Sore, tender nose for no apparent reason
2 days ago I woke up to a very sore, tender nose. It feels like I have been hit, but I haven't. I haven't run into anything either. Now it has a dull ache or throbbing. My sinuses seem to be fine, but it feels like my nose is getting worse, it's actually the skin that runs down the brdge of my nose that's in pain.  Please help!  thank you
I have the same thing! Well mine started off with just that nose pain on like the bridge of my nose.
Now, 4 1/2 days later, it still hurts really bad and is looking swollen. I also now have developed sneezing, congestion, watery eyes, and the full pressure feeling that is in my nose feels like it is spreading through my sinuses.
My nose hurts so bad though! I don't understand the pain and swelling.
Is this going around???  Last week the (R) side of my nose bridge was in pain and tender to the touch... thought it might have been my glasses because sometimes I fall asleep and it's still on.  But this morning, both L & R of my nose bridge is inflammed and pain at the touch.  I have virus conjunctivitis (pink eye) - would this be related??  Is this a sinus?  I do not feel like I have sinus.
Please help!
the left side of nose nose is red and swollen. yesterday it was just sore to the touch, today is it just plain sore, sort of a dull throb. From what i can tell it is confined strictly to the outside of nose, not in the nostril. I called my Dr and he's on vacation til 2nd week of Aug.
Wow sounds like somthing new going around my nose is so painfull i cant wear my glasses. Across the bridge of my nose and between my eyes. Is it allergies, or sinuses causing this crazy hurtfull stuff?
OMG !! I have the same symptoms. Woke up a few days ago with the bridge of my nose tender to touch. No drainage, no injury, nada. Today it hurts to even wrinkle my nose. Also it hurts completely midline through the cartilidge septum as well. I am going to the doctor tomorrow!

so what happened with you and all the others posted here??
Yes, add me to the list!  I woke up 3 days ago with this problem and its been getting worse!  I thought someone had punched me in the nose and I blocked it out!  Happy I guess to see I'm not the only one with this weird nose pain and swelling!
sorry new to all this, i have the same problem, what is wrong with us? I am now a little worried as it has been 4 days, thought i may have hurt myself in my sleep, odd, but the only explanation. I go on holiday in 2 days am worried the flight will cause more pressure???  
well me too. I woke up three days ago and it felt like I had been hit with a ball or something the day before. except i hadnt been hit with a ball. the next day it was worse. felt like I had been punched in the nose the day before. the next day it was hard to blow my nose it hurt so bad. this morning it is yet worse and now you can kind of detect that it is now swollen as well. not red but a little puffy. it is in the cartilige not the bone but where the two meet seems to be the worst place. it is not inside the nostril either it is in the cartilidge. nothing has happened to me and this makes no sense. I have no other symptoms. no fever no bleeding no runny nose or wattery eyes. has anyone gotten a bona fide medical opinion on this?? seems pretty odd to me...
I'm kind of freaked out about it, but it's good to know I'm not the only one. I'm wondering how it resolved for other people. Mine came with a cold and fever.
This is crazy, I have the same problem and its driving me insane....Please tell me what any of you have discovered.  I am between jobs, never get sick....really never use my insurance I've been paying for the last 20 years and now of course I could really use it.  HELP!
I saw a homeopath about this on Saturday. He treated my sinus involvement with a couple of remedies, and Arnica for the soreness. He didn't know what this is. Since then, the inflammation has gradually gone down, and after about a week, last night the pain was nearly gone. Now my nose is nearly normal.
maybe not exactly the same as all u - but I have been getting really sore little white oozy spots on the inside of my nose - anyone clued up? very often at least one nostril becomes fatter as though a spot has formed inside my nose, even though it hasn't and my nose goes tough and sore - i got that dry nose thing (forgotten terminology) as a kid how it all crusts up and u cant breathe and even tho i never get ill i always seem to have a sore nose - :( x
WOW, I'm located in Arizona and it's been 4 days for me.  The bridge of my nose hurts as if I had been punched.  A little swelling and I noticed yesterday that it was a little red. Today not only is it a little red but it looks like it's bruising. My eyes get a little blurred but not all the time. No fever but I do want to sneeze occassionally. No sinus drainage. Is everyone from a different state? My husband and I are really geting concerned. Does anyone have any kind of idea?
What did the doctor say?
This is really strange. I woke up two days ago with the bridge of my nose feeling like I had gotten hit. I'm not congested or anything. Today it hurts to wrinkle my nose or touch it. It even hurts to yawn. I feel silly going to the doctor about this. Has anyone gotten any relief?
I went to the doctor on 11/5, my nose started getting sore on 11/3. He really didn't know what was wrong, but prescribed antibiotics thinking there might be an infection under the skin. I didn't pick up the meds because I don't like to take antibiotics unless I really need them. I told him I would pick them up if my nose didn't get better in a couple of days. Today is 11/7, and my nose is starting to feel better. It still hurts, but not as much and the swelling has gone down. I also felt achy with this for a couple of days. The only thing I can link it to is that I got a flu shot on 11/2. I hope this helps someone in the future.
What is the Doctor's prognosis on the nose pain?
Everyone should be careful because I had all of your symptoms and was just diagnosed with staph in the nose omg the pain and the first 2 docs didnt get it the ent specialists got it but it is not easy to get rid of .
I was just wondering if anyone ever found out anything. Have had the same symptoms over the last 2 days (accused my hubby of hitting me in our sleep). Nose is extremely sore and a bit red and swollen. Have a bit of an earache, fullness in ears as well. Recently
(2 weeks ago) got over sinusitis and bronchitis. Anyone get an answer from their dr on this?
Swimmergirl is right, an infection is a significant concern, both bacterial in her case (staph and possibly MRSA), and even more worrisome would those like rodina with eye pain.  Nose + eye pain is very worrisome for herpes infection of the eye which can be very serious.  It needs immediate evaluation from an ophthalmologist.

A painful red nose for the rest of you...  that's not normal and worth getting your doctor to examine.
(mavericknewt) Your post reflects the exact symptoms I am experiencing.  Mine started on the bridge of my nose and over a few days worked down to the tip.  The sides of my nose have no pain.  I do have stuffness and have thought it was due to allergies. I have had this soreness for over a week. BTW:  I have no redness or swelling...just extremely painful to the touch and slightly throbbing.

I'm curious what part of the country others have that are experiencing these symptoms.

I have an appoinment with the doctor Thursday and I will post what he has to say.
I have the same symptoms as many of your with a little swelling and sore tender to the bridge of my nose... I'm going to get it out today and report back with findings...started with sneezing a few days back... headache.. fluish feelings.. could be sinusitis...  I'll let you know when I get back.. going to get some pro advice on this at 4:30 pst.
I forgot.. I'm in Northern California.. bay area.. near SF
My homeopath was very curious about what part of the country this is appearing in. I'm in upper Westchester County, New York.
I saw my doctor this morning and he believes this is due to my sinusitis which the amoxicilin they had me on before wasn't strong enough to kick. They have put me on a stronger antibiotic and Zyrtec to see if this takes care of it. If not he will be sending me to an ENT for scoping and a CT scan. I am in the Tampa, FL area for those who are asking.
Who'd you go see yesterday at 4:30pm?  I was here in Palo Alto in the Urgent care at that time, it'd be ironic if you'd come and seen me ;)
I'm having the exact same symptoms.  Bad pain in the bridge of my nose like someone punched me, but no other nasal symptoms other than a little sneezing now and then.  It hurts just to have my glasses resting on my nose.   I went to the doctor on 11/14 and she prescribed an antibiotic in case it's an infection, and told me to take Motrin for the pain and apply warm compresses (only helps a little).

