I can make a thunder-like noise in my ear
I don't know if anyone else can do this but i can make a thundering sort of a noise in my ear on command. I can only do it for about 5-10 seconds. I can't stop doing it and my ears are starting to hurt. i just can't stop doing it since yesterday,it's like cracking your knuckles. I don't know how to stop and i'm afraid my ears are being damaged . Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I'm 19 and have been able to do it for like 15 years.
I can hear music louder when I have an earplug near my oppened mouth, or while I keep my ears "popped". By the way I can hold it as much as I want.
does anyone have crackling noises after doing this for a couple times? email me at ***@****
I HAVE THE ANSWER! My name is Donick, I'm 24, my earliest memory if being able to "flex" (what I've come to call it), is 3rd grade trying to explain it to my mom, it sounds like thunder or like I'm sitting in the middle of a stampede with 100's of horses running by.  This is a rare ability, that allows the user control of the inner ear muscle. Like wiggling your ears. It creates a rumbling nose that can't be heard by anyone else, but it CAN be picked up by machines and measured. It causes no pain, and can be strengthened with practice. I used to be only able to do it for about 5 second and can now do it for about 30 seconds.

Someone commented on this post claiming it may be air running through an inner tube in the ear, thats also an ability, but not the one were discussing, it's often confused for this ability but it's not, they are separate. Some people can do one some can do both. For more information please email me at donick.***@**** i have been researching this ability for some time now. I found that it's apparently hereditary, i just found out today my father had the same ability and can do it at his age of 50, he hadn't practiced it and can only do it for a few seconds.

I also am researching an ability I've come to call "glowing" I can focus on my skin and i feelmy heart speed up, and i feel almost like my skin is radiating. I've had this ability since senior year in high school and like Flexing only able to do it for a few seconds, but can now do it for about 30. Please contact me with any questions or comments.
Message me at Donick dot slaick at google mail period communication. I have to write my email in code because this thread won't let me post my email. Please take a sexing to figure it out and get in contact with me.
How weird. I as well can do it...  I always thought I was the only one... And even started to presume that it was some strange ability to focus in on  my brain waves...  Like ESP Till the point where I would meditate and try to guess what others was thinking... I developed a method of cycling through single digit numbers in my head  while (thunder-tating) , for lack of a better term ,and asking friends to guess a number 1 through 9 and some how or another I would get a feeling like I was being told in brainwaves what the answer was... What's funny is when I'm wrong or off the correct number I retry plus or minus using the feeling along with my level of error in intergers from the first attempt...   And usually I'm right... Go figure!!! Anywho now I have learned to feel my inner self internally like I feel my organs/muscle pulsating to the same (thunder-brat ion) in my head...  Like touching my skin with my hand... I feel nerve endings with my brain without  moving... Like an impulse is connected to the vibration like sound.... But like I stated anywho... It's good to know I'm not the only one finally...
THAAAANNNNKKK YOU!! someone with an answer. I've noticed i can do this since I could ever recall. can you tell me what types of machines can read or "hear" this noise?
yes
no, that's not what he is talking about. it's a completely different feeling and occupied by pain. I have been to countless doctors and ear specialists over the years and have had no answers. I am constantly in pain though. And my ears always seem to be wet. Mine happens when I close my eyes too. It's very strange.
I know what your feeling dude, but I have to say I think it happens in the brain
maybe the lower part of the cerebellum, which controls motion. I can also
dialate (defocus my eyes) and can have lucid (controllable) dreams. I also think I have a little control over the adrenaline cycle. Happy Wondering

-16
My sister and I both has the Whooshing noise when we stopped taking an antidepressant. The whooshing sound lasted for about 3 months and happened when we turned our heads or moved our eyes right or left.  Not likely the same as the thundering noise some people can make.
I have the same noise! lol! i thought i was crazy! I'm like "mom ummm.... i have this sound in my head... i can control it and make it go on for however long i want!" she thought i was joking! I'm 13 and have been able to do this forever! What is it/?
Me too glad to know, i m not the only one, have been able to do since last 20 years
Me too glad to know, i m not the only one, have been able to do since last 20 years, i too would try doing it the next time in underwater

