Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Recurring cough causing watery left eye and gaging

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi,  I have a recurring cough that goes away for about 2-4 months at a time. When it comes back it lasts for about 4-8 weeks. My symptoms are a tickle in my throat that feels like a pin stick that makes me cough violently and causes my left eye to water and turn red, my sinuses drain down the back of my throat. That, in turn, causes me to gag and heave and try to throw up.(I would throw up if I had not had hiatal hernia repair.) At the same time I have an extreme burning tingling sensation in my left nostral. Sort of like when you get swimming pool water up your nose while swimming. I call all this "My coughing episodes". I have had neck surgery. A 6" scar down the back of my neck. The doctor removed a disk and alot of bone spurs. A neurologists said it could be a nerve causing it. Wouldn't it happen all the time if it is a nerve? Or could this be viral? Any help is appreciated.
What you have described here is exactly what happens to me!!!  Please forward me any information you have on this.  I also had surgery on my neck, to have a saliva gland removed.  So please let me know what you find out!!  Good luck to you!
I too have the same problem. I am beginning to get very worried!! I have a young toddler and am five mos. pregnant. I have been diagnosed with Placenta Previa and severe cough can cause the unwanted bleeding that can result in a very premature birth.

This cough showed up along with colds, the mucous left me without air. But, this time I am not sick with a cold (or anything else that I know of). Yet the tickle leads me to the same gasping, throwing up. Very scary for my son to watch and embarrassing in public.

I've scoured the net and have found that the condition cough syncope might be the problem. But I haven't found a resolve. Anybody have some advice?
Today I wake up in the morning opened my eyes and figured out that my left eye had too much water in it. The water felt down like pulling water from a cup and my pillow was wet. my left eye then became too red and left nose running with too much water too. I have never had this strange concerns before. Yesterday, Nothing happened even before I went to bed. If someone knows what this could be explain it to me please. However, I use Xalatan eye drop everyday one drop in each eye for my eye high blood pressure.
Princesse, October 20, 2008
Probably acid reflux. I had the same recurring cough for over 10 years without typical heartburn symptom. 1st, stop eating food that could cause heartburn (lists available on-line), 2nd, eat peppermint when eating meals that could cause heartburn, lastly, during the cough episode (which I also used to call mine), take 1 tablespoon of honey and 4 oz. of Aloe Vera juice 3 times a day for approx. 2 days to heal your esophagus. Good luck! RCC