Ear, Nose & Throat Community
My 2 year is in need of help!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

My 2 year is in need of help!!

5414200?1267142304
My 2 1/2 year daughter has had 4 ear surgeries since Jan 2009. Jan 2009 she had a simple ear tube surgery because of some minor ear infections. Immediately after, she bled out of the ear for 2 weeks, followed by major discharge. In March 2009 she had the tubes removed. Still, after that her ears continued to drain excessively with bloody mucus. She has had every medication that could possibly treat her, oral, nasal, and ear antibiotics (over 20 different Rx). July 2009, she had the holes in her ears patched up and adenoids (adenoids) removed. Still, discharge and infections. In Jan 2010, she had another surgery to drain her sinuses and had multiple biopsies throughout her nasal and ear cavity. Still, she has continued drainage since this surgery, even with 4 different antibiotics. She has had 2 CT scans, allergy tests, probe testing in stomach, and the only thing they have found are different bacteria infections and Staph. She was treated with all the anitibiotics possible. I have taken her to 3 different ENT's, and the last ENT did the last 2 surgeries and she was highly recommended and well known in the state of Florida. I dont know what else to do. I need help of where to go and am willing to travel anywhere because I want her better. She is in pain all the time and doesn't even want me to touch her ears anymore. I am so worried about the pain and future of her hearing. Please, I need help!! This is how her ears always look and there is another picture of her right ear in my album.

Thank you for anyone who can help my daughter!!
I am so sorry your daughter has to go through this!  You mentioned all the testing that she went through.  I assume the bacterial infections and staph were found in the ear?
All I can say is maybe you need to figure out why she had ear infections in the first place.  Cow's milk is the #1 cause of ear infections in kids.  Maybe check with your pediatrician about getting milk completely out of her diet for about two months and see if this helps.  

Did they test for fungal or yeast infections in her ears? Antibiotics won't help that.  The foods we eat, if we cannot digest them properly or if we are allergic to them, can cause inflammation and seem to provide "food" for the little organisms to grow.  And the ears are a hot spot for problems.  

Now, obviously, the surgery did something in there.  Who knows what?  But taking food out of the diet to alleviate inflammation might help things heal faster.  The food that bothers me the most in my ears, along with milk, is gluten (a protein in wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats).   When I stop eating foods from both of these food groups, my ears are a happy place!!!!  If you would like to try the diet approach, I'll check this post and will help you with suggestions.  

Good luck!  I'll say a prayer for her.
Yes, we already have taken her off cow's milk and is now strickly on soy milk. She has been for a while now.
The doctor has found several infections from biopsies and swab tests and included ALL the types you mentioned; staph, MRSA, Fungal, yeast, bacterial, etc.

She has had allergy tests done and came back negative on everything. I just don't know what to do anymore. Her Dr now wants to admit her in the hospital long term and give her IV antibiotics. I don't know if I can put her through something like this.

Thank you for your advice!
I assume she's off of cheese and anything else that came from milk.  The other food that's a problem, like I said above is gluten - this is not an allergy, but a food intolerance.
This is the main culprit in my family.  Look it up on-line and see what it's about.  Some people have celiac disease (autoimmune reaction when gluten is eaten) and some people just have gluten intolerance.  Mention the gluten problem to the docs.  This poor little thing!  

The good thing is she's only 2 - she'll forget all of this eventually.  And if they put her in the hospital, she'll end up being seen by several doctors - more input and hopefully some answers to the problem.