking for answers from doctors you might not get them. It's 50/50. I've been told by over 25 doctors and specialists that they don't know and presume its stress/anxiety. So then most of my doors are closed in the medical world. But I won't stop looking.

Hope is up to you. For months I laid in bed thinking of all the things I couldn't do, and missing out on life and my daughters life. Don't dwell on things you can't do, look at the things you still can do. And dont think about things  you can't control. Then you'll see hope. Get support from your people around you.

What were you doing when this started. Anything change in your life? Anything like even the furnace breaking down, or a bump on the head.

And what are all your symptoms? List the ones you want gone and then the rest if you can.
When you drive and are at a stop light, do you get dizzy? I find that's when I'm the most dizzy when in the car. At the store is BADDDDD. The isles are so bad. I feel like I'm floating off the ground. It's so weird. I hate it.

When you said you can walk your dog for an hour... man... I got jealous! I can't walk for more than 20 minutes (and that's pushing it) without becoming very, very unbalanced and dizzy.

Neuroplasticity. I am going to look that up. Thank you.

I know it's not BPPV. It's not the same. I was actually talking with a physiotherapist who told me my vertigo is not horizontal like traditional vertigo. It's vertical. If that doesn't make sense to you, don't worry, because it didn't to me either.

Why does every doctor fall back on "it's anxiety"?? I agree that stress makes it much worse, but... it cannot be the cause of throwing my vestibular system off. Can it???

You asked if something changed in my life... well.. no bump on the head. But yes, extreme stress for about 8 months steady. I mean extreme... grief and the health of my little boy. So those two things combined made for a nasty time. But this started slowly and I noticed it only happening for about an hour a day and then it was gone. And then a bit longer and it would leave and then it was just constant.
I don't even want to get out of bed because I'm afraid. But I DO because I have to take care of my sons. I don't have a choice. I am not able to lay in bed or lay down for a long time. I make myself do all the stuff I would normally do: dishes, laundry, cleaning, etc. It is just VERY difficult because of my balance and because I feel nauseous often with this.
Sometimes the tv or the floor seem to jump at me. It's so weird!

I was going to go to the eye doctor tomorrow, but I honestly know it's not my eyes and since it would cost me $105 I've decided to wait until May because that's when OHIP will pay for the appt. If I truly believed it was my eyes causing this, I'd be there. I made the appt out of desperation.

All my symptoms?? OMG. That will take forever to list, but I will try:

-feeling like i'm on a boat and trying to get my sea legs
-feeling like i'm walking on Fun House floors where the floors are uneven
-feeling like i'm floating a few inches off the floor
-feeling like i'm going to fall out of my chair...like i'm not secure in the chair
-feeling like i'm falling even when i'm lying on my back
-movements such as other people knocking their knees together while sitting gets me. if i see that movement, i begin to feel dizzy and unbalanced
-brushing my teeth and the slight movement of doing so makes me have to lean on the wall and close my eyes to be able to finish
-washing my hands causes the same sensations as brushing my teeth does
-my world isn't spinning like with traditional vertigo (which i've had before on a few occasions)... it's more like very off balanced and dizzy
-my brain or eyes feel like they're in a dream state often and then after that happens, i start to feel more off balanced
-the position i am in or turning my head quickly or sudden movements does NOT seem to change or make better or worsen my symptoms. they remain the same. it's a constant state of being.

P.S I've had the Epley Maneuver done and the doctor couldn't get my eyes to go wonky at all, that is another reason they don't feel it's the usual vertigo ...I've had that vertigo before and this isn't the same at all.
Yes when I stop at a light it's worse. Same as in a store and down isles.
Don't be jealous. For months I couldn't walk outside my house.
I understand that it's vertical. I've falln a couple times. And when I stare at something my vision kinda goes up and down. No eye movements, but feels like I'm on a boat.
Your brain is very powerful, and I believe that it can change the way the chemicals react therefore changing how the body deals with things.
Tv makes me feel better because my trigger is when I stare at something. Like focus on one thing in the room. Then I can't keep a vision stable.
What kind of eye doctor are you going to see?optomatrist or optamolgist? I seen the normal eye doctor ( optomatrist ) but now waiting to see the specialist ( optamolgist ) they know much more ant the eye and do the surgery if nessesary.

