Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Severe long-lasting tonsillitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Severe long-lasting tonsillitis

Hi, I'm a 17 year old girl who is generally very healthy and have quite a strong immune system on the whole. This time last year I had a case of tonsillitis, was given Penicillin Vk and it cleared up no problem. Have caught it again this year and it seems to be significantly worse. I saw the first doctor last Thursday who said she could do nothing, that there were no white spots on the tonsils and it was therefore viral (there were white spots she just didn't bother to look properly). Ended up at an out of house surgery on the Saturday, was prescribed the same penicillin as last year. Took it for nearly a week and it had no effect whatsoever, was only getting worse. So went back to see a third doctor who prescribed Ethromycin and Metranadizole. Seemed to be having some effect but by day two I was vomiting constantly and could not keep the tablets down. Visited a third doctor last night who said he wouldn't have prescribed those two in the first place and put me on a suspension called Co-Amoxiclav, which again contains penicillin. Was feeling better last night after the first dose but had a rough night's sleep. I feel better in myself today, slightly more energetic and lively, but the throat pain has worsened if anything.
Is there any advice anyone could give of how to ease the pain? I'm taking ibuprofen and paracetamol, the doctor prescribed codeine but I'm holding off that unless I really need it because one of the side effects is nausea.
When should I expect to see some positive effect of the new antibiotics? The final doctor suggested that the longer the antibiotics have no effect, the greater the chance that I have glandular fever.
He mentioned quinsy, but said he could not see anything resembling an abscess and the fact I can swallow water, open my mouth and am not drooling indicates that is unlikely.
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you still have the symptoms you mentioned? The effect of antibiotics may not be observed immediately for some and may take 2 to 3 days before there is relief. Aside from pain relief, gargle and lozenges may help with the symptoms. If the symptoms persist despite the antibiotic, it is best that you have your throat checked by a specialist or ENT for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination and additional diagnostic tests may need to be done. Take care and do keep us posted.