Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Strange Tongue/Jaw/Ear Issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Strange Tongue/Jaw/Ear Issues

Not sure exactly what started this whole thing off, but last July (2012) I had an intense sore throat left side only with a minor ear ache.  Enough that it had me worried about the "C".  Went to prompt care a few days later to be told I probably had a virus and they could see nothing in my ear or throat.  They did a strep test - negative.  Suggested I might try OTC allergy or even acid reflux meds.  Imagine my relief.  Well, I got no relief.  I scheduled an appt for a physical.  Three weeks later still having problems...GP says he sees nothing.  I note that I do have a slightly enlarged but non-tender lymph node.  Still biggest complaint (besides fear) is throat and minor ear pain...all left sided.  He suggests more acid reducers.  I do that, have a deep filling done and suddenly the pain is constant and terrible and now includes my tongue...which is by far the worst and scariest.  So far, this is still going on.  I have seen three dentists, an oral surgeon, two ent's and a neurologist besides my gp and the prompt care doctor I started with.  I have had a brain mri, a neck ultrasound, and a neck CT scan.  All unremarkable other than noting several "benign appearing" scattered lymph nodes on the ultrasound and something to the same extent noted on the CT..."no frank adenopathy."  I am at my wits end.  the ear pain and the tongue pain are treacherous...the throat rarely bothers me.  The neuro diagnosed me with trigeminal neuralgia and put me on neurontin...which barely helps (if at all).  And of course, the fear remains even though one would think all the doctors and scans should make me less scared - the fact that the pain persists keeps my fear going.  Not to mention the terrible things I can find on the Internet.  Anyone have anything similar?  I find the trigeminal neuralgia hard to swallow because the tongue and ear are my biggest complaints and that doesn't seem to fit?  Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.  
Maybe should add I am 39 yrs old 5'4" 115 lbs and otherwise very healthy...blood work came back normal after physical and blood pressure always within normal range.  I had a deep filling done on my right side about a month prior to all this starting...deep filling done on left side (affected side) but a couple months after all this started.  dental xrays are fine.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Another cause for the pain you are experiencing could be temporomandibular (TMJ) joint arthritis. This is the jaw joint and inflammation of this joint can cause pain on opening the mouth and tenderness on palpating behind the ear. Check with your doctor to rule out this condition. Lymph nodes which are enlarged greater than one cm are significant. However, you can follow up to see how they are progressing.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your response.  My ent has suggested exactly what you have about the tmj artheritis.  I have an appt with a dentist to evaluate in a couple of weeks.  I am skeptical, but hopeful.  As far as the lymph nodes, the only palpable one is 8 mm...and may be even smaller by now.  I don't know if there is any connection, but I will say that I do have HSV2 and this is what the pain reminds me of, but in a totally different region...  I have wondered of the possiblity of PHN related to shingles and the trigeminal nerve but am told it is unlikely since I did not have a rash.  However, the neuro has told me that the treatment would be the same with the gabapentin.  I will keep this board posted as I have seen similar types of threads and no one ever seems to stick around and post outcomes or solutions.

Thank you again for your response.
Just an update...saw an orthodontist regarding TMJ. He did not see anything wrong with my jaw and has suggested I might benefit from massage therapy.  Not sure if I'm going to do that or not.  I'm just about tired of it all.  Hoping it goes away on it's on.  I am starting to have some good parts of some days.  I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with a herpes virus...maybe PHN and I didn't notice the rash...or at least the doctors didn't.  When this first started the pain was localized in my throat and both me and my husband thought we saw yellowish bumps or blisters.  I freaked out.  My MIL thought I may have strep and about a week later I went to prompt care.  By this time the intense sore throat and mild ear ache was becoming tingling/burning pain.  the prompt care doc saw nothing but since I had a fever (mild) she thought it was viral and told me to give it a couple weeks.  As time went on the burning and tingling spread to ear, tongue, jaw, and ironically - only occasionally the throat where it all started.

Who knows...will try to remember to update for all those people like me who see posts that sound like themselves but never see the resolution.

Just hoping all the docs and tests are right and not missing anything major.  This amount of pain scares me even though the doctors say this amount of pain does not necessarily indicate a deadly medical issue...that the biggest concern I have is usually not painful until the point at which we would be able to see the issue for sure.
Still nothing definitive, but did begin developing similar pain on right and had tonsil stone (new for me) sticking out on right side.  All of my problems had been on left.  Got the one on right out and looked behind flap and left side had tons that I could not get all out.  Doc helped get out and prescribed antibiotic.  However, they tell me this could not be causing my ear, tongue, jaw, swollen lymph node issues....
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As your doctor has suggested its unlikely that tonsil stones can cause your symptoms. Sometimes canker sores can cause these symptoms. It is very painful and can occur due to stress, vitamin deficiencies or trauma. Also, consider neuropathy. It is a disorder of the nerves which causes numbness, tingling, unusual sensations and sometimes pain. Diabetes Mellitus can cause neuropathy. Other causes like vitamin deficiencies, alcohol consumption and certain medications can cause neuropathy. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
What is new with you? I also had  a throat right pain and after that a ear ache,and the ENT doctor did not see anithing.After 2 weeks it past ,but after 3 weeks it came back for 2 hours,past again and came back  after 2 weeks,for 30-40 min/day ,for 3 days now.
I also have pain in my ear,tongue, and jaw on the left side. I've been trying to find relief for more years than anyone on a medical help board would want to hear. Have you gotten any help since May?
I wish I could tell you that I have an answer or it went away.  But it's still going on.  Basically, when I wake up in the morning I think I feel not too bad.  But not long after being up it's back to the same.  It is ear full, itch, ache mostly directly in front and at the angle of the jaw.  I have ache or throb or burning in my upper molar area and also my lower molar area and the area where my wisdom teeth used to be.  Then, the most concerning to me is the left sided tongue tingle/burn, occasionally itch sensation.  They have me on neurontin (gabapentin) but if it helps, it's not enough.  I take 200 mg 3x a day, and they say I can increase...but I don't know why I would since I don't think it is doing much for me.  On some occasions I have the sensations on the right side too, but not in the tongue and not as intense.  I have discovered that I have tonsil stones (although they are not hard - gross, I know).  But the ENT tells me that would not cause all these problems.  I have seen a total of about 12 or more doctors/dentists/specialists and been scanned from the top of my head to my lungs and they have found nothing abnormal.  At this point I am trying to believe/trust that whatever it is, it is not going to kill me or it would have been found.  My ENT says, she has no doubt I have a lot of "nuisance" (her term) issues, but I do not have any infections or tumors.  So, there we are....  Would like to hear more about your issues, if you would share?
Have you at any point had your jaw alignment checked out? If you teeth are not aligned properly after a new filling, it can cause extreme pain, dizziness and tingling.