I'm curious if anyone has a diagnosis yet.  Is  this a staph infection?

I'm in the Boston, MA area.  
And here I was asking the husband if he hit me the night before.  lol  Interesting how it seems this is a problem that I have never encountered or even heard of anyone having until I got here.  I have had this pain down the bridge of my nose for just a few days and its driving me crazy.  I am wondering if there is any over the counter meds first before I go and see the doctor (not one who likes going unless I need to).  I know it was windy the day it started and this maybe a contributing factor.  This pain is only on the bridge of my nose but I have noticed my nose seems swollen as well.
Let me know if there is something I can use to stop this pain.  
Tucson, AZ
Over the counter pain relievers make sense to try, but if it travels from the bridge down to the tip, and coincides with eye pain like others have commented on this page, an immediate evaluation by a doctor is necessary to rule out a herpes eye infection.  MRSA of the nose would be a concern too...
hey this is weird...

okay last week 11/12 i've had a sore nose since and it was on friday when the pain became unbearable...my supervisor sent me to quickcare, cause she say i didnt look so hot...i felt like someone hit me, it hurt to breath in/out, i thought maybe it was my sinuses too because it was really stuffy where i'm stationed to work. so the nnp and md diagnosed me with nasal rhinitis (couldnt tell much cause of the swelling INSIDE). sent me home on allerex, humidifier, nasal flushes, and neosporin ointment.  NONE OF THIS WORKED. i swabbed my nose the following saturday night when i noticed a whitish/yellowish gunk on the q-tip. it's less painful now, but my nose is still swollen. i made an appt with my doctor first thing in the moring 11/20

researching online, i'm hoping i dont have staph impetigo (swelling, gunk, yellow scaly crustys)...comes from your fingertips...i keep my nose clean for fear of embarassment of boogers showing, plus the feeling of my sinuses draining, i blow often. i usually wash my hands, but you just never know....the website i looked at was:

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/sores-inside-nose.html
Ask your doctor for a nasal steroid
Ya well I have the same on my nose,I got it in France and now in the desert its been on and off like this for over 6 weeks bit hard to get to a doctor in the desert so if any one can give some advice will be very greatful.
find a doc, get some nasal steroids.
Back to the original topic of this thread, I thought I'd follow up on my nose pain.  Like the original post noted, I had only the nose pain and swelling outside the nose, not inside.  No nasal congestion, no clogged sinuses.   Just a very sharp pain in the nose that seemed almost to be in the bone and cartilage, hurting mostly over the bridge and traveling down to the tip of the nose, as if my nose was broken.  But I hadn't had any injury to my face.

I've been on an antibiotic, Cephalexin, for 10 days and the pain is nearly all gone.  I still feel it slightly if I push my finger into the bridge of my nose where the pain started.  It was very slow to go away though, and I used Motrin for pain for several days after I got the antibiotic.  

I still don't have a diagnosis, and I don't know for sure that it's completely gone.  It's a very strange thing though, and I've never seen, felt, or heard of anything like it in my 49 years.

Bad pain on the surface of the skin of the bridge of your nose like someone punched you, without other nasal symptoms except for a little sneezing, sounds like it was a superficial cellulitis, a skin infection.  I'm glad the keflex (cephalexin) worked, if it was a staph infection resistant to penicillin (MRSA) it wouldn't get better with that antibiotic.

If you're in the Boston, MA area, there are plenty of university based ENTs that could give you a second opinion but that doesn't sound necessary since it's all better.  It sounds like you're just worried you don't have a diagnosis.  I'd presume cellulitis.
The pain is not all gone yet, just a good bit better, that's why I'm not sure that whatever caused the pain in the first place is gone.  Would I have pain like a bone fracture if it was cellulitis?  The soreness is not really in the skin, it's in the bone/cartilage and tissue under the skin, tenderness from swelling around the bridge that comes and goes.

My doctor said to let her know if it got worse.  It's not worse, just not completely gone.  If it persists this week, I'll give her another call and see if she recommends a specialist.
Hello....yet another person with a suspiciously aching nose. It started a couple days ago. It felt all hot and achy on the outside, almost like when you get a killer of a zit, or when the area around your cuticle gets a little swollen and hot. Gross, I know. But this is not pleasant. Now, my nose is quite visibly red and swollen, and it feels like I've been punched in the face. I feel like my skin is going numb from the swelling and pain. I feel like sneezing a lot. When I do, my nose actually feels better for a second. It hurts to wear my glasses, move my face too much (raising the eyebrows and smiling hurt), and even bending my head down hurts the nose.
I'm in south-western New Hampshire.
a second opinion from a specialist is a good idea

to IloveJT, see your doctor to see if you have a skin infection, which can cause many of the symptoms you're describing.  It could require antibiotics
What the heck!?!  I too have had the swelling on the outside tip of my nose ascending slightly up the bridge.  No serious pain as described before, but the feeling of a sneeze about to happen.  No congestion, only the outside visible swelling (like the killer zit!)  Thought I was imagining things.  Noticed it Sunday, now today (Tuesday) the swelling is quite apparent.  I live in Beaumont, TX
it's worth getting your swelling examined to consider cellulitis- skin infection
I have it too and  I work in Boston.  My symptoms only include a sore bridge and very slight (hardly noticeable redness) but it seems to have moved from my right side to my left and still a little tender on the right..  I do also have some cold symptoms that I've been trying to keep at bay with Cold Eze.

This seems to be a very strange thing.  I hope people continue to post with their solutions.
moving from right to left sounds more like sinus congestion shifting from side to side.

cellulitis (skin infection) doesn't shift like that, it just spreads until you start antibiotics.
i have the same thing - it started with nosebleeds on the right side.  went to doc on friday after my nose swelled up more along with my face - he ordered a CT scan that did not show the normal swelling associated with sinusitis that he was expecting to explain the pain & pressure. subsequently - figured it to be allergic reaction to mold that i had been exposed to.

the antibiotics seemed to help, nasal spray most certainly - nose is still tender & slightly swollen - still hurts right across the bridge.  

i'm in so. cal & i don't have history of allergies or hay fever. this has certainly been a dilly.
I just had alllll these near exact symptoms.....pain, pressure, swelling....the pain radiates from the exact bridge of my nose.  It's swollen on the sides, but not painful if you push.

Anyway, went to my favorite ENT doctor - he's a really really great doctor - and he diagnosed it (can't remember the clinical diagnosis) as an acute sinus infection inside the bone of the bridge of my nose.  He clarified that it's in the sinuses that there is an infection....apparently there are sinuses in there.

He put me on Nasonex, Clarinex, and Augmentin XR.

