Extreme Ear pain..radiating down into jaw and throat
I have been having troubles with my right ear on and off for the past 2 months. This last episode has lasted over a week. I went to the doctor today and he didnt see any redness or swelling in my ear. He told me to take ibprufen and something like zyrtec d for a few days and if i continue to have problems he wants me to see a ear nose and throat doctor. He said there might be something in there but he cant see past a certain point in my ear. I have extreme pain in my ear that runs along the bottom of my jaw and my throat on the one side. I also have some pain in the very back of my mouth. The pain gets worse when i swallow, smile, chew, yawn etc. I was also running a 99.4 degree temp which isnt normal for me..i normally run low..around 97.4 degrees..The first time I went to the doctor they gave me amoxicillin and told me to use afrin nasal spray and it worked. the 2nd time i went they did nothing and it went away on its own....eventually..now its back..worse than ever. I need help, but i havent been able to find any yet..the pain is pretty much unbearable. Does any one have any clues as to what would be wrong?? the doctor said it might be something to do with my eustachian tubes..or something in my throat.. i dont know..I would just like to know what might be wrong, so if i do end up having to go to the ear nose and throat doctor, i will have some ideas on what to talk to him/her about..any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
just thought i would update..i can open my jaw without it hurting too bad..but i can hardly swallow at all..the pain has had me in tears a couple times in the last hour or so.. i havent talked in the last hour and a half because it hurts too bad..its like a muscle problem or something in my throat/back of my mouth..i dont know..its just awful..im tempted to go to the ER..its too late in the day to go back to the doctors office.....
I used to have the same problem. Well, I still do. You probably have sinus problems, or a sinus infection. You can go to your doctor and get some antibiotics for it...

If worse comes to worse and the pain is truly unbareable, go to the ER. That's what it's there for!!
I've had the same thing off and on for years. I have it right now. Hurts to swallow and comes on its own without doing anything. I find that oil in the ear helps a bit. Pour some in your ear for a couple minutes then take it out. My doctor said it may due to TMJ. Hope this helps.