Meniere's Disease - Open forum, what worked for you?
My mother was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about one year ago.  Her symptoms are primarily those associated with loss of hearing.  Ironically she was diagnosed and started experiencing the problems/symptoms shortly after having a crown put on one of her molars on the side with the Meniere's.  Has anyone heard of dental work making or creating Meniere's?  Do you think that it is possible it really isn't Meniere's and just something that happened with the dental work?  She has seen two different specialists and both just basically told her to avoid salt and caffenine.  Neither of these things have helped.  Any suggestions?  What has worked for you?  Thanks so much.
Very interesting.  I too notice Menieres at this time, actually it starts coming on strong in October will last for a few months, sporadically during that time, will normally show itself once or twice in the spring and then go away until the next fall.  I started having this about 5  years ago but the first two years I just experienced the roaring in my ears, it would last for about 2 weeks and then just go away.  The third year, in mid October I again got the roaring in my right ear (always the right, never left), it lasted about 2 weeks and then in the middle of the night I awoke with severe vertigo and then started throwing up immediately.  I didn't have it again until the 4th year in the fall and I had it 3 times (each time lasting approximately 2 weeks until it peaks..tinnitus for two weeks then severe vertigo and nausea and then hearing is fine)...This is my 5th year... I've had 4 attacks since October 1.  The first three I was able to get the meclizine and nausea med in immediately to combat it.. last night it came on so fast that as soon as I was able to get the first pill in I was running to the bathroom.  So who knows if the medicine even absorbed into my body... I probably threw it up.  Does anyone else get extremely hot and sweaty during the attack?  That seems so strange to me but it happens every time.  

It's such a strange disease, I know my husband is getting concerned.  I saw an ENT 3 years ago and I'm trying to find a doctor who KNOWS the disease, as I don't want to waste my time.  Anyone know a good Meniere's doc in Indianapolis?
The internet is wonderful to seek information and solutions to problems. I have always noticed that the majority of posts on self-help health forums are about people who have a problem (or why would they be posting, makes sense). However, much fewer people come back to let the group know if the problem has improved or resolved. This also makes sense because when a problem goes away, you want to just get on with your life and not think about it. But it's important to post success stories, they may lead people to solutions and give people hope.

I have posted previously on my issue, but will summarize it here, and how the problem has almost ENTIRELY GONE AWAY. So if you want a success story, read on.

I am a 48yr old male that had no history of hearing problems. In January of 2009, I started to notice that the sound of a telephone dial-tone (or when it was ringing), there was a slight distortion in my right ear only. The dial-tone tones sounded different and I thought it was my phone. But another phone did the same thing, and that is when I thought it may be my hearing.

This distortion continued to increase. It was always my right ear only. My hearing in my left ear was fine. Voices sounded robotic and lower in pitch, like a cartoon alien sound. It was always worse with higher frequencies, so female voices were especially bad. I also noticed that tones from my bad ear were lower than my right ear (I found later this is called diplacusis).

With this I also had a low-frequency rushing tinnitus and a fullness feeling in my ear. I saw multiple ENTs and otologists. I must admit the ENTs were worthless in helping me. They must be used to treating infections so I started to see otologists. They conducted hearing and an ECOG test, and I was diagnoised with "endolymphatic hydrops", which is a abnormal fluid pressure in the coclea, better known as "Meniere's". I had this without vertigo, which is sometimes called “atypical Meniers”. Further, since it was in one ear, it was called “unilateral atypical Meniers”. The symptoms Meriers are well documented: low-freq tinnitus, low-freq hearing loss, sound distortion (the worse part for me), and a pressure/fullness feeling.

The doctors told me only thing that could be done to slow (or stop) the progression was to give me inner-ear steroid injections. I had three of these, they hurt but I was willing to do anything to help this growing problem. Interesting, the Otologist seem to make a fortune on this treatment, they billed my insurance company about $3,000 for each treatment. I was also told to drastically reduce salt intake, which I did with little effect. I was also prescribed diuretics (Hydrochlorothiazide, also known as HCTZ), they helped some but not to any great extent.

To function I had to use an earplug in my right ear to block out the distortion. I used Etymotic Research ER20 ETY earplugs. They are inserted into the ear canal, and are barely noticeable. I wore one of these in my right ear every day, all day long. I was careful to always sit to the right of people so I could hear them through my good ear (left ear).

Then I started to lose my hearing, especially lower frequencies. My hearing continued to decline. This was actually a relief because the distorted sounds around me were less noticeable. I stopped using the earplug. You also get used to hearing the distortion (to some extent) so that helped. This is called habituation. At first the brain senses something is wrong and after time goes by, it realizes you are not being hurt by it, so the brain starts to somewhat block it out.

Most of the feeling of fullness and low frequency tinnitus went away, so I was left with two BIG primary issues: distortion and hearing loss. I was absolutely convinced sounds would always be distorted and I would never regain my hearing. I had accepted it.

This continued over the next 2.5 years since the onset of the problem. It never got better. Then in June of 2011 something amazing happened. I noticed the distortion was starting to go away! I was able to take out my earplug and over the next 2-3 WEEKs my ear recovered to the point the distortion is was almost entirely gone, the low frequency tinnitus and fullness were completely gone, and hearing tests showed I recovered the majority of my hearing.

