Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Meniere's Disease - Open forum, what worked for you?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

My mother was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about one year ago.  Her symptoms are primarily those associated with loss of hearing.  Ironically she was diagnosed and started experiencing the problems/symptoms shortly after having a crown put on one of her molars on the side with the Meniere's.  Has anyone heard of dental work making or creating Meniere's?  Do you think that it is possible it really isn't Meniere's and just something that happened with the dental work?  She has seen two different specialists and both just basically told her to avoid salt and caffenine.  Neither of these things have helped.  Any suggestions?  What has worked for you?  Thanks so much.
I came down with Meniere's Disease after having  dental work (root canal with crown placement).  I have been advised by one of my doctors that I am not the only patient that he has seen come down with this after having dental work done.  I work in the medical field and truly believe that there is a connection between the two.
In the last few years I have been experiencing all the symptoms of Meniere's Disease I will be tested for this in the next week.  these symptoms have been getting worse in the last 9 months. Whats interesting is that I have had braces & extreme problems with my jaw & TMJ since the braces & have been recovering from a spinal cord injury in the cervical spine.  My doctor  told me to go off all wheat  because a good friend of hers suffering from Meniere's stopped all wheat read an article that wheat made the symptoms and within a month found she felt a lot better. So I am going to give it a shot.  Hopefully this helps & if anyone else has any other advice, I would love to hear it.
I started having attacks of Meniere's 60 yrs ago no longer have the Vertigo, have lost all hearing in the left ear. now have almost no balance.I have been doing balance exercises
for many months, any suggestions" John
Get a prescription for Serc.  It is not available in the US but you can get in in the rest of the world.  Order it from Canada.  It is a life-saver and will help immensly with your Meniere's symptoms.  
I would get checked for a virus infection called HSV.

I am a Meniere's patient since 2005. When I was diagnosed, I learned from the ENT Dr. that Meniere's is 'a fight between my immune system and my middle ear'. I asked him what was the fight for, then he answered that if he knew, he would have found the cure for Meniere's disease.

Struggling for 3 years now, with increased symptoms in variety and intensity, I finally started a research and experiment with an antivirus called Acyclovir. Since all of my symptoms improved, I went to my PCP and demanded a test for HSV. I came out positive, and I'm presently on treatment for HSV. My Meniere's attacks have stopped.
No more vertigo, ringing in the ear etc.

It makes sense, because if the virus caused an infection in, or around my middle ear
that explains the fight, which is Meniere's disease. And when the virus becomes inactive, Meniere's goes on remission. There for Meniere's is not a disease, but a symptom of a disease.
P.S. throughout my readings and conversations with the Drs. who have seen me, I learned that an operation can reactivate the HSV virus. I had an abdominal surgery in 2002, and ever since I feel a pressure on the skin of my abdomen. It used to come and go along with the rest of my symptoms. Now it is a permanent condition.
I never had a root canal, but if it involves ganglias or nerves, the possibility exists.
I would still get tested for HSV
I have a meniere's for 9 years now.I have had surgery on my meniere's ear 3 times.My meniere's has been terrible for the last few weeks.I have had many attacks.That have made it hard to walk at all. It makes my balance terrible.Nausa has been terrible as well.
How has everyone been latley with this disease? Thanks Pigcollect69
I will try to keep a long story short, but acquired all meniere's  symptoms shortly after wrenching my neck a bit. After MRIs, steroids, ENTs, and neurosurgeons, suggestions of hearing aids, I finally sought the help of a chiropractor. Many seem to balk at this idea, but I feel obligated to let those that suffer know that his manipulation cured me. He explained that any minor neck wrenching, ex: slipping on ice, etc., can cause misalignment. In my case, the 3rd, 4th(?) vertebrae was out of place, pressing on the nerve that controls hearing and balance and causing hearing loss in my right ear, tinnitus, and horrible vertigo. I know how very frightening and debilitating this is, and feel compelled to let others know that my doctor eliminated all symptoms in a weeks time, but had me follow a routine for a few months to strengthen my neck. I have been totally symptom free for well over a year. Can this be the case with all sufferers? I don't know, but I was angry with all of the other doctors that never even breathed the word chiropractor to me. Labels are often put on conditions and then procedures and medications created for the conditions, when sometimes, the answer is just so much easier. Just as not all doctors are created equally, neither are all chiropractors, but I found a very good one, new school, and incorporates natural well being. Good luck to all.
One of my patients came down with trigeminal neuralgia after having dental work done.  It seems that physicians don't want to admit that Meniere's disease is often related to dental work.  Probably because that could open a can of worms that they aren't able to deal with.  
I would note that dental work involving mercury (amalgam) can weaken the immune system, and I believe that a weakened immune system is more likely to have an auto-immune reaction such as attacking the inner ear, because it must act more pre-emptively in attacking what may be an invading foreign organism, and lack of sufficient time for positive identification makes it more likely to mistake the body's own tissue for such an organism.  Mercury exposure is also associated with tinnitus.  The person whose relative had a crown should check to see if mercury was used to fill the tooth underneath the crown.  If so, the interaction between the unlike metals (mercury and gold or whatever was used for the crown itself) can set up a battery-like effect that releases mercury at an accelerated rate.
I've been a Meniere's patient for around 25 years. I also worked in the dental profession and had alot of dental work. I don't see any correlation between dental work and my remissions/flareups.
However, I do see correlation between stress in my life and flareups. I would say that alot of people would find aspects of dentistry very stressful and therefore a correlation between that and Meniere's disease. My teeth have been fine for years now but my Meniere's disease very active.

I've also had temporary relief of symptoms with chiropractic manipulation.
I have been suffering with vertigo for over 4 years now the first attack i had was very bad with vomiting and i could hardly walk. I was given stemetil which i have been taken since then i get dizziness daily and a fuzzy feeling and my eyes seem to glaze over and i feel very disorientated. I recently have been suffering with head pain and pressure in my head and sinus area and also a feeling of air in my ears. I have seen a ENT dr who has referred me for a MRI scan but thinks its likely menieres or a benign mass that is pushing on a nerve causing the dizziness and pain. I have also been given betahistine tablets. I do have a stressful job and the dr feels this is a cause maybe giving me tension headaches aswell. I feel so miserable like there is no end to all this and im only 22 :(
my mother in law has been diagnosed with meniere'. She recently was on  antibiotics for a unrelated breathing problem. During the treatment most of her symptoms were diminished.After the treatment they returned.Has anyone had similar results with anti biotics?
I work in aviation and have been battling syptoms (symptoms) like this for 8 months now, unable to work or fly at all.  Had multiple CT scans, MRIs, 3 ENTs, neuro specialists, etc, and they are all stumped.  Just started having dizzy spells last month, so now we're talking Menieres more than likely.

I actually had extensive dental work done about 3 years ago (multiple crowns and root canals), but everything was fine up until about 8 months ago.  Now sure why all of a sudden it popped up, now my career may be over.  Being only 30 I am also concerned about living the rest of my life in pain like this.

RCORS, I have had strep throat and a sinus infection, and both times took antibiotics which did not seem to have an effect on my ear.
I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease in 2004 and had endolymphantic shunt put in in 2005. I felt better quickly after the surgery. Within the last couple months, I have been feeling severe pain in my left ear, my jaw and down my neck. My ear is full of pressure and although I haven't had vertigo, my balance is a joke.

PCP is trying to tell me nothing is wrong, but I will be returning to ENT Dr. soon.

Anyone else have pain associated with a shunt?
I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease in 2007. It started with mostly dizzieness. Then in September of 2008 I suffered something called otolithic crisis of Tumarkin, a disabling symptom which causes a sudden fall that may occur without warning. It was a terrible experience.  After seeing my doctor and going through a series of test I was given a higer dosage of diaretics.  I have been fine for the last two years.

