Endlessly itchy wet ears
Since I was a child I have had ear problems but over the past few years I have had increasingly maddening ear problems.  I have used drops and anti biotics.  I sense relief then the symptoms return.  Most days I can hear but am constantly aware that my ears are itchy.  The challenge is to not itch.  If I itch, I usually get flaky stuff that I literally can lift off my inner ear.If I itch too much it becomes wet and begins draining a wet clear fluid.  Then at night, whatever side I lay on clogs shut.  In the morning there is thick crusty crud that again I try not to pick at.  Im obviously in continual circle of symptoms here.  Dr's seem to think I cause this problem by itching which causes infection which causes itchiness. HELP please?  I am open to homeopathic suggestions as mainstream medicine just seems to temporarily relieve the symptoms and not cure the cause.  Thanks in advance
I've had the same problem with my ears for about 30 years now off and on, sometimes it has gone away for a while, I'm not sure why...but has been constant for a few years now.   About 30 years ago I had a doctor, his name was Dr.Osheroff, I haven't seen or heard of him in years, anyway he told me it was some type of a fungus or mold and gave me some white cream from a tube that he just happen to have in his office, he gave me some in a little container (so I don't know what the name of it was, now I wish I would have asked) and instructed me to apply some with a q-tip he handed me, immediatly the itching stopped, it was like a miracle, what a huge relief!  I seem to remember only actually using it for about a week, I'm not even sure I had to use up the little container of it.  But I do know that It took care of the problem for years.  Now that the problem is back I've looked in our local phone book for the doctor to no avail.    Problem definately could be fungus, which would explain weepy, crawly feeling in ears........also seems worse after sugar comsumption (sugar feeds yeast).      
I have many of the same problems.  The doctor said I had seborrheic dermititis - which can also show up as flaky skin around your nose and mouth.  Using a prescription co-steroid cream helped the flaky itchy skin - - still dealing with the liquid running out of my ear.....
If the ear doctor doesn't help - see a dermatologist....
I'm no doctor, but been there, had that..........have them check for fungal infection or yeast! Betcha a week or two of distilled vinegar drops in your ear will eliminate this! Works better than the otc Lotrimin drops for ears! Hope this helps you...!
Funny tung
Let me try this again.  I recently used a dandruff shampoo and almost immediately the running of my ears slowed down to a near halt but now I have scaly skin in the outer ear with incessant ringing and my sense of smell is stronger.  Does this make sense?
It's kind of reassuring to read this thread and know that I'm not alone in being driven mad by ear itch. I also get the wetness at night or if I scratch too hard. I usually scratch with my pinky so I have to make sure the nail is short so I don't do any damage. My doctor looks in my ears and sees nothing unusual, just a bit of redness from my scratching, and occasionally some "excess" wax in one ear. Here's what he told me.
I am in a viscious circle of itching and scratching. My ears have become addicted to scratching and they need their "fix" regularly. But just like all addicts the more scratching I give them the more they want. I have to stop giving them their fix, so as to break the maddening circle. So I am trying this. I have now gone about 30 hours without touching my ears and it has been extremely difficult, because the itch is close to unbearable at times, and it is especially difficult at night because I get woken up by the intense itch and I have to remember to just bear it. I don't know how long it will take or whether it will even work, but I am going to give it my best shot. I was able to quit smoking many years ago, and I can telll you that this is just as difficult, if not more so.
I will keep you all informed.

ktb
I have to also admit it is so nice to hear there are others just like me.  I've tried lots of different things to get rid of this.  My doctor told me to try 50% vinegar + 50% alcohol....burns like crazy!!! and is difficult to do because it smells up my bedroom and drive's my wife crazy.  I also can't do it during the day because my coworkers would smell it as well.  I've tried squirting water into my ears to clean them out using the blue-bulb thing someone else mentioned.  that seems to help a little bit and i see lots of dry white skin and q-tip peices come out.  this is driving me crazy and i can't believe there's no remedy yet.  One thing that has also helped a little was putting a small amount of cortizone anti-itch (odor free) on a q-tip and putting that in my ears before leaving for work.  At night it gets pretty bad too.  I've woke myself up because i was itching my ear and didn't even know it.  and ya, when they get really bad they get that clear fluid that sits in there.  what is going on here??????  oh, i should mention this all started shortly after i got swimmers ear in both of my ears almost a year ago.  maybe i'll do as ktb is doing and try to go without itching.  good luck ktb!  i feel your pain.