I hope this helps!!!
seat_belt and jl168,

a CT scan is helpful in showing whether or not there is a sinus infection.

a blood test called CRP can help too

Nasonex, Clarinex, and Augmentin XR can be helpful, here's why:
Nasonex, is a nasal steroid which shrinks the swelling and decreases mucous production
Clarinex, is an antihistamine and helps prevent the histamine hormone tell the body to produce mucous and fight the allergy
Augmentin XR. is a broad spectrum extended release penicillin with clavulanate to fight penicillinase producing bacteria.  used to kill bacteria.
I had the same exact thing happen to me and today I was given a diagnosis of Sinuitis: Acute Ethmoidal which is the sinus just beside your nose. Under my eyes had also become swollen as well.  I was put on Augmentin and a decongestant.

did you get a nasal steroid as well?  that helps many of my patients...
I am in Ohio and I have had a sore bridge for 2 days.  It is exacty like you have all described. I am so happy to read that other people have had the same symptoms.  I just took a chance and searched for "sore nose bridges" and found these postings.  I went to the Dr. 2 days ago with a severe pounding sinus headache and a lot of post-nasal yucky stuff.  My nose was not sore then but I noticed it that night. The doctor did put me on antibiotics, but it hasn't helped my sore bridge yet.  If it does not go away I will go back to the Dr.
I'm in Ohio also.  The last few days I've had a VERY sore nose/left nostril.  I have no other symtoms.  But crinkling my nose, or blowing my nose is very painful.  My nose is slightly swollen, but not red at all.  This is so weird, and feels like a very silly reason to go to the doctor.  
"sore nose bridges" can benefit from nasal steroids as well as the antibiotics you've received.  Also nasal saline rinses.
No, I wasn't given the nasal steriod but  the antibiotic and decongestant seems to have taken care of it...but will remember your suggestion if it ever happens again. I'm just glad to find you guys and know I wasn't the only one with this problem!!
Until a few weeks ago I had sore nose bridge on and off for many months - even my glasses hurt (and they're some of the lightest weight lenses/frames you can buy). I had no idea what the problem was, even after looking around the net. Haven't had a cold in months and no sinus problems I could detect...just the bridge of my nose so sore that wrinkling my eyebrows would hurt. Well now I may have found out what it was.

This is going to be gross: about a month ago I found a bad mildew problem in the drywall of an unused room in our basement. That has now been fixed and ever since the nose pain has not returned. Coincidence? Maybe, but nothing else changed around here that would have caused it to stop and not return (fingers crossed).

Check around your house - you may have a hidden mold problem that your system is so sensitive to your nose will hurt. Good luck!
Is Flonase a steroid nose spray?  I could not figure it out by looking on the net.
Thanks and God Bless
yes it is a steroid nasal spray, flonase = fluticasone
zsa
I too woke up Christmas Eve with the Bridge of my nose being sore which moved also to the right side of my nose. By the 26th I could hardly touch it. It is red and swollen. I made an appointment with an ENT but cannot get in until Jan 3rd. Today the swelling seems to have gone down some. This is the most bizarre thing that has every happened to me. Should I go to another Doctor or is there something I could get in the meantime until I get there. It also feels like my nose is broke. I was so surprised to see others have had the same symptoms. Thank You.
Yup, I had it for 3 days last week, while on Augmentin. Went to see a "Doc" who obviously had no clue what it was. I had an extremely painful and stuffed nose, and a sore throat. Nose spray didn't help. I gritted my teeth and sprayed "Ayer" in the nose tried triple antibiotic skin ointment with added pain med in it. Vasalene didn't help. I did have small nosebleeds with scabs here and there in my nose. Inside the tip of my nose was the worst. I took Ultram, Sudaphed, Tylenol PM, and tons of water. I used a nasal emolient. I was told not to use Flonaise. Finally it went away. On Monday and Tuesday I was fine. Same until today.....NOW IT'S BACK.....GRRRR!
I have  the same exact thing described. Its on the right side of the nose. The pain mostly is where the bone meets the cartlage. Im in Pennsylvania. Seems like most of the posts here are from the east coast. Does anyone have a definite diagnosis yet?
I never did get a definite diagnosis, but I'm interested in what people are saying about molds and mildews possibly being the trigger.   I got my "broken nose" -like pain after spending a lot of time outdoors raking leaves.  The description of a sinus in the bridge part of the nose becoming infected also sounds like what I might have had.  I had no congestion, or any cold symptoms whatsoever.  And the cellulitis doesn't match my bone pain either.  I was given an antibiotic and the pain went away over a period of about 2-1/2 weeks, though I don't know if it was the antibiotic that helped or if whatever I was experiencing just ran it's course.

The good news is that once it went away, it was gone completely and there hasn't been any after effects so far.
zsa
I am in Texas. It's so strange. I couldn't get into the doctor until the 3rd. But now it's slowly going away. It was so red and swollen not at the tip but the bridge and on the right side. I felt like someone had literally Broke my Nose.  Still can't figure it out. It's still sore but not like it was. Thank Goodness. I can sympathize with you all. No one NOSE (lol) until they have been there. Hurts worse than anything.
My nose problems started 2 days ago.  It seemed I had a painful sore inside the nostril way up inside.  The next morning the bridge of nose was tender to touch, and seemed swollen.  This morning, more tender, more swollen, and yellow crusty stuff when I try to get anything.  Is it a sinus related problem?  I don't have any other sinus pressure or drainage.  I'm going out of town until New Year Day, what can I do for it while I'm gone?

This is crazy - I actually asked my husband jokingly if he hit me while sleeping two nights ago. I woke up yesterdaY morning with a very tender and painful to the touch lower bridge of my nose (on the outside) - thank goodness you all have had the same thing because I thought this was bizarre. Today, it is a little worse and a little bit swollen (happy new years!) and I am hoping that I my doc will be in today. If I can't get to her until the 3rd? What should I do? Tylenol? I do have flonase here... maybe that is a good idea too?
Now the pain has shifted to the left side after about a week of being on the right. What the heck is going on. Has anyone been diagnosed yet as to what this is?
I am so glad to hear someone else has this.  I, too, feel like I've been punched in the nose.  The outside of my nose, under the bridge, is sore to the touch, I am sneezing and now my eyes are starting to feel weird.  Has anyone just waited this out, without using drugs, and had it just go away?
2ze
oh my god i have this pain on the bridge of my nose and going down to the tip.i allways want to sneeze.i also asked my wife if she had hit me.this is weird man the doctor doent know what is wrong with me nose.im in the uk.
zsa
Mine went away on its own, but it took over a week. Had it still hurt by the time of my doctor appointment I would have gone. That just to close to the brain for me. Hope everyone is better now.
I had exactly what's been described above by so many.  When antibiotics didn't work, my doctor prescribed steroids (methylprednisolone tablets).  They provided almost immediate relief from the pain and the swelling went away in about 24 hours.  
I cannot believe this.  I'm so happy that other people are experiencing this.  I was so worried that I had some sort of cancer or tumor starting in the bridge of my nose area.  It's only been a day and a half and everybody's symptoms here are like mine especially the one from boston which is quite interesting because i'm from the boston area as well near the northshore.   It's red, swollen right around the bridge area only and very tender to the touch.  feels like i hit it by accident during my sleep or ran into something that i forgot i ran into.  i kept checking my bridge to see if there is any fractures or breaks and asking people if i had a broken bone would i feel it a lot?  I think so!  So i hope this goes away on it own.  I'm going to wait a week.  If not and if it gets worse, i'll have a to see a doctor and this site and all your comments have been very helpful.  thank you.   the only thing i'm kind of worried about is that no one has the exact diagnosis for what is going around here.  And I don't really like to take too many drugs in my system.  Well thanks a lot.  I'll post again if it clears up in a week and runs hopefully its course.  
Wow! I cannot believe so many people have this same problem!  I have also had tenderness at the bridge of my nose with very slight redness and a little swelling since 1-23.  It also hurts when my glasses rest on the bridge.  My pain goes a little to each side of the bride as well, and so does the swelling.  It seems like each day the swelling gets a bit worse.  I was really worried because I was wondering if the swelling would ever stop of if my nose was just going to take over my face!  I am in Laredo, Texas, so it seems like this thing is running the gamut of geographic areas.  Thanks for the posts.  I sure feel better know others have this strange problem and are recovering.
As stated above, I had this and was diagnoised with an inflammation of the sinuses right between the nose and eye.  It felt like someone hit me in the nose.  I took an antibiotic and it cleared in a few days.
I live in the Dallas,Ft. Worth area of Texas.  I found my way to this forum because I too have this strange tender, pain and slight swelling along the BRIDGE of my nose.  This is a strange mystery, but now I know I'm not alone.  
Nothing inside nose seems to be affected.
However;  I have a deviated septem, and sinus allergies most my life.
So many sick people around me...I have been putting Bactroban inside tips of nostrils..as DR. recommended for our household to do.
This is a precaution against MRSP..  I will get some Nasonex and a nasal decongestant, will also use the Xlear nasal wash I already have.
Continue w/ Bactroban as well.   I will break down and go to my DR. if this doesn't clear up soon.
Amazing,

Same thing, in Maryland. After struggling for three weeks with sinus infection, I thought I was over it. Then, out of nowhere, pain on one side of the bridge of my nose, as though I had been punched. The pain then moved to the other side, and the nose bridge became tender to touch. The nose cartilage itself seems to be infected. Started amoxicillin two days ago (prescribed for the earlier sinus infection). It is starting to feel a little better. I was really worried about staph or MRSP.