Is it the tympanin muscle some one talked
Does the almond oil works

I am at kolkata, india, tc
Hello i am also one that can do this...but mine is the same plus more...i can hold mine out for as long as i want, and i can control the pitch and even make them sound like words. please don't think im crazy, i just don't know what it is...also after 30 seconds, my eyes start to tense and they feel like they are shaking. the whole equalizing thing doesn't work for me, but it seems that i feel a lot stronger and care less about pain when i do it which is why i always do it before i get hit be something or fall....if i am confused and this is something else...please inform me..i have no clue what this is...
This is really interesting...im going to start Experimenting and testing what else i can do with this, ill post any info i find, i going full investigation on this and im determined to find something that we can physically show people so we arent just thought of as crazy by our piers...
Hi I have this treat to. But I was lucky I tried it during a mri it said my ear drume trushed blood into the ear and surronding area also rushed into the brain stem. The ear drum vibrate by blood filling it and muscle around it so you hear a thundering noise.We discussed this and came to the conclusion it is a evoultionary jump the extra blood and oxygen into the brain for better thinking ideas pretty much everything. It is simial to the evolution of slavic people 2 extra k9 teeth a slow over many years evoving. VERY IMPORTANT does not cause damage if used normaly but to hard or to long u can damage it but not big damage you might hear things like tetenitious but only if you really force your self hard. I hope this helps it is a evoutionary devolpment so where more evolved I thought thats pretty cool.
Mannn I LOVE all you people ! I'm Ryan and I'm 17 years old but I could do this with my ears ever since I could remember. I had to be very very little when I realize I could do this (at most by 5 I realized) and I've been doing it randomly all my life ever since. I never really thought much of it but on rare occasions as I grew up, I began asking if anyone else could do this .. Family, Friends.. And not a single person I ever talked to could do this ability lol.
It's like a thundering noise I could turn on .. by my command. It doesn't hurt at all and it occurs in my ears. One day I tried to do it as long as I could lol my eyes began to tear up after awhile so I stopped rigghttt there lol. And I can make it go for as long as I can and I never tried to time it but I bet I could go past 20 seconds on a good day lol. Me still being in school and all I came to the conclusion that maybe it was me "popping" my own ears :-\ and as I did it more i believe that could be it. But research and convos like this doesn't hurt to check out.....

I realized I was the only one and I really did think I was alone ... until just today when I finally decided to try to get some answers to this haha. Which I why I say I love you people. I hope to find out more about this ability and I'm glad there are some answers, links, and theories in this thread. -Cool B) :)
I am so happy right now!  I thought I was the only one. There's loads of us!! Yeh I know that look! Lol even my doctor has never heard of it. I am 22 and have been able to do it as long as I can remember. I can turn it on when ever I like and make it last a few minutes. I just timed 2 minutes 4 seconds but it give me a little bit of a headache lol. I can do it more intense with my eyes closed it's like I look up at the same time and it becomes more intense and loud. It happens when I yawn and feels more like it is in my head ( brain)  than in my ears. I am so glad I know what it is now. I can also move my ears voluntarily, I don't know if that is why we have it, can anyone else move there actual ear backwards and then like release it to let  it back forwards to its position? I never thought about ear pressure in flying and underwater. Will have to try it next time I feel my ears popping lol. Btw the sound started happening on its own on one side of my head on occasion for a couple of seconds. I could feel it on the left side and sometimes it would make my eye twitch. They were stressful times so I imagine this was due to stress. I havnt had this in atleast 2-3 months now so I think it will stop. Also the noise becomes easier to do when I scrunch my eyes up real tight. Obviously you can see I have experimented with it a lot over the years lol I have never known what it was until now. And never explained it as a thunder sound either but now when I do it it sounds exactly like it.  I have searched over the years but never came across this. I'm so glad I'm not the only one and I can relate to almost everything you guys are saying. Thankyou guys for commenting your experiences with it, it was a joy to read and relate. I read that someone's sibling also experienced it at a young age so it may be hereditary, that's interesting, I wonder if there is a specific reason we have possessed this phenomenon. If maybe it is a step forward in our evolution or a step back, or even a fault in our adaptation. I think if it has been passed down to a sibling, then in a case of several generations of this it could suggest a natural selection, that our genes have chosen to keep this for some unknown reason. Maybe due to us humans spending a lot more time in planes, fast cars, high altitudes and in deep water. If this does have attributes contributing towards pressure in your ears then us using more of it may cause our body's to accept it and replicate it. I know I'm taking this to other levels but I'm extremely curious with a wild imagination. If you guys have or receive any more information on this please let me know.
When I meditate and feel very connected to the energy in my body, the thunder often starts to roll just as you all have described. Along with this is tingling and pulsating behind my eyelids and often accompanied with lights. I focus on the sound and go deeply in to it. I almost feel like the thunder is dissolving painful episodes from my past. Helping me rid myself of tension and bad events that we carry unconsciously. I am always happy when they appear spontaneously. I often waken in the night with a phenomenal blissful tingling all over my inner body. Feels great. Then the thunder starts rolling. I just enjoy the show and somehow feel it is doing me some good. Like letting off steam out through your ears. I don't do drugs, I am no kid, I am a grandmother, I don't listen to loud music. All this has been happening almost daily since my interest in meditation and spiritual enlightenment started. By squeezing my eyes shut I can make it happen any time.
So I can do this to on command. More in my left ear than right.