So the question is, what changed? As it turns out, my recovery started the same time I stopped smoking. I used a 14mg nictone patch, later it was lowered to 7mg. Did this have something to do with my recovery? I do not know, but it seems consequential that at the SAME time I stopped smoking (and used the patches) my hearing recovered in several weeks. That was over 6 months ago, and my hearing remains almost normal.

I wanted to share this story with you, perhaps it will help someone or provide some hope. If you do not smoke, there is a chance you will have a spontaneous recovery anyway. If you do smoke, stop and take the patch, and see if it makes a difference.

If you want to contact me please email Greg at windsong7204 at yahoo *******.

Rgds, Greg

18 months ago is the first time I believe I had any symptoms of Meniere's.  I was in the hospital after having a C-section. I was given a Morphine drip to help with the pain.  I didn't like the way it made me feel because I felt like my head was cloudy and that my eyes wanted to roll in the back of my head and flutter so I asked for it to be removed.  Well, that didn't stop the odd feeling or eye fluttering.  It eventually got worse and I constantly felt tired, very tired all the time.(I know...I just had a baby so I should be tired, but this was an unusual tired.) When I was at home I noticed I always felt like the floor was at a slant and that I was going to walk into walls or I felt like I was going to collapse and fall as if my legs would just give out. I associated it with the epidural I was given and figured the symptoms would go away, but they didn't. I woke up one morning and had a low rumbling or roaring in my head and a full feeling in my right ear.  It took me a couple days to notice I actually had hearing loss in my right ear. I then went to a clinic open on Saturdays to see if I had an ear infection.  They flushed my ear many times for no reason, used a pick-type thing in my ear and then told me they didn't know what it was and gave me a prescription for an ear drop I couldn't use while breastfeeding. A few weeks later I woke up 2 days in a row extremely nauseous any time I moved so I couldn't get out of bed. I knew something had to be wrong so I looked my symptoms up on the internet and came up with Meniere's.  I went to my Dr and told him my symptoms and he said the same thing.  Well, I haven't actually been tested for it, but nothing else fits.  
Does anyone else get extremely tired from their symptoms? My head feels weird all the time as if gravity is trying to pull it down and my brain feels cluttered and confused a lot. My tinnitus comes and goes and I still have the eye fluttering/rolling problem on a regular basis. I'd just like some input from people who actually have the disease to know if what I'm feeling is truly Meniere's.
Oh, and on a side note, I did have a very painful stiff neck problem that started after the beginning symptoms where I could barely move my neck from side to side for a couple months.  It was very sore.  I am the person who always cracked my neck but I couldn't for many months after the pain went away. I don't know if this has any relevance.
Faith2012 My Faith Journey with Meniere’s: Just started steriod treatment which seems to be working.

HI I’m faith2012 . 12/31/11 I had my first attack with what we now know to be Meniere’s /vertigo. What a way to bring in the new year, I guess with a purpose.   It has been an incredible journey full of valleys and mountains.  After the attack I lost complete hearing in my right ear, extreme vertigo, dizziness , Tinnitus ect. Today I have some hearing in my right ear due to faith and some aggressive treatments involving steroid injections in to my ea given by my otolaryngologist . Also I am having less Tinnitus, less fullness in my ear and less sensitivity to sound. Great improvement for someone who loss total hearing in the right ear.  I want to share this journey not for you to duplicate by to extract a sense of hope.  When I was looking for my self I saw lots of  stuff through informative,  made me feel more depressed.  I feel god wanted me to write this before I went to work because possibly some one needed to read it.
1/25/12 –Yesterday was an awesome day. Today I was scheduled to have my follow up hearing test from my oncologist. He was to determine if the first two injections that I received impacted o my total deafness in my right ear and if we would continue to proceed with this aggressive course of treatment.  As usual  i prayed earlier in the day. I started  reading the book of John but in the chaos of the morning (getting kids to together for school and myself together for work and trying to do last minute ELA studying I could not find my bible.  I am a strong believer If god wants me to take a moment  to read the bible then if I get side tracked it is because other forces want me not to read it.  Any how, I eventually read a few verses in John.  I sat in the waiting room of my doctors office.  At this point I felt that I was having more hearing of sound but wasn’t sure because the Tinnitus seemed to increase a bit after the last injection and the hibiscus.  While the vertigo, dizziness had improved greatly since 12/31 when I would vomit for every three steps I took.  Any way in the audiology room I got very nervous because I could not hear the sounds in my left ear ( only to discover there was a problem with the wire in the head phone what a relief). Once that was clear she checked the left ear which was still testing perfect. Then a I got the test for the right ear I had to concentrate to drown out the fast pace of my hear t beating and the sounds of the Tinnitus. I was able to hear some sounds and what appears to be low muffed words.  When she told me there was improvement I was ecstatic.  I met with my doctor who himself told me he was absolutely amazed .  He showed me the comparison of the two test which revealed a dramatic increase of my new baseline and my current baseline. He was shocked to see the improvement in only two shots . He cautioned me that I still don’t have functional use of this ear and there is still a long way to go. He made a comment that he has not seen someone who truly believed like I had. He commented that many people say they believe but I truly believe( I didn’t ask him what he was referring to I just thanked him). He felt that we would continue tom with this course of treatment, but we would not continue the oral Prednisone 20.ge 3x day due to the possible damage it could do. I did ask if  the oral combined with the injection could also have impacted the result he said yes but we needed to discontinue the oral it because of the possible medical side effects.  So I will continue to take my self imposed medical regiment consisting of vitamins, ginko bolbla, calcium chews, ginger ect along side my injections.  As I have said I don’t know how l long this journey will be, but I know it will lead me to a better place that I was before. I am fully confident that I will be cured and I am confident that “my god”   is in the healing business and has worked though some remarkable people in my life.   I hope that you continue to follow me on my journey only wishing to inspire others to never loose faith.  I will post by full journal staring from day one. 5:15 am time to get ready for work and school  to everyone have a blessed day.   I will write more later

