Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Terrible Headaches w/ sinus cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Terrible Headaches w/ sinus cyst

I have been suffering w/ a terrible headache for three weeks.  I spent the last week in the hospital and doctors found all teswt (CT, MRA, MRI and bloodwork) to be normal.  I have neck pain, vision and hearing problems, dizziness, numbness and tigling in the left side.  I went to my PC and he said they did see a cyst in my sinus cavity.  I knew it was there because of prior scans, but was told it was not a big deal.  He said I sould see an ENT.  I did last year and was told to use nose sprays to dry it up which did not work.  Now the cyst is severe and takes up my entire left sinus cavity.  I want to take all my scans to my ENT (which I have an appt with next week) and say I am miserable and here is why when can you remove this?!  I feel it has been this sinus issue that has plagued me for years.  My question is am I over reacting?  Should I rush surgery or wait?  My headaches are still prestent and cannot be tollerated without barbituates or narcotics.  I don't want to take these foever.  Please help!!
OMG - I have cysts in my maxillary sinus and have been quite unwell for 6 months. I have heaps of symptoms but they include the ones you've mentioned: neck pain, vision and hearing problems (although they're ok apparently), dizziness/vertigo, numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes (mostly on left side). I can't believe it's taking up the whole left sinus cavity!!! If it were me I'd have the surgery immediately - if I could get mine removed I would! I have yet to see an ENT (Dec) and am going to a Neuro next month for those and other symptoms.
Keep me informed!
I can't believe that I was able to find this sight and your posts.  I am having all of the same symptoms that you mention, but my right side is numb instead of my left.  I also had an MRI and they found that I had sinusitis and a sinuscyst.  I was convinced I had had a stroke or M.S.  Is it possible that this cysts is really causing all of those problems?  I have to say that I truly hope so, and if so, I will gladly have it removed.  
I notice that these were posted in Oct 2007.  Have you since had the cysts removed and what was the outcome of all of your tests?
Hi there,

I'm glad you found the site too! I didn't get my cysts removed - I was told to 'blast it' with antibiotics and a steroid nasal spray (Nasonex - one of the best apparently), which I did and it seemed to work. However I was really ill for 9 months (April-Dec) and am still battling to get there some days. A lot of my symptoms have disappeared. I am still left with memory problems, fatigue (although not as bad) and hearing problems.

I never did get to that ENT - they cancelled my appointment and so I never made another one. I did go to the Neurologist and he was not impressed with me. He did send me for the MRI which came up clear for any bad stuff, which he figured it would.

I'm now having more problems with my Endometriosis and am having surgery for that in September.

Let me know how you go and what your doctors say. If your doctor says the cysts could be removed, defnitely do it! It'll save months of problems!

Mel :-)

My daughter is 13 and for the past 2 1/2 weeks she's been having very bad migraines. It was on the top of her head and has since moved to the forehead. She's missed alot of school due to not being able to focus and getting nauseated. She had an xray on her head and it showed a cyst in her left sinus. We have an appointment at the ENT specialist for the cyst and her doctor is trying to get her in to the neurologist but he is out of town till monday. In the meantime, she is miserable. I don't know what else to do. I was going to try to take her to the ER in hopes of getting a CT scan. Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much in advance.
Lets get this aligned. She is 13 and has a headache (?"migraines") for two and half weeks. The headache started in the 'top' of the head and has moved to the forehead. Had some problem with vision (focusing), and had nausea and hence has missed school.

The headache has to be evaluated first by an Eye specialist.

A cyst (you said in the left sinus; may be maxillary sinus) is not an unusual finding in sinus X-rays and may not be responsible for the headache.

Best rgds,
Thomas Antony
hey y'all... wow, very interesting. Making a long story short. It is believed that i was bitten by a tick 7 years ago. I have had sinus issues (infections, allergies, fatigue, ear problems, etc.) for the past couple of year. approx. 4 years. I have been going through test after test, CT scan, MRI's (of my head and spine) and many and i mean MANY blood tests. I have seen A Neurologist, Nerve Specialist, Lyme Literate MD and in two weeks a ENT (this will be my 2nd ENT that i will be seeing). Through my MRI they found both of my maxillary sinus' have cycts. My Lyme doctor believes alot of my head symptoms including, ear pain, head aches, jaw pain, red eyes, vision problems are due to these sinus cysts. He also believes the Lyme infection is the cause of these cysts.  Im not sure if they are going to want to remove them, but i have tried everything from nasonex to antibiotics for treatment. I want to hear if anyone has had them removed and if it has been sucessful for them.
Wow I finaly found others that are having problems with cysts.  Listen to my story.  I have had sinus surgery 3 times now for rt side sinus cysts.  There were multiple cysts covering my entire cavity.  Excrutiating facial pain, headaches,nausea,ear pain only on R side of head.  They have returned every time I had surgery.  Now I know I have it again.  I am desperate and at my wits end.  I have spent thousands and my insurance won't cover it anymore!!  I have been treated with antibiotics, nasonex, sinus meds that wire you but do no good.  These doctors don't know nothing.  They don't know why I have them or why they keep coming back.  Recently I've been getting tingling in my fingers and toes.
  I am now seeing a Holistic Doctor.  He is trying to get to the bottom of it.  He feels it may be an immune system problem.   I am going through tests presently.  All I know is my hormones are out of whack.
I hope I can help someone else if I find out what is going on.
I also know these surgeons don't know anything.  The first surgeon I went to said alot of people are walking around with them, asymptomatic.  I don't believe it.  It all started with a terrible sinusitis, then the headaches. How could you not have symptoms!!!
I'm so happy to have found this post...I was starting to think I was going crazy. I have been having bad headaches off and on all year, but for the past month they have been severe. They were starting in my eye/sinus area, and I would get pain in my neck, nauseous, dizzy to the point of fall down, and migraine symptoms (sensitive to light). I have been to the doctor so many times and no medications are working, they have tried every migraine medication they can think of, Tylenol 3, etc. nothing works to take away the pain. I just have to sleep so I don't feel it. I recently had a ct scan done and they said I have a sinus cyst, but its nothing to worry about. Is this what is causing all of the pain?! I cannot operator with this pain and I need to work and go about my normal routines. Has anyone found anything else out, as these doctors seem like they don't believe me and I know that I am still in a lot of pain.
I cannot add much to the list of symptoms found here.  but i can confirm for many of you that these are real symptoms.  i started having ear pain and problems with my hearing almost 2 years ago.  Over time the symptoms have increased to include headaches, memory loss, loss of concentration, and most recently migraine like symptoms of dizziness and nausia.  i stumbled and fell recently and could not regain my balance so i finally put all these symptoms together for a trip to the doctor.  She did an eeg and a ct scan to check for epileptic seizures.  the results were startling to me.  I have not had any significant problems with sinus or allergy suffering.  however, she told me the tests showed significant thickening of my sinus walls as well as polyps and cysts.  I was suprised to find that all of these symptoms were the result of inflammation and infection in the sinuses.  i am starting antibiotics and nasal spray today and hope that over time I will have some relief from these symptoms.  if anyone has had a success story with treatment please leave a post.  i have read alot about the suffering and little about a cure or treatment.  thanks for reading    Good luck to all with your recovery.
Two weeks ago today, I awoke with a touch of nausea, then before I knew it I vomited just a sm amt (sorry 4 being graphic :) Immediately afterward, I had a sudden severe headPAIN that brought me to my knees. This con't the next 3 mornings minus the vomiting but with a little nausea, during this 30 mins-hour long period of agony, the pain is unbearable to the point where I CAN"T be still; tossing, turning, rocking back&forth, crying out, etc etc!!! Had a CT the MD said was neg, I have appt w/ MD this Friday. Any suggestions as to what i should ask the dr?                                                                                                                                                                                              
I have a cyst in my left sinus, I have had this for 1 1/2 years I am surposed to have it removed in March. The surgery has already been cancelled once.  I was wondering if anyone has dry eyes or different eye problems?  My eyes have been very bad since I was found to have a cyst, I did not think that there was a connection.  I have also been very tired, forgetfull, I gained weight, I have numbness in my tonge and face, I find it hard to swollow and breathe at night.  I had my thyroid checked.  My doctor thought that these symptoms were not related to the cyst.  Has anyone had these symptoms, especially the dry eye?
My problems started about two years ago with a heavy feeling in my right ear, followed my a feeling of blockage and eventually definite hearing loss. Went to the Doc, they cleaned my ear, no actual blockage so this did not help, after 3 visits they refered me to an ENT. the ENT gave me some test, physical, then went to blood work and a CT scan all of which were considerd normal, they followed up with a hearing test which showed a significant difference inbetween ears for ability, IE not my imagination. He told me he did not know why and said it was maybe Menieres Disease but I wasn't suffering from Verdigo, He recommended a water pill and low salt diet. I went to see an Allergist who told me to try Alegra and Flonase, I have been on this concoction for about 9 months now and is does help is I use the max on the flownase and take two Alegra a day, so both twice a day. Recently I started haveing dizzy spells, figured I was fatigued, then sinus head aches, last week at work I got Verdigo so bad I could barely walk causing me to get dizzier and eventually get sick. They rushed me to the ER I thought I was having a stroke because my left hand got numb. I was confused and very frightened, EKG and another CT two pints of fluid, they release with with no explanation, I was feeling much better. A follow up with my GP he tells me I have what you all have , some sort of Sinus Cyst, so here I am taking Meclizine (Dramamine) for dizzy spells, pounding the Allergy meds and Steroids, waiting for an ENT visit to discuss what to do next. I will be back to post later, thanks for listening. Ken
Did your doctor tell you that the dizzy spells and the numbness were caused by the cyst?
I'm glad to find some other people dealing with some of the same things i have been dealing with. For the last 7 months I have not felt well at all. It all started with a very excruciating eye pain above and behind my left eye while driving through the mountains, ears where popping due to the altitude change. After the pain went away I had a diffuse headache that would not go away, 1st doctor i saw thought it was inflammation and put me on predneson and that did not do anything. 2nd doctor did sinus x-rays and saw fluid in my right maxillary sinus and put me on Flonase, still had the headache and starting having vision problems with both eyes. I saw my optometrist and he found nothing wrong but increased the prescription of my contacts for my right eye, and he referred me to a general physican since i did not have one yet. So i saw this doctor who also thought it was sinus related and put me on Lexapro for anxiety, Nasacort nasal spray and Augmentin (amoxicillin), well the augmentin caused an intestinal infection and colitis which i still have trouble with and the headache was still there.

