Earache and neck spasm
I have had a pulled muscle in my neck for about 5 days.  Yesterday I went to my GP and found that I also have an inner ear infection.  Later that day I went to my chiropractor (mistake I think) and he adjusted my painful neck.  Things got worse after that...my neck started spasmimg whenever I swallowed wrong, coughed or moved at all.  Every few hours I have this unbearable throbbing behind my right ear inside my skull.  Heat is the only thing that helps (psychologically anyways).  I haven't slept much in 5 days, that last 2 were the worst.  Was going to the chiro a bad idea?  Why would he have adjusted me?  I screamed when he did it and he looked more nervous than I did.  What the heck is wrong with my ear or neck?  Does one compound the other?  The doc-in-a-box that I went to said to see an ENT if the pain isn't better, but I can't drive at this point.  I know ear swelling will eventually go away on its own, but what is this incredible throbbing behind my ear that brings me to tears only to have it gone in about 40 minutes leaving only neck spasms?
I am having the same problem.  Have your doctor check you for a mastoid infection.  I'm currently on antibiotics and the neck pain and severe pain behind the  ear is better, but it hasn't completely helped.  I'm still having throbbing and some swelling. Maybe it takes more than a few days for the drugs to work. If anyone has any other suggestions please let us know.