Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swallowing pain for few months now.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swallowing pain for few months now.

I have had a swallowing pain for the last few months and there is also a small lump on the front of my neck just under the skin.  the lump has been there for several months and the ENT i saw said it was probably just a lymph node.  I had a CT scan done with contrast and it didn't show anything.  I don't have any difficulty swallowing and actually don't have any pain when swallowing food its usually when i swallow with a dry mouth or just swallowing saliva.  its a sharp pain on the right side of my throat that i feel.  My ENT said to just give it some time and I have but is has not got any better.  Somedays it hurts a little even without swallowing other days i barely notice it.  I will gladly give anymore needed info.  the pain doesn't actually appear to be in my throat because like i said it doesn't hurt to swallow any type of food.  Should i see another ENT?  There are so many to choose from I'm not sure what criteria I should look for or just pick one at random

Wow, this is pretty much exactly the same thing I have, whatever it is:

Mild pain in the throat area. Pain when swallowing saliva (not food or liquids). E.t.c.

Except that I do not have a lump under my skin and that it's been going on for about 5 years now, intermittently and at different levels of intensity.

The pain seems to change side from time to time which is weird.

I am having a lot of pain these days which pushed me to look into it yet again.

I have seen an ENT twice in the first few years who looked down my throat with a nose camera and reported nothing at all.

If you ever get a diagnosis please let me know as it may lead me to a diagnosis of my own.

Cheers

I too have the same symptoms.  A sharp pain in the front of my neck/throat, but no apparent lumps.  I only notice the pain when I swallow hard or sneeze.  Some days it is worse than others. Some days I have no pain at all.  I'm not sure what triggers it but it seems to get worse after I've drank alcohol.  But there are also times that I haven't had any alcohol and it still comes back.
I have been to an ENT three times now for this and he cannot find any thing.  He has treated me for acid reflux (his first diagnosis) with no success. He has put a little scope down my throat and saw nothing.  Then I was sent for a CAT Scan with contrast and also nothing came up. Nothing abnormal appears in the throat or frontal neck area.  It's frustrating because I know I'm not imagining the pain.  I just kind of learned to live with it.  I've had it for over a year now, and it hasn't really gotten worse.  So I figure that if it was something really serious like cancer then I would probably be pretty sick by now or notice some other symptoms.  
If anyone ever does find out what the real cause of their pain is please post and let us know.
Is have a similar situation - pain when swallowing saliva, but no other symptoms.  Anyone rec'd a diagnosis of what causes this situation?
I have been experiencing the same type of intermittant pain on the right side of my neck/jaw/under ear area. There is a little lump by my larynx that does not hurt. It hurts when I swallow and when I blow my nose. It feels as if I have an ear infection. An oncologist said it was not lymphoma or thyroid or throat cancer (upon examination and interview). My ENT looked down my throat, into my ears, up my nose and felt around the whole area, including inside the back of the mouth. After a lot of prodding, he found some points of intense pain on the inside of my mouth just under the ears. He says that I have inflamed jaw and neck muscles that are pinching a nerve and that days I chew something very chewy probably cause more pain the next day. He told me to take NSAIDs for a month, go see the dentist to get a custom mouthguard fitted or buy one from the drug store, and eat soft, mushy food for a month to calm down the muscles. I'm going to give it a try.
I forgot to mention that my ENT said my jaw and neck muscles were inflamed due to possible teeth clenching or grinding at night.
I have the same thing- a pain right under my jaw on the right side of my neck.  It hurts to the touch, and to swallow- but only when I turn  my head.  No other lumps, symptoms or anything.  Went to see my doctor about it and he thinks it is a pulled muscle on the front of my neck- since this first appeared in the morning I now wonder whether I aggravated in while sleeping (like gibbergirl says).  It's a frustrating pain but it seems like it is nothing to worry about...?  
Im having the same issues with my throat, pain on right side, hurts to swallow, saliva, Im good as long as im eating or drinking something.  Doc told me to suck it up and take throat lozenges, mildly helped, I have no coughing or sneezing, and no sinus issues. feels better when i drink warm water with lemon and honey, i workout alot but, this is really weird to all of sudden get throat pain after years of hanging out in the gym, i felt around and there is a small lump right beside my lymph node. if anyone gets word of a possible solution PLEASE let me know, this is becoming a ridiculous annoyance.
I'm a 19 year old male. I'm hoping that you guys can help me. Please. I recently (about 4 months ago maybe a little longer) got a lymph node biopsy, because I have several swollen lymph nodes around my neck area. Two on my bottom left side,  one on my right side, and another underneath my jaw. The one on my right side is now gone due to the biopsy. The problem I have now is that for the past month or two I've been getting sore throats, but it wasn't until 6 days ago that my situation worsened.  Now it hurts to swallow, eat, and drink. Also i've been coughing so much I cant even sleep right at night. as a matter of fact it is now 2:30 a.m and I have to be up by 7:00. Could I still have cancer even though my lymph node biopsy was negative? What should I do in this situation. Please help me out. I'm going crazy with this. Thank you! I smoke from time to time. and I am also coughing a lot.
I went to the doctors the other day, and they didn't seem to find anything wrong with me. I wanted to let everyone else know that only 25% of what you read on the internet concerning medical problems is true. Therefore 75% is completely wrong! Do not be as scared as I was, because most likely, you dont have cancer or anything serious. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't go to the doctor and make sure. Always take your health serious and do what ever you can to stay healthy. As far as my personal situation, my sore throat has improved dramatically. Although it still hurts somewhat, It doesn't hurt like it did a few days ago. Also the doctor said it could be some type of allergy. Even if i wasn't sneezing, or had a stuffy nose. Some people only cough and/or get a sore throat as their symptoms. she gave me some Allegra pills for it. I will keep you posted on anything else. Good Luck and God bless!
The condition of painful swallowing is caused by an initial viral infection in the tonsils, a course of amoxicillin 500mg will clear the infection however, the virus that started it will remain probably for no longer than two weeks.
In springtime, the condition can also be exacerbated by rhinitis and tree/hay pollen spores.
For the painful swallowing Difflam spray (bezydamine hydrochloride) will ease the symptoms whilst making sure you have a multi-vitamins boost during a Flu/Virus epidemic will ensure a reoccurance of this complaint does not repeat itself.
Make sure your diet is made up of red meat also for extra guard of your immune system.
In reading all the entries above, I believe I have similar issues.  About 1 1/2 years ago, I was eating breakfast and had a sharp pain in my throat like I had just pulled a muscle.  It hurt like hell to swallow.  1 1/2 years later, the pain (although not as sharp) is still there - comes and goes but is mostly there.  I too went to an ENT, he did the scope and gave me a prescription for an antacid. Did not help.  It feels more muscular but I cannot get rid of it.  Someone help me please understand what this is!
I also have had many of the same symptoms. Sometime in January or February, I noticed a small lump right next to my throat. I could push it down and it'd feel like i was "popping" it in and out. A small time later, I noticed that I'd feel my blood pressure and heart rate rise, usually around 8 or 9pm. I also occasionally have trouble swallowing and feel as if food is stuck in the back of my throat.
And just now, I started feeling this intense pain, as if theres a lump at the top of my esophagus towards the right, then the pain radiates into my right ear (which is the whole reason i started looking on the net just now for answers). It comes and goes intermittently.
In the past, I've tried looking for answers, and came across a possible cause for the trouble swallowing & the feeling of a lump in my throat: panic attacks/anxiety.
It's amazing what the mind can make the body do, and it wouldnt surprise me if this was the cause for most of us lol. After looking into it, I found that panic attacks are triggered by smoking and drinking (even though I find that a glass of wine calms me down and relieves the symptoms) and also smoking marijuana.
Try googling panic attacks or look at WebMD for more info if you suspect that this might be the cause. Of course, best bet is to talk to your doc about it.
Anyway, I quit weed to see if it helped with the symptoms (noticed a slight increase in anxiety, didnt really help) and i've been cutting back on smoking, but both havent really solved the problem. I have a feeling that it is just anxiety/stress but im not sure from what. But tea & a glass of wine helps calm me down at the end of the day, and i've found that this has worked best.
Regarding the sudden intense pain and radiation in my throat--starting to freak me out a bit. Going to the doc later this week, I'll keep you all updated.
Burleigh_Breezer
I read your psot about a viral infection in your throat being cleared up my amoxicillian.  Well, viruses are not helped by antibiotics.  They only work on bacterial infections and when used incorrectly, actually cause the body more harm by killing off good bacteria and preventing your own immune system from kicking in and doing its job.  In my opinion, doctors prescribe antibiotics way too much, for fear of lawsuits.  
hey guys,
I thought I'm the only one with these symptoms .... in my case I have heart burn ,,, may be it's acid reflux ... doc strongly suggested to quit smoking ... I am not going to smoke for a week and update you guys ...

