Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pulsatile tinnitus and eustachian tube dysfunction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi, I have been having what I would call pulsatile tinnitus for about 5 months now. I went to my doctor who treated me for eustachian tube dysfunction with two different round of decongestants and nasal spray.The only thing that helped was a steroid pack.
I then got sent to a ENT who checked my hearing and ears and said they were ok. He said what I was experiencing was a venous hum. I can push on my jugular vein and it stops and I also can lay down flat and it stops. He said its where the blood is flowing through my jugular vein and he has had to only operate on one lady and did ligation of the jugular vein . He said he didnt think I need any imaging done and sent me home with a diuretic,which helped but gave me migraines so I had to stop. He didnt try and do anything after that. My regular doc told me he still thinks its ETD so Iam confused and got two people telling me two different things.
I feel like I Need to have a MRI or something I dont think I will be satisfied until I know its not a brain tumor or an aneurysm, Iam really freaked out by this, I think if I knew it wasnt anything bad I could live with it more. Iam scheduled to start fertility med in a week but Iam really worried about getting pregnant andnot knowing about this.
Any advice I would greatly appreciate
hi shanna,
i have had the same thing for two years.  i've had an mri and another test where they put contrast into your vein and take pictures of your head.  it was not a tumour and all they found was a loop in my artery by my ear, which they said likely wouldn't causes the wooshing and roaring.  i've only seen ent's and i'm going to the dr. tomorrow to see about a specialist in veins/arteries.  if i too push on my neck it stops, still keeps on while i lye down and is there all the time.  i just had a baby in june and during pregnancy the wooshing was 100 times worse because your blood becomes higher in volume.  i had  a c-section so i didn't have to worry about any pushing thank goodness.
corrina