But today I noticed something weird.. I was listening to music with my CIEM's at a medium level and every time the music stopped or it changed tracks the thunder (noise and vibration) happened involuntarily and for a 2 second period. Every time! It actually started to scare me as It only ever happens when I yawn or when I do it on purpose..

Does anyone know what's happening??
So I tried making the noise when my ears had popped and it didn't do anything. I could just hear it less and had to stop after a few seconds as it felt really uncomfortable in my head. I'm not entirely sure it's has anything todo with Ear pressure.
So I tried making the noise when my ears had popped and it didn't do anything. I could just hear it less and had to stop after a few seconds as it felt really uncomfortable in my head. I'm not entirely sure it's has anything to do with Ear pressure. Although I have noticed after doing the noise for a minute or so, a short time later I seem to make clearer and immediate decisions and my mood rises to a more positive state. I think this maybe due to blood flow and allowing more oxygen to the brain as I read somewhere above. This seems more probable. If anyone has any additional information or links to visit please post on here as I check back from time to time. Am sure we all want to know what it is
I am 65 years old and have been able to do this as long as I can remember.  I always thought everyone could do this so I never mentioned it to anyone.  When I was younger I'd use the "thunder" (never thought of it as that, until I read this thread!) to drown out things I didn't want to hear, like if someone was trying to tell me a spoiler about a movie or TV show, or if a bully yelled mean names at me.  Now I find that I do it constantly while working out at the gym--every time I do a rep of an exercise I find myself moving the insides of my ears (the way I used to think of it). It's become automatic at the gym, even while wearing headphones and listening to music. The only way I can stop doing it is by counting the exercise reps out loud, which takes focus.  The only truly involuntary time the thunder happens to me is when I swallow big. As far as I know, I am the only one in my family who can do this, though my father and brother could both wiggle their ears, something I cannot do.  So I wonder if there is indeed a connection.  FYI, I can control the loudness, as well as the pitch of the "thunder", the latter ability resembling playing scales on a piano.  Weird.  I never thought about any of this until reading the comments above.  So now what I used to think was normal has become unusual, LOL. The reason I finally googled the concept is that I am a writer and was thinking of incorporating the "power" into a story, and was looking for the name of whatever it is.
i have been doing this for years i have held it for about 20 mins it makes me hear louder it helps when im swimming i thourt every one could do it never even said anything since this website only reason i did is i have been hearing like a sound when im lying down like droping money sound i also have Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
I felt like an alien growing up because no one took me seriously when I told them that I could drum on my ear drums on command.  For the first time ever, someone believed me, because he actually heard the sounds!  I asked my bf to put his ear directly on mine and listen.  He heard the "thunder" sounds!  Although, I personally think it's more like a snare drum.  So, it CAN be heard externally...

It's becoming kind of a problem for me.  It's like my ear drums itch for that sensation and it's becoming an annoying habit.  It has caused headaches before.  These few months, I have started to forcefully exhale through my nose just to unpop my ears.  I'm starting to feel like I have torets  syndrome.  Anyone else have similar problems??
I also experience this thunder spell.  However, I feel mine is more serious than you guys are experiencing.  Im 23 and this sensation I feel/hear has been going on since I was around 8.  At first I only noticed it when I would blink really tight, and then as I got older there would be more triggers, such as yawning, burping, loud high pitched noises, scratching or touching my face (sometimes the sensitivity of the touch triggers it), and also when i am in a very quiet environment, the feeling becomes for susceptible to happening opposed to being in a room with background noise (a fan or the a/c).  Also, although I can command this sensation, it also happens involuntary such as a  spasm, sometimes only happening once a day on its own, to lasting as long as a couple of hours, not continuous but every 5 mins lasting about 5 seconds each spasm.  I am afraid it is going to get to a point when either everything little movement is a trigger, or it happens involuntary indefinitely.  I am going to see a doctor and see what he has to say but in the meantime, if anyone else experiences this please reach out.  Thank you.  
I use this when Im listening to music.. Its sort of like tensing my eardrum when the snare hits.. makes things sound kind of extra clear and makes bass sound like they are slamming harder aha its actually quite pleasant. I think its probably similar to how some of us can focus and unfocus our eyes at will.
I first started doing this when i was young, As i got better at it, i started noticing that i could control small animals with my mind. i kept honing my new found power and eventually began moving objects, larger and larger until i could move myself, i flew around the globe looking for people with the same power, now i have found what i was looking for here at webhelp.org, thank you, use your powers for good my fellow brain rumblers.
It's nothing uncommon, all you're doing is make your ear drum vibrate.
its only unhealthy if you abuse of it, doing it for long periods of time or constantly.
it's also part of "evolution" I guess. Genes mutate all the time most mutations are healthy and this one in particular its getting more common than ever.
perhaps a future way of communication or a different way to see our world like bats do.
i too (15)