peace
Hai everyone,

I justposted my problem. My problem is same as all of you.
Thank God! this is not a serious problem as none of you have reported so. Kindly update your symptoms
I jsut posted my question.  Seems very similar to folks here.  Pain, mostly on the right side of throat near adams apple.  Swollen glands, popping when I dry swallow.  The one thing I have that I dont see much here is a tingling sensation in my tongue, that when I look at it seems completely normal.
I have similar issues but my pain is coming from an injury that occur while i was at a padre game. long story short i was wrongfully choked out and tased by the san diego cops at petco park for drinking beer. the police officers applied a forearm choke hold on me and i know he had no idea how to apply one and on top of that his partner tased me 15 times. in the shoulder the lower back and the upper back. the next couple of days my whole neck was swollen. i didnt think anything of it. days later i notice when i swallowed I had crazy pain on my right side of my throat. i waited until it hit 3 weeks and then i would go to the doctor. my EMT said i most likely have a streached tendon in my neck. he said if i were to get a cat scan the scan would not show up any soft tisse.
he gave me steriods for my neck and said it should go away in two weeks of seeing him. which would be 5 weeks from my incident. im on 4 and half weeks now and the pain has only gotten worse and not better. ive been researching if i shoud get an neck MRI since that might show soft tisse. and they usually inject dye to show a better image.
These  are exactly symptoms that I have and my back of throat/jaw/neck problem when saliva goes down. Anyone found any thing yet? my ENT says it is just muscles, but I am going to get MRI of my neck. It is been 2 months now. Please help if you found out anything.
Don't be worried.  I went though all of the tests you can imagine, and it was finally determined that I just had post nasal drip and it had irritated the back of my throat when I tried to swallow.  I asked about the bump on the right side of my neck (many have this), and they did an ultrasound and determined it was my Hyoid.  It is shaped like a trumphet and you can move it back and forth (kind of pops when you do).  The reason it feels like a bumb on the right side is that there is a large number of people that have a larger Hyoid on the right side than the left.  Its one continuous piece of cartilage, or bone, but it is more prominant on the right side than the left.  If, though, you have swollen lymph nodes, it is always a good idea to see a doctor.  Otherwise, based on what I went through, I wouldn't worry.
Hello all ...I believe i have some similar symptoms. I woke up about 6 days ago with a pain on the rights side of my throat that slightly radiates up towards my ear.  This only occurs when i move my head a certain way or if I push my chin down to my chest.  Also, when i swallow i feel it sometimes but not always.   It seems to come and go, but there most of the time.  I don't have any apparent lumps.  It started when i woke up in the afternoon after I had been out until about 5am at a party.  