Has anyone else experienced this?
I've had menieres in the left ear since 2003. At first they called it cochlear hydrops. After 7 months off work as an airline captain, the FAA approved a class I medical after proving the symptoms were under control. I flew for another 3 years and did pretty well. Then menieres reared its ugly head again and came on strong. It hit me hard to the point of ending a menieres attack with dizziness. I have not flown again since that onset. I have gotten better, but the dieses is very unpredictable. One day you think your over it and it’s gone forever and then the next day it slow comes on again. I get all the classic symptoms of menieres. First, its tinnitus, then fullness and pressure, then hearing loss, and finally dizziness anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. Then, alls fine again in the ear until the cycle starts again. The Cycle may run every 24 hours, or every 3 hours, or every 6 days, who knows. That's what makes this dieses so frustrating. You never know what you’re going to get. One day you wake up and it's gone. You go 2 or 3 years with maybe slight tinnitus and that's it. With menieres, you’ll find yourself over rationalizing about causes, cures. Where did the menieres go and what made it leave? What causes it? They say auto-immune, allergy, or virus, but the experts don't know.
I use to go to a very good clinic in LA for 5 years with the best doctors available. They believe menieres is brought on by allergies to foods and the environment, which causes an auto-immune reaction. So their primary treatment for menieres is allergy shot treatment along with hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg and papaverine. This actually seemed to work somewhat. Bur, here’s the cruel part, you can not get papaverine anymore because the manufacture stops making it. I have noticed that my hydrochlorothiazide treatment is not as effective anymore without the papaverine. Papaverine enabled the hydrochlorothiazide to get into my inner ear and keep the fluid out. Papaverine is a vasodilator and enabled excellent blood flow which was good because the inner ear has very poor blood flow. Now, instead of taking papaverine, they recommend taking niacin twice a day to increase blood flow. It doesn’t work.  
I was wondering if anyone collects disability for their menieres. I was on the Social Security Administration website and saw they now have included menieres disease as a NEW qualifier for disability payments.
2.07      Disturbance of labyrinthine-vestibular function (Including Ménière's disease), characterized by a history of frequent attacks of balance disturbance, tinnitus, and progressive loss of hearing.  With both A and B:
A.  Disturbed function of vestibular labyrinth demonstrated by caloric or other vestibular tests; and
B.  Hearing loss established by audiometry.
Has anyone attempted or is now receiving disability because of menieres or other related disturbance of  the labyrinthine-vestibular function?

Nothing has actually 'worked' for me. I have been living with true Meniere's for six years now. The past three to the point of not being able to function well enough to work or play/relax. I have permanently lost 25% of my hearing and balance. Diagnosis - "You will get worse until you die". There are some forms of ear trouble that can be attributed to many things such as allergies. These can generally be handled through medications and the disease halted. I think the hard part is not knowing why there is such a severe malfunction. I have achieved a relative balance through monitoring my activities and using diazepam and diuretics to ward off the more severe attacks that leave me retching for hours. But, there is not a moment of surcease from the spinning and roaring in my head.

I am curious, since I have a multitude of other symptoms if there isn't some autoimmune deficiency behind the whole problem. Though, I have been tested for every known viral/autoimmune disease they could think of. It is quite frustrating living in this limbo of what might happen next. This last year severe asthma joined the rank of symptoms. Has anyone else had this problem?
Hello All,

I'll try to keep this short...I've had Meniere's for 14 years.

For the first 5 years, I was in emergency rooms and saw neurologists, balance disorder specialists and a few other docs. None of them knew what was going on with me, and I was diagnosed with everything from Migraines to brain tumors (presumptive diagnoses ruled out by MRI) to drug abuse. I was 21 and scared. Initially, only my left ear was affected.

Once I as diagnosed with Meniere's, I was referred to a neurotologist in Dallas (http://www.dallasear.com/conditions-menieres.html). My dizziness was treated with an inner ear perfusion of gentomycin, and that was pretty much the end of the dizzy spells. Eventually the disease went into remission altogether for several years, and then it returned in both ears. I still don't get dizzy spells (thank the Lord), but my hearing fluctuates wildly, and I do periodic treatments with oral steroids.

This disease is weird. No one really knows what causes it or what treats it, and it takes HIGHLY individualized treatment to cope with. My heart goes out to each of you. I have lived years with debilitating dizzyness for anywhere from minutes up to 6 or 8 hours at a time. Now, I have to explain to people why I am able to converse normally with them today and next week when I see them, I might say, "Huh?" a million times in the course of a conversation. I have tried almost everything mentioned in this thread, chiropractic, diet, atibiotic/antiviral therapy, anti-vertigo, anti-siezure meds, etc, etc. There are months when some things seem to correlate and others when everything seems incredibly random. Find a doc that knows this disease and stick to him or her like glue. In my experience, there aren't that many of them out there. And if you are in Dallas, find Dr. Robert Peters and Medical City. He's amazing.

My best to you all,
Chad
I was diagnosed with Maniere’s about 5 years ago.  I currently take Phenagrin and Antivert when I get light headed and it seems to stop the symptoms from increasing.  It work reasonably well but I’m getting concerned about taking Phenergan daily.  
I’m contemplating trying a Meniett device.  Their web site says that “the device delivers a computer-controlled, complex algorithm of low pressure pulses that are transmitted to the middle ear space and act on the round window membrane. It is believed that the energy of the pressure pulses causes a displacement of the perilymphatic fluid, which stimulates the flow of endolymphatic fluid and results in a reduction of endolymphatic fluid.”  It requires a tube (I would call it a grommet) be inserted (similar to the tubes put in kids ears for drainage).  I’m trying to see if anyone has experience with the device.  It is partially covered by Medicare and the distributor says that they will take it back if it doesn’t solve the problem.  You have to pay for it up front, them Medicare pays over time.  They tell me they have over an 80% success rate (meaning that 20% return the device).   If anyone has experience with the device, please comment in the forum.  If anyone has experience with the Meniett device, please provide your experience.

ChuckJ

I was diagnosed with Menieres five years ago and it is the most frustrating disease.  Thankfully I have not had a major rotational vertigo attack for about 4 monhs or so. I have yet to find a trigger but I am still searching, I have tried everything and still cannot correlate anything that I have done or not done that would bring on an attack.  At this point I have lost about 50% of the hearing in my left hear, constant tinnitus, I lose my balance as soon as I close my eyes.  The worst thing is not knowing when an attack will happen...in 5 minutes I could have a major rotational vertigo attack and pass out after vomiting for 8 hours(past experience).  Seems to be in remission at this point and I am keeping a log book to see if I can find that damn trigger. :)  

Good luck to all,
John G.
just wanted to add to my previous post.  I have constant tinnitus in my left ear and one thing I have noticed that when I touch certain areas on the left side of my face I can change the volume, pitch, and tone of the ringing.  The 3 specialist that I have seen said they have never heard of that before.
The only trigger I found for myself was stress/adrenaline.This will generally bring on an attack within hours. I can ward some of these off with diazepam. No other outside problems seem to bring on the dizzy spells. Certain things aggravate the problem and I can't tolerate some medicines, like vicodin or cough suppressants.

I also lose my balance when my eyes close or I am in the dark. I even lose it just walking across the room. The volume or pitch of my tinnitus changes with the stress I am experiencing. I don't get a volume change by touching my face, but can sometimes ease the onset of attacks and the feeling of pressure by massaging behind my ears and down the back of my neck and base of my skull.
I have had rotational vertigo attacks under extreme stress but have had the same type of rotational vertigo attacks when there was no stress at all.  I also have night blindness and find it impossible to walk without a point of reference.  
It is the same for me. I get them sometimes without the stress, as well. But, without fail, the stress always triggers it. Sometimes something as easy as the phone ringing can set off enough adrenaline to trigger a response.