When I had a new cap put in many years ago, it threw my jaw out of alignment and I suffered with extreme pain across my head and felt extremely dizzy.  

With the salivary stones, has you been given any advice how to avoid these in the future?  If there is any blockage in the Eustachian tube or from stones in your tonsils, no matter how small, as this will cause pressure and discomfort.  

With you being told that you may have neuralgia, but no cause can be found, make sure that you are not sitting in any draught, or in a room with doors and windows open opposite each other.  I start to suffer from tingling on top of my head, headaches and neck problems if I am caught in a draught or have air blowing on me.  Sitting in the car with the air blowing on me makes me feel quite ill.

Have you had your iron and Vitamin B12 checked out?  Low levels of this can cause tongue problems.  

Best wishes
My last spring four month jaw-ear-temporal pain has gone away. I felt only hints of it once during last week.

A dentist said that it may not be TMJ pain. Then an ENT doctor suggested me to go to a neurologist. It was not trigeminal pain. The neurologist suggested that it might be muscular dystonia. I have cervical dystonia, and, according to the neurologist, the ear pain may be caused by the dystonia.

I myself am not sure about that. Preferly I could think that it really originates from the ear or throat. During the worst symptoms, I also got tinnitus and vertigo. I have often sore flecks in my oral mucous membrane. My sublingual salivary glands often enlarge, maybe due to sialoliths.

But, I have read that one muscle goes through the inner ear. The symptoms may, however, be caused by tight muscles, either due to dystonia or stress.
I cannot believe that you have the same identical symptoms as I.  I have been suffering for 10 months now.....after 2 months of acute tonsillitis and antibiotic treatments I am still the same.  Feels like something is in my throat every time I swallow, terrible jaw pain, unusual pain, sensation in tongue ear ache...all on the left side!  Unbelievable!
Have another physical Dr. Appointment on September 12..... Will update then....how is your feeling now?
I wish so much I could say I'm all better.  Still pretty much the same...I think over time I get slightly better just have to think back to remember how it was worse before.  Still pretty constant tingly left sided tongue ear jaw pain...very slightly but soft and moveable (painless) lymph node - definitely less than a cm still.  I did ask the doctor to let me try elavil...only a week in to that so not ready to say anything about it yet.  I do have a physical scheduled 9/17...fingers crossed that they still don't think it's anything worse than some kind of nerve damage from a virus...which is what they've left me with for now.  My biggest fear is that they are missing something since they can't really tell me definitely what caused it and how long or if it will heal.  The medical professionals feel pretty confident they have ruled out any life threatening issues like tumors/malignancy/serious infections.  I just have trouble with trusting them I guess.  

Please keep me updated on your situation.  Hope you feel better soon.
Update - I thought I'd let you know what's up here since I just had a physical and a 6 month dental yesterday.  Basically, my condition is the same.  The doctor tries to calm my fears about some unknown deadly disease stalking my face and mouth.  My doctor checked me over and says that he believes, as the neurologist that this is nerve damage from a virus of some kind (atypical trigeminal neuralgia).  He said it does fit with Ramsay Hunt, but that my age (39) does not.  Regardless, he said treatment would be the same...and recovery could take years...decades, and may never completely go away.  I had him thoroughly inspect my tongue since that is the part that upsets me the most the back left of my tongue feels like it is electrocuted and on fire!  He claims (like all the other doctors and tests) that it is normal.  Even though I think it looks crazy.  I guess that's just because it's a tongue...

Ironically, the dentist found a leaking filling in the exact tooth I have been complaining about...one that was a deep filing that I had done around when all this started...however, it is the front rather than the rear of the tooth.  That is going to be taken care of on 10/4.  Here's to hoping he opens that sucker up and it's all infected and my problems are discovered...  (ha!  who wishes for a bad tooth!)

Just wanted to keep anyone who is watching this updated.  I can't stand reading a thread and never seeing the outcome...  So I don't want to be one of those :)
I have been dealing with all of this for the last year or so.  Started like a fullness on the left side of my jaw.  About 3 months ago my throat started to hurt when I would swallow.  The whole time I would get crazy jaw and ear fullness and pain but more off and on.  About two months ago my tongue started to go numb on the left side, mostly near the back, but it radiates forward and sometimes affects the taste.  

I'm a 28 male and have seen more GP's than I can count.  I have also seen 2 ENTs who scoped my nose and throat, and also gave me a CT.  No significant findings for me either.  I did notice that when I press my finger between my jaw and mastoid, under my ear I can feel a hard mass, which the Dr. has assured me from the CT scan is my "Spinal Process".  I can only feel this mass on the left side.  I was terrified of C also, but have had every blood test, tangible, and  visual inspection possible.

I'm starting to think my neck vertebrae has shifted or twisted, causing all this.  I am still on the journey trying to figure it out, but I will keep you updated with what I find.  I do know that
I have had really bad posture and face left at work at my desk.  I also sleep on my stomach with my head turned left.  I have corrected my posture for the last week, and have been stretching and massaging, but i just get even more pain.
My gp office called me yesterday and told me that my tsh levels have changed from last year .6 to this year .3184 and below .34 puts me at hyperthyroid and now I need to see an endocrinologist.  I have to wait until Nov 14 for just to see a nurse practitioner about that...guess they aren't too concerned.  However, my aunt is an RN and said it is unlikely that this is causing my problem and could even be incidental to some of the meds they have put me on or the contract used on the CT.  Thanks so much for sharing, and please keep me posted!!  Your symptoms sound awfully similar to mine and anyone of us getting a diagnosis could lead a question for the others to ask our doctors.  But really, I'd be just fine with it all going away too :)
Has anyone mentioned Shingles to you, I have very similar symptoms and pain and my Dr thinks it may be shingles and am waiting for a rash to appear.  On occasions the rash doesn't appear and the symptoms can go on for years.  I have also had jaw pain previously and had to wear a gum shield as I had a filing done which caused my jaw to go out of alignment, this pain is different.  I have tingling tongue and lip, with ear and jaw pain.  Hope you get to the bottom of things as living with constant pain can be so hard to deal with.
Your dentist should smooth down the new filling so that your jaw is aligned properly.

My dentist made by top gold cap too large and I had to have my bottom tooth ground down to compensate.  I got severe pain across my head and nearly fainted with the pain due to the wrong alignment of my jaw after the new gold cap was fitted.

