Ear, Nose & Throat Community
I can make a thunder-like noise in my ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I don't know if anyone else can do this but i can make a thundering sort of a noise in my ear on command. I can only do it for about 5-10 seconds. I can't stop doing it and my ears are starting to hurt. i just can't stop doing it since yesterday,it's like cracking your knuckles. I don't know how to stop and i'm afraid my ears are being damaged . Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Tags: Ears
Hi Bob I can do it too except mine is still voluntary. I've been able to do it for a few years now.  I have no idea what it is or if many people can do it but i just thought you might feel better knowing you're not the only one. If you found out any information on it it would be greatly appreciated :)
Your posts are very timely.  I know exactly what you are talking about and have been able to do that since I was a kid.  But today something alarming started.  That noise started happening for 5-10 seconds on its own, recurrently, only on one side.  I joked with my husband that I thought I was having a stroke.  Not painful or anything, just weird.  I Googled "thunder in my head" on a whim, to see what would hit, and here this thread appeared.  Would love to know what is going on.
I also can make the same sound.  It seems to me like it may be some sort of air escaping through the eardrum or something, possibly vibrations due to it or something, but I really have no idea.  I'm having a seperate problem that has been queing it on its own along with some other physical responses, but it never happens for more than a second without me doing it on command.  Really, really would like to know what it is.

Doesn't appear to be all that uncommon.  I could be wrong, but it seems like I remember having conversations about it with people growing up that had the same sounds in their heads/ears.
Yeah I've been able to make this same noise since I was very young I had no idea that anyone else could also. Does anyone know if this is something only a few people can do? I've asked a few people now and they all look at me like I'm crazy.
Hi, I'm 22 and can create the sound on command too.
I have had this pointless ability for about 10 years or so.
I have had some crazy looks too when i tell people :)
I can keep it going for 25 seconds, after which it becomes difficult.
It is never painful.
People can not hear it.
It never functions without me commanding it.
Maybe in the future i will?
My ears are clean.
Came on this thread to try and shed some light on this. We need answers! :)
There's a few of us out there...!
Hi I can also do this and have been able to for years.  I have no pain with it  and it is voluntary.  I can keep it going for very long periods.  
Glad to know i'm not alone with this.
Seperate from this, I have been in bed with Labrinthytus for a week having dizzy spells.  Over last 3 days i've lost hearing in my right ear almost totally.  No pain but can't seem to get it cleared. Any suggestions as I think once cleared dizzyness will ease.
Palco40
wow im totally surprised to find others like me. been able to do this since a child. I had tubes in my ears as a kid, my mom a nurse had thought maybe scarring around ear drum the culprit. who knows. wish i knew for certain. mine is voluntary and i dont like to do it, kinda annoying, sometimes it cancels out all other sounds sometimes it does not. cheers.
evo
Its called poping your ears, very few people can do it on command.  I can do this also.  Its you openeing your eustation tubes in your inner ear.  Most people have to hold there nose and swallow to do this.

Its a nice trick to have when your ear is clogged or has pressure in it.  Its also nice to have when your swimming in deep water because you can equalize your ear pressure without holding your nose
I can do this too! I did some light research, and came up with this. The action is called a voluntary contraction of the tensor tympani, and very few people can do it.  It aids in equalizing ear pressure when flying or underwater, etc. Try preforming this action when diving deep underwater, you will feel the pressure equalize (uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it), and will be able to dive quite deep without the awful pressure on your ears. Just make sure to do it again on the way back up!

Source: Own experience, http://*****************/question/index?qid=20090628001312AAcrJFh

i can also do this, i can do it for about 15 seconds before it starts to fade away n become difficult to continue. It can become a habit if i do it too much so i try to limit doing it. I thought i was the only person that could do this so its good to see other people that have the ability. I also had tubes in my ears when i was younger so perhaps this has something to do with it?
I have also been able to do this since I can remember......what made me think of it today was that my 3 yr old son looked at me and asked "What is the noise I hear when i close my eyes?" I asked him to describe it and he closed his eyes and after a few seconds said "thunder". Guess it is genetic. I asked my 6 yr old daughter if she could do that and she can't.
hi all, i can do this as well, I'm 22 and have been able to do it since i can remember, every time i can do it a little longer then before but as you all said previous its hard to keep it going, i can either keep my eyes open or closed (i can do it better when they are closed), i can keep it up for more then a minute now (took some practice) I never had any kind of ear problem when i was younger and it doesn't give me a headache, I read that it might be a thing that i can do underwater, which is nice because i really love the water, but haven't been in it lately do to the fact that really long hair is hard to brush out after i would go swimming

Its awesome to know that im not the only one
I have also been able to do this for as long as I can remember. I am now 56 years old. I can only do it on command, but it sneaks in sometimes when I yawn really big. It feels almost like I am flexing some kind of muscle in my head somewhere, like wiggling your ears, but deeper inside  my head. I can only make the sound for about 10 seconds at a time and then it gets harder to do. It is usually in the key of C. I don't know of many people who know what I am talking about. Is this a well known fenomenon and is it somewhere documented by scientific research?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_tympani_muscle

I was very relieved when I saw this, my mother had brain tumors and I thought somehow this was incorporated with it. I can do it on command with eyes open and closed.

Also when I get an itch somewhere and I dont scratch it - this noise occurs. Does sortof sound like thunder haha just hope theres no lightning on its way!
I'm 16 and I, too, can do this weird ear thing. I know of no one else who can, if I asked about it I recieved crazy looks. I recently went up to Arizona from Texas and my ears popped and the only way to relieve myself of the pain was to make the noise. I can do it on my own and whenever I yawn. It only lasts up to about 10 seconds. I've always wondered about it and now i am glad that i know what it is. Thank you very much.
and i am also glad to know that i am notthe only one who can do this. :)
I'm 24 and
have had this thundering I'm my left ear for awhile. It went away then came back .. It happens more when I'm in bed and laying on my
left side.. Other times it starts up randomly... Kinda relieved I'm not the only one.. Is it bad ?
i have also been able to make this noise for as long as i can remember i feel this could be the cause of my dizziness because the noise you are all actually making in your ears is the sound of you tensing the hammer muscle and also the stirrup muscle which in turn is putting pressure on the hammer bone which in turn puts pressure on the ear drum causing a thunder like noise now although this doesnt apear harmfull at first im sure if we all keep doing it the muscles in the ear may grow and put constant pressure on the ear drum causing the noise to continue on its own. hope this has been helpfull to everyone. tarka.
Tarka87,
  I too can make a "Thunder" sound in my Left ear.  It takes no effort at all but in my Right ear it takes some effort.  Either way, what you describe as the mechanism sounds very reasonable.
I love you people. I always thought I was alone until now. I'm 27 and have always been able to do this on command. Whenever I've tried explaining it to friends they look at me like I'm crazy. I can do it for about 30 seconds too until I run out of steam and need to recharge. Doesn't hurt at all it's just... a rumbling like noise in my ears. Thanks cmsears352 for linking that wikipedia article. It seems we're all have a rare and totally useless super power. :)
  I have only read the first few lines of the wikipedia link but will be reading it as time permits for research in the area. Out of what I have read it does not say where the muscle ends up...  on one end it appears to be attached to the ear drum (tampani memberane) and the tinny bones of the middle ear.  The other end is what I'm after.  If it is in the wikipedia link then I'll eventually find it, but if not then I'd like some help in finding out where it does end up and what else may be attached to this muscle along the way.