I also started having tingling in my arms and legs and they would fall asleep very easily at night and would have other weird sensations, a pain in the back of me left leg, chest pains, ringing in my ears, more vision problems. I saw a cardiologist and they did an ultrasound and a bunch of other tests, a neurologist ran a nerve conduction test, and MRI and tons of blood work and did not find anything. 7 months later and a number of visits to my general physician and headache still has not gone away and now i am having numbness on the left side of my forehead the neurologist has referred me to a Rheumatologists in two days, so i picked up my records to bring to that doctor and it was the first time i was able to actually rad everything myself and saw on the MRI report that I have a 1.4cm retention cyst in my left maxillary sinus. No one has mentioned that to me before, and to me that seems like something that would cause some problems. I was terrified i had an aneurysm or MS both were negative in the MRI.  I wonder if this cyst is the source of all my problems, maybe with a little anxiety adding to the problem making everything feel worse.
Please check out NRT and Elderberry extract.....It works!!  I just got out of "Hell"-10 years, (my entire 20's), and now Im well and kicking and most of all happy, so much so I am training, while I teach HS, to be a NRT Specialist on the side.  Good Luck!!-(Elderberry shrinks tumors, cysts and polyps!)My ENT could not wrap his head around it...it totally cleared, a surgery bound sinus, up...totally clear.
Catherine
I have had headaches on my right side for 2 years, swelling and pressure in my head and especially on the right side of the forehead.  I've had swelling in my throat at the top soft area up behind my hard pallette.  I get dizzy, tired, nausiated, and it gets worse when I eat products with soy, including soybean oil and lethicin, which is not even considered an "allergy" because an allergy can only be to a "protein" not to an oil.  When I take Ibuprophen or other anti-inflamatories like salmon oil capsules I felt a lot better for 5 hours.  After many doctors thinking I was just looking for drugs, or I was imagining it, I was enough of a thorn on the doctor's side to eventually be referred to a neurologist who did a brain CT scan and found nothing, because the scan stopped at the top of the maxillary sinus!  Since I've had sinus septum surgery before, he gave me a regular X-ray of the sinuses, which showed that all sinuses were black (normal empty) except my right maxillary sinus was cloudy like the bone areas, showing possible fluid or infection.  But, he said it's probably nothing and will go away by itself.  I said my pain is on the right side, this problem is on the right side, Bingo!  I want to pursue it more!  I then got a full head MRI which showed the 2.5 cm cyst in the right maxillary.  Because my main complaint was about my headache in my forehead, and because I've always had allergies, they didn't look at my lower sinuses at first, and when they did, I got the same story about this type of issue isn't usually a problem.  I was referred to an ENT who said that 70 to 80% of people with maxillary sinus cysts don't have symptoms.  I asked what are the symptoms for those people who do have symptoms?  The only symptom is headaches!  I have undiagnosed headaches, the only thing found wrong with me is a maxillary cyst which only causes headaches, I want it removed!  Here's my thinking, if 25 out of 100 people with this cyst have headaches from it, then that means 100% of those 25 people have headaches caused by this cyst.  Since I have Both the headache and the cyst, my chances of being in that 25 are probably 90+%.  I am scheduled for surgery on March 25, 09.  Until then, I am avoiding all soy, which is a phyto-estrogen which is thought by some to cause cysts (that's why women going through menapause are no longer given hormone replacement surgery, because extra estrogen was found to cause growths in some people).
I am scheduled for surgery to remove my sinus cyst on March 11.  I find it funny that all these people have similar symptoms and all have a sinus cyst but most doctors say that the symptoms are not from the cyst.  I have discovered this cyst 2 years ago with an x-ray after a very bad sinus infection.  At the same time I had many health problems; tired, brain fog, headaches, trouble swollowing, pressure around my nose and eyes, eye problems(inflamation (inflammation), dry eyes, intolerance to contacts, change in vision), dizziness, numbness in my face and tongue, weight gain.  Every doctor I went to said that the cyst was not the cause.  I had my throid checked I even had Lasik surgery on my eyes which made things worse, I had a test for reflux. I finally gave up and just waited, I figured if they were all symptoms of a bigger problem they would just keep getting worse until the big problem was exposed, I am still waiting.  I really hope that the cyst is the big problem and all these things will improve after surgery, I am hopeful.  I will let you know cross your fingers.

Susan
I'm back from more blood work, all seems to check out fine, no the Doctors had not even told me I had the Cyst, the ENT said that the Cyst is too small to even operate on. I am scheduled for another CTSCAN to determine if it is growing, since it wasn't there last year at all. The Verdigo I was speaking of is now being diagnosed as supposedly from Calcium deposits in the Blood Vesels of the Inner ear, I am to see a Vertigo specialist in Santa Rosa to get the second opinion and to prescribe some sort of head exercise to dislodge the particals. I will keep you all posted.
Tx again for listening, Ken
PS. Good Luck, Susan.
Glad I found this site! I agree and sympathize with everyone here. My story started just before Christmas '08, came down with a very bad chest cold. From past experiences, since I was about 8-9 years old, these colds often lead to sinus infections. This one was different, I didn't get better, February 09 finally rolled around, went to the hospital, had High BP 170/100, complete weakness, dizziness (like I was gonna collapse, or faint), breathing problems, headache, diarrehia, nausea, high fever. The doctor on call ordered a Sinus X-ray right away, left side sinusitis, but there was something different the doctor couldn't explain the dark clouding of the lower sinus. Left ER with antibiotics and pain medicine.

I was finally convinced to have an CT scan done, so I contacted my GP, who agreed, middle of Feb came around, CT was done. Got the results back @ the end of Feb, 50% of right side filled with polyps/cysts, 25% on left side. I did not have this before, they developed pretty quickly, the cold from december must of caused it.

Well anyway, during this horrible period Dec08-March09:
I seen one ER doctor 3 times who said to drink chicken soup LOL, and made me feel like I was nuts, gave me some anxiety pills on last visit. A quack indeed.

I seen another one just once, did ok but gave me an out of sorts antibiotic that did absolutely nothing.

I guess it goes to show, doctors do not know everything (an old aboriginal saying "Walk in a mile in his shoes"), but there are some out there who know what they are doing, like my GP ,who I should of stuck with, and he actually went through the CT scan results with me and referred me to an ENT, he actually did believe my secondary symptoms are caused by these sinus cysts.

But anyway, I am now having the Cysts/Polyps removed through Endo, with an ENT specialist.

The symptoms you all described are real!!!  The sinus cavities effect inner ear (euschasian tube, dizziness, vertigo), throat (mucus draining into throat/burning sensation), asthma, bronchitis, headaches, neck, stomach, heart rate (blood being pumped to sinuses), teeth pain, the list can go on. SO IF ANY DOCTOR SEES THIS, UNLESS YOU GO THROUGH THE SAME PROBLEMS ,DO NOT BE SO QUICK TO DISMISS SECONDARY SYMPTOMS, IF THEY ARE NOT IN YOUR SO CALLED MEDICAL JOURNALS!!!!!!!!!
Also, all my blood work came back excellent, low cholesterol, excellent kidney, liver, heart, no diabetes etc., including stool (some mucus, which explains the cramping, nausea, diarrhea), urin (so no I am not a frickin drug/alcohol/smoker, tired of being asked by ER physicians about that LOL). Had EKG, meng, chest X-ray, neck X-ray,all done my GP came back excellent.

I did develop asthma (noticeable wheezing), and bronchitis once. On other sinus occasions led to same probs, but twice pneumonia. Also problems bending forward, and fatigue. Present include the above post, dizziness and etc.

Prescribed: Nasonex, Livostin for the eyes, saline for the nose, Alvesco, Ventolin Inhalers, anxiety pills for the dizziness/vertigo/panic attacks from this, Ear drops. All helped to control the problems, but I have serious allergy probs so some of this I been on since I was a kid.

Seen ER docs, GP, ENT, Allergist, Neurologist, Dental Surgeon.
What is wrong with your eyes?
When are you having them removed, I am having surgery wednesday.

Susan
I mean your cysts not your eyes,
I hope all is well. I am currently on day 4 of a 10-day recovery from the removal of a sinus polyp the size of a LEMON.  The polyp has been growing for years and during the entire timeI was suffering.  I have read all of the post and I experienced the same symptoms.  I was suffering so bad that I couldn't walk a flight of stairs without feeling like I was going to pass out.  About a month ago over a business lunch, I felt like I was about to fall onto the floor and my heart rate increased.  I had the restaurant manager call the ambulance, so I could  go to the closest hospital.  The emergency room doctor sent me for a CT scan and found out I had a chronic sinus blockage.  I went to the ENT specialist and he confirmed that I had a polyp.  He put me on steroids for 12 days to try and decrease the size, but it was too large.  Therefore, he removed the polyp and my breathing is 100% better on the 4th day after surgery.

My advice to anyone is to see a specialist for whatever ailment you may have.  For example, see an ENT for ANY/ALL problems related to the ear, nose, or throat.  Do not visit a primary care physician, when you can skip that step and see a specialist.  I wasted 5 years of sinus infection treatments prescribed by a primary care physician, when I should have seen an ENT even to diagnose me with a sinus infection.  I would rather for my ENT to tell me that I have a sinus infection, than my primary care physician.

The sinus problems we are experiencing is CRITICAL to our overall health.  DO NOT ignore the signs.  See a specialist immediately, so you can be on your road to recovery.

God bless you all,
Nicole
Hey all,

Well back from another Hospital visit tonite, my surgery is in April '09.

I found out that sinus blockages cause post nasal drip which are bacterial and pass onto the lungs. Bam! Pneunomia once again in the left lung LOL..

I found other interesting facts, if you are allergic to Aspirin, Have Asthma, and Allergies, these 3 conditions make you more prone to developing Sinus Cysts/Polyps.

I have lived with this condition all of my life, so I am begining to understand the mechanics of this disease within my own body.

I totally agree with Nicole see an ENT specialist at all times, they understand the upper respitory system along with other things better than a regular doctor, hence the name GP.

Here is what I all found out:

Sinus if infected or blocked can cause secondary infections, either both at the same time of the infection or seperate (worst case scenerios/least):

Mengitis
Teeth Abcess (abscess)
Pneumonia
Asthma
Bronchitis
Strep Throat
Increased BP
Sleep Apnea-leads to fatigue, but can also be from pneumonia
Facial Swelling
Eye problems- itching, redness, swelling, vision problems
Brain - usually from mengitis
Ear - dizziness (could also be from fatigue or pneumonia), inner ear
Fainting
Panic Attacks
Stomach problems - mucus build up (diarrehia, vomiting, nausea)
Sinus Headaches - often misdiagnosed as migraines

The list goes on, in a nutshell, bacterial sinusitis is the main cause, but viral/fungi can cause some secondary symptoms.

Main message, be sure to tell the ENT/GP all your symptoms, you may have a secondary symptom going on such as pneumonia, be very very careful,

Always see your Health Care Professional, do not treat on your own!!!! especially with bacteria, very very dangerous, a saline solution will not CURE...