Faith 2012
  My daughter has menieres,she is only 26,has a very stressful job as a chef, been told to change her job, as working outside helps as not so many straight lines,that statement needed thinking about, but does make sense to her as everything seems to move.
At the moment she is off sick,doesnt know what to do for best, if she gives her job up how will she manage?
so do not feel alone ,let us know how you get on!
This is my first time on this site. I have suffered with meniers for a very long time and when it happens I am so sick that I can't function. The last time (about 3 weeks ago I ended up in emerg and of course the dr. thought that maybe I might have tried suicide. When I explained that I have meniers, I felt that they still did not believe me. It is a terrible condition to have and when I was diagnosed in Ottawa, the dr. told me that there was nothing that he could really do for me. Since than my thyroid has acted up and the symptoms are even worse, and I don't know how to deal with it. It helps to know that I am not the only one who goes through this, but do you get treated like I did, as though you were trying to do yourself in?
I was just diagnosed with meniere's today by my ENT. I am 39 and have already lost my low frequency hearing in both ears. Looking back now, pretty sure I have had this for at least 13 yrs. Being that it is a slow progression, I see where I shrugged off symptoms for weight gain/too much sugar, or just stress. A few yrs ago I woke up to get ready for work and my world had literally turned upside down. My poor kids watched me crawl around the house crying still trying to get dressed for worked. Went in full panick attack bc I thought I was stroking or something. Ambulance had to take me to the hospital(the embarrassment). That's when I was told I had vertigo. Gave me some meclazine which knocks me out and off I went. Those episodes last me about 3 days at a time. Happened pretty often then but slowed a lot. Still always having a balance problem. Now for the past year I have had constant fulness in my ears, ringing that makes me bang my fist to my head to try to shut it up, always dizzy, hearing loss, headaches everyday, and can't think straight at work. I feels like I have lost brain cells bc I use to be so quick witted and very attentive where as now I am always asking people to repeat themselves and apologizing for being a ditz! My ENT was straight forward with me. Told me I will continue to lose my hearing until it's gone and he will try to help with the symptoms for the side effects as best he can. I am terrified to have a procedure he called the round window profusion....anyone know of this? Putting a hole in my eardrums to shoot steroids in them is a scary thought to an already going deaf person. Any input will be greatly appreciated:) Everyone of your stories are so identical to mine it's almost eerie.
I had a root canal when I was in my early twenties I am forty one know I was sitting in the dentists chair and he told me to raise my hand if I felt any pain so I did and he gave me a shot right in the whole were he was doing the root canal and I got so dizzy he had to stop and raise the chair up until the dizzy spell went away it was the shot that gave me menieres it crystallized in my ear according to my ent and know there is nothing I can do about it but live with it for the rest of my life it *****......
PLEASE HELP ME!  I too have been tested for everything under the sun.  All of my test have come back negative.  In the meantime I have accrued high medical cost but have received NO answers and limited help.  I am tired, frustrated and on the brink of despair.  What is a HSV?  I am calling my PCP first thing on Monday morning to be tested.  Is the antivirus med Acyclovir an over the counter med?  If not, who prescribed the med?  What is HSV?
Please share with me more information about the treatment.  I am desperate :(
Thank you!  I am going to try everything you have suggested.

Take care,

Raquel
Hi Faith,

Thank you.  I have cried and cried and cried some more.  I have asked  God WHY more times than I probably should have.  My faith is forever waning and I feel like I am out here all alone.  Lately, because of this thing called Menieres, my faith has waned even more.  I feel like I am being punished.  Punished for what?  I could not begin to tell you.  It just seems that I must have done something to attract this type of suffering.  Then there is a piece of me deep down inside that believes and knows GOD can do ALL things.  Reading your message gave me HOPE and reinforced the fact that I need GOD and I need to spend more time with him.  Praising HIM.  Honoring HIM.  GLORIFYING HIM!  Honestly, I seem to devote less and less time to GOD each day, month, year.  Thank you for reminding me I need HIM in my life everyday.  Thank you for showing me what Faith and GOD can do . . . HEAL.

Thank you.