I'm wondering if there is a connection between something I have and this muscle.  Probably not simply because there are too many papers on this (my) topic and none that mention this muscle.  But because it is at least "indirectly" related I'd like to learn more about it.
Disregard that post.  The wikipedia stuff was shorter to read than I had though and does mention Hyperacusis.
hey im tim, im 16 and I have been able to this from when i was 6 till now, i can do it in both ears, i can sustainably hold the noise, something weird though I noticed that I wake up at night and the noise is going and as soon as i break concentration it small objects fall onto my floor, such as lighters, pens,  control paddles, my window has shut suddenly, and im not completely positive but i find when i run through the woods listening to music pebbles on the trail seem to scatter away from me, i know this sounds crazy but im kinda freaked out man, i have been checked for dementia, schizophrenia, and have been sober for a year now. Is anyone else noticing this?
I can do it to but mine is different. i can command it but the last week
it did it by it self. it like having the worst headache times 1000 it lasted
for 10 - 15 seconds i think. it begun when i try to focus the noise. but
i think my noise come from my head not my ear.If anyone still go on this website please respond.PS when the noise happened by is self it gave me a nose bleed.
I have this as well. Can do it on command. I always thought it was being able to vibrate my ear drums. When I yawn I hear it. I can do it for maybe 10 seconds at most. Lol I'm glad others can do it!
dose this happen when you yawn
I am 36 and have been able to do this on command for as long as I can remember. I never thought of it as thunder, but yeah that is exactly what it sounds like (I live in Oklahoma. We get TONS of rolling thunder). I can do it on command for seconds in both ears. I notice it much stronger when I yawn, and that can make it last much longer than when I make it happen on command. I used to talk about it but my friends thought I was bonkers. Now that I know I am not alone I will ask my Dr about it. Good luck to everyone.
I am so relived to hear this! I have been doing this my whole life and always wondered if I was the only one and thought that something was wrong with me, and if it's bad that i can do it. I always tell people that I can do it but they give a weird stare as well. I think it's sort of like flexing your ear drums, making it sound like thunder.
This happens every so often.  I just got up out of bed because of this "ear thundering" and it drove me nuts so I had to find out what it was all about. I have been able to make it happen or it happens on its own for as long as I can remember.  Guess I am not the only one.  Well  G'nite all.  Gonna try and get some sleep.  Gotta work at 6am driving school bus and then job interview at 10:30.  Have a great day all!!
i have been able to do this as well for ever it came in real handy when my dad was drunk and if i practice i can do this for a very long time i can change the level as well for how stong it is i can do it tell my jaw hurts i also can move the sound around and it actually fills like my lol brain gets sore or there is presser on it anyone else do that
Oh man! I thought I was nuts! So others can really do it too, I'm not sure whether its the tensing of muscles I read in one post or the equalizing of pressure I read in another, I would like to know, I've been able to do this for as long as I can remember. It used to just happen when I yawn but I've been able to do it on my own and control it for at least 10 years now. The next time I swim and feel pressure in my ears I will try doing it, if it does not work I'm guessing it is the other one. Its really relieving to know I'm not the only one!
OMG! this is unbelievable. it has been at least 10 years since i have this stupid thing and i dont know why i have just googled it! like all of you, i thought i was the only one in this world who can do this. but no! lets see...i can do it on command, sometimes when i yawn, rarely when i swallow sth or drink...i just saw one person who said: it might become a habit! oh man i know what ya talking about. im doing this stupid noise whenever im stressed out and it becomes pretty annoying. is there any way to stop this? like i wanna be able to not do this. but since its been years, i dont think there is a way. but soooo happy to know that there are others who has the same problem/power lol.
So It's 4:03am and my ears are thundering out of control. I decide to look it up and I couldn't find much relating to it. I typed in yawning noise and other things. So I decided to try an explain the sound. "Thundering!!" Yes , thundering noise in my head is what I typed into yahoo search to get me here.

From my experience , this noise has been going on ever since I can remember but only when yawning. Now , please continue to take me seriously because I am not joshing any of you. I took magic mushrooms this one time 12 years ago and this noise wouldn't stop. It's not painful but it's very uncomfortable. I think maybe because it wasn't normal and I couldn't control it. I never did mushrooms again but this thundering didn't go away. It would reoccur monthly or so. Sometimes it would go for 5 seconds , pause , go for 5 , pause and keep going for a few minutes and that would be it that month. I can also "control" it , like make it turn on but I don't like to cause it has been known to go off , on its own. I don't need this to become permanent. When it goes off , I have an urge to yawn but yawning doesn't stop it. I can yawn back to back like a dozen times while having these "spells".

These "spells" is what makes me worry. At first I thought it was some kind of brain damage from the mushrooms. I must stress that it's completely painless and that the discomfort is only because it's unknown and uncontrollable at times. I imagine it's like a cave man just discovering his pulse. Is it something inside me? Is it bad?

I've never talk to a doctor and to be honest , I've never shared this with anyone except on that trip but no one probably took it serious , or knew it still reoccurs.

I am thrilled that a good handful of people eperience this aswell. I feel like this makes it less likely to be any form of damage.

I used to fantasize that this was some kind of mind power. That if I can control it I may be able to move things with my mind or hear other people thoughts. I would try. Unfortunately all I ever heard was thunder. Hah.