Glad to know I am not the only one with this bizarre infection. I'm giving it two more days.
Amazing,

Amazing,

Amazing,

Weird...weird!  I have the same red tip of my nose and soreness up to the cartilage.  I was diagnosed with an ear infection last Wednesday and by Saturday, the red nose appeared.  By yesterday, it had a mind of it's own!  It's only the right side of the tip of my nose that is swollen, but it feels as if someone punched me straight in the nose!  I have been on an antibiotic for the ear infection, but it sure isn't helping my nose!
I live in NJ and both my father and I have the same symptoms.  It really hurt bad two days ago and felt like my nose was broken, sun burned and overall painful to touch.  MRSA worries me, it has to be something that is spreading like a virus. Mine is more sore on the tip.
does anyone know the cause....I have most of the same symptoms as everyone. Only difference is I had a slight run, went to blow my nose and it exploded with blood. Anyone experience a bloody nose from all this?
Mine went away completely in about a week.  I went to the ENT anyways, and he couldn't see anything still there.  I only used Bactroban a few days.  But boy was it sore.  Funny how so many people have had similar symptoms and yet no one has posted a diagnosis.
I'm in Oslo, Norway and have the same symptoms, swollen, tender nose on the bridge and slighty to the sides, but not the tip.  All started three days ago with really dry nostrils.  Then I had the hugest nosebleed I ever had - dripped blood for about half an hour before subsiding.  The dry nostrils symptom has now gone, replaced by the sweling and pain. Anyway, pain was so bad this last night that I got out of bed at 530 and went straight to the ER.  Doctor was puzzeled, could not diagnose but concluded its probably an infection of the nose cartlidge and prescribed  penicillin.  Taking over the counter pain killers works for a while, but not long.  I've been refered to an ENT specialist tomorrow.  This bizaare affliction couldn't have come at a much worse time since I have two job interviews this week and I look like ive been smashed in the face.
I really think a doctor needs to post a reply to this problem. I am finding it hard to believe that this many people have the same symptoms with no clear prognosis. I am in Mobile AL. and also feel like I got punched in the nose. No soreness anywhere but the bridge of my nose (where the cartilage meets the bone).

I am finding the mildew story making sense. I slept in my finished basement for a couple of nights when the problem started. There is a kinda a mildew smell in there.

A steroid/antibiotic should do the trick. Question I have is which ones work the best for this condition?

I am going to set an appointment to see the Doc tomorrow.

If anyone gets fast relief through medication, POST WHAT MEDICATION WORKS!!!
hey everyone
i have a left nostril inside thats red and hurts if i put my finger up (oops sorry) i get runny nose - blocked nose - its tender inside -
sterimar helps - saline spray
nasonex gave me headaches
had amoxycillin - never helped
got doxyclilin now - hope they work - in right nostril its like whitey snot - again sorry only way to describe it
anyone got same symptons
I am in South Jersey. I can't believe so many others are experiencing this. I just figured it was some annoyance to add to the rest of my "over 40" voyage. I go into sneezing fits like crazy, and I hate that "a sneeze is coming on" feeling. That's when it really gets painful. Its been since Sunday, it is now Wednesday night and I decided to google it. I"m glad I did. I will try that flonaise, or whatever I have in my cupboard. I will try to remember to post if it works.
OK, I just have to join in.  I am a flight attendant so maybe this thing is airborne...I live in Seattle.  Nose is sore at the bridge, swelling daily, I look like a lion-ess.  Have had the symptoms for 5 days now. Don't want to take antibiotics but I do have some flonase.  Wonder why one post says she was told not to take that.  Seems futile since the pain seems to be on the bone.  I have no other symptoms but hubby is down with a bad cold so I just took Immune Fizz (1200 mg C), something called Blockade (100% herbal virus blocker $30!!!), snorted some saline, swabbed with Zicam!  Wish me luck that I won't get his crud or any worse with the swelling!
I'm in Michigan.  I feel like my nose is broken....no injuries, sinus problems, congestion.....  It starts at the spot where the bone and cartilage meet and goes upward.  No redness or bruising.  I have had a pain behind my right eye for three days now and when I press on my bridge of the nose my pain behind the eye gets worse.  Anyone have that?
I have the exact same thing - pain and swollen bridge of nose with no symptoms of cold.  Went to the immediate care doc today and he thinks my hubby hit me and I just won't admit it.  That was a big help.  I had myself believing I was sleep walking or something.  I too decided there must be another reason and started researching on web.  I'm in Vermont.  Not to sound like Stephen King or anything but it seems like some airborne, mutant virus!
I know everyone is having pain at the bridge of their nose and occasionally traveling down to the tip. While I am having a similiar feeling or pain in my nose, it is not at the bridge portion. My pain is right where the nose cartilage and skin meet my upper lip. It is very painful and feels like a bruise. There is no swelling of the area that I can tell and I do not feel a cyst or pimple under there. Sometimes if feels like my lip is a bit swollen but, the inside of my gums where it attaches to my lip does not hurt. I am clueless and do not know if I should go see a skin doctor or just my family doctor.  Anyone have a comment to help me out or have had a similiar experience?
I found this forum when searching on Google.  I have the exact same problem as most of you . . . pain on the bridge of my nose, no congestion, perhaps a very little pain and redness.  It feels as if I've been punched in the nose.  Started on Thursday evening, it's now Saturday and the pain is worse.  I'm in San Diego, CA.  I'm thinking of going to the doctor tomorrow because it isn't getting any better.
Me too.  I had a virus recently and don't know if it's the tail end of it but my nose is soooo sore on the bridge, it's now red and very very tender and swelling up like a lioness.  The doc put me on antibiotics yesterday along with migraine tablets for the pain.  I am supposed to take the migraine tabs  2 every 8 hours but the pain is back after 3 hours and it's becoming unbarable now.  Do any medical experts know what this is?  I am able to breath and my nose is not blocked as yet but worried if this is the start of more horribe nose symptoms to come cause I sing for a living!  It's 4 hours since the last pain killers and I now really must have 2 more!  Andrea, Spain
I just started having the same symptoms, I went to a nurse the other day and she gave me flonase but based on other comments above I think I need to go to a doctor and make sure it is not something more like a staph infection.
Ok, I came home today and read these postings, panicked, and went straight to the urgent care center.  I too feel like I have been punched in the nose.   When I saw a posting about Staph, I panicked.
I went to the doctor, I was prescribed two high doses of antiboitics.  Sulfamethoxazole/TRI and Cephalexin
This is serious and should not be taken lightly especially on the face.  It usually does not get better without antibiotics.  
It is rarely contagious.
The condition is called Cellulitis. Look it up on google, and go to the doctor. I am happy to have caught it in the early stages.  I am unfortunate enough to have very dry cracked skin at times, and believe the Staph entered via that way.
Tell your doctor your suspicions.  I printed out the forum articles along with information on Staph.  I hope this helps, it really scared me.  It is something to take seriously. I'm on antibiotics for 10 days now.  
My doctor told me to throw away all of my make-up as it may be contaminated..... I'm doing that too!  Good luck and hope everyone does what they need to do to feel better.  I wanted to post this so that people take it seriously, as some of the posts make it seem like it will just go away,or have doctors that didn't take it seriously.  I feel that people need to act on this one.
I am on medication, as I stated in above post.  Some improvement today, almost 24 hours on antibiotics.... My primary care physician changed my dosing and now has me on Rifampin and the Sulfamethoxazole/tri.