I was given a gum shield to wear afterwards because with having a Grade 3 jaw, my tongue was always being aggravated.  I did find that taking iron supplements and B12 helped with the sore tongue.
I have the exact same thing going on. Anything new with you Purple?  I have Graves' disease as if April this year and since then, I have had a multitude of strange issues. My left jaw and skin where my molar used to be is sore.y jaw itself and eat ache. More so my jaw and teeth. Been to ENTs, PCP , allergist, endocrinologist. Something is wrong. Period. And my sinuses are continuously a mess.  Hope you're doing alright. I go next week to dr again and a new endocrinologist. Good luck!
HI!  Yes, my wisdom tooth scar area on the left side top and bottom feels crazy - tingly pain.  I'm so glad you commented!  Graves is hyperthyroid, right?  Do they say that has anything to do with all this craziness?  I am hyprethyroid and they are sending me to an endo but couldn't get me in until Nov 14. I am pretty much the same as I have been. This is depressing and anxiety causing...I don't exactly need any more anxiety.  Sheesh.  Thank you for commenting and sharing.  Keep me posted if you don't mind and I'll do the same.  I'm on a cancel list for the endo...fingers crossed they get me in sooner...and that they've got some answers.  Hope you get some answers soon, too!
Wanted to add that over the last 3-4 months I have been getting these crazy migraine headaches that feel like something is being pushed straight through my upper teeth through my jaw into my sinus and ear and into my eye!  It's really wild.  I've had migraines occasionally my whole life (even as a child of less than 5) and this is like a migraine, only more weird.  Anyway...just thought I'd add that since you mentioned sinuses.  
Hi. I was wondering if you had any news on what's going on with you? I know it's a few months later but I'm just now reading these posts and I am currently going through what appears to be the same exact thing, also all on my left side. Its been going on for 3 weeks and started with a sore throat and ear pain. The past couple weeks my tongue has been swollen and feels as if I have canker sores only I don't see any. I'm terrified. I've been to the doctor twice already and they keep telling me its a virus. I have another appointment in a week but its driving me crazy. I'm terrified its also some sort of cancer. I'm a 32 year old former smoker. I haven't had a cigarette in about 8 months. I've had blood work done and was told everything looks normal.
Nothing new here.  Trying to just accept that this is some kind of wild post viral neuropathy and hoping it'll clear itself up...  If that's the case, I think the outlook can be fairly long term...measured in years.  Already been over one for me.  Here and there I have days I think it's going to go away...then the next day it'll be just the same.  If I find anything new out I'll post it.  Hope you feel better soon!
My problem in the left side of my head has come back after being silent for a short time in summer. I have pain sometimes under the ear, sometimes in or behind the ear. Temple pain has not occurred recently. The pain comes most often in early morning hours. I had also some congestion up in my nose, when I was in bed. Very viscous  postnasal drip has slightly increeased. I have had postnasal drip for more than ten years.

In the autumn I have had red flecks in mouth mucosa and sticky saliva. On one day I had dry mouth and dry eyes. After the mouth symptoms my esophagus became inflamed and then it spred also into the stomach. Recently I have had upper abdominal belching and pressure against my pharyx (reflux?). I had a large tonsil stone in my righ tonsil. I looked it under a microscope, it was similar to actinomyces colonies. I have chronic infection in my tonsils, no treatment. I have also chronic infection in my left paranasal sinuses, but now my symptoms are not typical of sinus symptoms, preferly typical of ear infection.

I have seen many ENT doctors, two dentists, two neurologists, a cardiologist and many other doctors. Temporomandibular and tooth disorders, trigeminal neuralgia, ear infections, a coronary artery disease have been excluded. Now there is only muscular dystonia taken into consideration as a possible cause.

The left carotid sinus may be enlarged. It has been thought that the bulge in my neck beside or behind the sternocleidomastoideus muscle is a lymph node, but it is the carotid sinus (beating). There has been seen a lymph node of 17 mm at the same site some years earlier. It, possibly two lymph nodes, may, however be deeper in the neck. That site is therefore crowdy, and turning my head to the left is difficult. I have noticed a new lymph node just under my ear. Maybe the left submandibular salivary gland has also enlarged. I have often very small sialoliths in my saliva. As an off topic note, my brother has had a carcinoma in his parotid gland.

I may have Sjoegren's syndrome. Sialadenitis (with lymphocyte infiltration) was diagnosed in the small salivary glands of my lower lip a few years ago. I don't have the SS antibodies.

I think that my symptoms are caused by some kind of infection. I have some immune deficiency.
Now the cause was revealed! A doctor believed me that I have an infection (have had chronic infection in my tonsils since 1990's), He pressed my left tonsil and said that  pus is coming from the tonsil. I have seen it before that, but no doctor has believed. In this year I have already seen eight ENT doctors, although some of them were for sinusitis in January-February. The tonsillitis was worse for half a year, it took that much time to get diagnosis for the ear pain.

Now I am on Doximed for a moth. We'll see, whether the tonsils will be cleared.
I hope the meds clear it up for you!  Keep me posted.  Hope you feel better soon.
For any who may be following.  I have been taking lyrica 75 mg twice a day and elavil 25 mg once a day.  Seem to be experiencing a reduction in pain and in frequency...hopeful that more time or possibly more dosage of lyrica will provide further relief.  Appointment with endo for thyroid hyperfunction coming up 11/14.  Hoping that issue has resolved itself and no treatment will be recommended there...hoping it was just a temporary increase (have read can happen due to virus) and that I can be on the mend...  Will continue to update in case it helps anyone else.
I have had the same things going on for months.  Thick, sticky clear mucus.  Pain between my ear and mastoid.  Feeling like something is such where my left tonsil used to be.  A weird ear sensation that feels like again, something is stuck inside.  Loads of sneezing and blowing my nose.

The dentist and two walk in doctors have been saying it is a viral infection since July.  
The thick, sticky clear mucus is called catarrh and it is your body's way of getting rid of irritants, whether these are virus, bacteria or allergies to environmental pollutants.  The pain you are experience between your ear and mastoid may be a blocked Eustachian tube.

Do steam inhalations 4 times a day for a duration of 10 minutes each time.
Pour very hot water into a bowl and put some Vick or olbas oil in.  Bed your head over the bowel and cover your head and the bowl with a towel and breathe in the steam.  Take care not to get scalded.  

Sometimes nasal sprays are prescribed and decongestants, but these are not suitable for everyone.

As well as doing the inhalations, drink warm honey and lemon to soothe your throat and take pain relief medication as prescribed for the discomfort.

When there is a lot of catarrh and mucus it is best to avoid milk products.  

Hope you get relief soon.
Thanks, Purple74. I hope that your thyroid is OK.

Yesterday, in an ultrasonography of my neck, a calcified cervical lymph node was found. The doctor said that it does not cause any symptoms. The calcification may be caused by some infection. The chronic tonsillitis? Sarcoidosis has also been thought for me a couple of years ago, because I have had ACE and lysozyme above normal. I have an 9 mm tumor in my lung. It has not grown within a few last years, so it is left there. It is not in a site typical of sarcoidosis.