Hope this helps,
G=Day :)))))))))

oh wow, i am so glad i found this page.
my boyfriend had an x-ray done on his face and they found a 2cmx2.5cm white spot in his right sinus. he is suffering from headache and eye problems for a few years now. the doctor refered him to a ENT next week. i am freaking out about the results! what if its not a cyst?!
i wish you all the best!
Had my 2.5 cm right maxillary cyst taken care of on Wed.  It was not removed because that would have meant cutting in between the cheek and gum.  Instead he used a scope to go up through the nose to puncture it and then drain the cyst.  Now the rest should die and dissintegrate. The only painful part was the 3 sprays of nose spray 5 minutes apart followed by 3 sprays of ephedrine and cocaine before I was put under.  The second mixure Burns for 12 hours until is wears off.  The surgery itself hurt no more than a nose bleed.  At 1 a.m. when the cocaine stuff wore off, my sinuses stopped burning and I felt almost no pain from the surgery.  Now my migraines are gone!!!  It's Mon. and I'm back at work feeling better than I did before the surgery.    For a couple days after the surgery I felt fine sitting but when I tried to walk I had no ballance, I kept falling to the left.   The opposite side of my head felt pressure, or depressurization actually, for a few days, as my head adjusted to the change in pressue, or depressure.  I felt some dizziness on the opposite size, my opposite ear lost its hearing once and then it quickly come back, I could feel the pressure reballencing for the first few days.  
    I haven't taken any drugs today and I'm at work doing great now, feeling like I used to feel only when I was on antiinflamatory meds before.  Every time I breathe in now it feels like cold air is going into my right maxillary and cooling the blood in my head before it travels up my right side to my temple and forehead.  Before my forehead was hot and throbbed, now it feels like I have a cool compress on it all the time just by breathing in.  No pressure, no heat, no pounding.  It feels like the maxillary sinus is there to aircondition the brain, and when that function doesn't work then certain parts of the brain over-heat and you have problems.
     Bottom line, I'm so glad I had the cyst drained, it was causing my problems, don't let the doctor tell you it's nothing if you are already having problems.  It might be nothing for some people, or for most people, but if you have undiagnosed problems, this could be why for you!
Thanks for your post.  I have had pain and pressure between my eyes / forehead, with accompanying headaches, for almost two years now.  My docs have generally insisted that my ethmoid sinus cysts have nothing to do with it . . . yet they can't find any other cause.  I am contemplating having the cysts removed (or drained, etc.) but haven't been able to get any certainty on whether they are truly causing my symptoms.
I'm happy to have found you all.  I have been many of same symptoms as you all.  I had a MRI done in October and was told all was well although there was a sinus cyst ( right side) but nothing to worry about.  I actually forgot about it until I read your posts.  I feel like I have had left ear hearing loss (like something is clogging my ear).  My GP says she sees nothing wrong.  About 2 months ago, had a migrane (migraine) with blurred and double vision and facial and left arm/hand numbness.  Had many test and all come out ok.  I have called the hospital and asked for copies of my MRI records and will pursue seeing a ENT.  How is everyone doing since they had cyst removal?
Hi all...I was checking out this site, since I have had headaches for a year now. Saw ENT 2 times...had an MRI(normal) and just had a CAT scan. This showed I had a nasak cyst..which also showed up 2 years ago.BUT..the AT scan showed that I have Eagle's Syndrome...a very rare disirder. I see my neurologist next week to discuss blood tests...and the ENT in 3 weeks to see about the Eagle's syndrome...something to do with an elongated ligament or bone???This all started with several sinus infections that would not go away...the headaches are at least 2 times a day..but not sure how how these things relate to my puffy eyes and pressues under my eyes..all the time and my tiresdness..Has anyone had theses symptoms? Thanks..Penny
It's been one month since my cyst was scoped and drained and I'm still doing much better.  I'm not lethargic all the time, don't feel like I'm under water, no pressure in my head or temple-headaches, doesn't hurt to move my eyes, no longer depressed - now I just have normal good and bad days like anyone else instead of bad days all the time for no reason.  I can still get some pressure in my head when I eat soy products, since I'm allergic, but by removing the cyst I can now eat some and get away with it, as if there's room for some swelling now without pushing on my brain as much.  Glad I had the procedure, definitely worth it.
Like so many others, I am so happy I found this site.  My symptoms have not been as bad as some of yours, but they are very similar.

Headaches - often specifically in the back, right side of my head
Frequent sinus infections - I'm on my 5th one in the past 8 months
Odd drainage issues - I can only breath out of one nostril clearly.  If I want to breath out of the other one, I need to lay on the opposite side to let things move over.
Asthma - very mild, Advair keeps any symptoms from occurring
High blood pressure - I may not be the healthiest woman in the world, but even on amlodipine and water pills my bp can't seem to get any lower than 120/80.
Facial pain - most recent symptom, first happened just this past Monday  night.  It felt like someone punched me in the nose.

I went to an ENT this past Tuesday.  He put a small camera in my nose and said there was a lot of swelling and discharge and put me on Amoxicillian for the next 2 weeks.  He also ordered a CT after I'm finished with the antibiotics.

Well yesterday, I woke up with the most excruciating headache I've ever had.  My PC doc ruled out a migraine because I had no nausea and lights were not affecting me.  My BP yesterday was at one point 180/140 and they couldn't tell if it was high because of the headache or the other way around.  They ordered a brain CT to rule out anything there that could be causing either one.

Luckily, the CT showed nothing in my brain (thank GOD!), but they did say that there was a cyst in my right sinus.  I'm not sure how large it is, but they said they would forward everything to my ENT.

My ENT was in surgery all day, but his nurse did say that they would probably cancel my other CT since this one got some sinus results.  I'll *hopefully* hear from him tomorrow morning.  Until then, I've been googling this stuff and finding very informative sites like this!

I would like to avoid surgery if possible, and it sounds like many people have had the cysts come back after surgery - and I definitely don't want that to happen.  But at the same time, if this could be related to my asthma, high BP and frequent sinus infections, I could have such a happier life without all of that.  Did I mention the ENT also said I have a deviated septum?  I wonder if that along with the cyst will encourage him to operate.  I read the other night that deviated septums can also cause frequent sinus infections.

I will come back here and post what the ENT's treatment recommendation is and let you guys know what happens.
Hi,Susant8 !
I'm glad,I can ask you:how do you feel after the surgery?
I have almost the same symptoms for 10 years. And  last 2 years it is became worse.
Finaly CT shows the right frontal sinus polyp/cyst.
I am so glad to have found this site.  Since mid-March, I too have been suffering from severe headaches daily.  I have been missing alot of work and have been sleeping alot.  I have been to chiropractors, massage therapists, primary care physician, neuroligist and ENT.  My neurologist has diagnosed me with chronic migraines.  I have had a head ct done which was clear and my neurologist ordered a MRI which showed problems in my left maxillary sinus cavity.  I went to the ENT yesterday and was told that my entire left maxillary cavity has a cyst in it and my right maxillary cavity has a small cyst in it.  the ENT put me on antibiotic for 20 days to see if the headaches subside and if they do then he will remove the cysts but if they do not subside then he will not remove them because I am not having any breathing, drainage, etc problems.  I am experiencing left jaw pain, pain with eye movement, lathergy, severe daily headaches in the back of my head.  I just want to feel better and be back to normal.
i just got told i have a cyst in my left side sinius cavitiy in my head i am so afraid can i die from this?
mamaofboyandgirl if the other treatments do not remove the cyst then Insist that the cysts at least be drained using a scope.  If the Dr. says no then find another Dr.  The scope goes in through the nose and recovery is 3 days.  If it can't be scoped then the surgery is needed.  Yes I wrote 'needed'.    fordbaby18 read the post before yours to see what can happen, no you won't die from it, but her description is right on and it's absolutely miserable and life-affecting.  After draining or removing the cyst you will feel like a new person again.
so my doctors told me i have this cyst but told me not to worrie about it? should i ? i have read all your stories on it and i think i should get a new doctor my symptoms are really bad everytime i stand up i get dizzy i have bad stabbing pains in my chest and back pains as well i have bad migrains all day take meds they get worse i also have bad nausa all day as well what should i do ? any sugguestions please let me know
My problems are recent and came on literally overnight with a crippling headache that no meds could stop, and I live in Thailand where we have access to just about any med you can imagine, and a few you can't.

I started with general doctors, no use. Then to a ENT who gave me a CT scan and told me I had a cyst in my sinus, it was no big deal, gave me nasal spray and said it was impossible that this cyst was causing my extreme headaches.

The very next day the entire right side of my face began hurting. My cheek, behind my eye, my teeth, it feels like it's all swollen.

I went to another ENT and took my CT scan with me. He gave me an MRI, got a better look at the cyst and again said it's no big deal. Gave me some more meds, they don't help the pain they only put me to sleep, and told me to come back in 6 months for another MRI to see if it has grown.

In the meantime, I'm crippled. I can't work, can't focus, memory is bad, gaining weight, and generally am a mess. I can't wait 6 months.

Being in Thailand we do have access to any sort of doctor at cheap rates, so I'm going to see one more ENT before demanding to have it drained or removed.

I sympathize with all of you because I know how bad this hurts, and the frustration from the doctors dismissing this as serious.

If I am able to get this out quickly and it takes care of it, I will let all of you know. If so, and your insurance will not cover your problems, I do suggest heading to Bangkok. I've seen a total of 8 doctors, 2 of which are ENT and 2 were neurologists. With medicine included, I've spent under $800 out of my own pocket with NO wait time. Surgery probably wouldn't cost more than another $500 - $1000 I'm guessing. If you knew exactly what the problem is, you could bring your MRI and CT scans, could see 1 ENT and 1 neurologist and then push to have it removed, saving you a ton of money. You would pay only around $100 total to see them BOTH! Your biggest expense will be the plane ticket here, about $1200 from the USA if you shop around.

I'm not insured so I'm paying all of this out of my pocket. It helps that I live here, but medical is cheap as are meds.

