Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sneezing through mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sneezing through mouth

Hi, this question's about the purpose of sneezing. When normal things like dust or pepper irritate my nose, I let out one or two fairly forceful sneezes, expelling a lot of droplets, and afterwards the tickle's completely gone. But what's odd is that pretty much the entire blast of air, and usually all the droplets, come from my mouth. The only time mucus is ever expelled from my nose is when it's very, very runny, and even then, there's still a whole lot of it left in my nose afterwards. This contrasts with my mouth, which always sprays out a ton of droplets. From what I can tell, other people that I see sneeze seem to do it exactly the same as I do, sneezing out of their mouth, with nothing normally coming from the nose. So, if the point of sneezing is to expel irritants from our nose, why does almost all of it come from the mouth? I've heard various explanations, such as the mouth serves as a release valve, or that if you just sneeze with your mouth closed and it will come out of you nose. The mouth being a release valve would make sense, except that such a small amount of air comes from my nose that I can hardly feel it. If I try to sneeze with my mouth closed, it just turns into a painful stifle. Given all this, I'm not too sure that the purpose of sneezing is to blast particles from the nose. What to you guys think?