Raque
I was diagnosed with Menieres Disease a couple of months ago. I was experiencing severe pain in my ears and sudden attacks of  vertigo. My doctor told me there was no cure. I started going to a Chiropractor and after 3 visits a week for 2 weeks I no longer experience the dizziness or the severe attacks of vertigo, my ear has also started to drain. The best news is when I yawn I can feel my ear open up and pop. It would be worth a visit to a Chiropractor to see if they could help you. Good luck!
Try visiting a chiropractor I did and I no longer have any problems. Good luck!
Hi, I've been experiencing vertigo since May 16, 2012 each day. I started back in 1994 and lasted for months. Subsided for years and seemed like it returned during peak allergy times. I've had MRI's, CT's, trips to the emergency room, and everything else most of us sufferers had experienced without any relief in the end. Meniere's is almost always the answer when tinnitus is involved when receiving an explanation from an ENT. This year it almost got me killed on the highway. Out of no where it was a violent episode hitting a tractor trailer and down the embankment into the woods in February 2012. Then went away.  Came back in May and hasn't stopped. I trying the natural approach instead of all these prescription drugs. Watching what I eat and so on. Only been experiencing vertigo the first hour I wake up and in a vertical position lasting a few minutes to a couple of hours. Sometimes the Valium and the anti-vert or any motion sickness works and other times quells the vertigo temporarily. I've suffered the violent episodes one too many this year. I'm so use to it now I don't get the nausea and throwing up just wait for it to go away. You would think since millions of us suffer from this that someone out there like a "House" could figure out what can cure it. Stay strong and don't give up! You're not alone. I got depressed but now I'm just mad and frustrated. Keep trying don't give up on yourself !    
I have suffered from this dreaded disease for 40+ years!  It started when I went away to college which I found to be a most stressful situation.  Woke up one morning with severe vertigo and thus Meniere's entered my life.  However, it wasn't diagnosed until 8 years later when working in Montreal and it started to rear its ugly head.  I have had severe bouts throughout my life with the tinnitus, fullness and brain freeze and have minimal bouts of vertigo.  About 2 years ago, I stopped drinking alcohol completely and all symptoms were gone.  Until May of this year, it came back with a vengeance and more frequently than ever.  I stopped eating all packaged foods, I drink only water, eat fresh fruit and vegetables, exercise daily and still can't shake it.  On a diuretic which helped somewhat and now started a regime of lipoflavonoids.  I will be seeing an ENT later this month.  I do need hearing aids..lost hearing over the years.  Nothing is more frustrating that not being able to hear what people are saying and trying to explain why.  I am 63 and fear that this will not get better as I am now noticing by balance is off.   I am sorry that others are suffering from Meniere's and feel their pain.  I am testimony that it does not go away, unfortunately but I would love to know how to control it BEFORE it arrives!!  Has anyone had any luck with acupuncture?  
I had Meniere's (or that's what they called it anyways) and after a year of misery and much research, had all my mercury( they call them amalgam fillings) fillings taken out. I had five, and from everything I've read that's usually the cutoff where you start having real problems. The connection to dental work is the mercury, it builds up in your nervous system over time, and is a very potent neurotoxin. I still have hearing loss (which still seems to be improving) and ringing (which is very mild) but no dizziness left and the tiredness is gradually receding. I am still taking Chlorella to chelate the mercury out of my system. Anyone who has Meniere's and more than five amalgam fillings should get them taken out. It's worth a shot. But do it the right way, with a mercury free dentist, just search the internet, and then talk to them first.
Hi Linda,