Thats my experience , I hope it helps some of you people out. I can't express how happy I am that I'm not the only one. I can now come out of the closet with this and tell people I randomly hear thundering noise in my head and laugh with confidence when they give me that look. You know the look.
I know what you're talking about. I think I freaked out some of my friends because we were hanging out outside and I was bored and concentrated on a plastic cup, made the noise, and it flew towards me. They sorta laughed it off, but...I know this sounds weird, but is this some type of "power?" I don't remember when I started being able to make the noise, but it's starting to freak me out too...and it gets easier to do when I'm feeling strong emotions. Same with you?
I also get frequent migraines, if that may have anything to do with it. I just want to know what this is...
I am young almost 14, and i have learned about my ability to do this at around 10, i haven't done it much but it does make my head hurt after many tries.
ive been able to do this my entire life and i just thought i was insane, i also got migranes (migraines) alot when i was a kid, had to get a MRI but the doctor said there was nothing wrong with my brain so i wouldnt worry about it guys.
glad to know im not insane and possibly have a super power!? natural or supernatural.
im gona practise it now i know im not crazy and try to get it where i can sustain it.
woop!
go to this link it will explain everything. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1999-09/937369459.Gb.r.html
I'm glad that there are others and an explanation. I was so afraid and depressed before but I am starting to feel way better now that I actually KNOW.
I can do this, too! I have always been able to do it! When I was little, I would ask others and no one ever knew what I was talking about! Even now, I never ask because I just don't want to deal with the weird stares. I have always heard it loudest when emotions are high- sadness, anger, etc. Especially when I cry.  It is loud rumbling thunder noises. I have been able to do this since I was very young. I definitely associate it with my ability to feel others' pain as well. I think it is somewhat of psychic ability. It'll be nice to learn how to use it. SO glad I found this!!
I've been doing this since I can remember. Thanks to cmsears352 for posting the wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_tympani_muscle . That clears things up.

I can only do this voluntary, but love it! I am a musician and make melodies in my head with this (percussive only), the "thunder" (also heard when yawning) is my bass drum and the "crackle" (also heard when clearing swimmer ears) is my snare or hi-hat.

Nobody that I know has ever heard me do this... until I get a little crazy and start clicking my teeth too. :P

Glad there are more of us out there!
I am able to do this as well... but, I am able to suppress it, or even stop it by simply swallowing some saliva...

I could be wrong, this too could be a medical condition.

I'm spurting BIG BOY WORDS and I'm only 14...
I also play songs in my head with that thunder sound I can make in my middle ears--and always have, since I was a child. It was awesome to finally discover that so many other people have that phenomenon and do this!

I have been able to do this for a long time, I was with my doctor about something else and I thought I would ask him. Funny enough he could do it too! he told me that what we are doing is vibrating a muscle that is very close to our eardrums, that's why we can hear it and no one else can.

Hope this helped :D:D:D
I'm sure everyone landing here can do this - otherwise why would we be here? :)  I'll definitely have to try this underwater or the next time I fly.  It definitely would have come in handy the last time I flew, as the pressure was actually painful!  Too bad we have this ability, but we're not blessed with the innate knowledge of what it's useful for!

You guys are going to think I'm nuts, but I *dream* about this and whenever I'm doing it it gives me the ability to *fly*.  Not like Superman, but more like floating in the air vertically.  Just like in real life, I can only sustain it 5-10 seconds at a time, so sadly that's all the "air time" I get.  
Yes I have the same problem but it is doing voluntarily now when I smile or turn my head now that I am congested? Is this an ear infection?
My 13 year old daughter and I both can do this.  The only thing is ours sounds like crackles of static and can do it voluntary for hours if we wanted to.  Is anyones like that?
Yay not alone or crazy! Sounds good to me! Plus its a great way to drown people out haha.
i have been trying to find out the cause of this for a long time, it is the tensor tympani, but for me any increased blood pressure or pressure at all in my head or bright lights etc makes it happen and often it happens in mid conversation which causes a panic attack because i cant concentrate on what the person is saying. also my senses start to sort of shrink down and it feels like im going to dissappear or pass out or something but this ear noise is the catylist of it all and i cant find out why it happens or how to stop it. it is the fear of this happening which causes my social phobia
It's been three years that my right ear is making this whooshing sound. During day, I dont hear it because of the noise around, but when I am in a quite place, this ******* noise really pisses me off. I put ear drops for infection, but i dont even know if this is an infection. Doc said, my ears are clean. Just dont know what to do.

I am surprised to see so many other people with ear problem at young age. I wonder what will happen to me when i get older.

I have been able to do that too since I was like 5 years old. It does also happen whenever I swallow.
I saw a doctor when I was little and she told me that it has something to do with dryness in the ears and prescribed me to put almond oil in my ears every day. I cannot say if it made it better or not. But after a few years I just stopped doing that ( You need to do it 2 times or 3 per day ). However , this year I got a bad sore throat and cold and it made it even worse, so I'm back to the almond oil thing. Will see if it will make it better now.

I can also make this sound. I am only 15 now and my father who is 47 can do it too and has been able to since he was young. Maybe its hereditary?
hey i can do it too and im 12 but it only lasts a few seconds today i held it for almost a minute but my ear started hurting hey maybe we all have telekinesis or something
This is awesome. I can relate to almost everything everyone is saying. I have a few things to add. Like the guy that had it happen the whole time he was on magic mushrooms I too have noticed a relationship between it happening uncontrollably and the likely hood of me having an increased level of serotonin or dopamine. The first time I did heroin i laid on bed for 6 hours unable to hear it was so loud and it wouldnt stop and I was worried it never would. everyone thought i was crazy. Not just drugs, it seems to happen more when i feel good. After sex. Laying down in a cozy bed, all sorts of stuff like that. I feel like there could be a corralation. Dopamine for instance has an effect on muscle rigidness so i think it could very well be possible. The only thing I havent seen anyone else mention is that when i force it it feels like my eyeballs might be twitching in my head. I can do it with my eyes open and they dont move so im told but its much easier to do with my eyes closed. Maybe the wiring to control the tensor typani is close to the eyes or eyelid wiring in the brain. When i was little i used to call it my "eye rolling head noise" then when I was a teen I used to call it my "euphoria meter". I could judge how strong a bundle of heroin was by how loudly and consistently it would make the noise in my head. BTW dont do drugs. I had googled this a few years ago and there was only one guy who had this mentioned on his facebook page but had no idea what it was. I too like some posters used to get migraines when i was a kid. I too also have had terrible pain in my head while flying. I too had tubes in my ears as a kid. I notice it when i yawn or swallow big. I too had everybody think i was crazy. Its nice to have some explanation of what ive been hearing in my head for 27 years! I bookmarked this site ill be checking back now and then. post if you have anything to add!
I didn't get it until I was 55. Doctor asked me if I had lost weight recently. He said I had lost fat tissue around a tube between my ears that allowed it to open up. I can make the noise when I'm laying down and squint my eyes or swallow.
I have a co-worker who has something with her left ear, not sure if it's the same as some of you described though. With her, her left ear feels each so she plugs it and shakes it (to scratch it) and she would make a loud sound. At first it sounds like a clicking sound, and if she shakes faster is sounds like squeeking. It can get quiet loud too. Is this what you are experiencing?