I also found the last time I went to town I had trouble focusing outside, looking at distant objects. Sadly, I discovered two weeks ago that I can't watch snow falling anymore. The motion triggered an attack.
Try Serc and stemetil,
It dosent cure it but can help it.
I have used both for last 15 years,still get bouts of dizzy attacks and the buzzing in my ear but it helped me get back to work after ten years.
I find centers like shopping malls can bring it on.
                                 Stemital
I find I get dizzy spells in some supermarkets, as soon as I walk in the doors I get that light headed feeling.
Most TN patients get some or all of their teeth pulled before being diagnosed. That is because dental work is a trigger, so they go back to the dentist. The same thing can happen to a Meniere's patient, but not as often. What do they have in common? Whiplash. But it happens an average of 15 years before the onset of symptoms. There is more info including x-rays at www.MenieresResearch.com
i have been very dizzy for 3 months...i have been to GP, ENT, and ER more then once and havent had any answers yet.

im VERY scared about this, something is going on, im not crazy and making this all up.seems way worse in the morning.(or maybe just cause i take meclizine in the morning and i feel like crap till it kicks in)

2 cat scans, blood work, VNG, allergy test....all normal.....just wanna get some kinda answers as to what is going on and why and what can i do to prevent this. i need to finish school and i cant when i feel like this.....

im going to back to ENT in about an hour and a neurologist on monday, who would be the person to diagnos meniers disease?vestibular neuritis? BPPV? something???

im tired fo going to all these dr for no answers
I feel the same way. I have had MRIs, blood work, VNG, hearing test, been to neurologists, ENTs everything. Anything vestibular and neurological has been ruled out. They keep telling me its all in my head and its anxiety but i refuse to believe that. I have never had probs with anxiety or anything like that. I dont know what to do either. I read above about carolyns comment about the neck injury and i got rear ended a few yrs ago where i recevied a neck injury im thinking maybe that this is the problem. i also had an mri of the brain that showed i had a enlarged pituitary gland...would this have any correlation? idk. TO ANYONE ELSE ALSO. please feel free to answer.

i hope you find answers and i really dont know what to tell you because im having the same probs. i hope you are well soon tho and i hope for myself that i am well soon. i cant take much more of this. im 25 yrs old and should be enjoying life. i have been unable to drive or work. this has completely taken over my life and hope to someday find someone who can help me :(
E-mail: ***@****
Tel Mòbil: 051 9567 12 358  /  051 997 33 5998
Address: Av. Gran Chimù 345  2º piso Urb. Zarate,San Juan de Lurigancho, Lima-Perú

Testimony 01
Cajamarca-Perú
1979-2010

Before making a brief account of my experience with the disease Meniere's syndrome and subsequent cure, I give them hope, and say that there is a cure for the disease, and that they can restore the quality of life lost disease.
He was 18 when the disease started, first with severe headaches, then with intermittent noises in my left ear, then partial hearing loss associated with dizziness, vertigo and vomiting.
It is a disease that involves the family, and visit many doctors without encouraging results, the disease runs its course and with it the physical and mental deterioration. Search a lot, until you reach the Hospital Hipólito Hunánue invited by the wife of a doctor friend who worked there and to ENT specialist. We were many people who attended some tests to rule out Meniere's syndrome, my diagnosis is that I suffered, the solution at the time, surgery is not recommended now, that meant first financing operation which had not already who began university studies and second hearing loss for the procedure to perform the surgery. I decided to further investigate the obtained products of nature, in this study had to endure discomforts of the effect of these products, when they had all lost, I tried the last thing my mother by her side was investigated, and after 7 days this treatment was my big surprise to feel relieved of this disease, then I got better treatment with better results and repeated annually and all these years I did a normal life with no hint of illness, leave my testimony in the network, and many people have undergone the treatment, here are some testimonials from people who have recovered.
                                                                  Carlos Núñez B.

Testimony 02
Callao –Perú
07/06/2009

My name is Juana Valderrama Abanto, identified with DNI 25525418, I suffer from Meniere's syndrome for over 5 years, I have been developing the medically indicated treatment from grabol shots, betas and buses in recent months, these tablets do not had no effect, dizziness and pains in the head were stronger, one of my children, I have two, one 27 and another 33 years, research on the Internet and found the testimony of Mr. Carlos Núñez B., who have expressed healing, with some trepidation came and have taken these natural medicines, and during this time and episodes of dizziness have stopped and confidence allows me to do my activities, I hope this testimony will serve to help others.
                                                                   Abanto Juana V.

Testimony 03
Guayaquil-Ecuador
28/05/2010
I Rodolfo Hernandez Heredia, Ecuador 51 years old, from 2000 to 2009 I suffered from dizziness and vertigo, they were unbearable, and I could never heal satisfactorily after having visited several doctors.
Because of my illness and see that I recovered, repeatedly enter the Internet, and instead of finding encouraging phrases, I came to despair because all I read is depressing picture, which only served to make me into despair.
In April 2009, and with the help of a great friend found data Carlos Nunez, who gave me great hope.
The treatment is performed in July 2009 for a period of eight days, and disappeared in the next month dizziness and vertigo for 11 months I had no problems, so I decide to make the treatment a second time.
I thank Carlos for having found the cure for this health problem.
I am happy to be in good condition and also because I always thank God there are people who nonprofit gives its unconditional support.
                                                                     Rodolfo Hernandez

Testimony 04
Lima –Perú
23/07/2010

My name is Blanca Mendoza Wong identified with DNI 08054755, I suffer from vertigo and dizziness resulting from an accident 7 years ago, my medical treatment is indicated by, take micro, Betacar cinageron, Stugeron, take dinegal, gasual, but I the opportunity to go online and followed the treatment of Carlos Núñez Becerra and helped me a lot, I have no dizziness or vertigo, left this testimony to others who can help you heal.
                                                                       Blanca Mendoza

Testimony 05
Lima –Perú
11/11/2010

My name is Efrain Arango. In December 2008 I experienced what I was dizzy, so I went to specialists and was diagnosed with Meniere's syndrome. All 2009 I underwent various treatments and therapies. Take betas, buses, I turned to alternative medicine such as homeopathy and so on. Finding no solution to my health problem. So much so that I placed online review NUÑEZ CARLOS BECERRA, who offered a natural treatment who resorted important and I appreciate your help. I have about 8 months and dizziness, vertigo have stopped and my work allows me normally.
Currently, in November. 2010 am following a new treatment as a preventive measure attesting to the good results. I hope this experience will serve others so they can reach an important aid to your health.
                                                                               Efrain Arango
                                                                               ID: 08515401

Testimony 06
Lima –Perú
23/07/2010

Kelvin Vallejos  Valer identified with DNI 45129567 22, 4 years ago I suffer from dizziness and ringing in the ears, at first were not very frequent dizzy and passed very quickly, that's why we do not take it much importance, but after 2 years and were frequent and prolonged.
This is where I started going to the doctors and after many studies I found Meniere's syndrome. The doctors prescribed pills, as Betaserc, microserc, acetazolamide. But they gave no results, and well I started researching on the internet, and that's where I find Mr. Carlos Núñez B. who have expressed a cure, and then went to the house of Mr. Charles and good I said I had to take some natural medicines that it's prepared, initially had a lot of fear, and after two weeks of taking the medication calmed me dizzy and I can do my work with confidence, I hope this testimony will help you and can trust Mr. Carlos Núñez.
                                                                 Kelvin V. Vallejos