Prior to this about 5 years ago i had a lump sensation in my throat accompanied by pain.  Went to alot of doctors, been scoped by at least 4 diffent ENT's, 2 ct scans in 05 and 06, Barium Swallow and had 2 biopsies for growths in my mouth.  Nothing ever found.  

Know this started and I don't know were to go with it.

Any suggestions?  

Reading all cases, it seems there's a common thread throughout. Not all have the same symptoms together, but these are mine and seem to be shared by a fair number of you:

1) Pain / burning throat on one side (right-hand, my case);
2) Pain primarily there all the time, but eating tends to "scratch" or irritate back of throat, RHS, and sometimes while drinking;
3) Tongue sometimes moves over sensitive areas in back of throat, causing discomfort;
4) Fullness of throat (feeling inflamed);
5) Itching / pain radiating from area of base of jaw up through ear canal.
6) No issue with stomach acid or regurgitation;
7) Some days (much) worse than others. No day pain free;
8) Cannot identify a single causal event. Except, touching back of throat with Q-tip seems to generate a feeling of pain;

I've had these symptoms for last three years. Saw 2 ENTs. Had 2 CTs with contrast, one MRI (probably am irradiated for life), scoped from nasal passages to stomach. No tumors. No cysts. No infections (herpes, strep, etc.). Throat looks pink and healthy and reasonably symmetrical.

Referred to 2 neurologists. Both scratching their heads... "all the usual stuff is not working."

But, throughout and with research and discussion with all physicians a couple of possible causes have arisen and I've been referred to a university hospital as an interesting case.

Symptoms share commonalities with the following:

1) TMJ
2) Glossopharyngeal neuralgia (rare)
3) Trigeminal neuralgia.

Some types of drugs have been prescribed (carbamazepine), as well as well wishers looking at me as if I'm nuts. I wish I were. Nothing helps, nothing hits it. If Trigeminal neuralgia, then approach is RF Rhizotomogy of 8th cranial nerve. However, if Glosso, then only real cure is surgery of 9th cranial nerve, possible cause being blood vessel impinging on nerve. However, had MRI of head, and does not show any blood vessel impingement.

That's what I have. Any comments?
sounds like you may have Eagle's Syndrome - You need to see an oral surgeon and get a CT of the maxofacial bones.
hi all ive a lot of the symtom lists,feel better now.i also suffer from acid reflux ive heard it could be related
Just an update on me.  After about a year the pain finally went away I also took ibuprofen when it was really bothering and that seemed to help a lot.  I think it  was probably a pulled muscle, ligament, tendon, something that just wouldn't heal.  i had quite a few test done and that was the best guess i received as the ct scans never revealed anything.  I still have the lump but it appears its just a lymph node that is going to stay swollen.   i also had really bad acid reflux at the time where i would wake up at night choking, i think they may have caused my initial problem.
Hi, I have been having a small pain when swallowing, under Adam's Apple.  I have thought it could be acid reflux o the way a use the computer when on the bed (bad body position).
The pain comes some days and some other days I don't notice it.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.
Hi, I've read the stories above and for a number of people Eagle's syndrome may be something to look into as this syndrome can explain many of the things mentioned. It is rare, hard to diagnose, and unfortunately not all ENTs know about it sufficiently to be able to diagnose it. In recent years I've gone through most of the things mentioned above, I have recently been diagnosed with a high suspicion for this syndrome, and will be undergoing surgery for it soon.

I have done extensive searching on the subject and have read a good deal of medical literature to find out more. In this topic on another forum I posted more about my symptoms, about the literature and pictures (on that forum I am Weebo):

http://ehealthforum.com/health/eagle-s-syndrome-t207038.html

Some of it here, I really hope this helps someone:

EAGLE'S SYNDROME - SYMPTOMS

Patients with vague head and neck pain symptoms can lead to an extensive differential diagnosis. One easily overlooked but important cause of chronic pain is Eagle’s syndrome (ES). Beginning in 1937, Dr. Watt Eagle published a series of articles describing a constellation of symptoms associated with an elongated styloid process. This syndrome that bears his name is associated with two classic presentations. The first, which the otolaryngologist is more familiar with, is throat pain radiating to the ear in a post-tonsillectomy patient. The second, and lesser-known presentation, is constant throbbing pain throughout either the internal or external carotid artery distributions.

