Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sinus and throat problems...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sinus and throat problems...

A little over a year ago I had a septoplasty. My septum had severe curvature causing drainage problems. They had to remove a mucous retention cyst and clean up bone spurs. I haven't had any major issues since then. But 2 weeks ago I started having an old problem from before the surgery. I was having a severe pain and even swelling just by the crease of my nostril on the right side and it stretches out close to my cheek when there is swelling. The pain starts by my nostril but sends a sharp, shooting pain into my right canine. I wanted a second opinion about this. My ENT said that it sounded more like a problem with the placement of the roots of my teeth and the nerves than a sinus problem and said I should try a dentist. He said that it sounded like he had cut the nerves during the surgery and that is why I haven't felt it over the last year. That it growing back and healing is making me able to feel it again. Does this sound accurate? I am having a hard time with understanding the pain starting so high up if it is tooth roots causing the issue. I'm no doctor, but it didn't seem right to me. Also, a major problem that I started having over the last year or two that I thought might be related to the sinus drainage or even acid reflux was that I have had one or two small bumps that pop up like blisters at the top of my throat on the right side only. The only common factor of the occurrence is that I usually notice it popping up when I have my first meal of the day. It makes the whole right side of my throat sore for days. It comes and goes and there was not a bump there when I saw him so he didn't actually get to see the bump. The only time I have ever experienced anything similar to this was when I would get strep throat as a child. I used to get it once a year, sometimes twice. I have not had strep since grade school. But the location and type of sores is almost the same. My ENT said he didn't believe it to be related in any way to the face pain. He said the only thing he could think of would be that I am dehydrated and it is a clogged saliva gland. But it is a recurring problem that is starting to happen more and more frequently. The pain makes me not want to eat or swallow when it occurs. I have never heard of a clogged saliva gland causing blister-like sores on the throat. Is he possibly mistaken on any of these? I have a horrible time of getting things noticed or taken care of early. They usually don't figure out what is wrong until it is extremely bad. This is causing me a lot of pain and I would like to get this solved. I already suffer migraines and dizziness, so this is becoming unbearable. I have even missed work from being in severe pain. Any help would be appreciated more than you know.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain and swelling could be due to an infected tooth. Infected tooth roots from the upper teeth can go inside the maxillary sinus and cause sinusitis.  You might need a CT of the sinuses for more information.  However, if you do have an infected tooth, you will still need to have this addressed as dental infections can be potentially life-threatening.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.