Persistent afternoon/night time sore throat
Hi!

About 4 weeks ago, I came down with what was most likely strep throat. I had a low-grade fever, loads of throat pain, lethargy, etc. I was prescribed amoxicillin and dutifully completely the whole 7-day cycle of it. I felt much better, except that after a few days, my throat started to hurt again. Now, my throat has been sore for about 2.5 weeks. It's better than it was at first, and the pain has localized to my right side of my upper throat and the back of my tongue. I can swallow and eat fine, but I do notice an extra effort when I swallow. I usually wake up feeling okay or little pain, and then it starts around 4:00 in the afternoon. I've been taking ibuprofen, which helps but doesn't eliminate the pain. I have been to a doctor since the pain came back. She didn't seem to see anything in my throat and suspected I just got unlucky and caught a virus on the heels of my strep. It seems that now it's been too long for a virus...

I am 29, HIV negative (JUST tested a few weeks ago), and generally very healthy! I do have asthma and am supposed to take advair, though I can't afford the inhalers so I haven't been recently. I do take Ventolin probably 5 times a week. I am not on any other medications, unless you count the occassional multivitamin.

I read in an old post on this forum that this kind of thing could possibly be a sort of yeast infection in my throat, so I went out and bought a bunch of probiotic yogurt and soymilk in hopes that will help. Any advice/help would be appreciated. I would love to avoid a THIRD trip to the doctor if possible (though if I must, I must).

Thanks in advance for any help!