Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen face

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swollen face

On Thursday my husband woke up with what we thought was a severe tooth ache.  He suffered through Friday and on Saturday I had the dentist call in some antibiotics and Vicodin (he was in severe pain).  Sunday woke up and he pain was a little better but not gone. Today(Monday) he woke up in severe pain again. The tooth pain is on the left, but the right side of his neck all the way up behind his ear was very swollen and tender.  We went to the dentist today and the dentist said its not a tooth problem.  And he needed to see an ENT. anyone have any idea what this could be?  The left side of his face is also swollen too...
Tags: Swollen pain face neck
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

I certainly think seeing an ENT is a good idea.  Infected tooth roots from the upper teeth can go inside the maxillary sinus and cause sinusitis. The swelling could be due to this infection or due to the lymph nodes. He might need a CT of the sinuses for more information.  However, if he does have an infected tooth, he will still need to have this addressed as dental infections can be potentially life-threatening.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.