or does anyone know what this is?
Hi, im glad i have found people who can do this thing as well, i always thought it was just me and therefore never told anyone ,when i tried to describe this sound to my mother and younger sister they would look at me like i was crazy and would then say clean your ears out BUT thats just the thing my ears are clean and i to can do it on command, i was just wondering do any of yours do it when you swallow, yawn ect ANYWAY this is what i really wanted to know and i dont mean to rush you all for an answer but im going on a plane in the next 2 weeks and im really scared that im going to go death or something because of this thing but then as i was reading through these comment i found one saying that we could automatically pop our ears so i was thinking 1 . IS THAT AN ADVANTAGE WHEN IT COMES TO POPPING YOUR EARS ON A PLNE AND 2. WHAT IS IT LIKE WHEN YOUR EARS POP ON A PLANE thanks so much for reading this and please all your answers would really HELP =)
That is interesting. I first realized that I could command after dreaming about it. When I have a flying dream I use this thunder to keep flying.
It crackles when it starts but then it is like the key of C. Can't do it for hours...maybe for a minute.
I have been commanding it starting at a very young age. I don't know why I started to do this but I decided that every time there was a "hulk" moment. Think about it...doesn't the thunder sound like the first moment before Banner turns into Hulk. It would also turn on. It is now almost involuntary. If I hurt myself, cut myself or being poked by a needle to draw blood. The pain is less because i am focussing my attention else where. I also do it when lifting weights. My most recent thing...Try this...I went to Busch Gardens and rhode the Griffon. Right at the point where you drop...Turn it on. You will be amazed at the result. Also, try it when in cold water. Also when you are being tickled. Its more powerful than mind control...its brain control. There was a Facebook page but I can't find it anymore.
Ok I'm 21 and I to can cause this noise since I can remember. I never asked my friends because I thought it was normal. I just recently asked one of my best friends last week and he looked at me sideways. Since then I been thinking hard about it knowing I might be the only person who can do it but now I see I'm not and that's good because it lets me kno it's natural.   Ok now I did used to get migraines when I was younger but I never do any more. I hear the noise when I yawn. I also can control it (make it happen when I want to) I find my self training it (what ever it is) by listening to different levels of sound and trying to use the thunder noise to drain out another noise. I have noticed that I start to be able to hold the noise for a longer time and when i do close my eyes it feel lik they are twitching while I produce the thunder. Also I meditated today actually to different frequencies of sound while producing this thunder and every time I stop the noise I felt a rush of energy shoot up my body to my head.. That was very unexpecting but it gave me a different way of looking at the thunder situation. I feel as if everybody have this (power) its all about working it.. Such as wiggling your ears... I will be doing more experiments on this matter and will keep this page informed... -Peace, Love & Happiness
I've also done some research into this; used to do it in my sleep at about age 4, and would wake up with an ear-ache. Some people can just equalise the pressure with their eardrums, similar to the 'popping' technique when you open your jaw. I asked my doctor why it sometimes happens involuntarily, and we deduced it is because my music is too loud when I use headphones. Your eardrums are covered in tiny hairs, and when the vibrations are too powerful (loud music, intense pressure) they begin to fall out. Hope this helps people!
is this the only thread on the internet with these "symptoms"?  I can do this as well (on 'command')  and I too did not realize that it wasn't normal...Reading all of these replies makes me feel like we share some super power, and maybe we do!  Someday we might be called upon to use our powers of that thunder like sound in our ears for good...I just hope when that day comes we are prepared
I too can do this exactly as everyone describes. However I find if I'm almost asleep it puts me in sleep paralysis while i am still conscious, and I can almost pull off an obe or lucid dreaming much easier. Anybody else have this experience as well
I used to think I was superhuman and that I had telekenetic/telepathic ability and that was the noise it made but I suppose it's slightly more mundane, maybe not though!!!
I thought I was weird because no one knew what I was talking about and I never knew how to explain it, mine only happens when I squeeze my eyes shut and only lasts a second but it's like a whooshing sound INSIDE my head but mine only lasts a second but I can do it repeatedly... Can you train yourself to make it last longer? I can squeeze my eyes shut and not do it, I have to purposely try to do it to make it work. What exactly causes it and if I do it more often, could I learn to control it more? Seems like a neat trick to equalize your pressure.
Wow! I can make it too! It lasts for about 10-25 seconds. Its getting on my nerve because I don't know why I get that! I'M 13 !
No way ! I am 18 and have been able to produce this notice since I was younger . Yeah, all of my friends look at me funny when I ask lol . What's weird is I can unfocus my eyes at will aswell . So I tend to do both at the same time , unfocus my eyes and my ears I supose . Can anyone else do both ? :) kinda glad I'm not alone !