Taken from somewhere: Cervical node calcification is rare. On the basis of our limited number of cases, nodal calcification, regardless of its location within the node, is not a reliable predictor of either benign or malignant disease. However, nodal calcification does suggest a limited differential diagnosis that most commonly includes tuberculosis, treated lymphoma, and metastatic thyroid carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, or squamous carcinoma.

The antibiotic has not yet removed the pain near my ear. Usually pain comes in the morning and vanishes then for the day.

Dear Purple74 - I have followed all your posts and am amazed at what you have had to endure for over a year now.  I have had the exact same symptoms (but for only 4 days now) and am anxious to hear the results of your visit to the endo on Nov 14th.  Please post an update if you can.  And thank you for sharing your painful and agonizing experiences with this community...although no resolve as of yet, I hope for the best for you and all who suffer from this.
I am glad to finally find someone that knows how i feel. I have been trying to tolerate the same pain for 8 months now. My Dr and two specialist have told me they have no idea what is wrong. I am in constant pain every day, and it is getting harder to deal with.
Hang in there.  Will post more of an later when I'm feeling more confident.  Afraid to jinx myself.  But I think I am beginning to get some relief.  All the thyroid tests came back okay.  Even the TSH was heading back the other direction and had made it back to low normal by the retest.  They're still talking some kind of virus damaged nerve.  I am currently taking 100  mg of Lyrica 3x daily - expensive, but provides enough relief to make it worth the $$, also 600 mg 1x daily alpha lipoic acid as recommended by ENT for burning tongue...helps, doesn't cure, but helps.  Also taking 25 mg elavil at bedtime...seemed to help at first, but at this point I'm not sure what's really doing it.  I am also taking 1000 mg of methyl B12 because I've read it helps nerves heal...also at beginning of all this my B12 level was slightly low.  Do not think I have complete relief...but am beginning to feel hopeful that one day I might or even that I could live with it if this is as good as it gets.  Would like to eventually not be taking any rx's though.
Hi purple, hope this discussion is still going on.  I have similar symptoms to you.  Started with a sore tongue and ear ache, which google kindly informed me was cancer!! Struggled to swallow without pain and then totally lost my appetite and over a few months lost a stone in weight.  My gp sent me to ent guy who straight away put a small scope up my nose and down to the back of my tongue where the pain was and said there was some 'assymetry' to my right side of my tongue and sent me for biopsy.  I was so scared but so glad something being done.  My biopsy result has come back in the last couple of weeks and shows no cancer thank god but shows the bacterial infection actinomyces.  Googling it shows alot of my symptoms which have in the last month extended to a cough and sore throat and wheezing, worse at night which mY indicate that the oral actinomyces may have spread to my lungs.  Have you had a biopsy of your tongue or throat? Just wondering.  Apparently it is a rare infection.  I have been prescribed 3mnths of strong antibiotic.  Hope you are doing better.  Lou
Hi everyone,
I am in the almost same boat. Left side of my tongue swollen and at same time left ear infection. I want answers and am going to an allergist in two weeks. However, Purple 74 what kind of fillings do you have in your teeth? It sounds like an allergic reaction to Amalgam fillings (the silver ones). If you have Amalgam fillings get them out of your mouth as quickly as you can. Google it. Good luck!
Holy cow! It turns out I'm not crazy after all. My symptoms have been almost identical to yours, but on my right side. Pain and burning on right side of tongue, pain in top and bottom teeth, jaw and ear, painless swelling of lymph tissue near right jaw and very frequent headaches that feel like they're going right through my eyeball. When I read that you felt OK in the morning but progressively worse as the day wore on, I almost fell out of my chair because this is the first time I've encountered someone who's experiencing that same phenomena. I myself have been through two GPs, ENT, dentist, neurologist, oncologist, rheumatologist and oral surgeon along with 2 MRIs, CT scan and countless x-rays and lab work over the past 5 plus months with no resolution aside from pain relief meds so far. I'll be following this discussion with keen interest as well as adding anything my own experiences might uncover.
Thanks Jemma.  The pain subsided for approximately two months and has snuck back into my life for another week.  Funny thing is I was reading this forum, and noticed that I once read all this in November.  Weird.  Going to the walk in clinic today and asking for a referral to an ENT.  I think its time to take this step.  Everyone around me thinks that I am a hypochondriac but this ear/throat/tongue pain is starting to affect my every day life.  I can hardly focus.
Sorry the pain came back. I'm a few years into this battle and I'm losing hope. I found a dentist who was able to help for awhile, but the pain is back for me too. I have a mouth guard with an extra piece at the front which positions my jaw in a much better place so the jaw is somewhat better. I had hoped that was the cause of my ear and tongue pain but it wasn't. I don't need to describe the ear pain to anyone on this forum so you know how hard it is to carry on in any kind of normal life. Everything is on the left so the left side of my tongue feels like I have canker sores all along to the back. Nobody can see anything wrong with my tongue. There's some fluid in my ear but nothing they can do about that except tubes which I've had and where a lot of the troubles began. That is a long story and if I had less pain I might have had the energy to contact a lawyer about the suffering that ENT put me through. Now I'm getting more hearing tests, an appointment with a different ENT, and a consultation with an Oral Pathologist. I have no faith in doctors now except to write prescriptions. Sorry I'm a downer. You guys know what this does to you.
Hi Purple, Rob... My symptoms have been accumulating over a period of time... How long depends on which we include. Tinnitis, anyone? My issues are on my left side exclusively. I gradually developed a constant, dull ache at the back of my head, below my left ear. I then got a minor earache and sore throat almost simultaneously... both on the left side. I am always trying to 'pop' my own neck to relieve pain/stiffness at the base of my skull...on the left side... Now, my tongue... I guess about 10 days ago, I started biting my tongue.. You don't really consider that a symptom of anything, but it happened 3 or 4 times in a week. I went in the bathroom to see if it might be swollen...upon saying 'ahhhh', I discover that my tongue 'pulls to the left' coming out of my mouth. I can straighten it if I focus, but part of it... in the middle...ON THE LEFT SIDE... doesn't quite work right... This is kinda scary
I had a 30-day antibiotic in November. Then In January I got one week's antibiotic. Now  l am again taking Doxicyclin for one month. If it gives at least small help, then I'll continue taking it for another month or longer. If not, then  maybe nothing can be done (?).

There is chronic infection in my left tonsil. Maybe the around-ear pain is caused by the infection in the tonsil.
I have some of the same symptoms, but on the right side. I do have a swollen/enlarged gland.  No tooth pains.  No real ear pain, only "fullness", "popping",  but for the past two nights, my ear has been leaking clear, odorless fluid. My tongue is weird! Everything I eat/drink just has this weird taste?? Kind of metallic?? My tongue is tingly... kind of like I have eaten hot soup and scalded it! (which I have not done!)  I went and looked in the mirror a while ago and my tongue looks red and splotchy to me. Oh yeah.. and NO appetite!
Sounds like you have a congestion problem.  

