Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Frequent nosebleeds. Please help.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Frequent nosebleeds. Please help.

I've had on-and-off nosebleeds for 4-5 years (I'm 19). I went to an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat specialist) last summer and he didn't find anything while examining my nose. He recommended bacitracin cream, but I didn't get it (it seemed like he thought I was wasting his time because I didn't have every detail about the nosebleeds). Now I'm kind of frightened because of the ABC Family commercials for "Chasing Life," which is about a young adult with cancer, and in it, she has a nosebleed that looks similar to the ones I've been getting (dripping, not flowing).

I might be just be really anxious, but I'm very worried. I'm not sure if there is weather pattern involved, and some nosebleeds last longer than others. Is it normal for someone (male) my age to have frequent benign nosebleeds? I would say they happen at least 3 or 4 time a month, sometimes more. However, more frequently, I sneeze out a mixture of blood and snot.

Thanks in advance
Avatar_dr_f_tn
An ENT examination may be necessary for correct diagnosis and management of your condition. The common causes of frequent nosebleeds are rupture of the blood vessels close to the surface of the lining of the nose, clotting diseases, an abnormal growth (polyp or tumor) in the nose or sinuses. A nosebleed that recurs 4 times or more in a week needs medical evaluation to determine the seriousness of the problem. A nosebleed that recurs 2 to 3 times in a month may mean that a chronic condition such as allergies is causing the nosebleeds. This is merely an advice and not a substitute for clinical examination. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Thank you! But I have one more question. Is it considered a "bleed" if there's blood in the nose but it's not coming out unless I blow?