Can make the noise, i timed it to 20.7 seconds and after 15 orso it became harder and started to faint, it is longer and stronger/louder when i do it while yawning, only on command and i also can open and close my ears by using my nose or mouth to breathe in/out and making a clicking-like sound in my ears, liek when you swallow to open your ears in a plane, its really useful when on schooltrips in a fabric with loud machines to kind off muzzle the sound. I never had any ear problems or tubes. glad i'm not the only one :)
ps: when i breathe out with my mouth while doing the clicking-like noise i can make a (I like to think dragon like) roar and when i do it with my nose its more like air leaving my ear than roar.
PPS:
when i close my ears and do the thunder sound it is also muzzled, so it is a actual sound, but very faint and close to my ears, thats why no one else ehars it and i look like a retard when [roaring] :P
Hi, I'm fifteen, and I'm really exicted to have found this thread!!  I've never had tubes in my ears, but I've been able to do this since I was little.  Everyone I've asked looked at me like I was crazy, but I finally decided to look it up today.  I primarily use it to block out noise or loud noises, but I've found that I can block out background noise and intensify certain noises instead.  Some frequencies, such as high frequencies, can't be blocked.  I can hold the sound for ~20 seconds, but if I practice, I can hold it for about 30-60 seconds.  When I was younger, I thought I was telepathic and could send out messages to fairies!  :)  I thought I was the only one, but it feels great to know there are others like me!  I'm so glad I know more about this.  It's so cool that we're part of a small percentage of people!!
LOL OMG so glad to hear someone say this.
Was just laying in bed,  unable to sleep.  Thundering away as I do when I have nothing else to do.
Finally decided to try an figure out "how"  and came upon this thread!  This was great read.
I've always been able to do it, an some clarity was nice...  Although i like others were hoping for telekinesis ;)
nope it hasn't, not at all.
im currently 29, I've been able do this ability my entire life, I can do it for as long as I like, it seems to raise my temperature. I've done it for hours on end just to see what it would do, after a few hours it turns into a crackly sound, I can make it as quiet or as loud as I require ,I can talk, read and listen and still do this, when my ears need popping I do it, I usually do it when I want to turn out, it all helps my imagination.... like going to la-la land, good to know there are other out there that can do it.
Like many of you I can make my ears pop at will, but I hope someone is familiar with another manifestation.  I can't remember when this began.  When getting my eyes examined and they shine a bright light in my eyes I hear that thunder noise.  It has also happened on occasion when going out in bright sunlight without sun glasses.  It surprised eye doctors when I mentioned it.  They speculated it might be caused by a head injury many years ago.  I always though it was something everyone experienced.  
Wow, I've been able to to this since I was a kid (I'm 50 now)!  I never knew it had a name or that only a small percentage of people can do it.  I found this forum because I have a small popping noise in my left ear when I do this for the past few days.  I'm going to make a Dr appointment because the pop sound isn't going away.  
I too have been contracting this muscle voluntarily, but compulsively, particularly when I'm stressed or talking to someone and I'm nervous.  Even when I'm not nervous, I'll still go through stretches where I compulsively flex this between 5 and 10 times a minute for about 400ms or so.  If I concentrate on not flexing it, I'm fine, but I usually revert to this unusual behavior subconsciously.
Some useful references so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_tympani_muscle
The 'rumbling' noise arises from the straining of the tensor tympani muscle in the ear. If you stick a finger in your ear and grip the other fingers tightly, you can hear the same 'rumbling' noise from the exertion of hand muscles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_clearing
The ear clicking is the voluntary opening of the eustachian tube in the ear, a useful trick for scuba divers. You can record your 'clicking' with the phone against your ear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autophony
"When the Eustachian Tubes are deliberately held open, one's voice sounds louder in one's head than when they are closed."  That's 'Autophony'. Useful for checking and pacing my breathing when jogging. And now that I'm into meditation, handy for focusing on my breathing during meditation, like putting on earphone without the music but less than using ear plugs.