To help yourself, do steam inhalations at home, 4 times a day for a duration of 10 minutes each time.  This will help to rid the Eustachian tube of the congestion which giving you the feeling of fullness and popping in your ear.

For the steam inhalation, pour a kettleful of boiling water into a bowl taking care not to get scalded.  Bend your head over the bowl and cover your head and the bowl with a towel and breathe in the steam through your nose and out through your mouth.  My doctor told me to do this 4 times a day for a duration of 10 minutes each time.  Do this for as long as it is needed,

If you do feel unwell with your symptoms, do get checked out by the doctor.  It does sound like you may have a bacterial or viral infection.
I am glad to see others are experiencing the same symptoms as me. Mine started in my throat 5 years ago. It would come and go up until the last 2 years and has gotten worse and staying longer periods of time. This last bout for 8 months. I have the same burning tingling feeling on the left side of my tongue and throat more being in the back corner of tongue. When I swallow feels like something is sticking in that area. I have ear pain, jaw pain, temple pain, and a swollen lymph node in neck. I have noticed a small hard knot in front of my ear right in the TMJ joint. I have seen 2 gp, 4 ent, 2 oral surgeons, 1 neurologist, and a regular surgeon. No one can give me anything but a MAYBE neuralgia, acid reflux, tmj disorder, and muscular issue due to bad posture. They just want to put me on gabapantin without a diagnosis. I am afraid of taking because I am so sensitive to medicines that I am afraid of the side affects of them. I take muscle relaxers at night and apply hot or cold to the area in front of ear. This seems to help. I have tried a lot of home remedies and nothing! I also currently take physical therapy. I wake up with a slight feeling and as the day progresses gets worse. I can eat and drink without any pain which is strange to me.  Curious has anyone tried acupuncture for this? and was it successful?
Have you had your blood test to see if you are lacking in Vitamin B12?  That can cause neurological problems like tingling.
Lacking in iron can also cause tongue problems.

It is highly likely that you have chronic cartarrh that is blocking your Eustachian tube causing the ear pain.

Other problems in the mouth can be from a yeast infection called Thrush.  Daktarin oral gel can be purchased at the pharmacy without a doctor's prescription.

If you have a swollen lymph node and with your ear problem, this could be caused by a bacterial or viral infection.
Your symptoms sound almost identical to mine.  I have been getting some relief with carbamazepine (generic tegetrol) and lidocaine patches that I cut and put on jaw and in front of ear at night and lidocaine gel I can swab on my tongue during the day.  I guess I'm still pretty terrified of what they are missing, but trying to move into the get relief phase.  Hope we're all better soon :)
just started two days ago with pain in left side of my throat started out like I swallowed a razor blade and progressed to left side of back of tongue and left ear ... last time I had a pain like this I had ulcers down my throat because of mono... now scared because of the increase in head and neck cancers in women secondary to hpv
How many of you have had your neck x rayed? Turns out I have a misalignment of C2 and C5 cervical vertebrae. As poor blood flow and inflammation are the result, any nerves in the area can potentially be effected. I have been seeing a chiropractor and with every adjustment, my symptoms differ slightly.That alone tells me I'm working the right area. I'm not fixed yet but this is the first real lead I've had so far. Hope it helps.
To help ease your painful throat, do salty water gargles.  
Drink plenty of warm drinks like lemon and honey is very soothing.  Buy medicated throat lozenges.

You could make an appointment to see the doctor to see if you do have a throat infection for which your doctor would prescribe an antibiotic. In the case that it is a viral infection, you just have to do what you can to relieve the symptoms and let it take its course by your immune system fighting of the virus.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
I am going to check my vitamin levels. I didn't realize that low levels could cause some of these symptoms. Haven't heard of cartarrh. Looking at info shows to be some of my symptoms. Thank you for all the helpful info, I am on a path to some things I haven't tried yet, :) I have been doing salty gargles, sucking on throat lozenges as well as lemon drops.
That is one of the routes I haven't tried but was given the advice of a friend to a chiropractor which I am going to set an appointment with. He also does the acupuncture which is why I was wondering if anyone had tried that for this issue. Glad to hear you have some relief. I have also heard chiropractors can help with ear infections in children.
I have the same concerns with cancer and hpv. I just wished someone could give me a reason or diagnosis instead of here is pain medicine. :(
Thank you for starting this post. I was happy to run across it. Are the patches and lidocaine  gel prescription? I sure do hope we all get better soon to!
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Yes...they are prescription.  Wearing the patch overnight seems to help a whooole lot.  Either that or it is coincidence.  The carbamazepine helps too.  I've seen people get pretty lost and depressed in the Trigeminal Neuralgia Support groups I'm in online.  I refuse to give up hope and however nasty this is I am grateful daily for not having a deadly diagnosis.  However, I have become a little bit of a hypochondriac not freaking out about every lump, bump, pain, discoloration...I have to remind myself to relax...A LOT.
Wowzers! I am so glad I have come across this. My symptoms started around July last year. It began with a sore throat on right side, constant throat clearing, constant swallowing that comes and goes throughout the day. I had been sick a little before so I brushed it off as viral. Over time it has felt like a lump in My throat and the feeling of having to swallow all the time. I have also had continuous nasal irritation for quite some time (always blowing).my symptoms how now changed to a tingling burning sensation under my right tongue that is constant. Also the feeling of swallowing and ear discomfort and around that area. I have been told it is viral, irritated by weather and acid reflux. I have had all my blood work done, ultrasound on my neck and endoscopy.  All have been cleared, I am apparently healthy apart from the acid reflux. I feel I have been incorrectly diagnosed. I have given up as this had almost gone one for 1 year, however this feed has motivated me to go back and get answers. maybe I need a biopsy? I hate the feeling that my health is at risk.  I am currently dating my future husband & just got promoted...
Hi there.  Its funny you mention the biting tongue part. I have been having the same symptoms as purple74, sore throat, and tingling tongue on the right side, however I notice that I do quite often bite my tongue at least once or twice a week when I am talking.  I also feel as though I get relief when I tilt my head to the right and crack it. This is something I never did before, as i dislike the noise. Have you had any further test treatment or diagnosis? Thanks.
I 'crack' my neck often, but was told by the chiropractor...and this makes sense... that I cannot crack all the joints...so they crack right up to the one causing a problem and that just exacerbates it.... See a Chiropractor or an Osteopath (dr of osteopathy) ... and yes... My 3rd MRI... this one of the soft tissues of the head and neck, revealed a growth at the base of my tongue... on the left side... biopsy scheduled.
Hi there, wow. Does the Dr suggest this "growth" is the cause of symptoms? & have they suggested how serious this may be? I have rebooked an appointment with my ear nose and throat specialist & will be requesting a thorough review. I will be very interested to hear more about your case.  I also wish you all the best & thinking of you.  :)
I will certainly do so. It will be a couple weeks... I have to wait for my Insurance to catch up before I start what is potentially, a very long and expensive journey. I will say that the chiropractic and the accupuncture have both been helpful to my overall pain levels... I always leave their absolutely pain free. Any of you who haven't explored 'alternative' treatments... Please do so.
I'm sorry... Yes, he has proclaimed that he has found my problem! We'll see.
I am now on the fourth antibiotic. First Doxycycline 30 days in November, then Penicillin 10 days in January, then Doxycycline 30 days in Feb-March, and now Doxycycline will be 30 days...