Testimony 07
Lima –Perú
11/06/2009

July Mandujano Flores I identified with DNI 09708038, I have 46 years and almost two and a half years I was the first sign of dizziness and vertigo, but do not take important, 6 months ago
I had a relapse, which scared me and I decided to go to the doctor, they told me tinnitus, but it was contradictory, because I had dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, so I went to several doctors, of which the doctor eHealth me indicated that it was Meniere's syndrome.
Just as many people and Mr. Carlos Nunez also researching on the internet here, which I gave the treatment to decrease dizziness and vomiting, which I am taking a herbal medicine for 10 days.
I am improving significantly with natural shots.
I leave this testimony in faith that can be used for patients with this symptom.
                                                         Mandujano July Flowers

First, I want to say I really feel for everyone reading this thread. It's an effing frustrating condition to have. We all know! And to the scammers who will try to take advantage of you in your desperation, shame on them! Beware of people posting questionable things online about miracle cures, etc. (I am not sure about the person who posted before me, but it really looked pretty sketchy to me. Ignore anything that gives you that icky feeling!) Careful what you buy.
-
It's probably been about 5 years since I first had Meniere's symptoms. I have done extensive research as this thundering noise in my left ear comes and goes and it seemed like it was without any sort of logic or pattern.
-
I have noticed though, that it seems to return every year in November as the cold and wet NW weather sets in. It can also be a stressful time and a time when I start caving on my good eating habits and start eating more sugar, wheat, dairy and other things that I have identified to be problematic to my system.
-
After reading countless threads with anticipation and eagerness to find a cure or a direction, I always seem to end up feeling like I've wasted my time and feel drained and hopeless. I feel the same after a series of doctors' visits with "experts" who cannot really help me at all.
-
I want to share with you what you might want to try to take this into your own hands. These are not quick cures but they are the only things that I have found to be helpful whatsoever in his journey...
-
1. Get a NOTEBOOK. Use a page per day to RECORD things. Write EVERYTHING you eat, how bad your Meniere's is (I rate mine 1, 2 or 3 to keep it simple), how stressed you were that day (1, 2, 3), how much water you drank, and the date. Do this for at least 3 months so you have some time to see patterns. If you are not having any Meniere's symptoms, continue keeping track as this can be very helpful too.
-
If you have a friend who is really clear, maybe a teacher or someone like that who is good at keeping things simple and not getting sucked into the drama of your situation, you may want to go over the data with that person and ask them to help you find correlations. If I had not kept track, I would not have realized that my symptoms always return in November. This could be due to several factors but at least it's a pattern and I can work with that to get to some experimentation to try to solve this.
-
2. Consider doing an ELIMINATION DIET. I did a program through a local NW woman and she offers it online too. It's excellent and can help you really find out which foods might be exacerbating the problem. On day 3 of the diet, the chronic, hellish noise in my ear vanished. It only came back recently with cold weather, rain, and a return to foods I had identified during her course that were bad for me. If you want to check it out, it's at www.TQIDiet.com. I do not work for Kathy. I took her class in person but may take it again online sometime. I get no benefit from promoting this. Just want to help those who have struggled as I have. The class is very affordable and may help you with other things beyond your ear symptoms. If not her class, then just find a good, complete elimination diet online or from your doctor. This can be so enlightening! I discovered a lot doing this.
-
3. EXERCISE. I have noticed a direct relationship between not exercising and returning to my symptoms. I believe I read somewhere that exercise keeps fluids moving in your body and decreases the chances of fluid build up. It can also help decrease stress dramatically. I know for sure that stress impacts Meniere's.
-
4. LIMIT your time doing RESEARCH on this subject. It's totally crazy making! If you really want to read threads like this or search for doctors, set a timer. It's not worth it to stress out doing this for hours. You won't find more answers, just more confusion. I know, I've done it. The stress of being online for hours, banging your head against your keyboard is not worth it. Try the 3 things above and see what you discover. You may find you can impact this condition without prescription drugs. I was free of all my Meniere's symptoms this entire year. It wasn't until I returned to eating foods I had identified as problematic and the weather changed that the symptoms returned.
-
Finally, DON'T GIVE UP! There are people who end their lives over Meniere's symptoms. You can get through this. Call a trusted friend. Go for a run. Drink 3 glasses of water upon rising. Get massage every week. Do whatever you have to do to get some relief without taking it out on others or yourself. You can do this. I know, it's a pain and feels hopeless at times, but there are many of us and we can cheer each other on from afar. Try not to overwhelm yourself with too much information. Just go back and read those three steps I outlined and try them. They have helped me so much. Good luck!
Very interesting.  I too notice Menieres at this time, actually it starts coming on strong in October will last for a few months, sporadically during that time, will normally show itself once or twice in the spring and then go away until the next fall.  I started having this about 5  years ago but the first two years I just experienced the roaring in my ears, it would last for about 2 weeks and then just go away.  The third year, in mid October I again got the roaring in my right ear (always the right, never left), it lasted about 2 weeks and then in the middle of the night I awoke with severe vertigo and then started throwing up immediately.  I didn't have it again until the 4th year in the fall and I had it 3 times (each time lasting approximately 2 weeks until it peaks..tinnitus for two weeks then severe vertigo and nausea and then hearing is fine)...This is my 5th year... I've had 4 attacks since October 1.  The first three I was able to get the meclizine and nausea med in immediately to combat it.. last night it came on so fast that as soon as I was able to get the first pill in I was running to the bathroom.  So who knows if the medicine even absorbed into my body... I probably threw it up.  Does anyone else get extremely hot and sweaty during the attack?  That seems so strange to me but it happens every time.  

It's such a strange disease, I know my husband is getting concerned.  I saw an ENT 3 years ago and I'm trying to find a doctor who KNOWS the disease, as I don't want to waste my time.  Anyone know a good Meniere's doc in Indianapolis?
The internet is wonderful to seek information and solutions to problems. I have always noticed that the majority of posts on self-help health forums are about people who have a problem (or why would they be posting, makes sense). However, much fewer people come back to let the group know if the problem has improved or resolved. This also makes sense because when a problem goes away, you want to just get on with your life and not think about it. But it's important to post success stories, they may lead people to solutions and give people hope.

I have posted previously on my issue, but will summarize it here, and how the problem has almost ENTIRELY GONE AWAY. So if you want a success story, read on.

I am a 48yr old male that had no history of hearing problems. In January of 2009, I started to notice that the sound of a telephone dial-tone (or when it was ringing), there was a slight distortion in my right ear only. The dial-tone tones sounded different and I thought it was my phone. But another phone did the same thing, and that is when I thought it may be my hearing.

This distortion continued to increase. It was always my right ear only. My hearing in my left ear was fine. Voices sounded robotic and lower in pitch, like a cartoon alien sound. It was always worse with higher frequencies, so female voices were especially bad. I also noticed that tones from my bad ear were lower than my right ear (I found later this is called diplacusis).

With this I also had a low-frequency rushing tinnitus and a fullness feeling in my ear. I saw multiple ENTs and otologists. I must admit the ENTs were worthless in helping me. They must be used to treating infections so I started to see otologists. They conducted hearing and an ECOG test, and I was diagnoised with "endolymphatic hydrops", which is a abnormal fluid pressure in the coclea, better known as "Meniere's". I had this without vertigo, which is sometimes called “atypical Meniers”. Further, since it was in one ear, it was called “unilateral atypical Meniers”. The symptoms Meriers are well documented: low-freq tinnitus, low-freq hearing loss, sound distortion (the worse part for me), and a pressure/fullness feeling.

