Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Liquids won't go down my throat!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Liquids won't go down my throat!

Whenever I swallow liquids it feels like my epiglottis is flicking some of the liquid back up.  It feels like a trampoline in my throat.  I can feel the epiglottis thump down and back up and it's not quite painful but it makes my throat a bit sore.  I sometimes have problems with tiny pills getting stuck in my throat, even if I drink a lot of water, then the pill just dissolves back there and it tastes just awful.  But for the most part it's liquid (even my own saliva) that just won't go down.
Tags: swallow liquid
This may possibly be more an issue for a GI Specialist to handle.  

Definitely don't return to anyone who is not taking you seriously.  

I would recommend an Upper GI Endoscopy and of course an assessment by a GI Specialist.
Have you had any endoscopies (scopes) of your esophagus at all?  

Have you consulted your physician about this?  
Yes, I've been scoped and had a barium swallow and the docs say there is nothing wrong that they can see.
Hmmmm....difficult to say what this is if you have had a normal barium swallow and a normal "scope."  

What kind of scope did you have?  

What kinds of physicians have you consulted already about this?  
I'm not sure what kind of scope.  So far it's just been an ENT.  Seems they don't take my symptoms seriously.

I have had the same problem. Mine has been just liquids also. I've had x rays, barium swallows, etc, and nothing. My doctor was convinced it was some kind of anxiety disorder, but the trial of medication did not relieve the problem. Now it comes and goes. And I live with it. It's very scary when you are unable to swallow your own spit. I am curious if they have figured out your problem.