Persistent throat clearing
My boyfriend is 28 years old has a history of mild asthma (has been asymptomatic for many years), ectopic heart beats (prescribed low doseof metoprolol daily and vit D as he is deficient), mild hypertension (monitoring only-no treatment at present) and is a smoker. Within the last four months he has been troubled by a persistent feeling of having a lump or mucus to clear in his throat. This sensation is there most of the time but worsens in the evening and night.....to the point that he and i are often not sleeping due to him persistently clearing his throat and coughing and this is effecting our relationship. We saw our GP about 8 weeks ago, he initially prescribed antibiotics and a week of prednisalone plus saline nasal washes. This did not help. We then revisited our GP who thought it may be reflux associated, he was commenced on pantoprazole 40mg daily. He has been taking this now for 5 weeks with little to no effect as well as cutting down his smoking and avoiding dairy products. Whilst he has days where it is managable.....he often has nights where he is unable to sleep until he finally sleeps out of pure exhaustion. I am at my wits end and have run out of ideas and suggestions and fear this could create problems in our relationship because we are both exhausted. Any suggestions?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

His symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate causing cough. Cough is a protective mechanism by the body as it helps to prevent infections. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

In the meantime for relief from his symptoms he could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.