I always know it's an uncommon ability because I have not came across any reference to it in my 48 years of existence but then the human body has many quirks and peculiarities, so wasn't unduly concerned. Arrived at this site because I was trying to find out if anybody is using it for breathing meditation but prior to that, need to solve the life long mystery of what it really is first. Glad I checked !
+1 for jacjack's answer. I was about to comment that opening of the eustachian tubes is completely different than making the 'thunder' sound. When you open the eustachian tubes while humming, the hum becomes very loud internally. You can feel your ears "open" up and while holding them open and breathing, you can hear and feel the air coming through the eustachian tubes. When you make the 'thunder' you can make it anywhere from soft to loud (the silent beat-boxing to onesself when sitting alone) doesn't 'pop' your ears at all...or at least not mine ;) i can do both ears simultaneously...to be able to do only one at a time i have to press my jaw to one side or the other (esentially blocking the eustachian tube on the side that i move my jaw to). i never really thought this to be a weird thing; i just assumed everybody could do it. i was searching for skipped heartbeats when yawning tonight and happened to ask myself, "what other weird thing can i look up tonight?" lol. this thread was enlightening to say the least, so thank you all :)
Not the same as "popping" open your eustachian tube.  Instead you are just creating the sensation of a rolling thunder sound, not a thunder clap, which might have lead you to think this was ear popping.  Ear popping is usually produced by swallowing or chewing.  The noise being talked about here is produced by tensing the muscles around your ears, such as pulling your ears back with these muscles.  I've been able to do it for as long as I can remember.  Never met anyone else who could.
Not sure if this is at all linked, but i noticed that when i stopped consuming aspertame, the urge to compulsively flex this muscle stopped.  maybe it's completely unrelated, but it's been a few months now and the urge still hasn't resurfaced.  I'll post an update after a few months.
I can do something similar but its like a deep humming sound almost exactly like wind is passing your ear and I can do this for 40 seconds
IM SO GLAD I DECIDED TO LOOK THIS UP. I've been able to do this my whole life (I'm currently 14) although about 4 years ago I found out I have  Eustachian tube dysfunction, I am deaf in primarily one ear but slightly in the other and I wear a hearing aid, I've had tubes put in but that procedure failed as the only tubes that would fit in my ears, were to small. This has not effected my ability to make this sort of humming sound in my ears for about 5-10 seconds but thought I'd share! so glad I've finally looked it up :)
I've been able to do this for as long as I can remeber, since very early chiildhood... every time I asked someone if he can do it too, they looked at me weirdly, like I had voices in my head lol. But I  was indeed always fascinated with it. It's something to do with either vibrating eardrum or pressure, I'm not sure, but I sure can hear thunder on command. Even more than 20 seconds, I did noc count I would if it werent for this awful feeling of lightheadedness I get after doing it for longer but then something inside the ears feels tired and the intesity slowly diminishes, but I can do it again right away on command. I've been using it for rhythm, like you're immagining a melody then you do this to add drums or base to your immaginary sound :) How cool.
Another thing I rembered it that when listening to a specific friend talking, about 1 meter from my ear, makes my tensor tympani vibrate involuntarely, like I would do on command, just less intense, but very annoying and distracting, makes it hard to follow the debate. I guess It has something to do with the vibration of his vocal tone, and I guess it just triggers that muscle by itesl as I sad. Another thing I noticed, sometimes when I'm in a very cold evironment and I contract all the muscles to warm up,  this also happens automatically or involuntarely.
So basicall it is "voluntary control of the Tensor tympani muscle", Ok I'm just gonna bump this one again https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_tympani_muscle
I have been able to do this my whole life and there is no limit to how long I can do it for. I can get lightheaded sometimes, but what's weird is I've been able to make stuff go numb with it, same thunder sound.
Ive been able to do this for years involuntary. But now its causing me more problems. When my sinus is acting up and I move my eyes all the way up to the top of my head I can hear the brain thunder sound. Even in my sleep. Its starting to get annoying.