The doctors told me only thing that could be done to slow (or stop) the progression was to give me inner-ear steroid injections. I had three of these, they hurt but I was willing to do anything to help this growing problem. Interesting, the Otologist seem to make a fortune on this treatment, they billed my insurance company about $3,000 for each treatment. I was also told to drastically reduce salt intake, which I did with little effect. I was also prescribed diuretics (Hydrochlorothiazide, also known as HCTZ), they helped some but not to any great extent.

To function I had to use an earplug in my right ear to block out the distortion. I used Etymotic Research ER20 ETY earplugs. They are inserted into the ear canal, and are barely noticeable. I wore one of these in my right ear every day, all day long. I was careful to always sit to the right of people so I could hear them through my good ear (left ear).

Then I started to lose my hearing, especially lower frequencies. My hearing continued to decline. This was actually a relief because the distorted sounds around me were less noticeable. I stopped using the earplug. You also get used to hearing the distortion (to some extent) so that helped. This is called habituation. At first the brain senses something is wrong and after time goes by, it realizes you are not being hurt by it, so the brain starts to somewhat block it out.

Most of the feeling of fullness and low frequency tinnitus went away, so I was left with two BIG primary issues: distortion and hearing loss. I was absolutely convinced sounds would always be distorted and I would never regain my hearing. I had accepted it.

This continued over the next 2.5 years since the onset of the problem. It never got better. Then in June of 2011 something amazing happened. I noticed the distortion was starting to go away! I was able to take out my earplug and over the next 2-3 WEEKs my ear recovered to the point the distortion is was almost entirely gone, the low frequency tinnitus and fullness were completely gone, and hearing tests showed I recovered the majority of my hearing.

So the question is, what changed? As it turns out, my recovery started the same time I stopped smoking. I used a 14mg nictone patch, later it was lowered to 7mg. Did this have something to do with my recovery? I do not know, but it seems consequential that at the SAME time I stopped smoking (and used the patches) my hearing recovered in several weeks. That was over 6 months ago, and my hearing remains almost normal.

I wanted to share this story with you, perhaps it will help someone or provide some hope. If you do not smoke, there is a chance you will have a spontaneous recovery anyway. If you do smoke, stop and take the patch, and see if it makes a difference.

If you want to contact me please email Greg at windsong7204 at yahoo *******.

Rgds, Greg

18 months ago is the first time I believe I had any symptoms of Meniere's.  I was in the hospital after having a C-section. I was given a Morphine drip to help with the pain.  I didn't like the way it made me feel because I felt like my head was cloudy and that my eyes wanted to roll in the back of my head and flutter so I asked for it to be removed.  Well, that didn't stop the odd feeling or eye fluttering.  It eventually got worse and I constantly felt tired, very tired all the time.(I know...I just had a baby so I should be tired, but this was an unusual tired.) When I was at home I noticed I always felt like the floor was at a slant and that I was going to walk into walls or I felt like I was going to collapse and fall as if my legs would just give out. I associated it with the epidural I was given and figured the symptoms would go away, but they didn't. I woke up one morning and had a low rumbling or roaring in my head and a full feeling in my right ear.  It took me a couple days to notice I actually had hearing loss in my right ear. I then went to a clinic open on Saturdays to see if I had an ear infection.  They flushed my ear many times for no reason, used a pick-type thing in my ear and then told me they didn't know what it was and gave me a prescription for an ear drop I couldn't use while breastfeeding. A few weeks later I woke up 2 days in a row extremely nauseous any time I moved so I couldn't get out of bed. I knew something had to be wrong so I looked my symptoms up on the internet and came up with Meniere's.  I went to my Dr and told him my symptoms and he said the same thing.  Well, I haven't actually been tested for it, but nothing else fits.  
Does anyone else get extremely tired from their symptoms? My head feels weird all the time as if gravity is trying to pull it down and my brain feels cluttered and confused a lot. My tinnitus comes and goes and I still have the eye fluttering/rolling problem on a regular basis. I'd just like some input from people who actually have the disease to know if what I'm feeling is truly Meniere's.
Oh, and on a side note, I did have a very painful stiff neck problem that started after the beginning symptoms where I could barely move my neck from side to side for a couple months.  It was very sore.  I am the person who always cracked my neck but I couldn't for many months after the pain went away. I don't know if this has any relevance.
Faith2012 My Faith Journey with Meniere’s: Just started steriod treatment which seems to be working.

HI I’m faith2012 . 12/31/11 I had my first attack with what we now know to be Meniere’s /vertigo. What a way to bring in the new year, I guess with a purpose.   It has been an incredible journey full of valleys and mountains.  After the attack I lost complete hearing in my right ear, extreme vertigo, dizziness , Tinnitus ect. Today I have some hearing in my right ear due to faith and some aggressive treatments involving steroid injections in to my ea given by my otolaryngologist . Also I am having less Tinnitus, less fullness in my ear and less sensitivity to sound. Great improvement for someone who loss total hearing in the right ear.  I want to share this journey not for you to duplicate by to extract a sense of hope.  When I was looking for my self I saw lots of  stuff through informative,  made me feel more depressed.  I feel god wanted me to write this before I went to work because possibly some one needed to read it.
1/25/12 –Yesterday was an awesome day. Today I was scheduled to have my follow up hearing test from my oncologist. He was to determine if the first two injections that I received impacted o my total deafness in my right ear and if we would continue to proceed with this aggressive course of treatment.  As usual  i prayed earlier in the day. I started  reading the book of John but in the chaos of the morning (getting kids to together for school and myself together for work and trying to do last minute ELA studying I could not find my bible.  I am a strong believer If god wants me to take a moment  to read the bible then if I get side tracked it is because other forces want me not to read it.  Any how, I eventually read a few verses in John.  I sat in the waiting room of my doctors office.  At this point I felt that I was having more hearing of sound but wasn’t sure because the Tinnitus seemed to increase a bit after the last injection and the hibiscus.  While the vertigo, dizziness had improved greatly since 12/31 when I would vomit for every three steps I took.  Any way in the audiology room I got very nervous because I could not hear the sounds in my left ear ( only to discover there was a problem with the wire in the head phone what a relief). Once that was clear she checked the left ear which was still testing perfect. Then a I got the test for the right ear I had to concentrate to drown out the fast pace of my hear t beating and the sounds of the Tinnitus. I was able to hear some sounds and what appears to be low muffed words.  When she told me there was improvement I was ecstatic.  I met with my doctor who himself told me he was absolutely amazed .  He showed me the comparison of the two test which revealed a dramatic increase of my new baseline and my current baseline. He was shocked to see the improvement in only two shots . He cautioned me that I still don’t have functional use of this ear and there is still a long way to go. He made a comment that he has not seen someone who truly believed like I had. He commented that many people say they believe but I truly believe( I didn’t ask him what he was referring to I just thanked him). He felt that we would continue tom with this course of treatment, but we would not continue the oral Prednisone 20.ge 3x day due to the possible damage it could do. I did ask if  the oral combined with the injection could also have impacted the result he said yes but we needed to discontinue the oral it because of the possible medical side effects.  So I will continue to take my self imposed medical regiment consisting of vitamins, ginko bolbla, calcium chews, ginger ect along side my injections.  As I have said I don’t know how l long this journey will be, but I know it will lead me to a better place that I was before. I am fully confident that I will be cured and I am confident that “my god”   is in the healing business and has worked though some remarkable people in my life.   I hope that you continue to follow me on my journey only wishing to inspire others to never loose faith.  I will post by full journal staring from day one. 5:15 am time to get ready for work and school  to everyone have a blessed day.   I will write more later

