Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lymphoid Hyperplasia of the Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lymphoid Hyperplasia of the Throat

I was diagnosed in January with having Lymphoid Hyperplasia of the Throat, and can't seem to get any advise.  The mass starts at the base of my tongue and goes from there.  They finally found it after a year of complaining of a knot above my Thyroid gland.  The mass now wraps around my neck and is very painful, and I wont take pain meds, only Ibu 600 as needed.  My doctor understands I have no insurance, and said its all good news.  No discussion of what to do next.  This thing is driving me nuts and hurts all the time..Any advice on what to do next, or what you had done.  I forgot its benign, not reactive, whatever that means.. HELP me figure it out.
Shelley
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If its benign lymphoid hyperplasia, it could sometimes occur due to infections such as Epstein Barr Virus and CMV. As the infection subsides it should resolve. Rarely, if it is causing airway obstruction, it may need surgical therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.