A patient exhibiting the symptoms associated with Eagle’s syndrome, may consult their family physician or an otolaryngologist, a neurologist, a surgeon (neurosurgeon, maxillofacial or oral surgeon), a dentist or even a psychiatrist in order to be diagnosed. Persistent pain and other symptoms could aggravate the psychological state of a patient. By the time the syndrome is actually diagnosed, many patients have already visited some of these doctors, who have unsuccessfully tried to treat their symptoms.

Symptoms depend on a variety of factors, including the length and width of the styloid process, the angle and direction of its deviation and the degree of ossification. The pathogenesis of the syndrome was described by Eagle, who discussed types.

The first type, ‘‘classic Eagle’s syndrome,’’ typically occurs in patients after tonsillectomy, although it can also occur after any other type of pharyngeal surgery. A palatable mass may be observed in the tonsillar fossa, its palpation sometimes exacerbating the patient’s symptoms. Symptoms include ear pain, neck pain extending to the oral cavity and the maxilla, dysphonia, dysphagia, odynophagia, persistent sore throat, the sensation of a foreign body in the pharynx, painful trismus <25 mm, vertigo and tinnitus. Pain is also observed when turning the head or extending the tongue. Apart from turning the head, yawning can also trigger symptoms, particularly those resembling migraine. Other symptoms may include tongue pain in general, a sensation of increased salivation, alterations in taste, vocal changes, pain in the upper limbs, chest, and temporomandibular joint, facial paresthesia, pharyngeal spasm, pain triggered by the movement of the mandible, cough, dizziness, or sinusitis. Eagle’s syndrome has also been reported as the most important cause of secondary glossopharyngeal neuralgia or atypical craniocervical pain. All of these symptoms are attributed to the irritation of cranial nerves V, VII, IX or X, all of which are situated very close to the styloid process. The observation of symptoms after tonsillectomy generates the hypothesis that these nerves are entrapped in the locally formed granular tissue. Trauma to the soft tissues during tonsillectomy may cause bone formation, leading to an elongated styloid process or ossified stylohyoid ligament. Ossification typically appears from 2 to 12 months after the trauma.

In the stylo-carotid artery syndrome, an elongated styloid process deviating slightly from its normal direction can impinge the internal or external carotid artery, stimulating the sympathetic nerve plexus accompanying the artery and causing pain during artery’s palpation. Stimulation of the internal carotid artery causes pain along the artery that is sometimes accompanied by pain in the eye and parietal cephalalgia. These symptoms can result in wrong diagnoses, such as cluster headache or migraine. Symptoms may also include aphasia, sight disturbances, weakness or even syncope episodes. Stimulation of the external carotid artery causes facial pain, mainly in the area under the eyes. Histological examination of the vessel wall in such cases may reveal arteriosclerosis. Stylo-carotid artery syndrome might also results in arterial variation.

DIAGNOSIS

The diagnosis of Eagle’s syndrome is based on four different parameters:

(1) clinical manifestations
(2) digital palpation of the process in the tonsillar fossa
(3) radiological findings and
(4) lidocaine infiltration test. During the lidocaine infiltration test, lidocaine anesthetic is administered to the area where the styloid process is palpable in the tonsillar fossa. If the patient’s symptoms and local sensitivity subside the test result is considered positive and Eagle’s syndrome is diagnosed

A patient exhibiting the symptoms associated with Eagle’s syndrome, may consult their family physician or an otolaryngologist, a neurologist, a surgeon (neurosurgeon, maxillofacial or oral surgeon), a dentist or even a psychiatrist in order to be diagnosed. Persistent pain and other symptoms could aggravate the psychological state of a patient. By the time the syndrome is actually diagnosed, many patients have already visited some of these doctors, who have unsuccessfully tried to treat their symptoms. This is quite understandable considering that the clinical manifestations of Eagle’s syndrome resemble those of many other diseases. Consequently, it is quite difficult to make a correct diagnosis based solely on clinical manifestations. However, it is very important for physicians and dentists to include Eagle’s syndrome in their differential diagnosis when treating patients experiencing pain in the cervicofacial and cervicopharyngeal regions.

A 3D-CT scan is considered the gold standard in the radiological diagnosis of Eagle's Syndrome. It provides an accurate measurement of the length and angulation of the styloid process and is considered to be the best supplement to the plain x-ray.

It is important to note that an elongated styloid process does not necessarily signify Eagle’s syndrome, as the majority of individuals exhibiting this anatomical anomaly experience no symptoms. Additionally, although an elongated process is found bilaterally in most cases, patients typically display unilateral symptoms. Also it is noteworthy that the occurrence of the syndrome correlates with the length of the styloid process, its width and its angulation. In fact a number of mechanisms can result in the onset of the syndrome and are responsible for the variety of symptoms. Consequently, patients may experience any number of symptoms, which often mislead physicians and necessitate the use of other data such as radiological findings to confirm the diagnosis. Both physicians (head and neck, oral and maxillofacial surgeons) and dentists must have a high index of suspicion for this clinical entity. Eagle’s syndrome should be included in the differential diagnosis of cervicofacial and pharyngeal pain. The fact that it is often excluded in such cases results in underdiagnosis and, consequently, an underestimation of the incidence of this syndrome.

