Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Painful ear infection!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Painful ear infection!

I have had a on & off fungal ear infection for over a year now, and it is now worse than it's ever been. The whole right side of my face is swollen, including my lymph nodes, causing me excruciating pain and inability to chew because of jaw soreness. I feel a tremendous amount of pressure inside my ear and something feels stuck in my canal. It's my fourth time to the doctor, & my second time to a  ENT specialist. I've tried antibiotics, various anti fungal drops, topical cream, steroids, & antihistamine. My ear no longer drains fluid & is quite dry. I'm a 17 year old girl and I've been taking hydrocodone three times a day the past two days for the unbearable pain, I'm losing a lot of hope. Could there be a reason this infection keeps reoccurring? And is there anything I can do to stop inflamation (inflammation), relieve pressure, ect?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As mentioned by you your symptoms of ear pain could be due to a fungal infection of the external ear known as Otomycosis. Otomycosis most often occurs when too much water gets in the ear canal such as after swimming or showering in chlorinated water. It is also called Swimmer's ear. Antifungal agents and analgesics are prescribed for therapy. Avoid swimming, or water getting into the ear until the fungal infection is fully eradicated. But your symptoms could also be due to a middle ear infection. Have yourself evaluated for the same.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.