I am 27 and was diagnosed with Menieres 6 years ago. I have been to every ear nose and throat specialist in the area, had MRI's and been on a variety of medications. Nothing worked. Within the past 3 years I have been getting acupuncture which has severely reduced my vertigo attacks which I feel are brought on when I am stressed. It took about a year to manage but I am now completely off any medication and only get minor vertigo clusters.
I was diagnosed with Meniere's last year at Mayo but mine started in 2008. This year I have notice I can stop the noise in my year by putting pressure right in front of my ear. I have told the Drs I think what I am hearing is my own blood rushing thru veins. I have noticed while lying down it can increase depending on how I am positioned and it can change when i move my head a certain way.  No one will listen.
Hello. I was diagnosed with Menieres 7 years ago... had every simptom people are talking about in every forum on the net... untill I started eating (being) VEGAN! It has been now over 2 years that i didnt have any problems. But those 5 years before were like hell. I hope it will never come back. Only medication I am still taking is Vestibo 8mg, just in any case. But I really think that the Vegan lifestyle (diet) helped me in my case... You all shoud try it, have nothing to loose except the disease. Hope this will help someone.
Take care!
Thank you so much for your encouraging post, i am all the better from reading it.
What sort of technique did your chiropractor use on you.  I have been to one who used a NUCCA technique on me and my symptoms improved and even disappeared for 1 year  2 months then slowly returned.  I am curious to know if you are still meneire's free after all these years.
Same thing happened to me. So disappointing :(
hi, i use to be on a diuretic for my vertigo, i have no insurance anymore which is why i no longer take it. i was on triamterene, which seemed to help prevent my vertigo attacks some what. i was wondering if there are other diuretics out there that they prescribe for vertigo and do u know if some work better than others, i have seen a ton of dr's but still have no real diagnosis of menieres. i have done a lot of research though and menieres seems to be the right answer. any information you can give me would really help.
It is January 2013.  How is your Meniere's today??
Hi Chad!  My name is Crystal and in 2009 I was diagnosred with Meniere's by a doctor in Wichita, KS.  His exact words were "I THINK you have meniere's disease".  I now live in the Dallas area and after reading your post and talking to friends here, which are STRONGLY suggesting a second opinion, I am going to look up your doctor.  I found on the internet right after diagnosis, a website called meniere'sca.com and started taking supplements from iUSANA.  They are a bionutritional supplement and the nutrition goes straight to the cells in your body.  After being on them for a year my symptoms "went away" (I had fullness in right ear, light dizzy spells, one bad one where I could not move my head a milimeter without spinning out.  These were sporadic and I never had another bad spell till recently).  Anyway, symptoms returned and have gradually gotten worse although sometimes I can go several months with nothing but the tinnitus.  Recently I developed toe fungus on one toe and got the latest treatment which looked like clear nail polish and after a couple weeks of using it I was doing the spin that your eyes are moving a hundred miles an hour and there is a "force" that had I not been in the process of sitting down it would have THROWN me down.  As it was I flew backwards into the chair.  SCARY!!  That has only happened one time since then but I have felt like the dizzy spells seem to have more force now.  I am a believer and have cast my hope upon the Lord but I also believe that it is not wrong to want to live a normal life.  Therefore I am moving forward with the "second opinion".  There is just too much of this "I think" business going on today with doctors.  I am curious how you are faring today.  Could you comment again please?
On the above post the symptoms in parenthesis are what I started with not what was happening during the remission.  Sorry for the mixup.
My doctor recently diagnosed me with this.  It's just preliminary, and I'm going in for an MRI in a few days, followed by an ENT doctor and audiologist.  From my constant obsessing, I've determined that I do, in fact, have to agree with the apparent diagnosis, and I can relate all too well with much of what has been posted here.  Unfortunately, the self-help ideas generally given online are mostly worthless for me.  I never drink alcohol.  I never smoke.  My salt intake was never high to begin with, so I had no reasonable way to reduce it.  In fact, I tried eating more salt, experimentally, and I generally found that I felt better after having done so.  Still, I'm going to hold off on any further salt experiments until after I see the ENT (a title that makes me think of a creature from the Lord of the Rings trilogy).  Caffeine is one thing I can cut.  I'm a caffeine addict in the first degree, so I should probably do this anyway.  I'm taking this gradually, at first, but I'll try to eliminate it entirely, to see what happens.

Of course, because this problem fluctuates so unpredictably, no matter what I do, I could easily be "cured" after changing something about my lifestyle, and think that this did the trick, even if it would have cleared on its own.  Then it comes back, later, even if I continue with that new lifestyle.  Those of you who have this disease know exactly what I mean.  I'll reply again in a few weeks to keep tabs on my progress.

October, 2012: faint tinnitus and mild "sinus" headaches.  I thought nothing of it at the time.

December, 2012: That first Saturday was miserable, with impossibly loud roaring tinnitus in both ears, and a powerful headache.  Vertigo in the mornings knocked me off of my feet.  Most symptoms eased during the day and returned the next morning.

January, 2013: Symptoms finally began to subside, halfway through the month.  As the tinnitus subsided, I discovered that it left distorted hearing in its wake.

February, 2013: I thought I was going to get better on my own, but then it came back a little, so I made an appointment with a doctor.  By the time I saw the doctor, I felt fine.  A few days later, I went back to feeling as bad as ever.  This is very frustrating.  If I could stop just one symptom, it would be the tinnitus.  My second pick would be the hearing loss.
I have been a Meniere's sufferer for forty years.  That's right.  Forty years.  Last Monday I suffered a particularly bad attack and am still "off balance.'  I have bought many books on Meniere's, anxiety and depression.  Mercy, I just purchased yours, hoping to find something that may help.  Because I am older, I am starting to give up hope.  This last attack, after a particularly good week, has me depressed.  There is an important event coming up in a few months and I am terrified that I will have an attack before or during it.  I rarely leave my house anymore.  So discouraged and so fearful.

I read the intro to your book and I like the way your story unfolds.  After I read it, I will report back.  God help us all.
Hi  there,
Wow, 40 years is a long time! It is also a testimony tat Meniere is a
NON- Terminal illness. that is precisely why  we should not give up on our quest to live a vertigo-free life.

I do not know if you have the disease present in both ears like I do. It certainly makes it the most difficult challenge to an ENT to treat a bilateral menierian. It is like you are very limited in your options.

In any case, I have been bedridden for years, yes years! in a row. I certainly understand your fears, apprehension, anxiety and depression.
Meniere has no cure...yet but it can be successfully treated and tamed.

I am living now a life that it seemed out of reach years ago. Have faith.
I do not want to spoil your reading but do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions after you finish reading my story.