Thank you all for the comments above. My wife has been living with the sensation of a lump in the right side of her throat for almost 3 years. We have been to 2 ENT guys, had scan after scan,.Blood test after blood test done and have gotten no answers as yet. We decided to go to a food intorerence expert as all other avenues closed behine us. He was a great help and we found that certain agents can cause the  bloating, however there is no connection to the invisable lump or sensation of lump in her throat.She also suffers from series pain in her joints. No one can see or find anything.They had suspected that a small pouch, that we all have , funny enough, in her throat was catching food on the way down, but this was ruled out after an xray. She is constantly coughing up undigested food shortly after eating.The problem is an everyday accorance now  and comes on when,

(1)  She sleeps on her right side.
(2)  Blow dryies her hair in the morning.
(3)  Gets too hot, ie sun /weather.
(4)   In a room with air conditioning.
(5)  Sitting down for too long.
(6)  After ever meal, big or small.

She needs a constant flow of air around her, Great if you were in a windy warm country, but no good in the depts of winter in Ireland.
She has gained a large amount of weight because of this and , in my opionion starting to show signs of depression.
If there is anyone out there who has any idea at all, or knows someone with the same problem. Let us know.
Thankyou
Dotts
Hi All,

I have also been experiencing sever pain on the right side of my throat when I swallow saliva or liquids, or when I sneeze.  In reading the above posts I think the problem is related to a pulled muscle or tendon or other tissue back there.  The reason I say this is that one day I was playing soccer and doing some shouting and the problem seemed to start right after that.  Then a few days later I did the same thing again and the problem seemed to get worse.  And it's stayed ever since and not gotten any better.  I went to a walk in clinic where they tool a look and swabbed for strep throat and it was all negative.  I explained the above and they said it was probably because of that.  They said wait a few days and go see an ENT specialist which I intend to do in a couple of days.  

If anyone posted above and has an update, letting everyone know in here would be greatly appreciated.  
I have very similar symptoms. 2 weeks ago my throat hurt a little, more on my right side and in my right neck, felt like a lymph node. My doctor gave me a z-pac while waiting for a culture. He did the 3 day culture for stept and fungus; both came back negative. I saw an ent, he scoped me, everything seemed normal. It is now 3 weeks since my pain started, and i still have it. The ent said that it is probably viral - he also said that most doctors blame viruses when they don't know what the problem is. Anyway, i will wait another week or so, and if the pain is still there, i will get a cat scan. I don't think that it is serious - i had this very similar thing happen to me 4 years ago. It went away eventually. I hope everyone hear feels better, and God bless you all!
i'm having a sore throat on the right side for almost a month now , the ENT specialist saw it and said I'm having a Pharyngitis as i sit in AC room for long hours, there is no cough but i constantly bring out yellowish dusty phlegm from throat but usually small amount and some times it is clear,the throat pain goes sometimes and i'm on Azithromycin(suggested by ENT specialist,after Throat swab test),but the pain continually comes back , any suggestions? i'm feeling anxious and frightened.Thanks in advance.
I ALSO HAVE A PAIN IN MY NECK(LEFT SIDE) FOR ABOUT  1 YEAR NOW..WENT TO A DENTIST,NO HELP,WENT TO AN ENT HE RAN A TUBE THROUGH MY NOSE LOOKED AT MY THROAT FOUND NOTHING, NO INFECTION NO STREP THROAT..MY PAIN COMES ON WHENEVER I EAT, DRINK, OR ANY EXCESSIVE INTAKE OF OXYGEN..ESPECIALLY AFTER SEX(LOL)..WILL BE DOING A CT SCAN IN A COUPLE DAYS..BUT I THINK IT MAY BE A MUSCLE STRAIN IN MY NECK..NOW THAT I HAVE SEEN THE OTHER POST FROM FELLOW SUFFERERS,
I have had a sore throat on and off since September. It started with strep and I took the antibiotic and got better then 2 weeks later came back again. Went to doctor got antibiotic didn't work took a second and third antibiotic and that didn't work. I ended up in the ER and got a shot of an antibiotic got better for a week and it is back again. I am now on another antibiotic and it does not seem to be working. The pain in the throat moves around and I did have pus pockets in the beginning of all three. They seem to disappear but the pain does not go away. I am at my wits end with this and my doctor doesn't seem to concerned.
after reading finding this page I suddenly had a brainwave...

First some background info surrounding my experience, (and hence my decision for posting here). I'm 36, male and in very good physical condition. I don't smoke, and I drink alcohol on occasions. I eat well, daily, and have a busy but healthy lifestyle.

A little over a year ago I was baby sitting my four year old niece. Being the inquisitive type she asked what the large lump in my neck was, pointing to my Adams Apple. She asked what it felt like... and within in a split second she had grabbed my throat, around the Adams Apple, and jarred it from side to side several times. I immediately experienced a sharp pain in my throat. The pain dulled after a few hours, but from that day I have had discomfort around that area of my neck/throat almost every time I swallow, (I'd say around 10% of the time, daily).