Best of luck to all of you!
I am having the exact same issue! i have had my cyst since 07 when it first showed up on CT scan. about a year ago i started having all the same symptoms as you guys... i just got an appt with my doc today and had another CT scan done... the cyst has grown to cover a little over half of my right sinus cavity.... i am trying to schedule surgery to have it removed before school starts... wish me luck!
I have been experiencing facial numbness and pain on the left side including numbness that radiates down my left arm as well as tongue numbness and neck pain.  Additionally, I have been experiencing visual disturbances to include eye pain and blurred vision.  I was seeing a chiropractor because I believed, I had a pinched nerve in my neck.  Finally one day at work, the numbness became so bad, I called my family doc.  He told me to come in right away.  He sent me for an mri (looking for tumors, stroke or possible ms) and found nothing with the exception of multiple maxillary sinus cysts, one that is extremely large.  I have been on nasal spray for a couple of weeks with no relief, and have an ENT appt next week.  Not sure if there is any relation, but I have had troube with my left ear since I was 18 years old, resulting in a permanent ear tube.  The strange thing is that my symptoms do not occur everyday.  I can have two days of no symptoms and then a day where I feel horrible.  Everything I have looked at online with the exception of this site, would lead me to believe that there is no correlation to the cysts, but I now believe otherwise.
the ear pain may just in fact be related to your maxillary cysts. i just had surgery on wed the 19th for maxillary cyst removal and my sinuses were sooo infected it was ridiculous. they say that the pain you experience with your cyst problem pre-surgery is what you can expect to experience post-surgery. the pain i have experienced since the surgery has been mostly concentrated to my face and bridge of my nose... however, i have had slight twinges of pain in bothe of my ears. i get a sort of throbbing but not throbbing pain... kinda hard to explain but it lasts a while then dissipates... then comes back and goes again. my post-op is scheduled for sept 4th but i had such bad infection i called and asked for more antibiotics. my cysts had big puss pockets all around them and were covering almost 70 percent of my right sinus cavity... i got worried about all the stuff that was coming out of my nose and draining to my throat... i was also having ear pain and blurred vision.. the ear pain could also be caused simply because your sinuses are so inflamed like mine were or you could be more susceptible to a constant ear infection because of a bad infection from the cysts. the first time i got sick and started thinkin i may hafta go see my ent was last november. i got sick probably around mid november and stayed sick until my birthday in april of this year. i had a severe sinus infection and chronic bronchitis.... all of this was caused by the cysts... i stayed on antibiotics(different ones mind you) for 24 days and i was well for about 3 days before i got sick again. i honestly before the surgery did not understand that so many problems could be caused by just a few sinus cysts. it seems horrible to think that all this pain you and i and millions of others have endured is all caused by something minute. i understand a lot more about symptoms and looking for signs. i wasnt sleeping at night for about the past 6 months before my surgery. the dr said it was because i wasnt breathing well. i thought i was breathing fine but apparently when you sleep and everything slows down it is harder for you to get air when ur passageways are so blocked. i think that if your ent believes you need surgery... GO FOR IT!! mine told me it would be a month before i see any real differences, with the anesthesia and pain meds and antibiotics the first couple weeks are gunna be hard, but it will all be worth it. i am 10 days post surgery and i still have pain everywhere occassionally or even all the time and i havent been sleeping very well... i can't smell or taste much or blow my nose.....but you know im already in a lot less pain now than i was before so i think that it is an improvement! i definitely think all your pain and numbness could be related to these cysts, because mine was... hope this helps! Good Luck!
Wow. This is amazing. After looking and looking and looking I finally found a site with people with the same "rare" condition as me! Like others here, I am so glad to have found you!

Let me start at the begining, I have had horrible dental issues my entire life, part bad genetics and part not being taught how to care for me teeth at a young age. I have spent the past few years going through numerous dental procedures to fix these problems. I am 23 years old. When I was 20 and pregnant with my daughter I noticed a bump at the top of my gums on my left side, I asssumed it was an abcess (abscess) and told my dentist about it. He reccomended that we wait until I gave birth and they we would do x-rays, but that since it wasn't hurting me, I should be OK. Shortly after the birth of my daughter I moved and more or less forgot about my "bump".

Two months ago, I began experiencing severe pain on all four of my top back teeth, and my jaw. I went to a new dentist and they did a panaromic xray, he found a large mass in my left sinus, directly above those 4 teeth and refused to do any procedure until we knew what this unexplained mass was. I went to an ENT and had a CT done. The pain subsided a little. My ENT was very sure that this was NOT a polyp or an abcess (abscess). He said it was a bony mass of some sort and sent me for the CT. I just got back the films from the CT and WOW! This thing is HUGE! it takes up almost my entire left sinus cavity. The offical report states that this mass is either a "cyst/polyp" so deduce with what my ENT Doc has already said and I know its a cyst, My concern is can this be cancerous? I have two small children and I am young and healthy, for the most part. I am trying not to worry until I know for sure there is something to worry about...but in the meantime, this is driving me crazy! lol I see my ENT on tuesday and I am really hoping I cant just get this thing removed. I dont want it in my body anymore! I've suffered from migranes (migraines) for years, but I dont think the two are connected. I have been getting dizzy, but again, just figured that was some other weird thing.... my ONLY symptom is the pain in my jaw and teeth, and this giant thing growing in there!.
I am so glad i'm not the only one with this issue, well i'm not even sure if this is what I have about 4 months ago I felt like I had the flu but a really bad ear ache. Really itchy and draining this gross clear fluid. I got ear drops that same day. The next morning I woke up finding my vision was totally blurred. It stayed that way for 2 months. The doctors (GP, Neuro and many eye doctors) said that I had an infection in the main artery going to my eye. Anyways it cleared up for the most part after missing almost 2 months of work. Been back to work for a month or so and my son came home from his daycare with a cold and sure enough I got his cold. And then I lost vision again in my right eye. Went back to my GP today cause all my other doctors are on holidays (in cold and flu season smart! lol)

I did get a few head aches but I thought it was because my left eye was doing all the work. My right eye is even a bit lazy right now.

Has anyone had any mood swings or anything like that?

Trish
I actually had a MRI done as well as a spinal tap and it all came back normal. And today since I went back to my GP he looked over my MRI again today and said he seen cysts in my sinuses.

I never did get sick or anything. Well the spinal tap was horrible WORST test ever..

Trish
I have had the same problems starting after a root canal nearly 5 years ago. I recently had the root canaled tooth pulled and was told it had reinfected. I feel as if there is more infection in my sinus cavity, but CT shows nothing major. Was given antibiotics for rhinitis, ear infection and throat infection. I had a peritonsilar abcess (abscess) on the same side (right side) shortly after this all began. Due to this pain, I have had all 4 wisdom teeth removed, the infected root canal tooth removed and many trips to the doctor, and er. My doctor did an MRI last year to check for MS, nothing there which I am so thankful for because I have 2 family members who were diagnosed, one living and one passed now. I had an er doc suggest Trigimenal Neuralgia, but I did not follow up with the neurologist because I believe this is my sinuses. I have burning pains in my neck, and top of my head. The headaches are so severe my scalp becomes sore to the touch. My eye is either filled with pressure or twitching. My ear feels full or blocked 24/7. My cheek and jaw hurt all the time. The pain radiates from the tip of my head all the way to my shoulder blade. I have two small children, just turned 24 this week and I have been terrified. I truly believe the botched root canal I had caused some sort of massive and chronic infection in my sinuses, which also led to the tonsil abcess (abscess) (which was terrible pain and almost blocked my airway). Finally now, my oral surgeon who removed my wisdom teeth is sending me for an MRI of the sinuses and jaw bone. I pray they figure this out because now I have random numbness with intense pain and extreme fatigue, all worsened by cold air and cleaning products. I feel I am missing out on my children because I am in so much pain I cannot focus and have memory loss. To the point of being diagnosed with adult add. Sorry you all are suffering as well, but I appreciate this site and your posts. It gave me some hope.
Anyone had maxillary cysts removed?  I have had 6 surgeries now due to an accident in 04 which broke my nose etc....   Anyhow now I have 3 maxillary cysts that were found in a CT scan done for horrible headaches.  I do not have the measurements but the surgeon who has done my most recent surgeries tells me the cysts (2) are the size of the end of his thumb, where the knuckle bends and the other is the size of a pinky where the joint bends.  He is refering me to an ENT to further evaluation.  Does anyone know how the maxillary cysts are removed?  How long is recovery?  I have had just about everything done to my nose from just putting my bones in place after the accident to keep them from floating to deviated septum and all that.  It seems that maxillary cyst are common however I am concerned about the size of mine and of couse the headaches and vision problems I experience.  Any advice is helpfull!
I can't believe all the people with the same problems I've been having. I had cancer ( Hodgkins disease 11 years ago, stage 3) and then had what looked like a stroke on Thanksgiving this year ( numbness, tingling, confusion, listing to one side, white spots in my left eye, blurred vision on left side) the doc did an mri and found a cyst in my sinuses that takes up most of my sinuses on the same side that my vision problems are on... I've also got some cervical neck issues in C 3-2 from a wreck six months ago ( I never got physical therapy for) I've had nose bleeds recently and gum bleeding too. This made everyone wonder if I had a brain tumor or some other cancer. The scans showing my sinus cyst can cause many of these symptoms? Is that really true??? I've talked to three docs since and they all say it's very likely- or should I push on for some other kinds of testing??? suggestions??? I am wondering if its true that sometimes these cysts can push into the eye and cause vision changes, my cyst was pretty huge according to docs.
Maxillary sinus retention cysts are considered 'incidental findings' on CT scans.  This is a well-studied phenomenon.  They are not associated with pain or symptoms unless they are obstructing the sinus drainage pathway or large enough to place pressure on the entire sinus cavity.  No one is very sure what causes these to develop and why people have them.  But if you scan a certain number of people, you will find them.  This, of course, becomes a problem when you happen to be scanning someone with headaches and these things happen to be there.  It can be very tempting to attribute symptoms to them...
I understand that people have headaches then they get the cat scan and it shows a cyst and the cyst may not be the cause. Here is my story. I have had only about 2 sinus infections, no allergies that I know of, and no dizziness, eye vision problems or anything like that. I went to the dentist for what I thought were teeth problems related to severe pain in my left cheek but he said there was nothing wrong with my teeth and sent me to the ENT. I went in March and he put me on ABT, nasal spray, and Medrol does pack, which worked for a little while then back to the pain in the cheek after a few months. I then got a full blown sinus infection back in October along with the cheek pain put on the same meds and no relief from the cheek pain. I went for a follow up cat scan and showed yep, you guessed it, sinus cyst. I would really like to have it removed to get rid of this pain. I think in my case that is the only thing causing the pain since I do not have a lengthy medical history.  You can actually see the cyst resting on my teeth roots which have nerves in them which then cause the pain. Am I correct? But I do not want to have the surgery and just have it come back either. I would like the pain to go away, I can not live on pain meds. They will eventually harm my liver and kidneys however they are excreted. Thanks for listening!
These can be removed and, perhaps in your case, one can make a good argument for doing so.  Like I said before, these cysts are not typically associated with pain -- but that doesn't mean it's impossible.  Consider the surgical treatment -- something called a Caldwell-Luc procedure.  This involves an incision in your mouth, just above your gums.  The anterior wall of your sinus cavity is removed in order to gain access to the area of the cyst.  The risks of the procedure include permanent facial numbness (injury to the maxillary branch of your trigeminal nerve), wound infection, chronic sinus dysfunction secondary to the surgery and failure to solve your problem at all.  If this risk/benefit equation is OK with you, an ENT surgeon may agree to try it.
I went to the ENT today and he suggested the laproscopic procedure thru the nasal cavity. He did admit that he did not think that would relieve the pain and that it is probly something neurological. I am hopeful seeing that I have not had any other symptoms accept the cheek pain that feels like a really bad tooth ache. You can see the cyst resting on the roots and nerves of my teeth. We will soon see! If not onto the next step I guess lol. Thanks for the info!
My right (upper tooth) is very painful and sensitive.  My right sinus is plugged off & on all day & night-taking hemopathic spray , flonase  & using netty pot). My Dr. has prescribed antibiotics that I've been taking for two-three weeks now-I'm on my second prescription.  I am finally feeling some relief but not completely.  I read that since antibiotics work through the blood stream and there are very few capillaries are in the Maxillary cavitiy & that this method may take awhile and ultimately may not cure the problem.  This frightens me.
You don't know how relieved I am to find this board. Here is my experience in the last 5 months:
August 09: came down with a bad cold
Early September 09: dx with bronchial pnemonia (pneumonia)
Late September 09: didn't get much better, blood work was done along with an EKG (normal), throat and nose culture (normal). I got a call a week later and found out I was positive for Mono but all other bloodwork normal. Soooo weird-didn't have your typical Mono symptoms

