Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Prednisone & Eustasian Tube Issue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Prednisone & Eustasian Tube Issue

My ENT has prescribed Prednisone, Afrin & Sudefed to alleviate a blocked eustastian tube in one ear.  I am relunctant to start the Prednisone after reading about the side effects.  How well would tjust he nasal spray and decongestant work if the problem is due to allergies?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi, Afrin and Sudafed are decongestants and they help to relieve the congestion in the throat and nose, thereby reducing the inflammation around the Eustachian tube. Steroids taken in short courses will not cause side effects and they help to reduce the inflammation, hence your doctor would have prescribed them. They are taken in tapering doses and need to be taken after food. You can discuss with your doctor if you are reluctant to take steroids, he will prescribe alternate medications. Regards.