I experience minor discomfort almost every time I swallow saliva. The sensation is to the lower right of my Adams apple, but not lower than my thyroid. I have never had any lumps or bumps on my neck/throat. Drinking and eating is more than often pain free but not always. I do find if I turn my head to the left when swallowing it does lesson to a degree.

I'm only considered replying here today because I have had what I call a really bad day with it, and thought I'd do some more research to comfort myself. (and yes I have thought about seeing a Doctor about this but here in the UK Doctors seem to show very little concern unless you look like you are on deaths doorstep or you have some form of private medical plan, which I do not possess. So as of yet I have not sought medical advice about this, but may well do in the future, see below).

...and now my tried and tested brainwave (which has only been a hour and a half since thinking of it, but so far so good, and 100% successful). And please note although my symptoms sound similar to what others here are experiencing, there may also be completely different reasons for why others here are having this random neck/throat pain)

Deep Heat muscle rub! ... I applied a small amount to my neck/throat an hour and a half ago and my discomfort has vanished. Absolutely no discomfort when swallowing, even when I have tried to swallow harder than normal. I really can't believe I did not think of this before. My concern now is how long the deep heat will last and what's going to happen on a daily basis, as it's not going to be practical to use it every day, not to mention for the rest of my life! Any how, I will use it for several days and see how things go, and then I'll shall stop using it and see if the pain/swallowing discomfort returns. If the discomfort does return then to me this indicates I have sustained some form of neck/throat injury that may require some medical/specialist advice.

follow up from my last post.

I have now been free of my swallowing trouble for a full seven days. I used deep heat once a day for only two days and then stopped.

My only annoyance so far is that I have been a little paranoid that the symptoms will return. Crazy I know, but I have been in similar situations before and know not to push my luck, and as a result I have been extra aware of my neck/throat all week.

I have similar symptoms pain swallowing on the right side of my throat. Been there for about three months. Today it is bad. I have pain when swallowing food or saliva. Not sure what it is but I think I will try ffrr's remedy which I guess is something like Ben Gay or Icy Hot.
in response to my last post.

I went to see my GP who hinted that I was more than likely suffering from stress.

Thinking about it I had a major family issue happen just before Christmas, losing my job (through redundancy) and having to get a new one in January, plus setting up my own part time business over the last 2 years, and having to seriously budget my income was probably a lot to handle. Whilst I guessed I was coping my body was telling me otherwise, hence the trouble swallowing seeming worse than it actually was, and having constant thoughts of 'what is wrong with me'! After many hours of reading up I came across the term Somatoform Disorder, and I was suffering with the subtype, known as Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder.  

Further reading up on this has helped tremendously and also answered some questions relating to how I handle situations with life in general. I now take about 5-10 minutes out each day to practice shallow nose breathing and for around 30 minutes per day I simply relax, listen to music or read. Doing these simple things has helped a lot!

So it turns out I was ill but not in the way I had 'imagined' ...pardon the pun! lol

Hi Everybody,

I also have all the above symptoms from last three months. I am afraid now. An year back I got my right kidney also removed due to septicemia. I hope this is not the side effect of all the antibiotics and drugs that I had during and post my surgery. I have pain on the right side of my neck/jaw/under ear area but there is no lump.
Hi, Im only 12 and i have this i went to sleep 4 days ago then when i woke up in the morning i had pains in my neck and left ear whenever i swallow and now 2 days ago i got these bumps on either side of my neck and they only hurt when i touch them i also have a sore throat and cannot speak loude ndd whenever i talk i feel like im straining my voice im really worried because when i researched this some people stayed in this condition for 5 years ! i sing along in choirs and also sing solos in school and im hoping to audition for the brits school but this is majourly affecting my singing and im really worried and dont know what to do

does anyone know what this is?,how to treat it? or explain what it actually is
many thanks, :)
i had similar pains too had a pain in swallowing theres a lump at my neck is it the growth of adam's apple? lol its just something werid and had never experienced before
Yes, I thinks you should see another ENT. but first you think positive and have patience. You should take a test and consult any other doctor. .
I have pain on the right side of my neck when I swallow when my head is turned to the left.  Also sore when touching it. I googled and came across this regarding tight neck muscles.  Already started to feel relief, but I think it needs to be repeated.  Hope this is helpful.

You have tight neck muscles causing that pain for when your neck muscles are tight they end up restricting everything inside your throat as well. The muscles on your left side are tighter than the ones on your right side to cause the pain there. To get rid of that pain you have to free up the muscles in your neck and here's how to do that:
Neck
Put your hands alongside your head so your thumbs are on the front of the muscle under your ear and your fingers are on the back of the muscle behind your neck. Squeeze your thumb and fingers together and hold. Relax your body. When your fingers and thumb touch, about two minutes, slowly lower your head as far as you can, release the pressure but hold your neck lowered for another 30 seconds.
For best results relax your body first by taking a deep breath and exhaling then remain this relaxed.
The above was in response to this post:  i woke up one day and my neck hurt when i turned my head to the rigth (the left side of my neck hurts) i figured i had slept on it wrong but this is now the 4th day with the pain and it is getting worse. now it hurts when i swallow. ive taken vicoden, miscle relaxers, tylenol heating pad and nothing is working. can anyone tell me what this sounds like? i dont want to go to med express until im all out of options bheause i dont have insurance. thanks in advance!