- Mason Chambers
Yup, me too. I'm 41 and have been able to make this "thunder" in my ears my entire life. My family gave me crazy looks as well. I'm so used to it & I think I do it everyday. It's almost become like breathing, I don't even realize how often I do it most times. I like to play along with music with the noise, or block out things I don't want to hear by making the noise louder. I have no limit on how long I can do it. I can make it go as long as I want & as quiet or loud as I want. I'm reading everyone's comments to my husband....so I'm not crazy.....HAH! I can't wait to see if my kids can do it too. Sooo looking forward to using the water & air skills! Super power? Definitely!
I have been able to do this since I was a kid I didnt think anyone else could do this.  As a baby I cried constantly and no one knew why then at age 4 or 5 they found my ears were not draining and tubes were put in. Maybe this is why we can flex our ear drums.  I can do it for about a 30 seconds if I try hard its my max. Usually just about 10 secs on average
I used to use it to drown out noises or people I was trying to ignore and used it to meditate.  Since I am in my 40's I have found it to be unique not alot of people can do this.  I have found it to be a blessing but I dont know the medical term wish i did.
Can you do it constantly or is it intermitten.  I can do it low and keep it going but there are breaks , I can also do the heartbeat or music thing but these to have breaks in them. If you can do it consentantly loud with out breaks this is new? let me know.
for the younger ones, I used to have the same problem controlling it but you will learn to control it, dont worry.  If you use it as a defensive mechanism to void hearing other people when they are mean its acting as an instinct and sometimes you will find yourself doing it to a teacher.  When this happens just ask them to repeat themselves.  I would not explain why though since I was never understood.  We are unique and this is so great I have finally found others like me.  I have been searching all my life and looking online for the past 10yrs for people like me.
If i keep the sound quiet I can go on as long as i want. I actually just tested it the other day. If i go loud it takes more concentration and i feel my heart race a bit if i go on too long but if i focus on my breathing I can just keep it going. I just now did it loud for about a minute and only stopped because it can be strenuous, but I could've continued. Do you get that too?
Yes i know what you mean about being able to control it more as you get older. I think the reason i can do it for a long period of time is because I do it so often, i think as a comfort, so maybe it built up the muscle in my ears? I'm not really sure. I never knew of anyone else who could do this either and I'm so happy to have found you all!
I can always do tht voluntarily n also when I was little n it happens when I yawn n sometimes for a second wen I blink I really dnt see it as a threat what I learned is its common obviously if so many other ppl n myself have it looked it up. I figure that once you make tht noise n notice it u keep dng it cuz sometimes I find I can stop even wen I thnk I cnt but plzz if someone has gone to a dr they seriously trust plz let me kno good or bad news than tht way ik n I can check on it before its like not good to me
I can do it too but I also can hear high pitched noises that a lot of people can't hear like TV screens and some other very odd sounds, I had insefelitis when I was 4 maybe that caused it. I wonder if this ability is useful in any way... Who knows maybe it works like telepathy lol.
I've been able to do this my whole life, and have always hoped it was some sort of secret power / ability that I just hadn't found the proper application for yet. Telepathy or communication with animals were among my wishes. My experiments were unsuccessful.
wow i thought i was just wierd or something i too can do it i used to tune out my mom when getting scolded i've been able to do it since a young age just thought i was alone kinda glad im not
im able to make this sound as well,have since i was a kid,but also i can make a secondary sound either simultaneous with it or separately on its own.a sound that sounds..well like boots marching..its like a sharp crackling sound..(lol use to use this to add sound effects to my GI Joe wars when i was a kid and can also "make music" with the thunder part of it just like simple beats) but recently have noticed an even more odd phenomenon associated with it..like say i hammer out "shave and a hair cut".or a simple intro to some song..well a split second later.it will "replay" in my ears, but completely unwanted and completely on its own...its just a soft subtle replay of whatever i make the thunder sound do..has anyone else experienced this?
I have a few theories as to what it might be
1. a very very small muscle contraction that originates deep in the soft palette (top of your mouth in the back) in or around the Eustachian Tube (tube that connects your throat and ears for drainage i belive) that puts pressure on the Eustachian Tube or pressure very near the Eardrum and this pressure/ muscle contraction is actual "heard" and sounds like thunder.
have you ever noticed that if you try to engage the sound for say..60 seconds..most of the time you cant reach half that cause it literally gets tired and thus the thunder sound weaker and weaker.
I have been able to do the same thing from as far as I can remember and people look at me like I'm nuts too when I had asked them since being a young child. I'm Now 41 and happy I'm not the only one. I do it totally voluntary and can do it in both ears and each ear independently. I can hold it for 30 seconds without any effort but after that I have to put some effort into keeping it going. I can also at will adjust the loudness of the rumble from very low to very loud in my head. I actually use it as a tool while meditating. We should form a "Rumble" group on facebook....hahaha Thank you all for making me realize I'm not alone....hahaha
All I can say is that it's nice to finally get some insight as to what is happening inside my head. I don't remember the first time it happened to me, but it's been a very long time, probably since I was a young child. I am almost 23 now, and I've been embarrassed to ask others/doctors about it. I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one with this 'condition'. Has anyone spoken to a doctor about it? I just hope it doesn't cause any kind of ailment in the future. It doesn't hurt when I do it, and I can do it in both ears or one at a time, for as long as I want. I also find that it happens on its own when I swallow. Does this happen to others as well?
Not to repeat everyone single person who posted here buuuttt:
I randomly found out I could do this as a child, and I asked my mom why I hear thunder in my head.. naturally she took me to a psychologist =D Doc didnt know why I heard the thunder but still treated me for some depression. Anyway, I'm 24 now and I finally got my answer from here.. over the years I had developed theories to what it might be, but I never did any checking to see if I was right. It served three useful purposes; Drown out noise I didnt want to hear and dampen loud anticipated sounds (Thats what the tensor tympani is supposed to do), for some reason it feels like it relieves some tension in my head so I feel less stressed after a session of "rumbling", and its something interesting to do when I'm sitting around bored.. plus no one else can hear it lol. Also, I developed a habit of using it when I got angry or stressed... I guess because I associated it with a stress reliever =p Whatever works I guess.
Hi, I have been able to make a rushing noise in my ears since I was a little girl, among other things. Its never gotten to the point where I have "had" to do it though, its more like something you just forget you can so for a while until you unintentionally do it again and you remember. Along with being able to over concentrate power into my ears I can also make my brain kick up and any other part of my body, like thinking you're going to move your arm and sending the signal, but not actually moving your arm. It makes a sensation in the spot you sent the signal that's almost... electric. No one would be able to understand unless they have the ability themselves. And that's what you are doing to your ears, you're sending unnecessary signals from your brain and the rush is what you can hear .
I can make this sound in my ears as well. I'm on a prescription drug called Citalopram that sometimes causes a burst of ringing in the ear. It does not bother me, but I found when I take this just before bed it gives me lucid dreams. I found that when the ringing gains in amplitude, that it started to cause me to contract the T‪ensor Tympani muscle‬ and make amazing sounds. I call them audible dreams. I can make full high fidelity, stereophonic music that I hear and feel it in my ears. All of this is during the audible dream, not while I'm awake. I can control the amplitude of the sound that the Tensor Tympani muscle makes and control the left and right muscle independently. I really want to get a small sensitive microphone and dictaphone or sound tiger recording app that will record this contracting of the muscles while I am sleeping. I wonder if I have somehow gained access in the brain while sleeping to make music through the ears?? Sounds crazy, but anything is possible. Then again. Most of us thought making sounds in the ears was not possible.