She assured me I could go to work....but I think I will take another day, since tomorrow is Friday.  I'm worried I may be contagious.... but she said I shouldn't be.  I don't wish this on anyone else and would feel just horrible if someone got it from me. Although, if there were a contagious stage, it was probably already past....and was unknowingly contaminating people.  I hope not.  I think when it is sore, and just reddness.. very early stage... SEE A DOCTOR.
here is a link that I found:

http://www.doctorhoffman.com/xlymph.htm

If any of you are planning to go to the doctor, and are afraid your doctor will just say take two asprins for a sore nose....

Print out this article and take to your dr.... my doctor was astonished that so many of us are complaining of a sore nose... swelling, reddness, pain.  When you see all these people with the same problem.... you begin to take it more seriously.
The doctor did seem to think during this time of so many staph infections that it should be taken seriously. Mine was diagnoised as Sinuitis: Acute Ethmoidal ...the sinuses between my nose and right eye were infected. The bridge of my nose was swollen and it felt like I had been bunched in it.  He gave me an antibiotic and mine went away in a few days but he did say if I didn't notice a big difference to get back to him immediately...so if you are having the symptoms mentioned here you should probably go to your doctor.

I have pain in the nose to the touch. When I press on it, it feels like needles. It has been like this now for about 2 weeks. I have not been sick for a least 5 months, No sinus infections or colds. Not swollen or red just feels like needles when I squeeze it or press on it.  What the heck is it. Please let me know.
I live in So. Cal and I've been experiencing the same thing everyone else is saying.  When I wake up, my eyes are blurry and feel gritty, and it takes a while for them to get clear.  I'm going to go to the doc and see what's up.
Okay, anyone else getting the feeling this is some new weird illness?

I'm in Maryland and I'm heading into day 5 of this problem. I woke up a few days ago and my nose was mysteriously swollen, very sore and a little pinkish across the bridge. I wasn't stuffed up and even though I have frequent sinus congestion normally, I had none. Basically, I felt fine except for the bridge of my nose.

Even though my sinuses have felt pretty decent during this, I'm pretty sure it's sinus related because a combination of Sudafed and Advil seems to help. But if it was an infection, I'd really expect to have additional symptoms and I don't have any. I'd also expect it to be getting worse, which it isn't.

It'd say my nose stayed about the same for 3 days: so sore I couldn't even rub it and it hurt to wear my glasses. On day 4, it was slightly better and the soreness is now confined to a small spot just above the bridge. I still look funky, though! I've been wearing my glasses and whenever I take them off, I've got this serious indentation where they sit because there's still some swelling and I guess they push into it.

I seriously hope my nose goes back to normal soon!
OMG I have the exact same symptoms...My nose is killing me and my right eye feels swollen and very matted in the morning.  I am sneezing occasionally and have no stuffiness or head pressure...this is weird...I'm calling my doc in the am
Update - Day 5: When I woke up this morning, the bridge of my nose looked almost normal finally, and only had a slight bit of soreness. The end of my nose, however, was pretty swollen and pinkish. But I took Sudafed and Advil again and within a few hours, my nose looked almost normal and has stayed that way the rest of the day. So whatever this weird allergy/sinus sore swollen nose thing is, it seems to have run it's course in about 5 days for me.
On a whim I decided to google this weird sore nose that I have. To my amazement I share the exact same symptoms as everyone else. Sore @ the bridge I can breath fine, a slight headache and I have sneezing spells. It's been 4 days and it seems to be getting a little worse. I already have a big nose. I'll try some of the suggestions. soooo weird.
Very similar here. A few weeks ago I got what someone here described as the killer zit feeling comeing up on the lower right side of my nose. It feels like a huge zit deep in the cartiladge and bone, very sore but never erupts. It went away after a week or two, but has now returned a week or two later right on the tip of my nose. I have been getting bad bloody noses lately, some lasting more than an hour.  NorthWest, CO

I live in long island NY, have the same symptoms started two days ago pain on the bridge only no pain or other discomforts. only difference is I also have head eack with it  does feel like a infection between the skin and the bone but I do not have redness or heavy swelling (just a little).
I did have a cold sore 4 days ago and this was for the first time in my life I do not know if this was connected. I do not like to take antibiotics soo I will try to wait 3 or 4 days before taking a action.
It is surprising how wide spread this thing is when you think about it we probably do not even present 1% of the people with these symptoms
Same thing here  nose swollen, red and painfull. I was also getting bruse marks and swelling under my eyes.  I had a bad headache and just felt like something was spreading around in my head.  When I read all the comments posted here it seemed like it maybe some sort of bacteria or virus.  I have the kombucha mushroom that I ferment to make a kombucha tea. It is suppose to kill virsus and bacteria. I didn't have any of the tea because I was tied of making it and sick of drinking it but I still had the mushroom in my refig so I just cut a piece of the mushroom and placed it on the bridge of my nose it was immediate relief as far as the pain.  However if i touched the bridge i could still feel pain.  I used a bandaid to keep it on my nose all day and all night. then i took a vitamin powder that is called Superfood 3 times a day becasue i thought that maybe i caught this because i was run down.  It is now the 3rd day and i have very little pain the bruse marks under my eyes are gone. I can touch my nose without pain and i generlly feel well again.  
I thought when I googled this issue, I'd find no one w/ th same problem....there must be hundreds of posts here. The bridge of my nose is so sore that I cannot tolerate even wearing my reading glasses. I did go swimming in a friend's pool 5 days ago...and the soreness began on the left side bridge of my nose about 4 days ago...that side is no longer sore, but now the right side is sore...like some one hit me with...say, a candle stick. The pain is right where the bone meets the cartlidge. It is near a part of my nose where I have noticed a little higher than normal cell turnover rate...sometimes seems the skin there flakes one every couple of weeks....but a very small spot, a tiny spot in fact. Gotta be coincidence, though...this is so strange reading all these posts...so similar. Ibuprofen has helped the pain, but why has it lasted 5 days already? Slightly swollen as well, my wife finally noticed it today, and says the skin looks 'tight' around the bridge of my nose. Any cures, please post.
I googled for "bridge of nose sore" and found you all here.  What a strange thing this is!  I have the same symptoms you do - feels like someone hit me in the nose, and the thingie that divides my nostrils (nasal septum) feels bruised if I push on it.  The pain is where the cartilage meets the bone, and it hurts if I push gently on my nose on either side right at that point.  I'm at the very tail end of a cold and wonder if this is something that took hold while my resistance was down from that.

Tonight I did a nasal irrigation (Neti pot) and then a sinus flood (lay on your bed with your head over the edge and fill your nostrils with colloidal silver - it puts the colloidal silver in touch with that entire area to kill off any bacteria that are there) and then did a second nasal irrigation again.  I'm also taking colloidal silver internally.  We'll see what happens.