Your symptoms seem to be close to mine for the most part excerpt I get dizzy in different positions. If your not getting nystigma or eye movement then I don't think it's your ears. But it could still be sending wrong info to the brain, or the brain or the eyes. And in some cause your back or legs. You need to do more tests. From what I've read, usually one of those things aren't working properly so they send a different message then the other ones and the brain goes scrambled causing dizziness or off balance
Or it could be viral too. If at some point things just get better theft thats what it was. But you need to do more tests to rule out other things. Did you look up the vestibular things on you tube yet?
When I look at something it's bad too. It's like I can't keep focus on it though. It's weird. My eyes feel jumpy. Sometimes dream-state like too though.

It was just a normal eye doctor, but I canceled the appt because I honestly don't think this has to do with my eyes.

I wish it was just viral and would bugger off, but it's been so long.... I don't think that's it.

I see my doctor tomorrow.... I have to make him understand what this is doing to me and to independence and to my life.
That's really weird about the eyes. But I get that too. Exactly the same. I can't figure it out but its strange hey.

Good luck with the doctor. But don't be in suck if they shrug it off. Dizziness if a huge complaint. Like 40% of all visits are from dizziness. And most doctors figure that it'll just run its coarse.

If your looking for a miracle drug that isn't much. Most just suppress the brain. And it's only short term, once you get off drugs you'll be worse then before.

I know you've been suffering for a couple months, but if what ever we have is the same Ito probably be this way for a bit. As I'm working on close to 6 months now. You should really really do the vestibular rehab.

N I guess if ether of us actually get a diagnosis then we can tell each other what the problem was. Play it off together. At the end of the day this just plain out *****
http://texasneurosciences.com/dizziness.htm
Check this site out. It may help you explain your symptoms. Or you may be able to figure out which part is bugging you.
Oh crap, I meant to tell you that I begin vestibular therapy next wednesday! I am not sure what it will do since you said it hasn't helped you much. :/

But it's worth a shot, right??

The drug my one doctor gave me was Clonazepam because he thinks it's 'just stress'..... It did nothing. I felt the same way as before... AND stoned.

What drugs did you try? You mentioned they are short term and you feel worse then before after taking them. I want to make sure I don't take those in case he mentions them to me.

Oh trust me, I know I'm in it for a long time. I think about you and how long it's been and that's what gets me down even further. We are just strangers to each other, but I feel like you are supporting me and I really, really appreciate it.

And if I EVER get answers to this, I will not switch off this site. I will help you and anyone else I can.

...And yeah... it's total crap.

I will absolutely check out that site. Thank you.
My doctor gave me Ativan. Not a fan of drugs that make me high. The rehab is working, I just don't see huge things yet. Slow n steady.
I'm here to try help but am looking for help/ideas as well. And I really appreciate it.
I don't know what the drugs are called, but let me know how your doctor thing goes.
I have to stress to you that the vestibular thing may in fact work with you. It takes time. 3 months is the regular process. And this Thursday will be 4 weeks for me. If it done snot work it'll at least keep you busy while you wait for the answer or get better on your own. I think about a month ago, and I wasn't even the same person. I couldn't leave the house and I couldn't do much without getting dizzy fast. Like I said now I can walk my dog for bits of time drive a bit do stuff around the house and sit for the day without laying down. It's important you try because laying all day made me worse in the long run. You will at least build up a tolorence so you can kinda function.
Ativan! ...Wow....

My doctor was stumped when I saw him today. ALMOST brushed me off again with the 'anxiety' thing. Almost.... but my husband was with me and stared him down. So now he's sending me for an MRI to check something in my ear and is going to try to get me into another ENT... one who will see me sooner than June 19th.

I'm so happy that you can do more stuff. I think that is wonderful. That gave me a ray of hope.

I don't lay down at all ...I sit sometimes, but I don't lay down. But that wonderful link you gave me in your last message was great because it said to not sit or lay down because it can actually prevent the vestibular system from healing or make it so it can't heal.

So with that said, I'm off the computer. I will let you know anything else I figure out or find out.

You and I are dizzy buddies now.
Ok yes let me know how those tests go.

I'm  always checking up on here. If you get better let me know and I'll do the same.

Talk soon dizzy buddy :)
I went to a naturopathic doctor yesterday. She gave me Vertigoheel. Have you tried that? I haven't yet. She said for me to start slowly since I am super sensitive to any form or medication (natural or not).
I tried something like that. Didn't work for me. Not sure y but let me know how that works out. I also tried serk. From the doctor which didn't help ether. But keep up your hope. I'm having a bad day today. Feels like ill be this way forever. I hate that thought, I need inspiration
I just got back from an MRI... I was put on the cancellation list and was in two days after I was told I was being sent for one.

The Vertigoheel isn't working for me either. Serc sucked. Made it WAY worse.

And I am also having a day where I'm feeling discouraged. I'm trying to find inspiration too. It's like I'm running in circles.

