Ear, Nose & Throat Community
EXTREME CASE OF TONSILITIS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

EXTREME CASE OF TONSILITIS

severe, Pain, infections, swollen, tonsillitis, mono, monocytosis, Strep Throat, streptococcus, bacteria, virus, viral, abacterial, , , , ,
9 Days ago, I started having a small throat and little by little within a day or two, my tonsils were inflamed so much that I could not eat!! On Sunday before labor day I went to the emergency room and the idiot doctor, without tests, said its strep throat. He gave me a shot of Antibiotics (I think it was Ampicilin) and sent me home with Augmentin. The pain started getting worse and swelling even worse. Two days later, I could not even swallow my saliva so I went to see an ENT. Both Strep and Mono came negative.  He gave me a Cortisone shot and changed my Antibiotics to Biaxin. The cortisone helped for the rest of the day and the next day, same pain came back! I called him and he put me on 5 days of Prednisone 40mg/day!! I' on day 4 of Prednisone now and am afraid when I'm done with the Prednisone, the pain will come back. The inflammation has NOT gone down AT ALL and I still cannot eat any food but I can swallow my saliva and have juices, drinks or shakes. I tried eating sold food and now some of the food is stuck in the tonsils and is bothering me.
By the way, my only symptoms is swollen tonsils and glands around it  with white patches, extremely painful when swallowing or not pain goes all the way to ears and all neck with most glands in neck swollown + slight fever that comes and goes. My spleen and liver are not enlarged (my doctor checks 5 days ago) . no coughing, no sneezing, no runny nose.
Do you think this a bacterial infection? or viral? How long will this last? It has been 9 days so far!!!!!

ANY help would be appriciated.

I would appreciate any help!!!
BUMP