rvdk
I too have itchy ears. I too have a crusty dry film, almost like dandruff of the ear. But mine is caused by a food allergy. If I eat seafood or peanut butter, it starts. If I don't, then it's gone. We didn't figure it out until I ate a bunch of crabs and the same symptom appeared on my eye lid. It's called an allergic dermatitis. Hydrocortisone helps and another produt called elidel helps, but don't use that one on your eyelids lol, made that mistake OUCH!! I really enjoy seafood though, so since my reaction isn't anaphylactic, I am sometimes willing to itch in trade for shrimp :)
I have been dealing with these same ear symptoms for most of the past year. I have been to an ENT and had my ears irrigated. I have done the vinegar drops and the hair dryer into the ear. Nothing has given me more than very temporary relief. I just stumbled across this site that looks to have a potential diagnosis/solution. (www.hillderm.com/skin-disease-treatments/itchy-ears.shtml) They call it Chronic Eczematous External Otitis and recommend prescription ear drops called DermOtic Oil. I have no idea how good the info is, but I'm going to check it out. I'm also going to look into the food allergy idea, as I'm the type that wants to know what caused this in the first place.

Thanks to you all for making me realize I'm not the only one with this crazy problem.
Just to update on my attempt to break the cycle of itch and scratch. I managed to go 3 days without scratching.(Just to clarify, when I say scratching I mean rubbing vigorously with my pinky. I don't actually scratch because I have cut the nail on my pinky very short). However I broke down in my sleep on the fourth night and my frantic scratching woke me up. So I had to start from scratch (nice pun, eh?) but this time I broke down on the second night. It seems night time is the worst for itching. So I decided I needed some help to break this addiction, as my doctor called it. I rummaged around in the medicine cabinet and found some Ketoderm cream 2% that was prescribed to me 2 years ago for athlete's foot. I figured if it could stop the itch of athletes foot (which is a form of fungus) then maybe it would work on my ears. I know I shouldn't be self prescribing like this, but doctors don't seem to have the answer. I checked on the internet for possible side effects and there were none. I have used it for 5 days now and I do think it is helping, though the itching still comes back from time to time. I'll keep at it for a couple of weeks and let you all know if it worked.