Faith 2012
  My daughter has menieres,she is only 26,has a very stressful job as a chef, been told to change her job, as working outside helps as not so many straight lines,that statement needed thinking about, but does make sense to her as everything seems to move.
At the moment she is off sick,doesnt know what to do for best, if she gives her job up how will she manage?
so do not feel alone ,let us know how you get on!
This is my first time on this site. I have suffered with meniers for a very long time and when it happens I am so sick that I can't function. The last time (about 3 weeks ago I ended up in emerg and of course the dr. thought that maybe I might have tried suicide. When I explained that I have meniers, I felt that they still did not believe me. It is a terrible condition to have and when I was diagnosed in Ottawa, the dr. told me that there was nothing that he could really do for me. Since than my thyroid has acted up and the symptoms are even worse, and I don't know how to deal with it. It helps to know that I am not the only one who goes through this, but do you get treated like I did, as though you were trying to do yourself in?
I was just diagnosed with meniere's today by my ENT. I am 39 and have already lost my low frequency hearing in both ears. Looking back now, pretty sure I have had this for at least 13 yrs. Being that it is a slow progression, I see where I shrugged off symptoms for weight gain/too much sugar, or just stress. A few yrs ago I woke up to get ready for work and my world had literally turned upside down. My poor kids watched me crawl around the house crying still trying to get dressed for worked. Went in full panick attack bc I thought I was stroking or something. Ambulance had to take me to the hospital(the embarrassment). That's when I was told I had vertigo. Gave me some meclazine which knocks me out and off I went. Those episodes last me about 3 days at a time. Happened pretty often then but slowed a lot. Still always having a balance problem. Now for the past year I have had constant fulness in my ears, ringing that makes me bang my fist to my head to try to shut it up, always dizzy, hearing loss, headaches everyday, and can't think straight at work. I feels like I have lost brain cells bc I use to be so quick witted and very attentive where as now I am always asking people to repeat themselves and apologizing for being a ditz! My ENT was straight forward with me. Told me I will continue to lose my hearing until it's gone and he will try to help with the symptoms for the side effects as best he can. I am terrified to have a procedure he called the round window profusion....anyone know of this? Putting a hole in my eardrums to shoot steroids in them is a scary thought to an already going deaf person. Any input will be greatly appreciated:) Everyone of your stories are so identical to mine it's almost eerie.
I had a root canal when I was in my early twenties I am forty one know I was sitting in the dentists chair and he told me to raise my hand if I felt any pain so I did and he gave me a shot right in the whole were he was doing the root canal and I got so dizzy he had to stop and raise the chair up until the dizzy spell went away it was the shot that gave me menieres it crystallized in my ear according to my ent and know there is nothing I can do about it but live with it for the rest of my life it *****......
PLEASE HELP ME!  I too have been tested for everything under the sun.  All of my test have come back negative.  In the meantime I have accrued high medical cost but have received NO answers and limited help.  I am tired, frustrated and on the brink of despair.  What is a HSV?  I am calling my PCP first thing on Monday morning to be tested.  Is the antivirus med Acyclovir an over the counter med?  If not, who prescribed the med?  What is HSV?
Please share with me more information about the treatment.  I am desperate :(
Thank you!  I am going to try everything you have suggested.

Take care,

Raquel
Hi Faith,

Thank you.  I have cried and cried and cried some more.  I have asked  God WHY more times than I probably should have.  My faith is forever waning and I feel like I am out here all alone.  Lately, because of this thing called Menieres, my faith has waned even more.  I feel like I am being punished.  Punished for what?  I could not begin to tell you.  It just seems that I must have done something to attract this type of suffering.  Then there is a piece of me deep down inside that believes and knows GOD can do ALL things.  Reading your message gave me HOPE and reinforced the fact that I need GOD and I need to spend more time with him.  Praising HIM.  Honoring HIM.  GLORIFYING HIM!  Honestly, I seem to devote less and less time to GOD each day, month, year.  Thank you for reminding me I need HIM in my life everyday.  Thank you for showing me what Faith and GOD can do . . . HEAL.

Thank you.

Raque
I was diagnosed with Menieres Disease a couple of months ago. I was experiencing severe pain in my ears and sudden attacks of  vertigo. My doctor told me there was no cure. I started going to a Chiropractor and after 3 visits a week for 2 weeks I no longer experience the dizziness or the severe attacks of vertigo, my ear has also started to drain. The best news is when I yawn I can feel my ear open up and pop. It would be worth a visit to a Chiropractor to see if they could help you. Good luck!
Try visiting a chiropractor I did and I no longer have any problems. Good luck!
Hi, I've been experiencing vertigo since May 16, 2012 each day. I started back in 1994 and lasted for months. Subsided for years and seemed like it returned during peak allergy times. I've had MRI's, CT's, trips to the emergency room, and everything else most of us sufferers had experienced without any relief in the end. Meniere's is almost always the answer when tinnitus is involved when receiving an explanation from an ENT. This year it almost got me killed on the highway. Out of no where it was a violent episode hitting a tractor trailer and down the embankment into the woods in February 2012. Then went away.  Came back in May and hasn't stopped. I trying the natural approach instead of all these prescription drugs. Watching what I eat and so on. Only been experiencing vertigo the first hour I wake up and in a vertical position lasting a few minutes to a couple of hours. Sometimes the Valium and the anti-vert or any motion sickness works and other times quells the vertigo temporarily. I've suffered the violent episodes one too many this year. I'm so use to it now I don't get the nausea and throwing up just wait for it to go away. You would think since millions of us suffer from this that someone out there like a "House" could figure out what can cure it. Stay strong and don't give up! You're not alone. I got depressed but now I'm just mad and frustrated. Keep trying don't give up on yourself !    
I have suffered from this dreaded disease for 40+ years!  It started when I went away to college which I found to be a most stressful situation.  Woke up one morning with severe vertigo and thus Meniere's entered my life.  However, it wasn't diagnosed until 8 years later when working in Montreal and it started to rear its ugly head.  I have had severe bouts throughout my life with the tinnitus, fullness and brain freeze and have minimal bouts of vertigo.  About 2 years ago, I stopped drinking alcohol completely and all symptoms were gone.  Until May of this year, it came back with a vengeance and more frequently than ever.  I stopped eating all packaged foods, I drink only water, eat fresh fruit and vegetables, exercise daily and still can't shake it.  On a diuretic which helped somewhat and now started a regime of lipoflavonoids.  I will be seeing an ENT later this month.  I do need hearing aids..lost hearing over the years.  Nothing is more frustrating that not being able to hear what people are saying and trying to explain why.  I am 63 and fear that this will not get better as I am now noticing by balance is off.   I am sorry that others are suffering from Meniere's and feel their pain.  I am testimony that it does not go away, unfortunately but I would love to know how to control it BEFORE it arrives!!  Has anyone had any luck with acupuncture?  
I had Meniere's (or that's what they called it anyways) and after a year of misery and much research, had all my mercury( they call them amalgam fillings) fillings taken out. I had five, and from everything I've read that's usually the cutoff where you start having real problems. The connection to dental work is the mercury, it builds up in your nervous system over time, and is a very potent neurotoxin. I still have hearing loss (which still seems to be improving) and ringing (which is very mild) but no dizziness left and the tiredness is gradually receding. I am still taking Chlorella to chelate the mercury out of my system. Anyone who has Meniere's and more than five amalgam fillings should get them taken out. It's worth a shot. But do it the right way, with a mercury free dentist, just search the internet, and then talk to them first.
Hi Linda,