We WILL get through this. We have to.

Think of what you told me... You are different than a month ago when you couldn't leave your house. Now you can walk your dog and sit and do stuff around your house. Keep holding on to that thought!!! You're moving forward, not backward.
Thanks, I want us and everyone else suffering to get better. I do see improvements but then It'll come back for a bit. I will continue as that's all I have.

Good to hear about your mri. I hated doing it. It freaked me out being in there. Let me know about your results.

I really wonder if its some type of virus we have that they can't pick up on tests.
Just another quick question, do you drink at all? I know having kids limits it to only sometimes. But I noticed this happened shortly after I went out. Like maybe a week after. Doctors don't believe it has anything to do with it because my motor skills are fine. But when I asked you if anything had changed or did you do something different. Maybe that has something to do with it.
No, I don't drink. I'm 37 and I've never actually been drunk. I have wine perhaps once a year. And it's a glass. Or half a glass. That's it.

I have noticed that I have two days in a row that are almost bearable. I mean, I can function pretty well (not 100%... but...tolerable).
And then bam.. back to the way it normally is for about 5 or 6 days. Do you ever get like that??

The MRI was horrid. I had a panic attack begin twice and I had to breathe the hell out of it for it to go away. I pictured tons of stuff and was able to get through it.

I have wondered about the virus thing too... but... my doctor said it would have run its course by now. But I've read that sometimes extreme stress/worry/anxiety can prolong viruses. And this is pretty effin' stressful, right?

Did you ever try an antidepressant? Sometimes I wonder if there IS a magic pill.

I am going to try to find a way to private message you and give you my email address as well.
Use it if you want and if not, that's okay too.

I think you would benefit most if you saw a neurologist.
I was going to offer you the same thing but I didn't want to scare you or seem creepy. Ill message you in you message box and give you my email address. That way you can give me a shout.and then we can talk there a bit more
I've seen many many doctors including a neurologist. Running out of doctors to see and tests to do.
Hi, I just ran across this. I have been suffering dizziness/ vertigo/ fainting for 4 years. It came on suddenly, with no warning except, looking back, two years before, I spent a day at an amusement park. I have always been tolerant of rides. The next day I woke up and couldn't walk.
I would put my foot where I thought the floor was, only to fall. That lasted two days. Then no more dizziness until 4 years ago.
I don't think the two were related, I'm not sure.

When the dizziness hit 4 years ago, it was scary, and constant. I was also fainting as well on occasions. I had to hold a wall to walk, driving was out of the question. It was very depressing. The first break wasn't for 6 months.

There are in fact viruses that can cause this and last a year or more. That's not might case, but as above poster says, there are over 100 reasons.

I empathize the Drs blowing it off. If they check and you aren't seriously ill ( brain tumor) they just treat the symptoms, and it's highly frustrating.

I just want you all to know I do get breaks. Months sometimes, where I only get dizzy upon standing to fast, etc. like normal people get dizziness!

For me, not a single medicine for dizziness helped. The compression stockings did help some. But don't just buy them. They can cause clots if not indicated. Have either of you had a table tilt test done? Kind of what the person was talking about above, checking the BP in different positions, only a table tilt is more intense.

Your strapped to a board, and placed upright, while having your HR and BP checked every minute. You also have an EKG monitor attached. It's a hard test. But very definitive for checking blood pressure swings.

I want to offer hope. Seems hard to say when I have been dealing with this for 4 years, but, at least I know there are breaks.

I am still searching a cure too. But this, along with other medical conditions that hit at the same time, made me to sick to work. So I had to get disability, which I didn't pursue right away, thinking it all would pass. So I lost my insurance. I don't qualify for low income free health care ( USA) but can purchase Medicare insurance in Sept. You have to be on disability two years here to be eligible for that.
Then I plan to hit every Dr I can. Out of state. I exhausted in state Drs while I still had insurance.

I know first hand how frustrating this is, and the only thing that keeps me going is Hope. The medical field is making amazing strides in reaserch. I want you both to keep your hope too.
It's so important. As hard as it is to do, know this, your symptoms will be worse if you give up.

In a bad spell, I don't drive. ( spells last weeks or months) in a good spell, I limited my driving to ten miles or so, in case the occasional one hits that happens during good spells.

I'm curious, do either of you notice an impact with food? Or certain foods?

