Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Epiglottis visible in 2 year old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Epiglottis visible in 2 year old?

ive noticed in my 27 month old this evening something like which you have described its like a small curled (at the sides) tongue but almost like a small cobra poking up over the tongue in the back of her throat i saw it whilst she was screaming (happily) its worrying me a bit as well as she has started to cough a little bit over the past couple of days nothing major just and not all the time but on and off coughing dryly.  She did suffer for a while ago with persistant coughing in the night to the point of almost heaving and they also gave her a non-steriod inhaler to help her with this.  I was just wondering if this is something i need to be concerned about or not or whether it is something that toddlers have in general?  I hope you can help  Thanks  Felicity

Ps it is definately not the dangly bit at the back ofthe throat that hangs down or the tonsils it came up from her throat, i have spoken to my doctors today and they say it is impossible to see the epiglottis - dont know what to think now as i definately saw it!