This is where I started having weird symptoms. I had constant post nasal drip. I had a chest Xray and Sinus Xray, both came back fine. I started having a lot of pressure in my head, couldn't breath out my nose. Then I started having numbing and tingling in my arms and legs, toes and fingers. I woke up with my one of my arms numb and wasn't even sleeping funny on it. I also continued to have chest pain and problems breathing. I went to the ER twice, they did a throat Xray (at the time I couldn't swallow), they basically made me think I was "crazy" and gave me anxiety medications. More odd symptoms started coming, pain in my left leg for no reason, thought it was a blood clot, went to the ER-nothing. I went to an ENT to see if he could help. Took a telescope up my nose and found a "slightly" deviated septum but nothing that should be bothersome-was he serious?? I can't breathe out my nose and I can't blow anything out!! Random pains in my body, a lot of muscle twiches, dizziness, vertigo, continued sinus pressure, sneezing, blurred vision. Now, I have recently started having random itches all over my body. Nothing intense, just bothersome. So, I have been freaking myself out looking online and thinking it could be cancer. I am seeing my PCP next Tuesday to see what else I can do. I was ordered a CT scan from the ENT I went to but insurance wouldn't cover it becuase the MD didn't order it as "possible cancer." I am soooo frustrated and I don't know what to do anymore. This has cost me soooo much money with no answers. I don't know what it feels like to be normal anymore.
My sinus crap just hit me like a mac truck in July, 1st visit to the ER. Followed by 6more over 3 month period..None of this stuff is new to me. HERE are my fun medical issues (Quick Version).."Chiari malformation"-Had brain surgery Nov.2006. Both Knee and Ankle reconstructions Sept. 2007 and 2008 (They grew like a Z formation). Hysterectomy 2005, Overy scope for cysts had 2.4 and 4.5 on one and 2.4 on the other. Crazy.. Tubes tied 1998 after 2nd child. all 4 wisdom teeth removed 1996 after my 1st. child. Now have dentures, glasses, hearing is below normal, memory and alot more problems... Diagnosis::Fibromyalsia (fibromyalgia), IBS severe, Bipolar, OPD- like OCD but it's personality not compulsive, PTSD, ADHD~ Main underlined is the OPD very bad for bipolar you know..I know I am for getting some things cause there are entirly too many things to remember.. So Iam almost 35 years old and I did have a carreerr and a life, achieving my goals, now I'm on a 5 year break so far. I was alsways healthy and full of life with the problems pretty minimal as a kid, not bothersome woulsd have never guessed my .life would be like this. So in summery-the newest issues we are working on now are the LEFT SPHENOID has 5MM  RETENTION CYST and DEVIATED SEPTUM also on the result thickening of the Maxillary sinu, left frontal sinus is undeveloped?? Also on the right prominent spur too..So I think that is 6 things on one dang result paper. MY SHOULDERS too: x-rays and MRI's are showing, basically boils down to just having #1. A Bunch of pinched nerves shoulder blades AWFUL PAIN and #2. Tendinitis, they said it is what you would see in someone who does a lot of work having there arms over there head, funny huh i don't work now..Almost everything I have we have just discovered in the past 5 years 30YEARS OLD how the blank Is that possible and also my conditions are either on the rare side or they are worse than most it's just nuts and I have had enough, at first it was intriguing diagnosing myself and others I'm good at that now. But I just want this to be over none of it is cool anymore..GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU AND ME TOO>>GREAT WEBSITE..Have a good day.. From Christyanna S. MI
I've experienced a lot of the dicussed symptoms as well....however, one I didn't really see listed was burning in the throat.  Has anyone else had this?  I have had this weird burning in my throat for about 2 months along with major sinus issues.  My dr thought it was reflux, but after trying 2 meds that didn't work (prilosec and prevacid) and then performing an endoscopy, they determined that they weren't so sure that is was reflux anymore and referred me to an ENT.  Saw the ENT today, who looked over my sinus CT scan that showed I had a 2 cysts-- one in my right and one in my left maxillary sinus.  And guess what, just as many people had posted, the ENT said that the pain and symptoms that I have been experiencing for the past 2+ months have NOTHING to do with my cysts.  He referred me to a neurologist....which can't get me in for almost 2 months, so I guess all I can do is wait.  I am so frustrated and I am sorry that so many other people on this sight have the same helpless feeling.....good luck to everyone!
I'm so happy to find this site. I have had allergy problems for a couple of years so see an ENT yearly. In November I had a bad sinus infection and ear infections and was treated. Since then daily sinus pressure, headaches, dry and burning eyes, some weird ear sounds. I had a CT scan done today and was told I have a cyst on both sides. ENT said nothing to be done, isn't causing my problems. Sound familiar?! And he suggested a neurology appointment. Has anybody gotten answers from neurology? It seems to me too coincidental to be having these problems and cysts together. Very frustrating. Oh, and my blood pressure is high for the first time in my life.
I had a cyst in my right sinus and it is possible to have upper headaches from them.  I had it removed surgically.  They had to pull packing out of my sinus cavity through my nose after I had healed.  The bad news is that if it is reoccurring it may come back if the whole cyst is not removed completely.  Mine is coming back and now they want to break my jaw to pull it down to make sure they get all of it and put my jaw back together with bolts and plates
I am scheduled for surgery the 19th or 22nd of this month I am waiting to here .  I have a cyst on the left side. this was discovered in Oct.  A year a go my MRI picked up something but it was discounted and for years I have been dealing with severe headaches, breathing problems etc.  I have been to so many specialist and been through so many unnecessary tests if only they had sent me to an ENT first.  I am so glad I read what I did today.  I put my foot down and said I want it out. I was tired of it no more meds do something. I was at at the ER on Tuesday with a severe headache, now blured vision nd tingly in face they thought I was having a stroke or a brain tumor. I kept saying cysts.  Here I am right now can barely breathe walking. I finished two rounds of antibiotics, a round a steriods, pain pilss, meds from neurologist etc.  too many meds.  Someone mentioned having high BP I have it now started last year never had before.  I have dizzynessess, feeling sick.  Sometimes I feel like I am going crazy and I think my doctors think it.  I have too many specialist. All trying to get answers and no one geting them. I am sure they all think I am nuts. I know my body. I am worried right now I feel very weak.  I guess its this sinus infection going on weak 4. I feel so out of it and this is not on meds. I can't wait to feel better.  
Hello All:

This is how my problems started

2008: The whole year I felt very depressed. I used to suffer from Post-Nasal Drip. But I thought thats a minor issue and had never thought about sinusitis or any other problem backthen. I did not have any dizziness issus

2008 Dec: I had a shoulder dislocation surgery. After I woke up from anasthesia, the nurses panicked as my blood pressure had rised from 125/80 to 150/90 and wouldnt go down. While I was waking up, I observed something like my nose was moving around. But I thought maybe thats the impact of anasthesia. My blood pressure came down to 138/80, but wouldnt lower

2009 Feb: I get my first panic attack. I go to doctor, I have high blood pressure and low vitamin B12, but everything else is normal. The doctor puts me on a beta blocker for blood pressure. I take the beta blocker for one month. Apparently, it worsens my depression, vision problems, heavy headedness and headaches. (I dont realize why-revealed below)

2009 April: I cant take beta blockers anymore. My depression, dizziness, anxiety is at extremes. I get headaches, ear pressure, disequilibrium. I go to doctor, he thinks I am crazy, puts me on anxiety medication.

2009May to June 2009: I am on anxiety medication. My anxiety and blood pressure are a bit under control. I feel a bit relieved. I start doing yoga in June and continue doing yoga everyday. Yoga gives me a lot of relief from stress and anxiety.

June 2009: I go to a walk in clinic for same occassional ear pressure, headaches, disequilibrium. Doctor puts me on nasonex. I think the doctor is stupid as I am suspecting something more serious. I take nasonex for 3 days and surprisingly feel EXTREMELY BETTER ! However, I dont realize why. I think maybe the medication is addictive and its putting me in a different state of mind than the real. So, I throw NASONEX in garbage.

2009 December: I feel the ear pressures and headaches again. My GP refers me to an ENT

2010 Jan: The ENT puts in a telescope in my nose and sees a massive nasal cyst/polyp on my left sinus. He notes swollen turbinates and sinus infection. Orders a CT scan.

2010 April: Diagnosis is confirmed with a CT scan: Polyp on Left sinuses, sinus infections causing ear fullness, headaches, dizziness. I do some research online and see an obvious link between NASAL POLYPS AND ANXIETY. I feel extremely relieved. Nasal polyps increase state and trait anxiety by an average of 63%. for some people, it can be even more. Pls see link below:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15952681

Plus nasal cysts can also cause depression, high bp, nausea, weight gain:

http://www.************.com/Sinus_cyst_and_their_symptoms__depression__weight_gain__swollen_legs__t104806.html

Now everything seems to make sense:

Post nasal drip/Depression and weight gain in 2008
Vision problems/Dizziness when I was on beta blockers in 2009 (Beta Blockers are inflammatory and probably increased the size of my polyp)
Relief with Nasonex in mid 2009 (Nasonex shrinks polyps)

I am pretty sure no doctor would relate secondary symptoms like anxiety, depression, high BP to nasal polyps/cyst. However, I expect to see a difference in their diagnosis over the next 10-15 years as there are more research trials on these secondary symptoms.

Medically, I think nasal cysts are bound to cause such symptoms:

Anxiety (Cyst causing vision problems can cause unwanted brain fog, dizziness, difficulty concentrating leading to ANXIETY)

Depression (same persistent vision problems doubting our abillity to grasp the real world)

Weight Gain (Food in the stomach may decrease the inflammatory state of blood circulation as more blood is diverted to digestive processes)

My surgery is scheduled in May End. I hope everything goes well.

The 2 year dillemma has certainly taught me one thing:

Yoga plays a vital role in maintaining mental equilibrium and patience.

Good Luck to all !
I, like the rest, am quite relieved to read these posts...I too, have been told that my sinus cyst has nothing to do with any of these symptoms (I am having all the same symptoms)...I have had a sinus infection for 4 months straight and I have been on antibiotics for most of those 4 months and nasal steroid sprays. None of the doctors know why the infection won't go away. Now, my biggest problem is that my entire lymph system has swollen up. All the lymph nodes in my head, neck, arms/armpits, groin, chin, face, chest, abdomen, spleen and legs have swollen and are very tender and painful. These started to swell with an increase of my other symptoms like headaches, nausea, ear pain, dizziness, jaw and tooth pain, etc...plus I still have yellow nasal discharge.

