Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Headaches post surgery FESS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Headaches post surgery FESS

I had FESS Sinus surgery to remove polyps. Never did I have sinus headaches prior to the operation. Never complain about headaches. Only stufy nose, lost of sense of smell. Well After the surgery I woke up with a tremendous headache. Days after the surgery I've had eposode where i could have a conversation with someone and it would be an intense conversation and that would trigger the pain in both sides of my head. I sing in the choir and when I sing with all my heart the pains starts again. whenever I pray The pain starts again. What could have went wrong in the surgery. Is this normal. Is this going to get better. the pain is so unbearable. My sinus is fine. no stuffy nose. and my sense of smell is back. now the problem is my headaches that i never had before.
I had FESS on January 5, and have had no problems since.  Like you, my sense of smell has increased tremendously.  I was not aware of how much I was NOT smelling until I started smelling things after surgery! :-)  

As for the headache, I have not had any headaches that I could associate with my FESS. I did read that if you have a clear liquid drainage and severe headaches, it could be from a loss of CSF--but that would typically happen immeidately after surgery.

This far out and still having problems,... I would call my doctor and have them check things out.  My gues is that it is not related to thesurgery, but you need to have that
confirmed my the professionals!