Neck
i have a pain just below my adam's apple from last one and half month. i thought it might be a becterial infection , so i took arithromycin after i tried with homeo pathy, it seems reduced , but not completely healed . i some times feel my throat full but saw no lumps there. i m very worried , please guide .
I have a pain in the left side of my throat and have difficulty swallowing. I recently finally quit smoking at all a couple of weeks ago but this condition does not feel any better yet. It is also increasingly aggravated when I drink alcohol. Im 34 and smoked on and off and pretty consistently since I was 15. Hoping I dont have cancer and was wondering if anybody has had any similar stories maybe while they were smoking and then afterwards. Im hoping it will go away with time but pretty concerned. I actually had an upper endoscopy done in January and they said nothing was there but that they could only go down my esophogus, not whole throat, when I swallow saliva is when I notice it, like something isnt right and its kind of a nagging irritation. Any feedback would be appreciated. I accidently let my insurance lapse and just got a new plan but it doesnt cover pre existing so Im afraid to get an ex ray and also wondering what I might be able to say so that they dont label it pre existing on my new plan if I do go get checked out. Thanks alot and God bless,
I web to the dr. For similar situation. My lymph nodes were not swollen but had an intense pain under chin and left side of jaw. I have been on antibiotics for other issues. But now on another antibiotic for what the doc said was an infection of my salivary glands. Told me to wait 72 hours and let him know if it hasn't changed. It's 48 hours and still no change. I hope that it's just the salivary glands and nothing worse.
My stabbing pain in my throat is somewhere inside my throat, behind the Adams apple and up right to it. When on the left side, it's like there is just "something there". It may be felt inside my torso as well.

I've been checked with MR, CT, X-ray (swallowing contrast), ENT-specialist. Nothing wrong or no solution has been found.

These pharmaseyticas has been tried:
* paracetamol, Voltaren - no effect
* Tramadol - no effect
* "Neuroleptica" (Risperdal, Zeroquel, Zoloft and Valium) - no effect
* Somac - no effect
* Mycostatin - no effect

My last ENT-doctors is now checking a "tissue-sample" (sorry bad English - I'm Norwegian) from my tongue. And because I prayed for something he gave me Mycostatin as a hypothesis of fungus on tongue (has not worked / given any progress, except better when few minutes after the "3 times a day" treatment).

Me to, have suspected problems with pinched nerves, since I have "disc-desease" in C6/C6/C7, and found that Glossopharyngeal neuralgia has similas symptoms, but the MR of back/neck of 2011 july shows "no compression toward medulla spinalis". I don't no...

TODAY I'm trying not to swallow my own spit, because I found someone asking if it's possible to be allergic against on own spit/salliva. (http://www.allergy-guru.com/can-people-really-be-allergic-to-spit-and-saliva/)
WELL, BY THE TIME I HAVE NO PAIN...!!! But, can I live a life without swallowing my own spit???

God, let there be someone who finds out of this. I've been sick-leaved from work now for 9 months (since May 2011).

I don't function - I'm invalidated :(
Hi, I am new to this forum, and glad to see I too, am not the only one.

I have had this mild pain and awkward feeling in the right side of my throat when swallowing.
It started back, 6 months ago when I got bad laryngitis and sinus infection. My throat seemed to be swollen and I had a lot of post-nasal drip. It came and went as I got better and would get sick again (got sick a few times over the winter as I caught stuff from my son who was in daycare). Now I have focussed on it obsessively and it seems like the more I think about it, the more it is there.
Also, if I am totally distracted - like doing something fun, or visiting people - where you are constantly engaged - I don't seem to notice it, or it even goes away.
I am wondering if this is stress-related, because I've had a lot of that lately...Also helps when I have a glass of wine.
One more thing, I have 2 twisted vertibrae (c2 and c5 in my neck) - might it be that?
dude if its a viral infection amoxicillan will do nothing....and red meat? is this a joke?
I've found the direct cause for my pain related to swallow saliva while mouth full of food or drink give pain relieve or produce no pain. (I posted here in March. In June I found the mechanism).

After all kinds of excaminations of my throat showing "no asymmetri - no pathologie" I concluded: - The only painfull thing invisible on "pictures" is air or air-pressure. (Yes, it sounds ridicolous, but I've found my "cure").

The logic/mechanism:
While swallowing it's air in the mouth. (The less "mass" the more air, which explains why swallowing mouthfuls of drink/food shortly gives relieve). Not all the air should go down while swallowing. Some of it shall elevate to the channels from the naso-swallow to the ears (the eustachian tubes).

Why it hurts:
If air doesn't elevate to the eustachian tubes and ears, it's pressed down while swallowing. The swallow misunderstand the large amount of air for being food or drink and starts fighting pressing it towards the stomach. Strugling muscles are wery-wery painful and the throat is one of the most sensitive parts of the body.

The sollution:
Try to make the eustachian tubes open. I succeded in using a neti-pot and Vasalvas manouver.