I am 27 and was diagnosed with Menieres 6 years ago. I have been to every ear nose and throat specialist in the area, had MRI's and been on a variety of medications. Nothing worked. Within the past 3 years I have been getting acupuncture which has severely reduced my vertigo attacks which I feel are brought on when I am stressed. It took about a year to manage but I am now completely off any medication and only get minor vertigo clusters.
I was diagnosed with Meniere's last year at Mayo but mine started in 2008. This year I have notice I can stop the noise in my year by putting pressure right in front of my ear. I have told the Drs I think what I am hearing is my own blood rushing thru veins. I have noticed while lying down it can increase depending on how I am positioned and it can change when i move my head a certain way.  No one will listen.
Hello. I was diagnosed with Menieres 7 years ago... had every simptom people are talking about in every forum on the net... untill I started eating (being) VEGAN! It has been now over 2 years that i didnt have any problems. But those 5 years before were like hell. I hope it will never come back. Only medication I am still taking is Vestibo 8mg, just in any case. But I really think that the Vegan lifestyle (diet) helped me in my case... You all shoud try it, have nothing to loose except the disease. Hope this will help someone.
Take care!
Thank you so much for your encouraging post, i am all the better from reading it.
What sort of technique did your chiropractor use on you.  I have been to one who used a NUCCA technique on me and my symptoms improved and even disappeared for 1 year  2 months then slowly returned.  I am curious to know if you are still meneire's free after all these years.
hi, i use to be on a diuretic for my vertigo, i have no insurance anymore which is why i no longer take it. i was on triamterene, which seemed to help prevent my vertigo attacks some what. i was wondering if there are other diuretics out there that they prescribe for vertigo and do u know if some work better than others, i have seen a ton of dr's but still have no real diagnosis of menieres. i have done a lot of research though and menieres seems to be the right answer. any information you can give me would really help.
It is January 2013.  How is your Meniere's today??
Hi Chad!  My name is Crystal and in 2009 I was diagnosred with Meniere's by a doctor in Wichita, KS.  His exact words were "I THINK you have meniere's disease".  I now live in the Dallas area and after reading your post and talking to friends here, which are STRONGLY suggesting a second opinion, I am going to look up your doctor.  I found on the internet right after diagnosis, a website called meniere'sca.com and started taking supplements from iUSANA.  They are a bionutritional supplement and the nutrition goes straight to the cells in your body.  After being on them for a year my symptoms "went away" (I had fullness in right ear, light dizzy spells, one bad one where I could not move my head a milimeter without spinning out.  These were sporadic and I never had another bad spell till recently).  Anyway, symptoms returned and have gradually gotten worse although sometimes I can go several months with nothing but the tinnitus.  Recently I developed toe fungus on one toe and got the latest treatment which looked like clear nail polish and after a couple weeks of using it I was doing the spin that your eyes are moving a hundred miles an hour and there is a "force" that had I not been in the process of sitting down it would have THROWN me down.  As it was I flew backwards into the chair.  SCARY!!  That has only happened one time since then but I have felt like the dizzy spells seem to have more force now.  I am a believer and have cast my hope upon the Lord but I also believe that it is not wrong to want to live a normal life.  Therefore I am moving forward with the "second opinion".  There is just too much of this "I think" business going on today with doctors.  I am curious how you are faring today.  Could you comment again please?
On the above post the symptoms in parenthesis are what I started with not what was happening during the remission.  Sorry for the mixup.
My doctor recently diagnosed me with this.  It's just preliminary, and I'm going in for an MRI in a few days, followed by an ENT doctor and audiologist.  From my constant obsessing, I've determined that I do, in fact, have to agree with the apparent diagnosis, and I can relate all too well with much of what has been posted here.  Unfortunately, the self-help ideas generally given online are mostly worthless for me.  I never drink alcohol.  I never smoke.  My salt intake was never high to begin with, so I had no reasonable way to reduce it.  In fact, I tried eating more salt, experimentally, and I generally found that I felt better after having done so.  Still, I'm going to hold off on any further salt experiments until after I see the ENT (a title that makes me think of a creature from the Lord of the Rings trilogy).  Caffeine is one thing I can cut.  I'm a caffeine addict in the first degree, so I should probably do this anyway.  I'm taking this gradually, at first, but I'll try to eliminate it entirely, to see what happens.

Of course, because this problem fluctuates so unpredictably, no matter what I do, I could easily be "cured" after changing something about my lifestyle, and think that this did the trick, even if it would have cleared on its own.  Then it comes back, later, even if I continue with that new lifestyle.  Those of you who have this disease know exactly what I mean.  I'll reply again in a few weeks to keep tabs on my progress.

October, 2012: faint tinnitus and mild "sinus" headaches.  I thought nothing of it at the time.

December, 2012: That first Saturday was miserable, with impossibly loud roaring tinnitus in both ears, and a powerful headache.  Vertigo in the mornings knocked me off of my feet.  Most symptoms eased during the day and returned the next morning.

January, 2013: Symptoms finally began to subside, halfway through the month.  As the tinnitus subsided, I discovered that it left distorted hearing in its wake.

February, 2013: I thought I was going to get better on my own, but then it came back a little, so I made an appointment with a doctor.  By the time I saw the doctor, I felt fine.  A few days later, I went back to feeling as bad as ever.  This is very frustrating.  If I could stop just one symptom, it would be the tinnitus.  My second pick would be the hearing loss.
I have been a Meniere's sufferer for forty years.  That's right.  Forty years.  Last Monday I suffered a particularly bad attack and am still "off balance.'  I have bought many books on Meniere's, anxiety and depression.  Mercy, I just purchased yours, hoping to find something that may help.  Because I am older, I am starting to give up hope.  This last attack, after a particularly good week, has me depressed.  There is an important event coming up in a few months and I am terrified that I will have an attack before or during it.  I rarely leave my house anymore.  So discouraged and so fearful.

I read the intro to your book and I like the way your story unfolds.  After I read it, I will report back.  God help us all.
Hi  there,
Wow, 40 years is a long time! It is also a testimony tat Meniere is a
NON- Terminal illness. that is precisely why  we should not give up on our quest to live a vertigo-free life.

I do not know if you have the disease present in both ears like I do. It certainly makes it the most difficult challenge to an ENT to treat a bilateral menierian. It is like you are very limited in your options.

In any case, I have been bedridden for years, yes years! in a row. I certainly understand your fears, apprehension, anxiety and depression.
Meniere has no cure...yet but it can be successfully treated and tamed.

I am living now a life that it seemed out of reach years ago. Have faith.
I do not want to spoil your reading but do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions after you finish reading my story.

Fear not. Remember, stress is Meniere number one trigger!
all of your stories echo mine; that is one of  the reasons that prompted me to write my memoir. There is help available; unfortunately, not all specialists are fully knowledgeable on the subject
I will be waiting to hear from you again,
Blessings,
Mercy
I was having the roaring in my ear...very loudly and nothing was working. I lowered sodium, drank water all day, went to the gym, no alcohol, no caffeine...steroids didn't work...I was to I just have to deal with it pretty much by the ENT. Well then I went to a awesome chiropractor... After only 2 adjustments I am 80% better!!!!! He explained that if a bone is in the way(c1 or c2) then your ear can't drain. Hope this helps you!
So far, things are getting better.  The attacks are getting further apart and milder.  The only thing I'm doing differently is taking a diuretic (a potassium-preserving kind), but I'm not sure if that's the reason or not.  I had a debate with my ENT on the effectiveness of dietary sodium restriction.  "Wouldn't my body's homeostasis negate my efforts to regulate sodium intake?" I asked.  Because I now know for certain that my kidneys are healthy and working properly, I should be able to safely assume that if I eat more salt, then my body will expel the excess, and if I eat less salt, then my body would conserve it.  If my body could not self-regulate, then I would be a dead man if I didn't eat exactly the amount of salt I need each day.  Unless I go to extremes, my kidneys will fine-tune my sodium levels no matter what I eat.  That's just the way it works.  It takes a diuretic to change the target level set by the kidneys.  The ENT did not agree, but I think I stumped him.  Doctors probably get nervous dealing with people who have science degrees.