ktb
I too had similar symptoms that regular doctors could not explain.
As soon as I went to my ENT doctor and told him the vinegar drops burned he looked in my ear with a special microscope and sure enough it was ear fungus.  He scraped out my ear, swabed it with violet stuff (similar to what they do for babies with thrush) and gave me a prescription for drops that he said was the only thing that will kill fungus all of the others only keep it from multiplying.  I'll get back to you on what the prescription was.  I no longer have the itch, crust, etc. now I just have to deal with the perforated ear drum and eustation tube problems.
I have been using DermOtic oil for just over a week now. The discharge stopped after one dose. The itching took a little longer, just because the healing of my skin caused some itching. But it was only a couple days before I was totally itch free. My ears feel totally normal now--no plugging up, no fierce itching, no draining, and the skin is smooth and soft instead of crusty. I went to three different doctors for this issue and none of them suggested this prescription. The vinegar drops I tried dried out the draining and gave me temporary relief, but they didn't solve anything. These are completely soothing--they smell like baby oil--and I can't recommend them enough.
Hi, not 1  year, not 3, but 28 long years I have suffered with this ear problem.  Had several doctors tell me my ears were fine.  Sometimes I only wash my hair a couple times a week, but still thats what they said the liquid was.  I live in VT, certainly don't swim in the winter, I knew I didn't have Swimmers ear. The only help was cortisone cream, which would only help for an hour or so.   Also some cortisone drops, which never sunk in my ear canals.   I researched the web for years, sometimes I would read about someone that had a similar problem, but it just didnt completly match mine.  My ears have been worse the last few weeks, soaked in the morning, and like cornflakes the rest of the day.   My daughter kept listening to me complain and watching me dig dig dig in there.  Wrong or right I have kept the Q-Tip company in business for the last 20 years, couldn't survive without them.  My fabulous teenage daughter found this site the other night, I was knocked over the more posts she read, FINALLY, there are other people like me with this rotten problem.  Called my Dr. yesterday, picked up my prescription today for Dermotic oil, I just know this is going to be sucessful, and I so thank each and everyone of you for starting this blog.  I'll be back in a week to report, but I feel confidant that someone has finally found the answer. xoxoxoxo
I have put that oil information into my favorites.  It is reassuring to see that I am not the only person with this crazy ear thing. I too was driving my husband NUTS itching without even realizing I was chronically and continually digging.  I am so thankful mine have been in a calmer state since mistakenly getting dandruff shampoo in them. What a blessing!
Got the prescription Fri. afternoon,  Now its Sunday night , There is no crust in my ears, they are not itching and have not had any liquid draining,  This stuff is working, 30 years with this problem and it seems to be going away with just 2 days of this medicine.  Its too good to be true.  Will check in here in another day or two, damn, I AM  SO HAPPY!!!
Finaaaaaally! Some people I can actually relate to! Ever since I was 6 months old I started to get major ear infections. During my childhood, my ears were the worst. I went to my local ENT while all of these infections kept occurring. I went through so many painful procedures.I've basically gone through it all. Ear wicks, painful suctions, etc. They seemed to help me at first but then my ears got worse again. About 5 or 6 years ago, I had both my ear drums rupture at the same time. Let me tell you, that was the worst pain I think I have ever gone through. I wrapped a blanket around my head because any sound would kill my ears and I'd just rock back and forth. The pain was just unbearable. Anyways, after that my ear infections started to go away and haven't come back since. (KNOCK ON WOOD!) Hah. But for the past year or two I've had EXTREMELY itchy ears. Both of my inner ears get these irresistible itches. I use qtips all the time and I know that's so horrible but they're the only things that help me relieve the itches.I wake up in the middle of the night with the most crazy itches and it drives me insane! I hate being in public and getting ear itches because there's nothing I can do. I usually just close my ear & wait for it to go away but that's hard. I've used bobbypins and pencils just to relieve the itch in public when nobody's looking. It's so bad and I can't take it anymore. I clean my ears so much that no wax even comes out of them. I get watery ears a lot lately and I wonder what causes that. This is just really frustrating! I need to figure out what to do!
Hey, its now Wed. night, my ears feel like normal peoples ears!!!  This DERM OTIC OIL TOOK CARE OF MY EARS IN A COUPLE OF DAYS, remember I have suffered with
this for about 28 years, Thanks God my daughter found this site.
I have had itchy ears for 20 years.  I have been stuck in tan endless cycle of itch, scratch, react, crust, pick, react, itch, scratch, react, and so...
I have travelled the world with this awful complaint and have seen many doctors, ENT specialists, homeopathist doctors, professors and they all shrug it off with dermatitis.   Every cream I have tried has not worked.  I also tried the new Metascan and Nuruetrepan medication but again no luck.  
The best was Eumovate (UK, over the counter at Boots pharmacy) which stopped the itch for 4 months but then it came back and the cream doesn't work any more.

My story gets worse.  I now have constant Tinnitus and have been diagnosed with Menieres Syndrome.  My situation is now that I have severe itching in my ears, maddening high pitched white noise filling my head and feel like i've stepped off a roundabout every once in a while.
I also have problems now with changes with changes in altitude and lifts.

In my experience I would recommend the following:

1.  Avoid vaseline as it dries out the ears and makes them worse.
2.  Avoid sticking anything in your ear to scratch and pick.  Rolled up pieces of paper, cotten buds and finger nails will result in nerve damage and possibly Menieres Syndrome like me.
3.  Putting your head under the water.

If anyone can help I can be contacted at ***@****

Thanks.

(Scratch, Rub, Scratch, Fall Over...)

My doctor also said to use alcohol.  This nuisance is new to me... only a year or two of this misery.
It was like I was allergic to my own ear wax.

Then I went to a different doctor because I had a bad rash on my chest that also itched and wouldn't do away.  I told her about my ears.  She suggested using the cortizone treatment in the ears too.  It did offer temporary relief.  Now I can't hear properly out of one side... funny thing though... that ear no longer itches... but it does ring constantly and I feel like I'm under water.  

The other ear is still driving me nuts from itching.

Looking in here for help make me know that I have to make my doctor take these symptoms more seriously.
I thought I was alone.  I've been battling ear infections all my life.  I got a really bad one two months ago.  My ear drum ruptured and I've been in agony ever since.  My ear drum is healing but my left ear itches like crazy.  I keep resisting the urge to shove something in it but I have fantasies that one of these days I'm going to lose it in public.  It's driving me insane.  I see an ENT twice a week to have my ear suctioned.  Yesterday my ear canal was so swollen it closed.  I've had an ice pack on my head for 36 hours.  My jaw is swollen.  I spend all my time at work, in class or at the doctor's office.  Even worse, I live in Taiwan and my doctor speaks a minimal amount of English which makes my problem even more frustrating.  I've spent hours looking for help or others like me who might have alternate suggestions for relief.  I don't want to deal with this for the rest of my life.