Ear, Nose & Throat Community
One ear Produces Wax but not the other ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hello everyone.  

I'v always had problems with my ears since i was born producing to much ear wax, when i was little i had to do to the doctor's and get them flushed out and the words of my mom " tons came outa my ear" off and on throughout the years i had earwax build up's that didnt cause many problems and were fixed by over the counter ear drop's or warm water.  

Now 2 years ago i had a major problem in my left ear, im not sure what it was maybe a ear infection or a blocked ear full of wax but my whole face and ear were swollen and hurt so bad i littery cried sometimes and i was 19 years old.  Being dirt poor and not able to afford Insurance or to even go to doctor for simple checkup's i decited to tough it out even tho it was so bad i was dizzy and sleeping for like 18 hours a day for a week.   The problem eventually went away and my hearing came back but i noticed that i have lost a little bit of hearing in that ear.  I have problems hearing faint sounds for example i have a fish tank in my room and when i sleep at nite if i am laying on my left side with my left ear on the pillow i can hear the bubble's in the tank in my right ear just fine, when i switch positions i can barely or not even hear the bubble's in the left.  

I can hear normal things like people talking me typing or other things ect i dont really notice this unless i try to hear the faintest sounds.  

Anyway to get to the point my right ear is fine and still produces tons of wax like usuall i littery have to use like 10 q-tips sometimes to get it all out and lemme tell you there always full.   My left ear however is wet, the wax is white-yellow if you even call it wax its more of a liquid doesnt drain or anything doesnt cause me any problems besides when i take a shower water gets in easily.  

Why did my left ear stop producing wax, or at least the normal brownish thick wax it used to that my right ear still has ?