Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sebaceous Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sebaceous Cyst

I noticed a pea-sized (english pea) lump in between my ear and the middle of my scalp beginning in August. It wasn't really painful but I continually felt of it that day until it was a little sore. The urgent care people said it was a swollen cervical lymph node and told me I needed to get to a specialist. finally in october i went to the ent and he said it felt more like a sebaceous cyst rather than a lymph node, which to my relief was good. My questions?
How can he know just by feeling of it? What are sebaceous cysts caused by? Are they harmless and how do they go away because antibiotics isn't killing it. Are these cysts anything to worry about and how can one know the difference between a node and a cyst. I really wanted him to biopsy it just so we would know what it was but he seemed like it was harmless and my gp acted like biopsing it or doing a ct scan was a bunch of garbage. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would think a cyst would be more prominent-closer to the surface of your skin?

If a cyst is what you have, I would schedule up an appointment with a dermatologist. You may get farther with him/her. Biopsy, removal or simply peace of mind.
There is a dermatology forum here, though to post costs $19.
If this is what you want to do and your cyst can be seen by the eye, take a photo of it, upload it to photobucket.com (it's free) and post the url within the post.
If not, you can simply ask the dermatologist or try to get a dermatologist consult in person.

Another idea, have you tried searching "Sebaceous Cyst" on this site?

Best.