Fear not. Remember, stress is Meniere number one trigger!
all of your stories echo mine; that is one of  the reasons that prompted me to write my memoir. There is help available; unfortunately, not all specialists are fully knowledgeable on the subject
I will be waiting to hear from you again,
Blessings,
Mercy
I was having the roaring in my ear...very loudly and nothing was working. I lowered sodium, drank water all day, went to the gym, no alcohol, no caffeine...steroids didn't work...I was to I just have to deal with it pretty much by the ENT. Well then I went to a awesome chiropractor... After only 2 adjustments I am 80% better!!!!! He explained that if a bone is in the way(c1 or c2) then your ear can't drain. Hope this helps you!
Are you still getting your C1 adjusted? Are you still doing good?
So far, things are getting better.  The attacks are getting further apart and milder.  The only thing I'm doing differently is taking a diuretic (a potassium-preserving kind), but I'm not sure if that's the reason or not.  I had a debate with my ENT on the effectiveness of dietary sodium restriction.  "Wouldn't my body's homeostasis negate my efforts to regulate sodium intake?" I asked.  Because I now know for certain that my kidneys are healthy and working properly, I should be able to safely assume that if I eat more salt, then my body will expel the excess, and if I eat less salt, then my body would conserve it.  If my body could not self-regulate, then I would be a dead man if I didn't eat exactly the amount of salt I need each day.  Unless I go to extremes, my kidneys will fine-tune my sodium levels no matter what I eat.  That's just the way it works.  It takes a diuretic to change the target level set by the kidneys.  The ENT did not agree, but I think I stumped him.  Doctors probably get nervous dealing with people who have science degrees.

Whatever the case, I'm doing much better now than I was four months ago.  For all practical purposes, I'm back to normal, and my hearing is fully restored to normal levels.  The tinnitus is soft to nonexistent.  The headaches are absent most days.  The vertigo is virtually a thing of the past, except for the occasional stumble.  This, I can live with.
I have had this lousy disease for 27 years  Two surgeries.  The first one was just a money maker for the doc.  Second, they put that steroid in my ear.  It helped quite a bit for 14 years.  Rarely had an attack.  Past 6 months it came back with a vengeance.  Had an attack every 2-3 days.  Several times I had two in one day.  They were much more severe than I had ever had before.  Hearing was already gone in that ear.  I decided to have the labrynthectome surgery.  Had it on the 18th of April.  I was somewhat dizzy for about 4 days with an upset stomach.  Dizzy is gone but balance is still off.  I've been told it will take from 1-6 months to get the balance back to normal.  The good part is, no more attacks.  Finally...freedom
My husband got an epidural shot for low back pain and felt funny the rest of the day. He woke up with dizziness and vomiting and could not stand up with out getting sick.  He was diagnosised with Meniere's 2 yrs ago and this is the worst episode he has ever had! We ended up in the ER where he had to stay until he could keep something down.  What I find ironic is that he has swelling in his right foot, ankle and lower leg and the ear that fills up with fluid with the ringing in the ears is the right ear also.  He is a poster child for allergies and has been on Zyrtec D along with a fluid pill. I guess my question is would that shot he got for his back pain set off his Meniere's?  I am so tired of drs not listening to what we are telling them and just ride it off.  Any suggestions?
Gigi
thank you for your thoughts, I have only had it for 2 week
and trying to find my way
Good Morning,
lost My hearing while talking on the phone and within 5 min.
the hearing was gone in my right ear and 30 min later dizzy and
unstable very hard to walk think or do anything. Saw gp who  thought
it was meniere's and I have app. 31st for test and what ever.
My thought's are with you and good luck
           Ron
Stevens Point WI
A quick sum up without reading the whole post would be the words sensitivity to hearing.  I have had Meniere's for about six years now.  It started with attacks about every three weeks with debilitating dizziness and lasting two to three days with violent vomiting the first day, dry heaves the second, and weak on the third.   They came about once a month.  Now, six years later the attacks come about once every two to three months.  The dizziness lasts only a few hours and sometimes vomiting and sometimes just causing me to lay down for a few hours.   I have ringing in my ears including my left ear which is now deaf.  Sometimes so loud it drowns out sounds in my "good" ear, the right one.  I have 30% hearing remaining in my right ear.  I tried many different hearing aids and hearing devices (such as tv ears) and only a few months ago heard about Menieres also causing a sensitivity to sound.   That discovery hit home with me.   As my hearing loss is in the higher range, hearing devices amplified those sounds and often caused me to feel like a arrow was piercing through my head.  It seemed to me the hearing aids brought on attacks.   When I learned about the sensitivity to sound issue, a light went off.  I no longer wear any hearing assists, my attacks are less frequent and less violent.  I think everyone is different, but maybe this news will help someone like me.  
How do I order it from Canada.  Is there a website.  
   For me, this horrible disease is clearly related to low blood sugar.
I have had Meniere's Disease for about a year and a half (I was diagnosed by an ENT), and have found that what I eat (and don't eat) makes all the difference.
   I show a lot of the symptoms of hypoglycemia when I have a "dizzy' attack (paleness, sweating, & shaking, along with the vertigo and nausea), and eating protein and carbohydrates helps considerably. I also keep a few  Lifesavers in my pocket whenever I go anywhere, as well as my motion sickness pills.
   Like a lot of other Meniere's sufferers, I've had to give up salty foods. I,ve found out that spicy foods also trigger attacks, even if these foods aren't especially salty.
   I have to eat breakfast every morning (not a big one), even though I'm not
a breakfast person. Skipping meals is not an option.
   I am not saying this will work for you (I am not a health professional), but it is what has worked for me.
Good luck.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with meniere's disease when I was 25. Symptoms were vertigo attacks, dizziness, lightheadedness, sounds in my ear.
I managed to overcome it in 2 years time. Now I am 35 and I didn't have any attacks since then. I hope my story can be helpful  or maybe inspiring.