Read this recently too:
Physiologists are still marveling at the discovery that ears produce sound. "It is almost as astonishing as if the eye could produce light or the nose produce odors," said Dr. William E. Brownell of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, one of the leading researchers in "OTOACOUSTIC EMISSIONS," or sound produced by ears.
Well i know im a little late, but i can do this on command as well. I have spells that go for a week or 2 were it is involuntary and seems to happen every time there is a sound or every time i move. It is extremely annoying and has brought me to tears, not because of pain either. It makes me not be able to concentrate on anything and i can not sleep. It is driving me insane and i would love to know what causes it and how to get rid of it.
I want to know if anyone has tried humming music while making the ear noise at the same time. I've tried that and it seems to make an internal sound in my head and its always the same volume regardless if its loud or quiet. So in a car, try humming quietly to yourself with your ears popped.
this noise is not just a noise but something more
This is the perfect thread to satisfy my current curiosity. I have been able to make this noise on command since I was a small child; at 25 years old, I can do this repeatedly on command, time and time again, and usually, as long as I wait 5 or more seconds between initiations, there is a 'click' that accompanies the 'thunder.' Reading every comment on this thread, I have been initiating the sound again and again, without repercussions. It lasts about 15-20 seconds, and although it feels as though I might obtain a headache, I have yet obtain such. I have never told anyone about this but it is apparently unique, and a good subject to toss around to my fellow colleagues. When I was a very small child, I thought "powers," of course, this is folly and deserves more unique attention. What sort of people have this sort of control over their own "senseful" perception? I doubt it holds specific advantages, however, it seems not everyone can do it. Does this mean something?
I can do this too...but in the last few years it's played into my night terrors and some times I think it's caused them....when I wake up its really bad....and what's worse when I get angry or upset the rumbling starts....it's not fun anymore and its starting to hurt
Did anyone else notice that everyone on here seems to be saying there 20-30.  I'm 28 years old i'm so glad i found this.  I've been making the thunder my whole life and i've gotten better at it.  I can hold it for over a minute now.  I noticed in my early 20 thats when i would do cocaine or other drugs i would start to do it involuntarily and sometimes ot the beat of music.    I did a little reasearch awhile back and came to the conclusion that i was hear blood actually running through my body just so close the ear drum itself it sounded like thunder.  If anyone figures out how to turn this Into our special moving things with our minds power please e-mail me my name is Tanner.  :)  keep that thunder rollin!
Its not ear popping. I scuba dive and have to hold my nose to equalize the pressusre. (same in planes) This things different, it sounds like constant distant thunder. Humming for just yourself.
Hey everyone, I can also do this, I think. It only lasts for a few seconds and I have to blink my eyes to do it. My issue is that I can't stop doing it
I had this same problem maybe 4 or 5 years back. I was able to stop it after quite some time (enough time that I didnt realize it had stopped up until about 2 days ago, when I noticed it started back up again.) I used to wear a big thick winter hat 24/7 and I started doing this thing with my ears again shortly after it got too warm outside for me to wear the hat. If anyone knows if this is the same thing you're all experiencing and/or a way to make myself stop, please e-mail me at ***@****. I really want to stop doing it but can't seem to make myself.
Hey, I'm fourteen and I've known how to do it since I was eleven. I can only keep it going for about 5 seconds without concentration. When I focus severely on the one action I can keep it going for as long as 20 seoncds.
It's crazy when you think about how this noise even started! Just one day our brains decide to send a nerve impulse to our ear on a whim? What is the use of this strange push and noise? A rare extension of brain power just seeping into a section of our ears that is so simple its a mystery. Is it merely pressure equalization or something more?? Something evolutionary? So many questions branching off into more questions! You crazy thunder like roar you!
im 15 i been hearing the noise since i was 5 and i think its because we all can pop our ears on command at first i thought it had to do with my sleep paralysis i thought i could listen to spirits but guess not glad theres more people with it i was scared at first
Hey there... I'm 14 and I think I can do this too... I concentrate then I can hear some weird thundering noise.... However I can't do it for very long as it takes full concentration to do and If I breathe while doing it it breaks my concentration.... At the moment I only do it voluntarily however this might change.... And if I do it hard enough it can even hurt a little? Finding this site makes me feel better knowing there are other people who can do this... Thanks...
Also, I noticed a LOT of people on this thread have said that hopefully it could be to do with telepathy or telekinesis or something like that.... Ever since I was about 11 I have always wanted to have or be able to use telekinesis.... I just think its a coincidence that a lot of other people have mentioned it????
what were talking about has nothing to do with popping your ears. completely different sound and sensation =)
yeah its connected to your eyes somehow for sure I guess the tensor tympani, is tied in with all the various facial muscle groups. At first I actually thought my eyes were producing the sound. I can do it on command but itll happen on its own when I yawn or roll my eyes at someone. Sometimes also swallowing it will go for a short burst.
yeah about the cocaine! did you read my first post from Feb 2012! I talk about during my early heroin use the noise would be uncontrollable nonstop, infuriatingly so. It would happen less and less when I got high as i continued to use throughout the years. Im 28 also. There is also no doubt to me that theres a connection to levels of neurotransmitters present in the brain like dopamine. One guy said it happens to him when he feels pain. Pleasure and pain both connected to it.
I have been able to do this for as long as I can remember. I do it on command, and can sustain it for essentially as long as I want, though it takes a very slight constant effort to maintain. I just noticed today when listening to a binaural frequency on youtube, that is two frequencies played together, one higher in one ear and one lower in the other, that the lower frequency becomes more prominent and the higher much more difficult to make out. This is congruent with my observations that when I activate this ability, bass seems to amplify and treble dulls. Sometimes I just use this ability to play with my music, activating it on beat with a bass drum perhaps, adding some oomph and intensity wherever I want.
Does anyone else do the inner ear thing to the tune of songs in their heads? I'm pretty sure the pitch of the "thunder" never changes but when I do this I "hear" different notes and parts...
I am 25. I have been able to do this since I can remember. I had tubes in my ears when I was in 1rst grade, though I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also have a lot of trouble equalizing pressure. That started after I dove into the deep end one day and heard a POP. From that point forward, my ears had searing pain at only 4 or 5 feet underwater and airplanes are a nightmare. I was always afraid to try "the thundering" as a method to equalize pressure. But since I have difficulty with pressure, I will give it a go. Maybe we are an evolutionary step towards the sea...or a step back.