After reading these, I am definitely pushing for surgery...is anyone else experiencing swollen lymph nodes?
Hi Joleen,  The thing is that swollen lymph glands are a sign of infection. As you have so many, I think you should go to another DR.  You surely at least need a some super does of antibiotics.  

What is interesting about reading all this is that so many people do not get good health care.  It is really very sad.  

I have been looking here because I have a swollen lymph on my neck that has presented white patches on my skin there.  IN my nose, I have a cyst that I can't see myself, no matter how I try, it is on my septum, which is deviated from breaking my nose in a car crash a long time ago.  I have face pain, dizziness, tingling in arms and shoulder all on the same nostril side (right)  and the other day vertigo and blurred vision and reduced hearing ability.  I took a course of antibiotics for a week and now I have a hot ear, still swollen lymph,with white spots,  sore jaw, weepy eyes and bloody discharge from my nose and every now and then an overwhelming sensation to sneeze that is beyond normal.  I am truly hoping I don't have some sort of autoimmune or cancer,  staph or meningitis with a deviated septal abscess. I will see the dr again in a couple of days. Hopefully I will be take seriously.  Indeed, it is interesting, (don't know about comforting!)  to know that others have similar symptoms.   All the best to the noses and lymph nodes and everything else.
ciao for now
These posts are quite amazing.  I am 20 years old and never had really bad allergies until I was about 16 or 17.  After that I started getting bronchitis about twice a year.  Once I started college and I stopped playing sports year-round my allergies grew even worse.  Once they got to the point where I couldn't breathe at all, my mom made an appointment with the allergy doctor.  The sad part is, I went to my primary physician multiple times with this problem and all he wanted to do was x-ray after x-ray and an ekg when I insisted it was allergies.  He never referred me to the allergy doctor.  Even with a lung x-ray that came back with what my doctor said had "inflammation and 'fluffiness'" wasn't enough to refer me to the allergy dotor.  Also another primary physician did a sinus x-ray on me about 3 days before this past New Years and I had fluid filled halfway up my left sinus.  He gave me appropriate antibiotics that unfortunately didn't completely solve my problem.  I was on antibiotics from the 3 days before New Years until about the first week in April when I refused to take anymore.  When I finally saw the allergy doctor, I got a CT scan and he found a cyst in my left maxillary sinus.  He put me on Predisone and the same antibiotic to try to shrink it.  I have experienced the dizziness, a few massive headaches in my forehead, and other symptoms that you all have experienced.  He said that surgery would definitely be done if the antibiotics didn't shrink the cyst.  I go to the ENT in about a week and a half to see if the cyst has gotten any smaller.  I am very impressed with my allergy doctor and the effort that he has made to get me completely better.  I encourage you to push surgery if you are in pain.  A friend of mine had sinus surgery and is actually doing much much better.

Also, I was diagnosed with migraines in the 8th grade. They ran many many tests and decided they were hereditary and had nothing to do with a serious medical condition.  They told me to start taking Magnesium Oxide.  It is a vitamin that is sold over the counter and it is truly a miracle drug!!!!  I encourage all of you to try out Mag Ox.  I take 500mg.  Good luck to you all and I will try to write back on here whenever I see the ENT!!
I just have to say, Thank God!    I am so glad I was browsing sinus abnormalties - cyst, and found all of your comments.    I have been
having so many of these symptoms.  I had been told before
that some of this pain was also from TMJ - anyone have that
along with everything else?

I was xrayed at dentist office and they saw something in my
film that wasn't normal. sent me to an oral surgeon who sent
me to get an C SCAN....and advised there was a "cyst or
fluid substance".    
To make a long story short, I called my ENT and today was told
there is a cyst in rt max sinus..but mine seems to be coming
through the bone.....yep, need surgery.

But I'm so glad to hear of the same symptoms I have had for
months.....the headaches, teeth aching, dizziness, and
what seems to scare everyone...the numbness of the limbs
and you're right, no one understands.

by MsLin

As someone above said "WOW" to all of you who posted above.  Talk about tough stuff to go through.  My 10yo has had bilateral headaches in her temple for some time.  She has had headaches on and off w/ heat for about the last four years, but now her h/a are 24/7 and steadily increasing in pain - she is at the point where either heat or movement cause pain to spike.  I must admit that reading the post above didn't offer me a whole lot of hope for quick relief for her.
We are currently working through the medical ropes, Blood tests, allergist, ent, CT and yes, she has a maxoid cyst.  We've ripped out carpets, are testing for mold, radon and carbon dioxide in our van.  She is non allergic if we believe the scratch tests.  ENT diagnosed her with vasomotor rhinitis - which sounds as if some of the people above may have started out with years ago - but none of the symtoms (symptoms) fit my 10yo.  
We have good reason to think that it might be related to home remodelling done over the last nine months.

Here is what I would like to say:
(1)  Many of the symptoms above fit into a picture of someone who has autoimmune problems caused by a mix of chemicals and undetected allergies.  Mind you, I mean at the beginning of cyst formation.  And, no, these symptoms are generally not recognized as symptoms of allergic reaction by classical allergists.
(2)  You can have allergies which show up neither on scratch tests nor in blood tests.  (They are detected by trial or an elimination diet).  (It is a challenge to find an allergist who will look at what is called provocation/neutralization testing - a far more accurate way of testing.)   I once ran an tiny allergy department, and we sent our "hot" patients to another doctor (see below) who did perform this method of testing.)  (The doctor I worked for had multiple practices and preferred the more lucrative ones like cosmetics- he didn't want to work hard with allergy).

Without going into my own medical history, I once ended up travelling about eleven hours to go see an Enviromental/Allergy/Pediatric MD in Charleston SC by the name of Allan Lieberman (see the link to the detox center on coem.com).  He ran allergy tests, found underlying issues with immune system and blood sugars and gave me drops to control my migraines (which they did - turned them off with a mix of flu/histamine/serotonin callibrated to me - like an allergy shot is callibrated to you) and help prevent return of Bell's Palsy (mine was severe).  I later began having children and lost touch with him and left off my treatment plan.  At the end of all of the expected medical exams, before surgery, we are headed to see him for two of my children.  
On his site he has a reading list (I think it is under bibliography) which lists books to read on various health topics.  I finally picked up a used copy of Doris Rapp's book via amazon and some others on non-toxic homes.  I think that for six bucks some of you (if not all of you) would find this highly interesting reading.  For those of you who are in the Charleston area, I can't encourage you enough to look into coem.  They will also tell recommend other doctors if you can't make the trip and if there are any closer to you.  I have known of this Dr to cure shingles and reverse arm paralysis following a coral sting - and I'm sure that there are more, but I have forgotten them in all of the years since I was in the medical vein of work.
All of this will be a bit of work for us (allergy diets and looking into detox if needed), but I know that it will be worth it in the long run.
I am sorry to say that I must sign off now.  Thank all of you above for your helpful posts.  It helps give me some direction wrt the relation between cysts and headaches.