At first I felt very miserable when I heard the things my doctor told me. I felt depressed for 6 months. I was trying several things to get rid of that dizziness feeling but nothing was really helpful at that time.  I hate medicines, I never used them. After wrong attempts of recovery, I decided to get more involved with my dance classes which I was doing as a hobby back then. As I increased  my physical activity through dance classes, I felt much better gradually. I get less and less dizzy, had very few attacks which were completely gone after 2 years time. In the meantime I changed my career completely, I left my ideal of becoming an academic at the university. Instead I chose to become a dancer at a very late age.

Through time, I discovered that the problem was not related to  my ear actually.It was all about my tight  neck and my weak posture. As I improve my posture, learn how to ease those muscles in my neck, I never had any meniere related problems.Today I am perfectly healthy person which I owe to
my dancing practice and techniques that helped me to learn how to loosen my muscles and have an improved posture.

I strongly recommend meniere patients to check with a physiotherapist preferably  with a dancing background, and see a chiropractor who can realign their spine and other remedial methods such as pilates, feldenkrais practice, alexander technique etc. which can awaken the deep muscles never used before.

With some patience, listening to your body, what it really requires can change the whole picture. It definitely worked for me and hope it can work for others.

I was just diagnosed with Meniere's today.... what are my triggers?

-Going up escalators (Feel as if I'm gonna fall backwards)
-Heights (never been afraid of them, now terrified of them)
-Chairs without any upper back/neck support on them, especially at movie theaters or even little tiny theaters
-The next day after drinking alcohol, usually wine which I LOVE
-Certain tones, such as that of a Skype call I am making
-Stress

My symptoms are not classic symptoms though. I only have tinnitus in my right ear. I don't get dizzy, thankfully, but in some of the situations above I feel like I'm gonna fall or pass out. When this all started, it happened around the same time I was going to PT for a neck issue. During this timeframe, I had a crown placed on my tooth (now I have 2 crowns back to back on molars) as well as came down with a Hep B virus. I'm uncertain of what caused the meneire's, It also led to some weight loss somehow.

That being said, my doctor is starting me on Clonazepam. I'm not sure what this is going to do for me other than treat any anxiety or panic coming with this. I'm totally convinced this is not Menieres and something else causing the issue, which will hopefully subside within a year. I'm determined to make it stop/go away
    Dear Luckyman  
   Hello, I have been suffering with meniers for seven years now and have been thru every drug and nothing has worked.You do want to get off the clonzapan,,it is addicting,,and they won't tell you that.
    I recently found a company that has an herble remedy that does work.
I am a class a truck driver and heavey equipment operator that has not been able to work for over two years because of the meniers,,it  had got to the extent of not being able to drive and not being able to leave the house.The company's name is Tao of Herbs and there supplement works.
    You can contact them at tao of herbs.com and ask for clear eye and sharp ear this works,,,I regained some of my hearing on the right side and it took away most of my dizzieness,,,good luck to you,,,i hope this helps
Ironic that mention was made of dental work preceding Meniere's symptoms, as I had a similar experience.  I had an unusually long dental session, and it coincided with exacerbation of hearing and balance problems on that side of my face.  Suddenly I was struck with bouts of high pitched VERY LOUD hums that were maddening, and dizziness that made me vomit uncontrollably.  I had had some hearing disturbances for decades with infrequent bouts of dizziness, but nothing like this, and frequent sinus infections left me with air cell disease.  After several ER visits and seeing several ENT specialists, the umbrella term of Meniere's was made.  I call this an umbrella term because I truly believe like in many other diseases, symptoms mimic.  Long story short, the usual treatment approach of diuretics, nasal sprays, sleeping sitting up, and other things either had no effect, or made my symptoms worse.  Indeed, I went through a month of hell after a hearing test, and I refuse to ever have one again.  I have environment allergies, but am unable to undergo shots because of drugs I am prescribed.  I was told by the "professionals" that my only recourse was what I considered barbaric surgeries and procedures.  I am very in touch with my body, and something inside me kept saying there was more to this.  Anything I said to the doctors fell on deaf ears (pardon the pun) as once they have you slotted in a diagnosis, there is little that can be done on the patient's end to sway them.  I took control, and found that Aspartame could trigger symptoms.  It is important to research ALL foods and drink, as milk contains it just as much as soda.  I switched my nasal spray to Dymista from Fluticasone, stopped taking the diuretics unless I felt it was warranted, and then took only one dose, took allergy medication when needed (but nothing "drying" that could cause mucous plugs), and on the advice of the first ENT I saw who practiced what he preached, started a daily regimen of CoQ10 100mg.  No more than 100mg per day should be taken.  Several times a week I supplemented with Vitamin B time release, and continued my twice daily fish oil, along with a once a week calcium supplement.  I learned from my primary doctor that I was Vitamin D3 deficient, and began a 50,000IU regimen once a week.  Knowing the jaw bone is influential in the inner ear function, I learned I was suffering from bone loss in my teeth and jaw.  Vitamin D enables the body to process calcium, and with my D deficiency, I suspected the middle and inner ear bones might very well be compromised.  I cut back on caffeine, started eating responsibly (to lose weight and stem other health problems), and made sure not to expose that ear to loud noise, or cold drafts.  I know many people have relied on a course of antibiotics, but this can be dangerous.  Antibiotics work by increasing one kind of bacteria flora to attack another, and excessive use of antibiotics will cause you more problems than you have now.   After almost 6 months, I started to feel something going on in my ear.  It felt as if a blob was inside that was trying to move.  I started being able to blow wads of bloody mucous from that nostril.  The tinnitus was different, and the constant pulsations of my own heartbeat which I went through for over two years non-stop disappeared.  Much of my hearing in that ear returned.  I still heard some hissing sounds, and sometimes I would get a high pitched whine, but it wasn't very loud, and usually occurred while lying down, dissipating soon after getting up.  So far, I haven't had a vertigo episode in 7 months, when before the longest I could go was 1.  My constant fear of becoming dizzy in public, or behind the wheel of a car subsided greatly because I no longer was walking around with that feeling of ear fullness, and unsteady gate.  If this is as good as it will ever get, I am thrilled.  Will the debilitating symptoms return?  I don't know, but the way I see it, if I could gain control over this when doctors failed, I'm ahead of the game.  My best advice to other sufferers is to research, experiment, and don't buy into the diagnosis, or that your only hope is what doctors tell you.  Like all illnesses, money is made in treatment, not cures, and the last thing a doctor wants to do is admit that you can succeed where they can't, especially if it's a holistic approach.  My ENT (a big shot at Vanderbilt Hospital in Tennessee) refuses to believe that my problem could be contributed by nerve damage, a reversing cervical spine, spinal arthritis or herniated discs, or even the toxicity left by chemotherapy years earlier, all conditions confirmed by previous doctors and tests.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, challenge, and seek multiple resources.  
Anchorage dentist suggest you the very good solutions for all these problems
I had Meniere's diagnosed two years ago, no fever, no infection, etc.  After reading this it does actually correlate to having 3 half crowns placed on my molars.  It took a while for the dizzy spells to come up.