I don't know what the infective organism is. Borrelia tests were analyzed recently with Elispot LTT. The tests were slightly positive, but I don't know what it means. Maybe I have sometimes had a contact with Borrelia.

It seems that the antibiotics first help but then the ear symptom restarts. I am even having symptoms during the antibiotic. Besides the ear pain joint and muscle pains. Possibly Herxheimer reaction?
I am having similar problems with my ear sinuses and throat ... I constantly have earaches in my left ear only along with canker sores in my mouth and under my tongue. I get pins and needles in my neck and down to my shoulder and the doctor says I need a solid mouth guard although have been using a drug store soft one for 3 months now. I get a build up of wax in my left ear from it being so swollen and the jaw bone connecting to my ear is sore and swollen as well. Im being told by GP it's stress and I am grinding my teeth at night and clenching my jaw. I had a crown put in last year and all these problems have started after that although not sure if there is a connection .... I do know my sleep is almost non existent and the pain in my left ear jaw and throat gland is unbearable and so wish I could get to the root of the problem !! This is 6 solid months of pain there must be a solution or a proper diagnosis Im just not finding it !!
Oh and the doctor prescribed naproxen but so far that isn't working so now waiting for dentist appt to get solid mouth guard to see if that stops clenching and grinding and causing less pain in general but still not sure why I am getting canker sores now !! I am in my mid 40's and never had canker sores before .... the gland from my ear to my jaw is swollen and the earache is unbearable but no problems with my tongue except the canker sores !! the pain goes down my neck to my shoulder and find it very difficult to sleep on my left side so constantly waking up and rolling over from the pain !!
I've been diagnosed with a Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the tongue base. Solid Stage 2 (meaning it hasn't spread to the lymph nodes) and as soon as my Dentist signs off on the Radiation Therapy, I'll begin Chemo and Radiation. I hope all of you get better news than I, but regardless, I know how frustrating this has been for me. Please don't accept 'no answer' as your answer. "Specialists" tend only to look at their specialty as the solution.
I wonder which disease is this. Pain right behind the ear,jawbone, and feverish and also my gums seem painful.anyone who has got the right medicine ..i wanna relieve my self this excruciating pain..started from behind my eye thought its a migraine and another doctor diagonized me with bacterial infection a week after it was back. Thought it was my optical nerve but after it spread to my jaw and ear i can't understand it at all.
Kelly, you may have a virus infection. A year ago I had pain behind my eyes. MRI did not reveal any cause. Doctors said that it may be virus.

Now my ENT doctor thinks that I could have a rheumatoid disease in my left temporomandibular joint. I have also other joint and muscle problems, and positive HLA-B27. The doctor looked at my throat and said that the tonsil seems OK. Because the antibiotic caused side effects, it was stopped.

My left pinna is sometimes very sore. The neck muscles and the muscles around the ear are sore. The neck is sometimes so weak that it is shuddering. Now my elbows hurt, and the right knee is sore. Last night my leg muscles cramped very hard. The cramp did not stop until I took a warm shower. Now I am having tinnitus.
Maybe this will help all of you. Maybe it will only help one. But after 6 months of the same exact issues my doctor and I have determined that I have issues with my digastric muscle. It became very apparent to us when my hyoid bone was being pulled against my asophogus so hard that it felt like someone was jabbing me in the throat. This muscle lies directly underneath the jaw, which can cause jaw TMJ. It has a connection point underneath the tongue, another connection point underneath the ear, and also a connection point on the hyoid bone.

When it becomes very painful and you get headaches, it is because it is slightly constricting blood flow of the carotid artery which gives you pain in the temple. Muscle relaxants, youtubing stretches, and ice packs is where I'm at right now.
Please tell me who diagnosed you with carcinoma? I have seen 2 ENT's, a gastroenterologist, a dentist, my GP, and nobody can figure out why I fell pain under the back of my tongue on the left side along with an earache, ringing ears, and piercing headache up behind my left eye. This pain is killing me! And I can't seem to be able to find a doctor to treat this. Everyone wants to toss a prescription of Lyrica at me.
Pressure between my left tonsil and ear has returned after being away for some three months. I have got long courses of antibiotics. Because they affect, the reason must be an infection. The pain in the ear and its surroundings is referred pain from the tonsil. My tonsils themselves are never sore. The infection must be in the deep crypts or even behind the tonsil.

During the last antibiotic in March 2014 I had Herxheimer reactions, which means that bacteria are being killed. The bacteria in my tonsil crypts have not been identified, but there may even be Borrelia among others. My ELISPOT LTT test for Borrelia came back as positive from Infectolab.
I am at my wits end. I have read all the comments. The only reassuring thing about it all is that I am not going crazy. The symptoms really do exist. Please keep us posted.
TO ALL OF YOU SUFFERES PLEASE CONSIDER EAGLE'S SYNDROME AS A POSSIBLE DIGAGNOSIS , I HAVE BEEN HAVING ALL THESE ISSUES AND WAS TODAY DIAGNOSED AFTER A 3D CT SCAN !!!! PLEASE GOOGLE IT !!! HERE ISS A GREAT FORUM  http://www.livingwitheagle.org/
Have anyone else conclusion of these posts? what was the final treatment of all them. Anyone know?
Is eagles syndrom (syndrome) couse pain 24/7
I had exactly the same thing. The burning and tingling would wake me up several times at night. My biopsy also came back as actinomyces.  I am taking amoxicillin 500  three times daily. Can you please reply and tell me about your dosage?  One of the infectionists  I saw told me that is a low dose for the bacteria.  Want to know how you're doing.
Ok the process of all the posts on this thread, I feel so lucky to have found you all.  
I have suffered from a burning/pulling tongue which causes a very tight jaw thaI struggle with all day, this has been going on since 2003.

Just going to read the posts first so I can contribute my experience after.

