Follow-up to SparklyOats' SHL & shingles vaccine
I just saw the last post in the sudden-hearing-loss thread by SparklyOats (from June) and I see your hearing returned fully, which is great.

Curious theory about the shingles vaccine possibly causing your hearing loss. Did you ever find out anything more about that? I believe the vaccine has been extensively tested, and although I think shingles or chickenpox can cause hearing loss, I haven't seen anything about cases of hearing loss from the vaccine.

It sure seems like an amazing coincidence, though!

Shingles and the vaccine have been on my mind since I realized last week I probably have a mild case of shingles (on my back). Of course my first thought is--as with any unusual health situation--"could this affect my hearing?" I'm always on guard, having permanently lost most of the hearing in one ear. After hearing from my doctor that after an outbreak of shingles your immunity to them gets a little boost, at least temporarily, I felt better! (I am only 55 so never had the vaccine.)

SparklyOats, if you see this, do you have any update on your ears? I hope all is OK!

Nancy

This discussion is related to Sudden hearing loss ! ! ! .
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Shingles, is also known as Herpes Zoster or Zoster. It is a medical condition characterized by the development of painful blisters on the skin along a nerve path. So, if this affects the nerve which is responsible for hearing then deafness can occur. Zoster is caused by the 'Varicella Zoster Virus' which is also responsible for causing chickenpox. The virus can lie dormant and can get reactivated at intervals producing symptoms. Hence there is no permanent cure. But antiviral medications like acyclovir, valacyclovir and famciclovir are known to shorten outbreaks and improve symptoms.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi Dr. Anitha, thank you for the information! I appreciate your comments. :)

Nancy