A few months after being diagnosed i took my family on a camping trip.  Surely, i got a dizzy spell and ended up falling on a Yucca Tree (not pleasant at all).  I found a local doctor which gave me 2wks of antibioatic treatment since i had many punctures on my skin and some leaves had to be surgically removed.  The dose was: 1000mg three times a day of amoxicilin.  

On the 2nd day of taking the amoxicylin, the fullness of the ears back of my head was gone.  It was very relieving.  I guess i had an inner ear infection all this time but didn't manifest in any bloodwork or fever.  

I have found the CURE for Meniere's Disease because #1: my dear niece (her name is Dana who is my relative) had the problem and she is now cured; #2: I found the cure through an understanding of salt dynamics because of my research into geology. The cure involves just drinking extra glasses of water from the time you first eat any salty food and for the next 2 to 4 hours. This is because water DILUTES the dissolved concentrated salt solution in your body as it travels up into your inner ear system (called the endolymph fluid). Without the consumption of extra water, then the endolymph fluid expands in your inner ear to create the dizziness & imbalance which is called Meniere's Disease. And DO NOT take a water pill because it will not help Meniere's Disease since the water pill does not "kick in" the water needed to dilute the salt in your inner ear. Also, you can eat the saltiest food on earth BUT you have to drink the extra water in PROPORTION to the amount of salt-amount consumed in your meal or snack.Thus, the rule of thumb is: you can always "over-drink the excess water" but you can "never under-drink the extra water".

In closing, I'm proud to say that I have cured my poor niece (my relative) of this disabling,biomedical malfunction, and I am sure my advice will cure you. I just want to add that the reason the doctors have not found a cure yet is because they don't have a knowledge of salt dynamics from geological reseearch, but I DO. Hence, everybody should spread this same good newssssss, so that anybody with Meniere's Disease can learn how to defeat Meniere's Disease. Sincerely, Michael I.
After suffering a lot for years I saw a video in youtube on menieres cure I did the exercise twice with the knuckles rub making circles around the base of craneum staring from the back of ears to the middle point pressing a bit after finish applied a hot pad covered with clot and keep it for 10 minutes ,it worked for me Good luck
I have Meniere since 2009 and I suffer a lot ,one day  I saw a video in youtube about some ecxercise I did twice and since then never another attack ,it is about making some circular rubbing and a bit of pressing on the base of head staring from the back of eares to the middle point when finish applied a hot pad covered with clot ,for 10 minutes ,it was amazin. good luck
Hi...thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to give them a try. I have ringing and pressure all the time with bouts of vertigo (about 3x's a years.
Look up an UPPER CERVICAL CHIROPRACTOR  that adjusts your first vertebra (C1). Read this: http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/atlas-adjustments-alleviate-menieres-disease/
Make sure you choose a good doc. God bless and heal you :)
I was doing atlas adjustments and they worked great, all vertigo stopped and I felt normal again. However after about 4 months my adjustments began holding less and less, so instead of visiting the Chiro less I was having to go more and more often. I have no idea why this would happen when everything was going great for the first few months. At this point my atlas goes back out within hours of being adjusted. We took new x-rays and recalculated the adjustments, but it didnt help. Any thoughts?
Hey I was just diagnosed with Menieres, after 5yrs of ringing,ear feeling full,headaches severe and I need help help help I can't work I puke when I get the dizzy's as I call them
DO U STILL GET SICK OR FOUND OUT YIUR PROBLEMS