I have attacks after eating sometimes. They not only include dizziness, but a strange reaction. The food makes me so sleepy. But it's not normal sleepy. It's like I have been given anesthesia. It's impossible to stay awake. I could do jumping jacks, and still pass out and go to sleep while standing. -- that's an example, I don't really do jumping jacks, but have tried sticking my head in the freezer, dribbling ice water on my head and face, hot showers, ice cold showers, 5 hour energy shots, everything.. I'm simply saying nothing will keep me awake. Not everytime I eat.. Just some. So I'm going to start a food diary.

Also to mention I was on only my prescription Xanax, which I took as directed always  when this started, nor did I drink. I stopped the Xanax to see, but it wasn't that.

I'm chronic Vit D deficiency, salt and B-12 since then too, and the prescriptions of the above still don't bring my levels to normal.

I thought I was the only one dealing with something like this, for so long.

Don't give up hope, above all else.
Hey,
Yes I notice I get dizzy with certain foods. But that might just be a coincidence. My symptoms seeing to get worse when tired or at night. I want to keep hope and I'm trying. But this is brutal and seems at times never ending. I hav not done that table test. Didn't even know it existed. Most doctors seem to say my
Hey,
Yes I notice I get dizzy with certain foods. But that might just be a coincidence. My symptoms seeing to get worse when tired or at night. I want to keep hope and I'm trying. But this is brutal and seems at times never ending. I hav not done that table test. Didn't even know it existed. Most doctors say its almost concussion like. I was in a bad car accident 13 yrs ago but nothing like this until now. Seems weird to me if they were related. Bt at least we can try get thought this together right.
no, i don't notice any food making it worse or better, but i did begin to see a naturopathic doctor who told me that (according to the natural medical world) there is a connection between diary and vertigo. So.... that being said, she asked me to quit all dairy to see if that helps (difficult to do for a vegetarian).

now i've only been off dairy for two days, but no noticeable changes. she also gave me Vertigoheel and it does nothing to help. i've read wonderful reviews about it, but apparently it just isn't for me.

it's quite challenging to not give up and i'm the one who has dealt with this for the least amount of time (between you and i and jsum555).
there are no breaks for me. not even a minute here and there.

it's actually gotten worse since the end of december... i know that because i was able to go for a hike then. i couldn't do that now. not at all.

there have got to be answers out there. it's just  to find them.

... this entire situation is frustrating and emotionally and physically draining.
I had similar symptoms a few months back that got progressively worse until I eventually bought a cane to walk around the house. No problems when driving though. The anxiety also really gets to you.

As it turns out it was a simple case of impacted wax in my left ear. ENT removed in a minute and it took a little while before everything felt 100% again. But the anxiety can linger a bit longer depending on how long you've had the symptoms; which is why I suggest getting to an ENT ASAP and doing whatever it takes to get it checked.
Just to clarify,  a list of my symptoms before the impacted ear wax removal:

Dizziness
Unnatural motion feeling when walking
Foggy mental state on occasion
Sometimes a feeling of motion in bed.
Symptoms worse at night and in the dark in general.
Also affected after drinking alcohol
Became progressively worse over 3 months with some good periods and bad periods. Until it was almost always bad.

Hope this can help someone.
Your symptoms (that you had) are basically my symptoms, although I do have a few more than that. Unfortunately I do not have an ENT appt until June 19th as that is the soonest they could get me in. I have actually considered buying a cane and frequently feel I will need a wheelchair if I need to go to any stores. I've had a doctor look in my ears and see nothing. So I'm not sure what an ENT can see more than he did.
Hey. Both my GP and even a specialist physician checked my ears and found nothing. 'Everything seems fine'  they said. And just put me on antibiotics before I eventually went to the ENT and he found the problem.

Don't wait till June. Try and find another solution ASAP. It could save you months of anxiety.
So when you did see the ent, what tool did he use to find out what the problem was. Like how did he diagnos you with the wax build up?
Saw the ENT three months or so from when the symptoms started,  after antibiotics had no effect. Which was about two months ago. He used a similar tool to which GP's use to check ears just it is much bigger and more complex. He spotted immediately that he couldn't see properly into my left ear because I had wax build-up. He then used a long device with a small hook on the end to painlessly remove pinky quite a relatively large wax ball.

This wax can be hitting a nerve in your ear which causes all those symptoms. And it was as simple as that.
I forgot to mention I also had a naturopathic doctor look into my ears with the same device my doctor used, although she turned it around the pushed it and reeeeealllly looked in my ears.

i'd love to think it's as simple as that for me and for jsum555... but... i know personally i don't have such luck.
p.s. i don't want to wait for the ENT, but that's the soonest they could have me seen.. however... i did see my doctor last week and he said he'd try to get me to another ENT sooner (one outside my city). that was tuesday of last week that he said that, but hasn't called me about it.