Cheers
I think what we should all do is get a biopsy of tongue/jaw/ throat to see if all of our biopsies match. I had tonsillitis in April 2014 and a burning sensation  under the tonsil/ throat area on the right side. I also had bumpy swollen taste buds that I always tried to swallow. Tonsils are now gone (3 months ago) (biopsy showed actinomyces) but stinging/burning sensation in the throat/ jaw remains and radiates into my ear. My whole throat feels even worse after the tonsillectomy. It's swollen, narrow, pharynx is very red and back of tongue feels even more bumpy/ rough. I'm on amoxicillin 1000mg 3 times a day for 3 months for the actinomyces. I started the antibiotics 18 days now but hardly feel any difference (maybe a little?) I am not sure if this is an infection or some pre cancerous indicators. I also have the HPV virus. Do any of you? I am probably going to get another biopsy again to make sure I'm not missing anything. If we don't help each other seems like no one will.
With you being on a long term of antibiotics, ask your doctor to take a swab of your mouth and throat for thrush.

Antibiotics not only kill off the bad bacteria, but also the good ones too.  What happens then is that we get an overgrowth of yeast which is a fungus and can result in thrush.  Yes, you can get thrush in the mouth as well as the genitals, and on other parts of the body.

Sometimes, the doctor will prescribe an oral anti-fungal medication to take at the same time as the antibiotic.  For mouth thrush only an antifungal for the mouth is Nystatin drops or Daktarin gel.

A swab that is sent to the lab and if there is any bacteria or fungus this would be confirmed.  The swab would also indicate if you are on the correct antibiotic.

At home you can eat/drink yogurt with live cultures.  Also make sure that you drink plenty of water.  About 2 litres per day is fine.  

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
I cannot believe there are so many people out there with the same frustrating symptoms.  First GP said infected salivary gland.  Swore it was my teeth.  Dentist took x-rays; said all is fine of what he could see.  Next on to ENT. Got a CT scan and he "thinks" its my tonsil, but don't take them out.  Adult tonsillectomy isn't pleasant.  I'll be 57.  On to next GP.  Sends me to a different ENT.  He "advises" to take my tonsil out and schedules for Sept 4.  Says might be a cancer thing, might be a stone thing.  I'm a smoker.  I still swear it's my teeth.  Scheduled an appointment with endodontist for Wednesday.  Can't believe it would be my tonsil and don't want to take the risks in surgery.  My throat isn't sore.  Tonsils don't hurt.  Just right side of everything...jaw line, tongue burning, wisdom tooth area and back teeth area itchy.  Ear itchy.  I don't have wisdom teeth anymore but I have a deep filling in the back molar there and also have had a root canal and crown on the molar beside it.  I've also purchased a night guard because I'm finding I'm grinding/clinching my teeth at night.  Swear it's my teeth......
You should probably have a biopsy before tonsillectomy. The itchy feeling is driving me crazy as well. Wisdom teeth area, pallet,  and back of tongue.  I feel this through my ear. Recently all my teeth on the right began to hurt. I removed the wisdom teeth (don't know if it was smart considering I had infection in my mouth). Even though I'm on antibiotics I still experience these things but not as strong. Biopsy of a few areas is the smartest way to go.
Thank you. I'm already doing Nystatin mouthwash and swallow. I began to develop horrific burning of gums and toothaches with long term antibiotics so this week I made a decision to stop and see if my immune system could figure this out on its own. Now I'm stuck with mouth hurting and still have the same throat problem.  Antibiotics just make things worse. The dosage they prescribe 1000th 3 times daily is impossible to take. I felt sick the whole time, couldn't get out of bed to eat, on top of it gum disease. I hope there's an end to this nightmare.
Unfortunately, antibiotics destroy the good bacterial as well as the bad bacteria and being on antibiotics can bring on fungal problems.

If the Nystatin mouth wash is not helping, go back and see your doctor to get a swab taken from your mouth and throat and get it analysed by the lab.
Nystatin drops may be better rather the mouthwash or the Daktarin oral gel.  I am not familiar with the Nystatin mouth wash and do not know if the strength in that is the same as in the drops.  You may need more than one bottle of Nystatin drops to remedy your fungal mouth problem.

As you have been taking a lot of antibiotics, your doctor may consider prescribing oral anti-fungal medication.  There are a few different ones available and different strengths.  Sometimes some people have to take them for much longer than a once course of the medication.

I too experienced a severe fungal infection in my mouth after I had a tooth repaired and it took me a while to realise that it was a fungal problem.  

To help strengthen your gums and help to rid the infection, floss.  I am surprised that your dentist did not advise you to do this.  
When I had gum disease when I first saw the dentist that I am with now, he refused to repair one of my teeth until my gums were well.  And I was advised to floss.  If you do have gum disease, flossing will make them bleed, but with time, it will get much better and the gums will get stronger.  

Tooth loss (when the teeth just fall out) is due to gum disease.  

If those antibiotics are making you unwell, they may not be suiting you and you should also speak with your doctor about this as he would be able to prescribe a different antibiotic for you or tell you to reduce the amount that you are taking.

Some people are allergic to Amoxicillin.  

If your wisdom tooth was impacted, you did the right thing to getting it removed.  There must be a good reason why the dentist decided to remove your wisdom tooth if you had a mouth infection.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I feel same way as you.... Have been dealing with this right swollen tonsil, right ear and neck ache for 2.5 yrs. Elavil helped me but now that I'm off the pain is back all the time no forgiveness. It's wrecking my life and no one  can find anything wrong with me. I've seen every doctor, got all the scans, pushed hard and now just waiting for my tonsils to come out to try and alleviate the pain. It's along shot but worth the try
I'm wondering if I have an undetectable type of head and neck cancer...but shouldn't things have shown up in the last 2.5 years if I did. All the docs say nothing looks abnormal and they are clueless as to why I'm having right ear, right neck and right tongue numbness ongoing when not on mediation.... I want to gave another baby so bad but I'm scared I won't be around for them to grow up...Any thoughts anyone about my condition or what should I do?
I've been having left sided tongue pain for YEARS.  The pain is towards the back, at the back  molars, and on the left "edge" of the tongue.  It feels like it's irritated all the time.  Also have sinus issues and drainage that only seems to affect the left side. Constant feeling of needing to clear my throat, but only on the left side.  Constant feeling of drainage going down the left side of my throat.  Constant dull earache left side, that some days can be a pretty severe pain.  Dentist says nothing he sees causes concern.  GP didn't really do much looking but said "that all sounds like nerve issues" and that was it.  Really starting to worry.  Smokeless tobacco user and fairly heavy beer drinker for over 15 years now.  ANYONE had any relief or positive diagnosis? Also I'm a 37 year old male, in good health other than this.  Been clean eating since Feb and have lost 43 lbs to get back into my ideal weight range, but no relief from above issues.  One thing I've considered is LPRD.  Anyone else considered or been told about that?
I have similar pain! it went away with upper cervical chiropractic care, but just came back tonight after a year and a half, and I'm scared.