I love the Internet and we're able to find each other like this!
Wow..hard to believe so many people are in the same boat. I got exact same symptom as most of you. I never had a sinus infection before so I know it's not a sinus. I was scratching my nose skin quite a bit the other night..with my nails to clear off some of blackheads..wonder if this gave me the infection. I don't like to take medicine so here is what I did. I have been rubbing mustard oil (yes it'll help) few times a day & sniffing a little bit of it. Also using a warm cloth to pad my nose to ease the swelling. It was my day 6 & I'm feeling 95 % better.
Same thing here, thought I had a seizure in my sleep or hubby hit me.  Bridge of my nose is aching pretty badly, right to the tip.  
My nose also feels like theirs a bugger stuck up in there too.  I was thinking my glasses might be making it ache but after reading these posts, I guess I must have some kind of infection.  Let you know what the results are.  ****, I hate going to the doctor.
I really wish someone would write back if they got a diagnosis or name the antibiotics they took for this.  Yesterday morning I woke up with a throbbing nose/head.  The bridge of the nose feels bruised or broken.  I asked my fiancee if he remembered hitting me in his sleep.  I figured it was residual sinus problems from the sinus infection I had had a week before.  I do not have any other symptoms besides, sore nose bridge, pressure between my eyes and on nose.  I'm kind of freakin out man!  I read some about this earlier and hauled *** to an urgent care center.  The doctor didn't really know what was occurring....he said it's "probably" sinusitis, but wasn't sure... weird.  So, he gave me flonase, sudafed and amoxicillin.  I started all of that tonight...but when reading about cellulitis, I'm not sure amoxicillin will kill whatever strong bacterium is causing this (possibly MRSA) : (  I am so worried that I am going to another urgent care center tomorrow morning to get a second opinion.  Am I waiting too long? Is this thing spreading into my meninges??  Please....could a doctor give some advice or anyone who had this correctly diagnosed and cured!!!!!  

HELP!
I have the same thing.... sore nose, slightly swollen, red (sort of like a light sunburn) and the nose feels thick/numb like right after you go to the dentist and have a shot.  Nothing too extreme - but it has been about a week since this started.  I'm concerned too as I have been around people that have Merca Staph Infection - and are being treated for that.  So, do I try to see an ENT or my general practioner?  Any suggestions?  What is the treatment if it is Merca or another Staph Infection?
Living in Berkshire, England and I woke up 5 days ago with a sore nose, thought my husband had elbowed me in the night and not known about it (me or him).  He denies hitting me!  

After a couple of days I thought my nose looked slightly swollen and the bridge is red so it looks like a sunburn, but we only have rain here, so it may be rust!  It's only sore when I blow my nose but notice that when I lean forward, to pick something up for example, it is uncomfortable then.  My husband says go to docs, but I don't like to bother them as I don't feel 'unwell' just 'uncomfortable'.  Can anyone say what their diagnosis was and what their cure was?

Hi, I woke up on 09/29 with a sore nose, felt like someone punched me in the nose.  On 9/30 got worse swollen and red only across the bridge of my nose.  No signs of sinus infection.  A couple days prior to this happening I had really bad cotton mouth.  Found this site and read all the comments.

Decided to take some Zrytec and asprin last night.  Also put an ice pack on my nose most of the evening.  Nose is 100% better this moring.  Left side doesn't hurt anymore and right side a little tender and can feel some sinus pressure, but nothing like yesterday.  

Not sure what happened, I'm thinking maybe the mold theory in an earilier post maybe the culprit.  I was helping a friend move furniture this weekend and the buildling was really old and condo had a lot of dust and dirt.

Hope this may help someone.

An employee at our company contracted MRSA several months ago.  The doctor told us that in general,  you have to be in close proximity with someone who has MRSA and have an open wound to catch it.  Just an FYI
I was diagnosed with a sinus infection about two weeks ago, they gave me a z-pack which did not work and spread to my ear. Ended up with an ear infection that lasted about a week. Doc prescribed Levaquin which cleared up the remaining sinus infection and ear infection. Took about two weeks to recover from. After feeling somewhat okay for a couple of days and fever finally gone. I woke up about 3 days ago felt like someone had hit me with something across the bridge of my nose. For the most part it does not hurt in general only to the touch, and its located on the bridge of the nose around the cartilage and the bone and feels bruised to the touch. Very strange, at first I just figured it could be latent soreness from blowing my nose every 5 min for the last two weeks, but now I am a little more concerned. I have no other symptoms such as fever or visible swelling just very sore to the touch. Like others, I accused my wife of punching me in the nose while I was a sleep. I will give it another day or two at most and try to see an ENT if it does not get better. Also would love to hear a Doc post something on here since this appears to be fairly common. I live in the southeast. If anyone else gets a diagnose please update.
I have had the same symptoms for about a week. No redness, but extremly tender to the touch.
I'll try aspirin and a warm cloth tonight.
I would love to hear an MD's opinion.
Thanks.
Reno, NV
I too have the symptoms on right side of nose where cartilage meets bone. Pain started a few weeks ago with slight swelling and light redness. Pain and the feeling of bugers (sorry) and having to sneeze is constant.Two weeks prior to sore nose I got a flu shot. A few days after the flu shot I had a bout of cold sores. At the same time we had a bunch of black and brown mushrooms pop up in the low area of our yard and the ground in general smelled like mold. I don't know if this may be related but I tend to think so.
I am in north west Ohio. I have not been to the doctor but am getting worried enough to go. I am shocked to see the amount of people reporting the same complaint and symptoms on this site. I wonder how many other sites like this there may be? My husband has a question of how many of the people here may have had a flu shot. His thinking is this may be related.
Wow. I've got this beast now, in Australia. Same symptoms, sore bridge of nose, watery eyes, some swelling. I haven't had the flu shot at all, so for me at least it isn't related. I am prone to sinus infections which go to lung infections. Presumably you folks have all recovered: can you come back and say what, if anything, helped? As you haven't, I guess it gets better after a week or so?
yes sore red spot at bottom end of nose,gets worse the more you play with it, hurts more when you press on it to! looks like a bruised spot after playing with it, left it alone for a week and went away mostly not completly, played with it again and hey presto its back again sore and looks bruised, weird confusing and strange has arrived in new zealand the bottom of the world, hate to be left out, will find out what it is and reply, mmm mould could be it seems strange to think it could do that but who knows iv had contact with sanding mould befor painting so it could be! watch this space
This is the strangest thing, I live in so.cal and woke up 2 days ago
with the bridge of one side of my nose in horrible pain, red and swollen,
I have not had any other symptoms other than a painfull nose. It went to
the middle of the bridge and is now on the otherside, red and inflammed.
I was using Zicam because everyone was sick here at the office. I do not know if any of you used Zicam? I am taking Advil for the pain.
for the record, sore nose bridge, exactly the same symptoms. Am in Brighton UK. Thought as my dog died recently of bone cancer in the nose I might have the same thing, but not from kissing him.....

Amazing Google, who needs a doctor?

A few years ago I suffered from excruciating headaches every few months that came on for about 3 months and were agravated by alocohol. now gone thank someone, however I had 2 sinus ops and 2 times in for wisdom teeth, top & bottom before a doctor diagnosed it as cluster headaches or CH. If you type in the symptoms now it comes up immediately....
Got the same crazy simptoms in the bridge of my nose two weeks ago. Read this forum and frecked out! Went straight to the Doc. She said cellutitus. Gave me Bactrim and Cephalexin just in case it may be staph. A week later the simptoms are completly gone. These two meds. and this forum helped my Doc make the right call. I'm back to normal. Thanks guys for all your comments.   Lucifaye3
Same symptoms -- No injury -- Involving the top two-thirds of the bridge of my nose.