I do not even know where to begin! This sight is magnificent. I have been suffering for over 20 years with sinusitis and 12 years ago started to feel numbing in my right arms and legs.  I fell down a flight of stairs head first so of course, that was what the docs said was wrong with my neck and back pain. Everytime I would get a sinus infection it would last for a month. I couldnt get better. I felt like such a hypochondriac.  After months and months of fatigue, gaining wait, headaches, numbness, and constant sinusitis, I went to get out of bed and fell because by right leg gave out on me. I was referred to a Rheumatologist and found out that I had 4 autoimmune diseases(RA, Lupus, Mixed connective tissue disease and vasculitis) I was 42!  Started chemo, prednisone, plaquenil, relafin, enbrel, you name it...I was sick as a dog..gained 70 lbs. and then 8 months later I had a seizure!! I never had a seizure in my life. I ended up have 4 seizures in a 3 month period. They did every test you can imagine and  I was referred to a Neurologist. They found a cyst in my right sinus that pretty much takes up the entire right side of my head! His answer to that was "that has nothing to do with this, those are very common and we wouldnt do anything about that" He said he couldnt find any reason I was having the seizures.  One doctor thought it may have been the tramadol that I was taking for the pain I was suffering from everyday. But I had been taking the lowest dose for 4 1/2 years and never had a seizure and a pain management doctor that worked on the clinical trials for tramadol said NO WAY! If I were taking a HUGE dose daily then "maybe" but he didnt buy that one.  So, they perscribed me topomax (topamax) for the seizures and thank God I havent had one again. However, I live constantly with severe sinus pain, a daily headache, I wake up nauseated every morning, horrible teeth pain, my right eye is starting to droop, and the pressure over my right eye is unbearable.  I have chronic insomnia, and I am convinced that this cyst is what is to blame.  I do not know what to do.  I am miserable
I'm so glad to have found this site. I thought I was alone in the pain. I have had numerous sinus infections, my ears ring all the time and my right nostril drips continually. I finally got a referral to an ENT, had a ct scan and found out I have a cyst and a crooked nasal bone with alot of swelling in the sinus cavity. The doctor will be doing surgery in 2 weeks. For years I was told that it was just sinusitis, use nasal sprays and salt water rinses. I have endured pain to my head, face and teeth. I am tired of people telling me it is just an allergy. I can't wait to feel better.
I have all the same symptoms I have had them for two years. I have went to all the doctors and now I have developed a lump and the back of my throat it dosent hurt I go to the doctor today to find out if it is related to the acid reflux or if it is something else if anyone else has this please let me know.
Your response to the posts doesn't surprise me, but I have to tell you my daughter's story and maybe you will reconsider your expert opinion.  She has been seen by the ENTs at Charleston ENT and Wake Forest Univ Hospital, so they can verify her story.  In 2006 she had two golf ball sized maxillary mucus retention cysts removed.  They had been causing her terrible migraines-- with light and sound sensitivity.  Since then she has had over 50 more procedures to remove cysts that recur.  The bone has been removed so the procedures can be done in the office.  Once they are removed, she is fine-- no pain.  Some are as small as 3 cm. but cause as much pain as the larger ones.  I wish we could figure out what causes them-- they appear to be triggered by chemical exposure or a cold, but in 4 years we cannot find a clear cause.  To have an ENT tell a patient that sinus cysts cannot cause migraines makes me crazy, since my daughter has suffered too long with what is clearly real.
I agree with the post about Dr. Lieberman in North Charleston.  He ha added a second doctor to his busy practice-- a neurologist, Dr. Bonnoit.   The doctors at Charleston ENT are aware of the migraine pain that can accompany sinus cysts.  My daughter is a patient there and has had over 50 removed.  Each time she goes in with extreme pain, like a migraine, and once it is removed, she has complete relief within a minute or two.  Dr. Scarlett has removed the bone to the maxillary sinuses so he can do the procedure in the office usually within a few minutes.  
Of course we would love to know what causes these or how to treat them without the procedure, so if anyone has suggestions, please post.  She is taking allergy shots for her known allergies, but they haven't seemed to slow the pace of these cysts.
I'm glad I found your story and the other stories following.  I've had on going sinus infections all my life and this last one has lasted 5 months. I just found out today that I have a cyst also (no thanks to my former doctor) and will be taking the results to a new doctor.  If the current ENT won't remove, I would find a new doctor or at least get a second opinion.  Daily headaches and pain are not the way to live!  Even though I don't like surgery, I want this thing out because I'm tired of being on antibiotics that don't work.  I'm glad you mentioned vertigo.  I couldn't figure out what was causing mine b/c they said my ears were just fine.  Good luck!
My son had headaches, ear aches...then one of his teeth turned gray.  After forcing the issue with the Drs, the did a full exray (panorex) and the Drs thought he had an absessed tooth - worse than anything they had seen.  He got into emergency surgery and they found out it was two cysts - each the size of golf balls.  It has almost ruined his pallet and he may loose some more teeth.  But he got the cysts removed, and will keep on close watch for the rest of his life.  His headaches have gone away, he can now breath through his nose and hopes he does not have to loose all his front teeth.  With so many people getting more and more migranes (migraines) (me included) - one has got to wonder if they have cysts.  It was very hard to find out.  I know I am going to get checked.
Hello every1. I, like most of the other readers am SOOOO glad to have found this site. Today, I, too was diagnosed with maxillary sinus cysts after having an MRI two weeks ago to further investigate about five to six years worth of migraines. So debmom123, I TOTALLY agree with you (as well as the other sufferers that experience headaches and/or migraines) in your report that these terrible cysts DO in fact cause headaches or migraines. In having the MRI, I had no IDEA that the culprit of the long-suffered migraines I experienced could be a sinus cyst. Actually, I didn't even know such a condition existed!! However, after reading the very helpful information and testimonies here, I am relieved to finally have the answer to the condition that was inevitably ruining my life. As I stated, my suffering included almost daily,severe migraines (yes, I was diagnosed with it AND am on two medications for it as well), dizziness, neck pain, eye socket pain, and facial numbness. After being diagnosed with the sinus cyst though (of which I go to my neurologist in 2 weeks for a follow-up on the results,and whom I will request refers me to an ENT to see what can be done-if for nothing more to relieve the crippling migraines),I DO recall experiencing continual post nasal drip which always (especially in cold weather) causes me throat scratchiness. No doubt this all explains the root of the problems I've been experiencing for so many years, and I am to say the least ANXIOUS to come up with a solution. Thank you all for your input and for sharing your stories, treatments, and results! Be blessed.
Hi kiddo,
Had the same experience, also worried if i have auto immune or any form of cancer.
hope not and praying not to have serious disease.
I was in antibiotic for a week but still the sore throat is there.
And all other symptoms Im still experiencing.
Sometimes the headaches attacks in the afternoon and i will feel very weak.
Im so scared...
Going to my ENT tomorrow for further work ups.
DOnt know if my mucocele or cyst will be removed, its in my right etmoid sinus
Hope this is the cause aside from my TMJ.
It appears that ENT's do not take sinus cysts seriously. I don't understand why. I had a CT scan about 3 months ago. They said they never found anything. My symptoms have been: Dizziness, nausea, ear pain in and behind my ear, limb weakness, and just plain feeling sick. When the CT scan came back normal I was sent to another ENT who ordered an MRI a couple days ago. i get the results tomorrow. Well they sent me the CT results not too long ago just so I can have them. I decided to actually look at everything closely. The entire page said everything basically was ok. Then at the very bottom, a blip that said I had a 12mm right maxillary mucous sinus cyst/polyp. HUH! Why didn't anyone say anything to me about that? Seriously? I'm just told all looked well. So I then go to a new ENT to get checked for Meniere's disease. Those tests came back clear. So the ENT tells me that I need an MRI cause something is going on. Well honestly that freaked me out and I kinda fainted. So now I read the CT scan closely and I have a fricken cyst. All research I have done shows people have the same symptoms that I have. I just feel like the cause is right there and they are ignoring it.Really ticks me off. I read an earlier post that elderberry shrinks kids. Doctor's suck. They told me I couldn't get pregnant and that fertility treatment wouldn't work and that I would be childless unless I adopted. Well I tried an herbal regime and got pregnant in 2 months with my first and 1 month with my second after 3 years of being told I wouldn't get pregnant. My point is, they don't know it all and sometimes don't care. I'm getting rid of this stupid cyst without their help if I have to. Morons.
Meant to say shrinks "cysts' not "kids" lol
I just found out today that i have a cyst. In my left side of my sinus. how familiar. i get bad headaches nausia blurry vision and loss of hearing. ive found that fioricet helps alot most of the time but i also have "blood cell collection in my bone in my forehead. Not sure what this means. please help
i was attacked by a male family friend on 1/2/11. i was severely beaten about the left side of my face and head. on 1/4/11 I went back to hospital and had ct scan performed. it showed an orbital floor fracture. I am going to an orbital specialist who told me not to blow my nose until he got the ct scan from the hospital. on 1/30/11, i woke up with excruciating head ache. i had to go to hospital because the pain med I had on hand did not work. now, here's the kicker: on 1/4/11 the ct scan showed a fracture to the orbital floor and that was all. The ct scan from 1/30/11 shows the fracture has healed, but shows a cyst/polyp in L Max.Sinus. This did not appear on 1/4. I have almost total numbness to the L side of my face since the beating and now this cyst... is it possible that the cyst could be caused by the pooling blood from the beating. Most of the external bruising is gone, but the numbness has not improved at all.
yes it might be..
I have had a migraines that lasted for weeks snits February of last year. My doctor thought it was from stress but I knew it wasn’t. It wasn’t until I started having blood noses for no reason, and pulled an inch and a half long clot from my nose that she finally sent me for an MRI. I thought I had an aneurism (aneurysm) or a tumor. I have had a migraine for nine weeks, I am exhausted all the time but, have been unable to sleep trough the night. I’ve had dizziness and nausea for months, I’ve had vision changes and neck pain as well. My MRI was clear save for a mass of cysts in my sinus. I am now waiting for a referral to and ENT. My doctor thinks that theses cysts are why every time I get sick I get a sinus infection. That they are retaining liquid that is becoming septic. Could theses cysts be causing all of my other symptoms? Would surgery help? I am so tired of being in pain. This migraine is driving me nuts, I am short tempered and grumpy all the time now.
hey just wanted to let you know that we are going thru similar prob. with my daughter. she has been complaning of tilted vision, headaches, nausea, chest pain, pulsing in her brain, and seeing numbers and letters moving off her papers at school. we have been to the cardilolgist, evrything is ok there. we have been to optomologists, evrything ok there. we have been to nuerologist and she has been subject to 3mris, 3 c scans, eeg, eng ,evoked potential test for auditory, brain stem, upper and lower extremities.  the eng or balance test came back abnormal so we were referred to an ent, he sees what appears to be a polyp in her right sinus cavity and wants yet another c scan, i hope that this will be the answer to what is going on, she is having 24-7 tilted vision and nausea for about 6 weeks now, they have also set us up for her to start vestibular rehabilation to help with her dizzines that we try to keep telling them is not dizzy just tilting,lol. she does not have loss of balance of dizzy spells. the eng test also showed weakness in her right ear but she has perfect hearing. im keeping all of you in my prayers and praying that maybe we will get some relief on this end for my girl as well
I've had a history of sinus pain and headaches.  I get sinus infections monthly (on average), constant sore throats, major breathing problems, sinus migraines, and what sometimes becomes severe vertigo.  Because of a car accident and a necessary CT, I found out I have polyps in one sinus, a cyst taking up the entire other sinus, inflamed adnoids, and a severely deviated septum.  My surgery to correct all of this is in five days.  
My ENT said that there's about a 20% chance of the cysts and polyps growing back, but they usually aren't as aggressive.  He also said that I will be sleeping better, and since my breathing will improve greatly, it will most likely completely change my metabolism and my weight will drop off.  If anyone's interested, I can try to re-post after my surgery to let everyone know if it helps.  
I had to have surgery on my pituitary gland (tumor as big as it was) in Aug. 2010 then 2 months ago i found out that I had a cyst in my right side nasal cavity. My surgery was at MUSC in Charleston, SC. I have had the radilogy dept that did my CT scan send them to my doc at MUSC to see if I need to be worried. My ENT said it was about an inch long (which freaked me out) but didn't do anything else about it so I called my tumor doctor at MUSC and that's when he told me to send it to him and he's figure out if it needs to be taken care. I just hope I'm not over reacting.  
Hi everyone i also have the same symptoms does any one of you experience cronic (chronic) cough with this symptom.
Anyone who had endoscopic surgery to remove your cyst have any post op results? I think I speak for quite a few of us on here, HOW ARE YOU DOING?

=)
Yes, I was coughing for quite sometime, and my Dr. put me on acid reflux medicine, that seemed to help the coughing, but nothing else.
Yes, I have dry eyes, fatigue, headaches, nausea, had vertigo not long ago and went through a malicious round of antibiotics for 3 months. No luck. CT scan negative also. I have a itchy throat that cant be cleared. I use a netti pot and the saline solution keeps my nose clean but doesnt completely drain out. I feel it go in my ears and when I lay down it drains out hours later.. My doctor acts like im making this all up. He also doesnt want to give me a MRI, Since the Ct scan is negative. I have been sick with these symptoms for over a year...  My best advise is too keep trying and go to a specialist, Guess i'll have to make my own appointment. I thought it could be gerd but i never have acid reflux.. I can also feel and even hear crackling between my ears when i use the netti pot saline flush..?