(DO NOT FORCEFULLY PRESS WATER INTO YOUR TUBES. It may cause you a lot of problems: barotrauma, ringing and aching head)

End-frase...
I can't understand why my eustachian tubes stopped opening while swallowing. I can't understand why I haven't had any ear-problems while this has been a problem. Why me...?

Before this struck me, I remember doing some snorkling and having swine-flue one and a half years earlier. I took flue-vaccine half-a-year before. I was on holiday bathing, sauna with ice-bathing two months before. (No one else on the trip got any problems).

X-ray of my neck show problems, but not on C4 where the nerve-strings to the eustachian tube are close. I was over-loaded by work and private matters at the time, and one GP means that may have caused the eustachian tube dysfunction, but he can't explain why they stopped elevate air.

Because I worked so much, my diet was not good. I was so exhausted from work I had to eat chockolate to keep it going sometimes. I had just changed work and moved 120 kilometer from coast to in-land country. The road to work is over a hill, and everytime passing there, my ears had to pop. (But I don't know anyone else driving that road having problems as mine).

So, please, if you're experiencing the same problems as I and get relieve by the eustachian tubes again opening while swallowing, write if you've had any similar experiences to mine or any other special things happening, that may explain why we got into this "condition" in the first place.
i have been experiencing the same problem for about 4 to 5 month. I need solution, from this forum. Because i dont believe in doctors now a days.
(Unexplained Swallowing-/throat pain without fever)

Clean your nose with salt/water-sollution. (As if you had a cold).Pour it in and try GENTLY to press a bit water into the openings of your eustachian tubes. (Valsalvas manoevre). BE GENTLE otherwise you ruin your ears.

After you may hear sticky-noise while swallowing. It's annoying, but nothing compared to the swallowing pain.

Please, do tips me if it works for you as well.
I also have same problem but on left side.I think i had similar episodes in past.i have slight cough too.I took amoxycillin for a week but no improvement.I am planning to visit ENT doctor next week.
I have pain on left side off and on.   Bad tonight so I'am drinking some hot tea.  I have had this for about 5 months and noticed it when I had the flu / possible viral infection.  Many, many doctor visits with antibiotics and still happens.  Have gone to Chiropractor for the past 3 weeks and she said I seem to be pinching a nerve,  then she adjust me.  Now I also get something that I have not seen mentioned here.  I get dizzy or feel like I'am in a bubble or unfocused.  Like others dry swallow in bad with even clicking noise at times when my mouth is dry.  Water and food feels better but I would love to get this resolved.  Thanks.
I'm very relieved to find that I'm not the only one experiencing this.  I've had this for 2 months now.  I don't smoke or drink anymore as of 5 years ago, but still I was very frightened of the unspeakable.

It started after I went snowboarding and I noticed pain when swallowing on the drive home.  No pain when swallowing food or liquid, only when swallowing dry or saliva.  I wear a helmet and tend to keep the chin-strap tight, which may have been a factor in causing the initial stress/injury.

Another possible factor is I have Tourette Syndrome, and one of my "tics" is that I tense up my throat hard over and over if I'm not paying attention to my body.  This is especially common for me during stressful moments.  

I believe that while I was snowboarding and performing major physical exertion, I must have been tensing up my throat at some point.  As many others have reported, the pain is on the right side just below the adams apple.  I have no palpable or visible lumps.  Some days the pain is quite bad and other days I barely notice it.

I am trying a number of relaxation techniques to attempt to "de-stress" my throat and see if that helps any.  Good luck to everyone with this strange problem.
Been having similar problems for over three years off and on feels like a lump near the back of my throat on right side when swallowing sometimes i cant even stand for my shirt to touch my neck.Gets way worse with stress . Been to the doc more than once no luck said its probably acid related  .
I've had a "lump" in my throat for approximately four months now.  I've been to see an ENT specialist and apparently I have a possible cyst in my throat diagnosed by inserting the small camera up through my nose and down my throat, I have to go back to her to have a full examination under general anaesthetic and a biopsy taken. Hopefully it can then be dealt with.  I'm really nearvous in case it's something more sinister than a simple cyst.
My throat has been in pain for a few weeks now, and I'm wondering if it's the result of vocal overuse or strain.  Many symptoms that I'm reading here match those of vocal disorders such as Benign Vocal Cord Lesions or Vocal Granuloma.

Might be worth checking into...

Hi. All,I same situation now, sore throat, irritation, hard swallow saliva, now also body cold and hot. can't eat, when drinking water suddenly will split out also pain too.  Can anyone let me know, what should I do.

Thanks.
I've had this throat pain twice now , for a four month period last year , and for the last six months until now,  unexplained pain which is pretty much constant on the right side of my throat and varying in intensity from almost nothing to feeling like my Adam's apple will explode .., but can't seem to put my finger on exactly where the pain is . Seems like it could be anywhere between my ear and  the base of the neck just above the collar bone.
One thing I had worked out is that when it was particularly bad , performing the valsava maneuver did give me temporary relief , which has led me to believe it is in some way linked to a eustacian tube problem , however doctors scoffed at me when I suggested this and said my ears were clear.
Today throat was quite bad and after stumbling upon this discussion I have just tried your salt water version and after stinging like hell for a few minutes my throat pain has vanished and that's been an hour now . So here's hoping.
Thanks !
Rob