I too use the thundering as a rhythm section while playing songs in my head.---sometimes without realizing it.

when i hear the thunder, I also notice a moment where it rings abruptly. I guess we are making our own tinnitis.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the ame sensation. I discovered this the first time during orgasm, seriously! Then I started experimenting and I can do it anytime. It seems to be easier when I close my eyes, but that may be just because I am able to concentrate better. Anyway, my feeling is that I put pressure by squeezing the muscles of my temples together, as if trying to make my head somehow skinnier. I always thought of it as electrical impulses of the brain, but I could relate to the idea of it "sounding" like a far away thunder. At any rate, when I do it, it feels good, it feels healthy and as if I am almost on a kind of meditative level. I'd like to know more about this and if it is indeed healthy. Any comments are welcome!
I'm 19 and have been able to do it for like 15 years.
I can hear music louder when I have an earplug near my oppened mouth, or while I keep my ears "popped". By the way I can hold it as much as I want.
does anyone have crackling noises after doing this for a couple times? email me at ***@****
I HAVE THE ANSWER! My name is Donick, I'm 24, my earliest memory if being able to "flex" (what I've come to call it), is 3rd grade trying to explain it to my mom, it sounds like thunder or like I'm sitting in the middle of a stampede with 100's of horses running by.  This is a rare ability, that allows the user control of the inner ear muscle. Like wiggling your ears. It creates a rumbling nose that can't be heard by anyone else, but it CAN be picked up by machines and measured. It causes no pain, and can be strengthened with practice. I used to be only able to do it for about 5 second and can now do it for about 30 seconds.

Someone commented on this post claiming it may be air running through an inner tube in the ear, thats also an ability, but not the one were discussing, it's often confused for this ability but it's not, they are separate. Some people can do one some can do both. For more information please email me at donick.***@**** i have been researching this ability for some time now. I found that it's apparently hereditary, i just found out today my father had the same ability and can do it at his age of 50, he hadn't practiced it and can only do it for a few seconds.

I also am researching an ability I've come to call "glowing" I can focus on my skin and i feelmy heart speed up, and i feel almost like my skin is radiating. I've had this ability since senior year in high school and like Flexing only able to do it for a few seconds, but can now do it for about 30. Please contact me with any questions or comments.
Message me at Donick dot slaick at google mail period communication. I have to write my email in code because this thread won't let me post my email. Please take a sexing to figure it out and get in contact with me.
How weird. I as well can do it...  I always thought I was the only one... And even started to presume that it was some strange ability to focus in on  my brain waves...  Like ESP Till the point where I would meditate and try to guess what others was thinking... I developed a method of cycling through single digit numbers in my head  while (thunder-tating) , for lack of a better term ,and asking friends to guess a number 1 through 9 and some how or another I would get a feeling like I was being told in brainwaves what the answer was... What's funny is when I'm wrong or off the correct number I retry plus or minus using the feeling along with my level of error in intergers from the first attempt...   And usually I'm right... Go figure!!! Anywho now I have learned to feel my inner self internally like I feel my organs/muscle pulsating to the same (thunder-brat ion) in my head...  Like touching my skin with my hand... I feel nerve endings with my brain without  moving... Like an impulse is connected to the vibration like sound.... But like I stated anywho... It's good to know I'm not the only one finally...
THAAAANNNNKKK YOU!! someone with an answer. I've noticed i can do this since I could ever recall. can you tell me what types of machines can read or "hear" this noise?
yes
no, that's not what he is talking about. it's a completely different feeling and occupied by pain. I have been to countless doctors and ear specialists over the years and have had no answers. I am constantly in pain though. And my ears always seem to be wet. Mine happens when I close my eyes too. It's very strange.
I know what your feeling dude, but I have to say I think it happens in the brain
maybe the lower part of the cerebellum, which controls motion. I can also
dialate (defocus my eyes) and can have lucid (controllable) dreams. I also think I have a little control over the adrenaline cycle. Happy Wondering

-16
My sister and I both has the Whooshing noise when we stopped taking an antidepressant. The whooshing sound lasted for about 3 months and happened when we turned our heads or moved our eyes right or left.  Not likely the same as the thundering noise some people can make.
I have the same noise! lol! i thought i was crazy! I'm like "mom ummm.... i have this sound in my head... i can control it and make it go on for however long i want!" she thought i was joking! I'm 13 and have been able to do this forever! What is it/?
Me too glad to know, i m not the only one, have been able to do since last 20 years
Me too glad to know, i m not the only one, have been able to do since last 20 years, i too would try doing it the next time in underwater

Is it the tympanin muscle some one talked
Does the almond oil works

I am at kolkata, india, tc
Hello i am also one that can do this...but mine is the same plus more...i can hold mine out for as long as i want, and i can control the pitch and even make them sound like words. please don't think im crazy, i just don't know what it is...also after 30 seconds, my eyes start to tense and they feel like they are shaking. the whole equalizing thing doesn't work for me, but it seems that i feel a lot stronger and care less about pain when i do it which is why i always do it before i get hit be something or fall....if i am confused and this is something else...please inform me..i have no clue what this is...
This is really interesting...im going to start Experimenting and testing what else i can do with this, ill post any info i find, i going full investigation on this and im determined to find something that we can physically show people so we arent just thought of as crazy by our piers...
Hi I have this treat to. But I was lucky I tried it during a mri it said my ear drume trushed blood into the ear and surronding area also rushed into the brain stem. The ear drum vibrate by blood filling it and muscle around it so you hear a thundering noise.We discussed this and came to the conclusion it is a evoultionary jump the extra blood and oxygen into the brain for better thinking ideas pretty much everything. It is simial to the evolution of slavic people 2 extra k9 teeth a slow over many years evoving. VERY IMPORTANT does not cause damage if used normaly but to hard or to long u can damage it but not big damage you might hear things like tetenitious but only if you really force your self hard. I hope this helps it is a evoutionary devolpment so where more evolved I thought thats pretty cool.
Mannn I LOVE all you people ! I'm Ryan and I'm 17 years old but I could do this with my ears ever since I could remember. I had to be very very little when I realize I could do this (at most by 5 I realized) and I've been doing it randomly all my life ever since. I never really thought much of it but on rare occasions as I grew up, I began asking if anyone else could do this .. Family, Friends.. And not a single person I ever talked to could do this ability lol.
It's like a thundering noise I could turn on .. by my command. It doesn't hurt at all and it occurs in my ears. One day I tried to do it as long as I could lol my eyes began to tear up after awhile so I stopped rigghttt there lol. And I can make it go for as long as I can and I never tried to time it but I bet I could go past 20 seconds on a good day lol. Me still being in school and all I came to the conclusion that maybe it was me "popping" my own ears :-\ and as I did it more i believe that could be it. But research and convos like this doesn't hurt to check out.....

