Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Partial deafness after blowing nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Partial deafness after blowing nose

I was blowing my nose yesterday (not even very hard), then suddenly felt that sound coming to my right ear sounded muffled and soft. The same happened to my left ear but it wasn't as bad. Yesterdays estimated hearing percentage (100% was the normal) Left ear= 70%  Right ear= 50%. I also noticed that it hurts to press on the little flaps on the ears, which you press against the hearing canal and if you press them inward it builds up pressure inside the ear hurting me slightly. There is no mucus/blood or any other liquids coming out from the ear. This mornings hearing was slightly better but I'm still concerned about my ears, can someone please help me as I'm really scared of this as I searched the internet and found that some people are saying that this is completely normal and will pass in a few days, to people saying that you have damaged your eardrum O.O and then (The site was a professional medical site) which said that "blowing your nose too hard may result in damage to your brain or something and can then lead to mental retardation and death"... I could not get any sleep. Could someone please tell me what is going on?! I thank every reply from deepest of my heart. (I think that phrase has messed up because I can't think properly because of the flu)
PS: I actually have flu, the last time I had it was last year, so I'm guessing I might actually have swine flu. It wasn't that bad, the temperature reached 38.4 Celsius and then fell. I haven't had any antibiotics (TamiFlu) but only had a couple of those sachet things that you put in hot water (Which do work very well). I ask again, please help me. Thank you.