I have heard about something called Eagle Syndrome, tat is very rare, but causes this weird crazy pain that we all seem to share.
When you have the surgery ask for the tonsils to be biopsied. You should probably biopsy a tissue below or around the tonsil. This sounds like actinomyces to me. Can you please let us know what happens after the tonsillectomy?
I had pain and numbness from my ear to my eye socket on the right side in 2011. I had a horrible, bitter taste in my mouth for months. My inner ear hurt. My face felt like it had a cold steak on it. This what they did:
1: treated me for Bell's palsy, didn't have it
2. tested me for Multiple Sclerosis
3. Suggested Trigeminal neuralgia
4. threw their hands up in the air
I ended up in the ER with muscle jerks. I had, at that point, done my own research and discovered b12, calcium and potassium deficiences cause those symptoms. I had started taking calcium supplements prior to the muscle jerks. I thought I had tetany. The ER dr thought I had MS, told me to talk to my neurologist. I asked for the electrolytes test (which annoyed her) and she seemed to hate admitting to me that I had very low potassium and moderately low calcium. I was given potassium pills. I felt this was it because Id had severe diarrhea that led to dehydration and multiple bladder infections, dehydration so severe I almost passed out and I lost control of my legs. Thats when I did research. It went away with potassium. It came back and it was low potassium again. I am constantly dehydrated.
Now I have thrush from unrelated problems, complications of surgery, six antibiotics and an inhaler.
Here's what's going on:
1. coated tongue
2. swollen tongue
3. burning tongue, all on right side
4. inner ear pain
5. possibly unrelated high cholesterol (possibly because hypothyroid is implicated though my tests are fine.)
6. dehydration
7. distended uvula, swollen with cyst on tip, ENT said not cancerous
8. heart palpitations
9. some sort of lung scarring
10. Surgery site not completely healed
11. minor boil slow to heal
12. low vitamin D
13. high B12 but may be due to b12 injection given due to presumed b12 deficiency anemia
14. swollen lymph nodes in neck
15. blood and white blood cells in urine
16. suspicious mass in breast
17. morning headaches
18. asthma

These may not all be related.

Possible causes:
1. Chronic thrush due to above treatments, but having taken nystatin and diflucan repeatedly, plus clotrimazole lozenges Im doubtful
2. Suspected diabetes even though blood sugar was normal, ketones in urine

Possible diagnoses:
1. Thrush, hypothyroidism, b12 or other electrolyte or vitamin deficiency
2. amyloidosis or sarcoidosis due to lung scarring as well
3. lupus
4. leukemia
5. Sjogren's (dry eyes, dry mouth, consider Sjogrens)
6. lymphoma
7. oral pharyngeal cancer
I now have 6 specialists. I am 40.

It's not hpv, trigeminal neuralgia, MS or herpes
or bell's palsy

btw, you may want to have electrolytes tested, Sjogrens or amyloidosis looked at, diabetes test, b12, Cytomegalovirus or Epstein Barr considered

Im at a loss. Falling apart. Sick of co-pays. I dont care if they are specialists, no one is looking at the big picture, because they only have their jigsaw piece.
I cannot keep track of it all. My short term memory *****.

Anyone with resolution?

I had this, it was low potassium and low calcium, one sided. Check electrolytes! It can be caused by dehydration. After its treated the cause of dehydration is the issue.
Ask about cluster headaches. Theyre horrible and have multiple types of headaches rolled into one
I am in year 12 of this!  No true diag and have been across SE USA,  started at tongue/jaw on right side and now is from top of head to waistline on right side.  Bless y'all and prayers!  At year 7 I tried to "end it" and even though I live in major pain daily I am glad I failed!  I am 43 without other major medical issues. Unfortunately I woke up this past Monday with Bell's palsy on the opposite side!  I am sad again but at least it is numb and doesn't hurt. I take soma and entirely too many ibuprofen daily, and lortabs, and Xanax prn. IF ANYONE HAS GOTTEN A DEFINITIVE DIAG PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
Hello all,

I have been experiencing pain on my right upper and lower teeth as well as on the right side of my tongue base and also my ear every now and then, especially when I swallow. This started 2 days ago but i didn't really gave much thought to it as I thought I had accidentally just bit the right side on my tongue chewing or something. Last night I was trying to find the wound of where it was I actually bit my tongue and could not find one and considering that this has been going on for a few days and only getting worse, I turned to google and it lead me here, all my symptoms are just like yours except on the right side. I havent gone to the doctor yet, I thought I'd see what i can find first since going to the doctor where I live takes all day. I am 25 by the way. It might be selfish of me to say that I am slightly releived to find I am not alone in experiencing these symptoms and after reading this thread it seems this is a problem that won't go away so I really only have 2 questions regarding this; 1) Will I infect anyone else with this and do I have to isolate myself from everyone I am currently living with? And 2) Do I need to start typing up my will anytime soon?

Thanks guys
Don't do the tonsillectomy. You have no idea what an adult recovery is like. It's like have surgery every day for at least 3 weeks with no anesthesia ... I did and will never forget it. Nothing was wrong with my tonsils either. It was a muscle under the chin.

Your digastric muscle is your problem. Wish I had known it was mine years ago.

Do the following exercises as described and recommended at least 3 times a day. You'll soon see your problem go away.

STRETCH YOUR THROAT, THE MUSCLES UNDER YOUR CHIN AND THE FRONT OF YOUR NECK (anterior cervicals, suprahyoid, infrahyoid, digastric, platysma): In a seated position, lean slightly forward and stick your chin out (protrude your jaw), checking the position of your TMJ (temperomandibular joint) as above.  Point your chin up toward the ceiling, tilting your head backward.  Focus on pointing your chin up and be sure you are leaning forward to keep your head from falling back.  It should just tilt at the base of your skull.  Stretch for a few seconds, then lower your chin to relax the muscles.  Repeat 10 times.  To assist the stretch, go as far as you can using the power of your muscles, then press upward on your chin with the fingers of both hands.  Exhale through your nose as  you assist for two seconds. Relax and repeat 10 times.

I have recently seen a dentist and an ENT doctor. There is no problem with my temporomandibular joint. The ENT doctor said that if my tonsils are taken away, the "facial" pain may not disappear. I am waiting for an appointment with a neurologist. I have cervical dystonia. But I think that the one-sided pain results from some kind of infection. I may have anemia. My gums and other mucous membranes are pale. The red cells are small and pale. The hemoglobin and red cell count are, however, OK.

The pain has been rarer in the summer. The last antibiotic in April and the subsequent warm summer helped much.