Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Hollow sound behind my ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hollow sound behind my ears

Okay, so here's the scoop. About two weeks ago I came down with all that nasty sinus crap. Throat was sore and it hurt to swallow, then it moved to my nose and sinuses. The whole time I was hacking up some nasty mucous. I did have a temp for a few days and was pretty much in bed for three days...After about a week of feeling much, much better I had to take a trip to the other side of our island (Big Island of Hawaii). During the drive over I still had just a tad of congestion. Problem is, during the drive and elevation change one of my ears felt like it needed to "pop". No big deal, happens on every trip over there. However, this time it didn't pop and I was left with an irritating hollow sound behind my left ear. Then it switched to my right. Then my left. Back to my right. Now, a week later it is in both ears and becoming a major nuisance. I feel like when I talk to people that my voice is echoing in my head. It is hard to tell how loud my voice is when talking to people. A co-worker said he felt the same way for 3 weeks and it eventually just went away. I am going into week 2 and about to go insane. I can feel my footsteps in my head and when I breath I can also hear it inside my head...Its like a constant feeling of needing to pop my ears...anyone have any input? I know, I know, go see the doc...Problem is there is only one ENT on this island and there is a loooong waiting list to see 'em...
Hey! I have the same problem right today! but its only in my right ear! it's been 4weeks and I had a MYRINGOTOMY I think I said it right! The tube in my ear mad it worse! The TV is up loud and the radio now, and I cant whisper to anyone. All this was caused by a cold/sinus infection in November 2010. I blew, blew, and blew and one day my volume in my ear sound like I was under water or muffled of some sort.I could move my mouth or jaw open and close and I would hear air opening and closing.Ive been on antibiotics,eardrops,sudefeds,benadryls etc. My ear volume or pressure has not changed-BUT the poping and cracking sounds have stop! HELP US!  
Mine seems to be getting better now...I put a heating pad on my right ear for a while and now this afternoon things are progressing. The hollow sound has significantly lessened and there is now some cracking and popping when I move my jaw. Plus, my ears are slowly draining some fluid. Not a lot, but a little bit. I think I am on the home stretch now!