Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Dry Mucous Membranes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Dry Mucous Membranes

Hello-

I've been having problems the last two and a half months with my mucous membranes being quite dry. I also have dry skin all over my body (normally my skin is quite soft/moisturized.) My eyes, mouth and nose are very dry all the time now and it is uncomfortable to say the least. I'm hoarse all the time now, and the mucus in my nasal passages is the consistency of glue (sorry, kinda gross), so it makes it difficult to breathe at times. My primary doctor (internist), dermatologist, and naturopath all thought/think I have an autoimmune disease, yet my tests are always negative. My primary did a large battery of autoimmune marker tests and they were all negative. He did RF factor, anti-DNA, ANA, C3, C4, anti-cardio-somethingorother and tests for Sjogren's, Scleroderma, Lupus, and a few others that I'm forgetting. I had autoimmune tests done at 4 and 2 years ago as well for other symptoms, all negative as well.

My problem is the dryness is getting rather severe, and my gums, lips and throat are drying to the point of pain and little tears forming. I don't know what to do to help soothe the dryness while my doctors are trying to figure out what's going on. I've tried using Biotene mouthwash, I use eyedrops now (organic brand), I'm eating a lot of mango as I was told it helps encourage saliva production by a nurse, drinking lots of water, I bought saline nasal drops, etc, etc, all these things are helping very little. If anyone has any advice on what to do to help with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Other than what you have already tried, I can't really think of anything.
Try posting this on the Alternative Therapies or Complementary Medicine Forums...they have very knowledgeable people in those forums that may have better answers for you.