I had outpatient surgery 5 days ago so the doctor thinks it was because my nose was dried out by the oxygen going through the nasal prongs while I was under and in recovery. Um.... I don't think so. This is very painful and my once straight nose looks like it needs a nose job. X-rays showed no fractures. I was told to contact my PCP in a week if this is still around to see an ENT.

The only out of the ordinary thing I can recall is that for several days prior to surgery, my eyes were unusually watery and gritty -- almost like I had conjunctivitis but had no real crusting or red eyes. No stuffiness until just today. I've been on Septra for 5 days post-surgery.

This is really scary since the nose is so close to the brain. Makes me all the more concerned when there are -- what? how many posts here? -- and next to no follow-ups by those who posted. I promise to post back when I find out something.

Oh, yes, I did also have headaches for 2-3 days post-surgery -- pain in the forehead, temples, and behind eyes. I checked the side-effects of Septra and Pyridium and both of them do mention headaches as a possible side-effect so I'm not sure if that is relevant or not.
Still having headaches daily and the bridge of my nose is still tender. The swelling has gone away though. Still no answers either.
WTF?  I got it too!  Just woke up one day and it felt like I was hit in the bridge of my nose by a bat or racquet.  Tried to remember if I hurt myself bu couldn't remember an incident.  Reading the posts all made sense now.  Severe soreness and pain to the touch on the right side of the bridge of my nose.  Nose is swollen and slightly red.  Slight clear drainage but just getting over a cold a week ago.  Prone to sinus infections but no yellow discharge this time. This is different.  Mild headache, not too bad.  Nose just hurts like hell.  Went to the Doctor but only got to see a nurse who got me a prescription for Anti Biotics and a nasal spray to reduce the inflamation. On day two of treatment with not much improvement.  I will give it a few more days and then go to an ear, nose, throat guy if it persists and get back to everyone.  This is brutal.  Dave in San Diego
I woke up 2 days ago with the same problem...anyone know what is going on??  I also am feeling soreness on the bridge that seems to be moving down to the tip.  Headaches are terrible and also I am having some dizziness.  My eyes seem a little gritty or unfocused.   Kinda scary...guess I better go to the doctor tomorrow...UGH!
On day three of anti biotics and nasal steroid.  Seems to be starting to work finally.  My nose is not as sore.  Probably is Cellulitis but never really got diagnosed properly.  Go to the Doctor and get some anti biotics and the nasal steroid and your should recover within 5-10 days.  Might be a good idea to print off the various blogs off his page and show the doctor in case he hasn't seen it.  It is pretty brutal. Glad it is almost over.
OMG... I, like most of you by what I have read, typed "Bridge of nose tender" into Google and expected some vague reference back.
The bridge of my nose has been tender to touch for the last 4 days and is (now I have looked at it closely) very slightly swollen. Feels just like I had been hit right at the point where my glasses rest... I have also been randomly and violently sneezing but no sign of discharge or blocked nose.
I dismissed the sneezing and thought the pain might just be falling asleep with my glasses on or some other physical issue...
I am so glad I found this post as I normally only go to the doctor as a last resort but now I will book an appointment... I am in the UK so we have free(ish) health care service... Will take some of this info along and report back :)
I have the exact same problem as most. The right side of my nose is swollen, red and very tender to the touch. My ENT told me to use BORIC ACID Ointment. I just started using it yesterday 2/13/09. I dip a Q-Tip in the ointment ( DO NOT DOUBLE DIP) and rub around in my nose 3 times daily. I have not even been on it for a full day and already when I got up this morning my swelling and pain has subsided some. Feeling much better. Ask Your ENT if this is an option for you.  

I hope this will help all of you..
Going on day 4 of the Boric Acid Ointment and my nose is about 99% healed. Ask your ENT if the Ointment is right for you. Worked wonders for me.
Hi ,

I have had the pain for 4 days now , it came from nowhere at first i thought i was going to get a nasty pimple but nothing appeard !! it throbs and is very painful when i touch it . Its as if i got punched in the nose !! its soooo wierd !!!! , but unlike you guys i live in Malta which is a small island in the med .The bridge of my nose seems swollon too !! what on earth is this ??
thank god for the internet!
i wont go into the whole story, but i have most of the symptoms listed in the previous posts, and i thought i was loosing my mind until i found this site.
I thought my husband had elbowed me in his sleep, i just could not figure it out, and it lasted for 4-5 days, and towards the end i started to sneeze allot and have allergy like symptoms.
My nose hurt so badly, and it was red.. i could barley touch it.
I saw that many people were put on ani-biotics, i'm not a fan and usualy go for a more holistic approach.
after reading the posts here, i ran out and bought some Zink nose swabs.. and the relief was immediate. right away the pain subsided and the sneezing stopped. I did it once more before i went to bed that day and woke up with almost no pain at all. I am going to continue doing the swabs for a few days, but it's incredible how fast it worked.
I guess it is an infection of some sort...
I have had a red swollen nose for about a day now.  But I woke up this morning to a very tender jawline and my eyes and ears hurt as well.  I made and appointment with my dr. but cannot be seen until tomorrow.  I hope it is not an infection!
This is LONG but informative and important.  Went to a dermatologist because of a "skin condition" (blisters) on my inner thighs.  A swab was taken on one of the blisters and I eventually received a phone call on Feb 17, 2009 with a diagnosis of a Staph infection. On the day of the first visit where they took the swab I was immediately given a prescription for an antibiotic 2x/day for 2 weeks.  It was IC Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg wsw.  I went back in 2 weeks for the followup appt.  They took off a mole and not much else was said about the Staph infection other than "it is more common than you think".  The skin on my thighs had dried out pretty much so I was given a cream to help the dryness.  Nothing more about the Staph infection.  Prior to that first Dermo appt my nose had a white postule in the left nostril. It made my nostril very tender like a pimple, but it never came out of the skin.  I saw it when I flared my nostril because of the horrible pain.  Sterilized a needle and popped it.  The thing bled but the nose was pain free immediately.  Ten days later - got another one in the right nostril and repeated thee procedure. Over the last 2 weeks the bridge of my nose is excruciatingly tender - can't stand to have the glasses sit on my nose and it is unbearable to the touch.  Went to my Dr. Thursday 3/6/09 and she sent me to an Ear Nose Throat doctor the same day.  He said it was a Staph infection, that my nose was very inflamed and put me on an antibiotic that is strong enough to get rid of MRSA if I had it (the Staph that gets into your blood).  He gave me an antibiotic to take 2x/day (20 pills) called Sulfameth/Trimethoprim 800/160 and a topical cream for the skin of my nose, nostril and the bridge of the nose - called Bactroban 2% Cream 15gm. I have to go back to see him in 7-10 days.  He said I should not have been off the former antibiotic without it being PROVEN that the Staph was totally gone.  I now have to see him every week to have a swab of my nose until it is going.  My 2nd appt with him is March 13, 2009.  We'll see how it goes.
I have had exactly the same symptons for 4 months.  Been to Dr twice who cannot find anything and has sent me to an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. Can't get to see him until 20 April.
To Fellow Friends,
This forum of similar nose issues is overwhelming.  I too have had many of these same symptoms.  However, in my case, i've recently been diagnosed with a staph infection in my nose.  This was not easy to detect and the only way i had this tested was because I had been running a fever for 5-6 weeks and was referred to an 'infectious disease' doctor.  he ran so many tests i lost count.  one of them was for a common staph infection that hides out solely in the nose.  Please ask that your ENT doctor perform a swab test in your nose to determine if you are a carrier of a more serious staph infection (which can lead to boils but is cureable via antibiotics).  there are other less serious staph infections which just work their way out of your system.  I hope this helps.
I woke up with the same sore nose.  It got worse in 24 hours.  I saw the doctor today.  Said it was  facial cellulitis.  He put me on antibodics for 7 days and told me to call him in 2 days to let him know if I am better or  worse.   Goggle facial cellulitis.  It is nothing to wait and see if it goes away.  It can lead to more sever complications.  If the meds. don't work he is sending me to a specialist.( ENT)
I hope this helps someone.
I woke up this morning with the same thing. It feels like something has hit mein the nose.But no redness or congestion.What is it??
I still have no answers as the pain that I now experience is only occasional and not to the degree that it once was. It still rears it's ugly head from time to time. There are times that even wearing my glasses is just too painful. My nose, fortunately, no longer has the "broken nose" look. That went away less than two weeks after the initial symptoms.

