Ear, Nose & Throat Community
EARS POP WHEN I SWALLOW

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

EARS POP WHEN I SWALLOW

Almost every time I swallow my ears pop.  Sometimes both at the same time, sometimes just the left, then a few minutes later the right.  I have had tinnitus since my early 20's from rock concerts (they say).  I am now 47.  I've tried to protect my hearing ever since, but went to a concert a few months ago and noticed an increase in the tinnitus - then this problem with my ears popping.  Are they related?  What can I do about it?  It feels as if my ears are under water.  Went to the ER where they diagnosed Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and was given antihistimines, which only make me groggy.
Hi Brian,

you have not mentioned since how many days you are having this popping in the ear? Did you have an attack of cold preceding this problem? Well, as of now what you are having is an Eustachian tube dysfunction. You have to get an Impedance audiometry and Pure tone audiometry done to confirm the diagnosis.

Try doing some steam inhalations with plain water so this improve the function of the Eustachian tube. Take Tab. Neurobion forte once a day for a month and Tab. Beta histine 16mg 3 times a day for a week which might reduce the tinnitus. But try to the get the above mentioned  investigations done at the earliest.

Take care, bye.

with regards
OHNS2010
Popping of ears as you have described indicates Eustachian tube dysfunction, a connection between back of the nose and the middle ear that normally serves to ventilate the middle ear cavities which is important for the middle ear function. Diseases of nose and sinuses may compromise eustachian tube function to a varying extent. ENT surgeon will be able to identify the possible cause and treat accordingly. As regards the Tinnitus, as per your description sounds to be secondary to noise induced hearing loss that would be evident from pure tone audiogram. All that you need to do is prevent your ears from any kind of loud noise as that may cause a sudden collapse of your hearing. Regarding Tinnitus usually there is central adaptation and with time you may notice a decline in its intensity. However, if it troublesome you may use remedies like a pocket radio under the pillow when going to sleep or use a tinnitus masker, a hearing aid like device, if your tinnitus is bothering you much. Regards