Whatever the case, I'm doing much better now than I was four months ago.  For all practical purposes, I'm back to normal, and my hearing is fully restored to normal levels.  The tinnitus is soft to nonexistent.  The headaches are absent most days.  The vertigo is virtually a thing of the past, except for the occasional stumble.  This, I can live with.
I have had this lousy disease for 27 years  Two surgeries.  The first one was just a money maker for the doc.  Second, they put that steroid in my ear.  It helped quite a bit for 14 years.  Rarely had an attack.  Past 6 months it came back with a vengeance.  Had an attack every 2-3 days.  Several times I had two in one day.  They were much more severe than I had ever had before.  Hearing was already gone in that ear.  I decided to have the labrynthectome surgery.  Had it on the 18th of April.  I was somewhat dizzy for about 4 days with an upset stomach.  Dizzy is gone but balance is still off.  I've been told it will take from 1-6 months to get the balance back to normal.  The good part is, no more attacks.  Finally...freedom
My husband got an epidural shot for low back pain and felt funny the rest of the day. He woke up with dizziness and vomiting and could not stand up with out getting sick.  He was diagnosised with Meniere's 2 yrs ago and this is the worst episode he has ever had! We ended up in the ER where he had to stay until he could keep something down.  What I find ironic is that he has swelling in his right foot, ankle and lower leg and the ear that fills up with fluid with the ringing in the ears is the right ear also.  He is a poster child for allergies and has been on Zyrtec D along with a fluid pill. I guess my question is would that shot he got for his back pain set off his Meniere's?  I am so tired of drs not listening to what we are telling them and just ride it off.  Any suggestions?
Gigi
thank you for your thoughts, I have only had it for 2 week
and trying to find my way
Good Morning,
lost My hearing while talking on the phone and within 5 min.
the hearing was gone in my right ear and 30 min later dizzy and
unstable very hard to walk think or do anything. Saw gp who  thought
it was meniere's and I have app. 31st for test and what ever.
My thought's are with you and good luck
           Ron
Stevens Point WI
A quick sum up without reading the whole post would be the words sensitivity to hearing.  I have had Meniere's for about six years now.  It started with attacks about every three weeks with debilitating dizziness and lasting two to three days with violent vomiting the first day, dry heaves the second, and weak on the third.   They came about once a month.  Now, six years later the attacks come about once every two to three months.  The dizziness lasts only a few hours and sometimes vomiting and sometimes just causing me to lay down for a few hours.   I have ringing in my ears including my left ear which is now deaf.  Sometimes so loud it drowns out sounds in my "good" ear, the right one.  I have 30% hearing remaining in my right ear.  I tried many different hearing aids and hearing devices (such as tv ears) and only a few months ago heard about Menieres also causing a sensitivity to sound.   That discovery hit home with me.   As my hearing loss is in the higher range, hearing devices amplified those sounds and often caused me to feel like a arrow was piercing through my head.  It seemed to me the hearing aids brought on attacks.   When I learned about the sensitivity to sound issue, a light went off.  I no longer wear any hearing assists, my attacks are less frequent and less violent.  I think everyone is different, but maybe this news will help someone like me.  
How do I order it from Canada.  Is there a website.  
   For me, this horrible disease is clearly related to low blood sugar.
I have had Meniere's Disease for about a year and a half (I was diagnosed by an ENT), and have found that what I eat (and don't eat) makes all the difference.
   I show a lot of the symptoms of hypoglycemia when I have a "dizzy' attack (paleness, sweating, & shaking, along with the vertigo and nausea), and eating protein and carbohydrates helps considerably. I also keep a few  Lifesavers in my pocket whenever I go anywhere, as well as my motion sickness pills.
   Like a lot of other Meniere's sufferers, I've had to give up salty foods. I,ve found out that spicy foods also trigger attacks, even if these foods aren't especially salty.
   I have to eat breakfast every morning (not a big one), even though I'm not
a breakfast person. Skipping meals is not an option.
   I am not saying this will work for you (I am not a health professional), but it is what has worked for me.
Good luck.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with meniere's disease when I was 25. Symptoms were vertigo attacks, dizziness, lightheadedness, sounds in my ear.
I managed to overcome it in 2 years time. Now I am 35 and I didn't have any attacks since then. I hope my story can be helpful  or maybe inspiring.

At first I felt very miserable when I heard the things my doctor told me. I felt depressed for 6 months. I was trying several things to get rid of that dizziness feeling but nothing was really helpful at that time.  I hate medicines, I never used them. After wrong attempts of recovery, I decided to get more involved with my dance classes which I was doing as a hobby back then. As I increased  my physical activity through dance classes, I felt much better gradually. I get less and less dizzy, had very few attacks which were completely gone after 2 years time. In the meantime I changed my career completely, I left my ideal of becoming an academic at the university. Instead I chose to become a dancer at a very late age.

Through time, I discovered that the problem was not related to  my ear actually.It was all about my tight  neck and my weak posture. As I improve my posture, learn how to ease those muscles in my neck, I never had any meniere related problems.Today I am perfectly healthy person which I owe to
my dancing practice and techniques that helped me to learn how to loosen my muscles and have an improved posture.

I strongly recommend meniere patients to check with a physiotherapist preferably  with a dancing background, and see a chiropractor who can realign their spine and other remedial methods such as pilates, feldenkrais practice, alexander technique etc. which can awaken the deep muscles never used before.

With some patience, listening to your body, what it really requires can change the whole picture. It definitely worked for me and hope it can work for others.

I was just diagnosed with Meniere's today.... what are my triggers?

-Going up escalators (Feel as if I'm gonna fall backwards)
-Heights (never been afraid of them, now terrified of them)
-Chairs without any upper back/neck support on them, especially at movie theaters or even little tiny theaters
-The next day after drinking alcohol, usually wine which I LOVE
-Certain tones, such as that of a Skype call I am making
-Stress

My symptoms are not classic symptoms though. I only have tinnitus in my right ear. I don't get dizzy, thankfully, but in some of the situations above I feel like I'm gonna fall or pass out. When this all started, it happened around the same time I was going to PT for a neck issue. During this timeframe, I had a crown placed on my tooth (now I have 2 crowns back to back on molars) as well as came down with a Hep B virus. I'm uncertain of what caused the meneire's, It also led to some weight loss somehow.

That being said, my doctor is starting me on Clonazepam. I'm not sure what this is going to do for me other than treat any anxiety or panic coming with this. I'm totally convinced this is not Menieres and something else causing the issue, which will hopefully subside within a year. I'm determined to make it stop/go away
    Dear Luckyman  
   Hello, I have been suffering with meniers for seven years now and have been thru every drug and nothing has worked.You do want to get off the clonzapan,,it is addicting,,and they won't tell you that.
    I recently found a company that has an herble remedy that does work.
I am a class a truck driver and heavey equipment operator that has not been able to work for over two years because of the meniers,,it  had got to the extent of not being able to drive and not being able to leave the house.The company's name is Tao of Herbs and there supplement works.
    You can contact them at tao of herbs.com and ask for clear eye and sharp ear this works,,,I regained some of my hearing on the right side and it took away most of my dizzieness,,,good luck to you,,,i hope this helps