I'll be going to the doctor this Monday and hopefully may get some answers. This has been going on for over two months now. If I had to guess though, I think it might have something to do with my ethmoid sinuses. Just a guess. I'll post more when I know something further.
Anti biotics and nasal steroids worked for my issue.
In 1994 I had these same symptoms and it went on for a few days. It suddenly got much worse as my nose swelled to twice its normal size. I was hospitalized at Cedar Sinai for three days. I was given an IV of antibiotics and I think the medicine was called Ansef but I'm not sure.
The diagnosis was Staff. It was very serious but did go away.
I came down with the same pain in my nose two days ago. Unfortunately I don't have insurance anymore and I don't know what to do. I am really grateful to all who have contributed here because I find myself in a position of having to be my own doctor.
Further to March 9 post,  went to ENT,  had a CT scan. Can't find anything and has ruled out cellulitis, rosascea.  Not happy!  Has given me nasate cream and Dermaid cream to stick inside my nose,  but it is not there that hurts!!. I just need to know!!  It is not as sore as at first. Still looking.
We all sound like a broken record...waking up to the bridge of our nose hurting for no reason.  If there is comfort in numbers, we've come to the right place.  On 5/1, after an afternoon nap due to headache, the swelling was increasing so I got into the clinic.  He gave me two shots, and put me on Ceruroxime 500 mg twice a day.  I don't know if that is strong enough to combat a Staph infection, but he did say to come back if the soreness doesn't go away.  I may ask for the nasal steroids if it doesn't get better.  This is just strange.  
5/4.  Things don't seem any better so I went back to the Dr.  She put me on Doxycycline 100 mg.  She said it would be a broader antibiotic, rather than one for sinue infection.  She also gave me some Nasonex to spray once a day.  If not better my tomorrow she will refer to ENT.  Has anyone totally recovered from this taking meds?  or does it just take time?  
The Doxycycline seems to be helping, with the swelling and pain slowly, very slowly going down.  I can see healing happening, and it's the first day I haven't napped for 3 hours in the afternoon.  I hope the healing continues.  I hope if others come to this web site the can see it does finally get better...although I'm not totally there.
How are you others doing?  Total healing????  
Woke up this morning and had the same thing.  Pain across the bridge of my nose.  I asked hubby if he hit me in the middle of the night.  I also have no other nasal symptoms really just a slight numb feeling right between my eyes and possibly a slight fever.  Have no insurance so that was why I was googling it to see if it might be something serious or if any one had suggestions about what to do about it.  I thought at first too that it was caused by my reading glasses simply for the fact that I wore them more often the last couple of days doing some detail work... but now I don't think that is the reason.  I highly doubt my doctor will have a clue as to what it is - but I just can't afford a specialist.  Will come back and post when I find something out because I know there are alot of people looking for answers as I was.  
I woke up a few days ago and the right side of my nose felt like it was broken.  By the end of the day both sides of my nose hurt. I went to the doctor two days ago and she gave me nasal spray and a nasal flush (salt water) and said to try that.  Its been two days and its not getting better.  It feels like the pain is moving more up the bridge of my nose.  I think if it doesnt get better in 4 more days I will go back to the doctor.
The Doxycyclin did the trick.  It took a good week before the bridge of my nose felt back to normal.  I would recommend going to the DR and getting on some antibiotic asap. I hope and pray it doesn't come back.  It wasn't life threatening or anything, but it wasn't nice either.  
I ALSO woke up, key word: woke up. Seems like everyone woke up to this pain. I typed in "bridge of nose hurts" and found this. The bridge of my nose hurts, when I press on it it really hurts. I have a 2 month old son so I was trying to remember if maybe he slammed his head into my nose, Lol. But now seeing this...I am afraid it is something more serious. My nose seems red as if it were lightly sunburnt, and seems a tad bit swollen. I even tried looking in and up my nose to see if there was something. I have been taking IBU profen for the pain, which helps, and my mom told me to start taking Amoxicillan. Only on day 2 of antibiotics, but it only seems worse. Even the top of my top gumline seems to hurt. I'm going to make a call to the Dr tomorrow!
Wow, I'm surprised so few have noticed Enoch Choi, MD has answered this concern several times.  In all, it is a matter of seeing your doctor and advising them of it.  Several have found relief with antibiotics which clearly indicates it is an infection of some sort.  

I was reading the Internet when I got a sudden pain on the bridge of my nose that spilled over to my left eye.  Like so many others here, it felt as though I caught a baseball with the bridge of my nose (and yes, I've done that and know how it feels).  That's when I Googled *sudden nose pain* and found this site.  I am now armed with the information I need to take to my doctor for a very specific diagnosis.  

I am near the southern border of WV.near southwestern arm of VA.
My symptoms started about 8 or 9 days ago. The first couple days it was just a little pain at the top of the bridge of nose between the eyes. About day 3 it got much worse and the pain spread down my nose and it began to get inflamed and swollen. Yes, like many others here I equated it to the feeling after being hit in the nose with a blunt object. Very sensitive to the touch or to wear glasses. All the symptoms were external, mostly on the cartilage on the sides of the bridge of nose. Had a headache to go along with it and some stinging in the eyes. No nasal drip to speak of.

Monday the pain was very bad so made an appointment and went in to see the Dr. Told her all things I thought could be factors - recent root canal, lots of sun a few days ago which usually is a trigger for the cold sores I get once or twice a year, and all of the mold from the wet weather we've been having. She said chances are it was sinus related and prescribed the Z-Pack antibiotics along with Nasonex nasal steroid to try after if the antibiotics didn't work. No noticable improvement Mon through Thursday. It actually swelled up more. Had general lack of energy as well and headaches. It is now Friday and I have just completed the 5 day course of the z-pack. I started Thursday night with a couple squirts of the nasonex. It's too early to tell but I think I have had some reduction in pain and swelling since last night. I'm no doctor but I'm thinking that this is a viral infection or some kind of weird allergy rather than bacterial. I will do a followup post in a few days. There are not enough followup posts on here which would give an indication of what works and what doesn't.  
To follow up post above. It is now Sunday. Had substantial improvement Friday. Took the Nasonex only Thursday night and Friday night. Had a little pain again Saturday but felt much better from that point on. I would say 95% back to normal now. Still don't know whether it was bacterial, viral or allergy but do know that the improvement was after 4 days of the  azithromycin antibiotics and within 12 hours of using the Nasonex for the first time. FYI, I live in the Concord, NH area.