I realized I was the only one and I really did think I was alone ... until just today when I finally decided to try to get some answers to this haha. Which I why I say I love you people. I hope to find out more about this ability and I'm glad there are some answers, links, and theories in this thread. -Cool B) :)
I am so happy right now!  I thought I was the only one. There's loads of us!! Yeh I know that look! Lol even my doctor has never heard of it. I am 22 and have been able to do it as long as I can remember. I can turn it on when ever I like and make it last a few minutes. I just timed 2 minutes 4 seconds but it give me a little bit of a headache lol. I can do it more intense with my eyes closed it's like I look up at the same time and it becomes more intense and loud. It happens when I yawn and feels more like it is in my head ( brain)  than in my ears. I am so glad I know what it is now. I can also move my ears voluntarily, I don't know if that is why we have it, can anyone else move there actual ear backwards and then like release it to let  it back forwards to its position? I never thought about ear pressure in flying and underwater. Will have to try it next time I feel my ears popping lol. Btw the sound started happening on its own on one side of my head on occasion for a couple of seconds. I could feel it on the left side and sometimes it would make my eye twitch. They were stressful times so I imagine this was due to stress. I havnt had this in atleast 2-3 months now so I think it will stop. Also the noise becomes easier to do when I scrunch my eyes up real tight. Obviously you can see I have experimented with it a lot over the years lol I have never known what it was until now. And never explained it as a thunder sound either but now when I do it it sounds exactly like it.  I have searched over the years but never came across this. I'm so glad I'm not the only one and I can relate to almost everything you guys are saying. Thankyou guys for commenting your experiences with it, it was a joy to read and relate. I read that someone's sibling also experienced it at a young age so it may be hereditary, that's interesting, I wonder if there is a specific reason we have possessed this phenomenon. If maybe it is a step forward in our evolution or a step back, or even a fault in our adaptation. I think if it has been passed down to a sibling, then in a case of several generations of this it could suggest a natural selection, that our genes have chosen to keep this for some unknown reason. Maybe due to us humans spending a lot more time in planes, fast cars, high altitudes and in deep water. If this does have attributes contributing towards pressure in your ears then us using more of it may cause our body's to accept it and replicate it. I know I'm taking this to other levels but I'm extremely curious with a wild imagination. If you guys have or receive any more information on this please let me know.
When I meditate and feel very connected to the energy in my body, the thunder often starts to roll just as you all have described. Along with this is tingling and pulsating behind my eyelids and often accompanied with lights. I focus on the sound and go deeply in to it. I almost feel like the thunder is dissolving painful episodes from my past. Helping me rid myself of tension and bad events that we carry unconsciously. I am always happy when they appear spontaneously. I often waken in the night with a phenomenal blissful tingling all over my inner body. Feels great. Then the thunder starts rolling. I just enjoy the show and somehow feel it is doing me some good. Like letting off steam out through your ears. I don't do drugs, I am no kid, I am a grandmother, I don't listen to loud music. All this has been happening almost daily since my interest in meditation and spiritual enlightenment started. By squeezing my eyes shut I can make it happen any time.
So I can do this to on command. More in my left ear than right.

But today I noticed something weird.. I was listening to music with my CIEM's at a medium level and every time the music stopped or it changed tracks the thunder (noise and vibration) happened involuntarily and for a 2 second period. Every time! It actually started to scare me as It only ever happens when I yawn or when I do it on purpose..

Does anyone know what's happening??
So I tried making the noise when my ears had popped and it didn't do anything. I could just hear it less and had to stop after a few seconds as it felt really uncomfortable in my head. I'm not entirely sure it's has anything todo with Ear pressure.
So I tried making the noise when my ears had popped and it didn't do anything. I could just hear it less and had to stop after a few seconds as it felt really uncomfortable in my head. I'm not entirely sure it's has anything to do with Ear pressure. Although I have noticed after doing the noise for a minute or so, a short time later I seem to make clearer and immediate decisions and my mood rises to a more positive state. I think this maybe due to blood flow and allowing more oxygen to the brain as I read somewhere above. This seems more probable. If anyone has any additional information or links to visit please post on here as I check back from time to time. Am sure we all want to know what it is
I am 65 years old and have been able to do this as long as I can remember.  I always thought everyone could do this so I never mentioned it to anyone.  When I was younger I'd use the "thunder" (never thought of it as that, until I read this thread!) to drown out things I didn't want to hear, like if someone was trying to tell me a spoiler about a movie or TV show, or if a bully yelled mean names at me.  Now I find that I do it constantly while working out at the gym--every time I do a rep of an exercise I find myself moving the insides of my ears (the way I used to think of it). It's become automatic at the gym, even while wearing headphones and listening to music. The only way I can stop doing it is by counting the exercise reps out loud, which takes focus.  The only truly involuntary time the thunder happens to me is when I swallow big. As far as I know, I am the only one in my family who can do this, though my father and brother could both wiggle their ears, something I cannot do.  So I wonder if there is indeed a connection.  FYI, I can control the loudness, as well as the pitch of the "thunder", the latter ability resembling playing scales on a piano.  Weird.  I never thought about any of this until reading the comments above.  So now what I used to think was normal has become unusual, LOL. The reason I finally googled the concept is that I am a writer and was thinking of incorporating the "power" into a story, and was looking for the name of whatever it is.