HELP<Nancy M.
Thanks for the reply i am a breast cancer survivor nothing seems to help for this cough and sinus,so i spoke to my oncology doc. mine is a side effect of Tamoxifen,well i am two years on Tamoxifen another three years to come maybe bye that time there will be something to take for this side effect.
ive had migraines for years and nose bleeds and everything you can think of, ive been from doctor to doctor.  my doctor finally took me in for a cat scan and i have cysts on my left side they dont want to do surgery because im 14... but i have headachez everyday and grumpy and i dont kno what to do my mom doesnt think anythings wrong cause ive been on medicated nasal spray what do i do?
Hello, I too am glad to find this forum.  I have been suffering from nosebleeds for a week. Well, I had the very first one 6 years ago, had a CT scan and was told that there were polyps and a possible mass. I was told I didn't have to have it removed so I chose not to at the time. Last week, I started suffering with nosebleeds and now they're trying find out if I still have polyps or a mass and to see if that is what is causing my nosebleeds. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?
just found site, my 12 year old son have been suffering from daily headaches, dizzness and spent most days off school. his doctor says he has a mass up his right nose and has been taking sprays for months but nothing has been working, He had an mri scan in 2009 so as you can see it has been going on for a long time now and is no joke for my son.  If anyone has any ideas to help would like to hear..
I've been having strange symptoms the past 6 weeks.  I got really sick at first, all started with a sore throat, which I thought, oh another sinus issue is coming.  A week later I felt like complete crap:  could barely get up to get a glass of water, super dizzy, lightheaded, diarrhea, etc...  I ended up going to the ER and everything was 'normal' except for the CT scan showed a cyst in my sinus cavity.  The dr. said it was nothing to worry about.  Now 6 weeks later, I am still super dizzy and I feel like I get a little relief when I take zyrtec-d.  Could my dizziness be caused by the cyst?  I have a neurology appt. next week, but I feel hopeless now with the medical field.  I have chalked up over 10k in additional debt to my huge student loans trying to find out what's wrong with me.  It is so frustrating!!!  I am a graduate student and graduate in December and my symptoms are making me miss days of my rotation.  My anxiety has been higher also, with not knowing why I don't feel myself and worrying this will all affect my graduation etc... I thought maybe this could all be anxiety issues, but I have been the most satisfied with my life that I have been, probably ever...  I'm getting discouraged, but reading these posts give me a little hope that maybe it is related to the cyst?  
Hi, I am joining the club as well. Read my story several times here; so no need to repeat. I have been wondering how many of you would relate the cyst formation to dental problems or work, such as extractions, canal treatments, crowns, implants? I saw some posts relating it trauma and root canal treatment. In my case, I have the feeling that it was caused by dental problem, one tooth, in particular, which I finally extracted and felt great for about an year. Then I was silly enough to agree to placing an implant and 6 months later, my problems started big time. My small cyst (which is nothing, according to doctors), is placed right next to the implant. As crazy as it may sound, dental work often is a serious trauma and may destroy the fine balance there. So, please, let's see who of us has a lot of dental work done on the same side of the head.
I saw what your are going throug I do have the same symptoms, I do have a cysts in my nasal caviaty. I already saw ENT specialist and was put on major antibotics, they did a CT the first time and the return visit the did the scope and still have the cyst and major migranes (migraines) which I have already, It puts pressure on left side of my face and sharp shooting pain in head I just scream..He is worried about my migrane (migraine) that it could be something else. So he wants me to see my neurologist, before he would surgery to be just safe. Because if did the surgery and removed the cyst and I still had my migranes (migraines), then why then.
I have had this kind of surgery before in 2005 and when I was 13 years old. I do have severe asthma and my immunity very low so I just want to get rid of the pain too. Yes I defintely go see ENT specilatist.
Get the body systems balanced, with this alternate nose breathing. Do it daily for 30 minutes, twice a day, and feel your symptoms come down gradually over weeks. You feedback on benefits experienced, will help others.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
October 6, 2011
I was looking for information on recurring cysts in the maxillary cavity and ran across your post about the Charleston ENT removing recurring cysts.  I had mine removed the first time 9 years ago and believe it has returned since the symptoms are the same.  Does your daughter have to have a CT or MRI each time or are they able to use the access to look for them?  I had a hole drilled into mine in the nasal cavity and wanted to ask if that is what your daughter had.  This is an old post from you but hopefully you can be of help.  
my son has a cyst on his brain the doctors told me not to worry but that is hard cause he is still having bad pains in his head what do i do
Follow the alternate nostril breathing technique in my Oct 06 ,2011 post.
The extra oxygen going into the brain will ease the pain and control the cyst.
November 14 ,2011
if anyone can help my 10 year old son has a cycst on his brain he has really bad head acks were he has to hold his hole head they come every other day i am so worried about him and the doctors tell me not to worrie long as it dont grow or bleed but as a mom i am going to worrie about ti cause he is my son i wont to get him receaked but they tell me i have to wait and i dont now why so if any one can help thanks so much
dont see that one but thanks
I cant believe I found others that  have the same problems my husband and I have been thinking he was hypocondriac or crazy or dramatic he has had all these symptoms for 2 yes now and drs have told him it  was anxiety and dismissed it and then finally we found this forum we are so excited to hear all these stories now we have hope!! ok 2 days ago we went for his MRI and first thing this morning dr called and said he had a 3cm cyst and I was freaking out crying all morning! Now I feel better to know more about it and the ENT said this is definetly what has caused all the dizziness/feeling faint/pressure in ears/headaches/not able to drive we havent left the house except to go to the store or dr soo im nervous but ecited to maybe and hopefully get our life back we go in for surgery next week on Tues. so I will let evryone know that turns out...my husband has lived off Ibprophan so hopefully he has a liver left! UGH!....best wishes to all
Hi CattSmiles, just read your comment ref Feb 23, 2009, NRT & Elderberry extract, please could you tell me what to buy, I dont know what NRT is, I am from UK & live in Portugul but would be happy to buy it on line, I am a sufferer of all the above symptoms for 7 + years, it has effected my quality of life and will try anything before surgery, look forward to your reply, best wishes and hope you are still happy & well, Tina
LeeLee
I am curoius how it all goes for your husband.
I just started getting these symptoms about two weeks ago and It makes me feel like others think I am crazy or hypcondriac.  All I can do is cry, because I know I am having these symptoms...Have not had any test done...but I am going to.  My Headaches are crippling my lifestyle...my eyes feel swollen and I have numbness in fingers.  Dr said I had Tension Headaches.  So I am going to get this checked into for myself, but I am really curoius how things work out for your husband.
RoRo
I had dental work done too, Braces.....????
Crown/ on both back teeth too????
hello i have been having bad headaches for years but than a new feeling that i never had before started it is just driving me crazy had now for about 3 weeks its having arm and finger numbness and fingers feeling like needles at the tips of the fingers a weak feeling this goes up and down the arm and the fingers and fingertips.I thought maybe it was a pinch nerve or something like that but i guess not. all of  this is on the right side only. I told my doctor and she said that she wanted to do an ct scan of my head with the dye contrast i am like what does that have to do with my arm anyways i was like well ok what ever lets do that then so i had the ct scan done. Than one day i got a call from my doctor telling me that i have to go see a ENT doctor that my ct scan showed on my right side polyps and cysts in sinus. well now i am just waiting to see what happens next. Anybody have any advise what they think might happen or what the doctor will might do? Is surgery a must have here you think please anyone give me a heads up on what will go on next just ideas if you might know. Thank You, Buffy      
Ok i went to a doctor and got a CT scan and here is a short report:

1. Bilateral maxillary chronic sinusitis
2. Bilateral mild ethmoid chronic sinusitis
3. Soft tissue obstruction of left OMC (osteomeatal complex)
4. Moderate left-ward nasal septal deviation and left sided bony spur
causing stenosis of left nasal passage
5. Mild hypertrophy of both middle/inferior turbinates
6. Chronic left mastoiditis.

I was then recommended to go to an ENT. So i went and showed him my reports and he said that i am too young (i am 22) and shouldn't be worrying about these stuff. And i was thinking that he is nuts. I have problems with breathing (i breathe with my mouth when i sleep) and really bad pollen allergies in spring. What do you guys think?
Follow the alternate nostril breathing technique in my Oct 06 ,2011 post.This will gradually help to clear the sinus.
Also press the tips of all fingers, 30 times each finger, daily.
December 11 ,2011
The ENT's are right about the cyst not being the cause of your sinus problems. I suffered 3 years with sinus pressure that was so intense I couldn’t differentiate whether it was from my sinuses or from a very terrible migraine. I have now learned that with diet change and natural anti-fungals, my pain, along with my other symptoms (fatigue, visual snow, floaters, ear ringing, constant dizzy feeling, brain fog, muscle twitches etc.)  can all be managed.

I have seen Doctor after doctor after doctor. I have had every test imaginable (blood work, ct scans, mri’s, nerve conductivity tests, neurological tests, ecg’s, etc. And with DILLIGENCE I have found my “cure”. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. From quitting smoking to working out 5 days a week and eating only “clean” foods. But is it worth it??? Absolutely. I have been doing this for 3 months and have felt a massive improvement in my fatigue and my sinus headaches to the point that they are diminished. But guess what? As soon as I take in a yeast product or sugar guess what happens.. I suffer with my symptoms again. I know this is going to be a long haul before I can say I’m fully better, but without will power and perseverance I cant reach that status.

Im curious to know what you’re history was like prior to having these symptoms? Constantly sick and on antibiotics every year??? And possible birth control or acne medication? Living in a basement apartment?
wow. I have just recently found one cyst in the back of my neck, then discover two and three and 5 now one is on my throat, literally was NOT there yesterday, and I think I feel one in my ear/temple. I am so scared. the doctor told me not worry that it painful because i am playing with them! I  am not listening. I am scared I will get all these symptoms.... headaches have already started and ibrophen is the only thing that helping! ugh

Im thinking this is hormonal imbalance, but all of a sudden!?  It doesn't make sense but I DID have an intense sore throat which lasted for 7 days! could this be connected? a virus I have contacted that is growing cysts rapidly throughout my head, neck and throat?

HELP SOMEONE
I read someone elses comment about getting a really severe cold and sore that he said sinusitis. I had the same thing! a severe sore throat for 7 days and then boom I started seeing feeling all these lumps on my neck and back of the head. Today, I am feeling a new one on my throat and on my ear/temple area. I am scared, they are growing rapidly. this had happened all in a couple of weeks
The cysts are forming as the body is not draining the waste fluid. Do the massage  to move the fluid and  kapalbhati to stimulate your body organs to remove the waste, and build up the immune system.

Massage these points to move the waste fluid.
Back of hands – There are channels running from in between the fingers towards the wrist. Rub these cahnnels up and down.
Top of feet   There are channels running from in between the toes towards the leg. Rub these cahnnels up and down.
Calf muscles -  massage up and down.

Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating)
Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
December 19 ,2011
I was reading (and following) one of your posts in the thyroid community; checked out your page and saw this (I've had sinus; probably to do with tending hypo at the moment).

Thank you for the above post;  if my sinuses improve because of this, it will almost be a secondary bonus as I felt so good after doing the exercises and reminded myself in my body instead of my mind a whole new level, and I obviously need reminding!   Thank you :-).
Your feedback is very useful, thank you.
For sinus, do anulom vilom pranayam, and press the tips of all your fingers about 20 times.
For thyroid, I hope you are doing ujjayi pranayam 21 times, and pressing the thyroid point everyday.
December 30 ,2011
I am researching cysts in the sinus cavity because the ER DR dismissed the one he saw on my mom's cat scan. My mom woke up yesterday and had extreme vertigo, blurred vision, and numbness in her mouth. She had no warning signs or symptoms prior to this. We took her to the ER with these stroke like symptoms. The DR had no answers for us and gave my mom Valium & meclazine & sent her home. She still couldn't see but the numbness in her mouth subsided. DR scheduled more tests in a few days. Now that I have read all these posts, am wondering if she shouldn't just go to an ENT first. She has no insurance so we will have to pay for all these tests. I am going to suggest for her to try some zyrtec after I consult with pharmacist for interactions. Advice from anyone that has suffered similar symptoms is welcome. I think the cysts should not be so easily dismissed and have a feeling all these tests they want to do are not going to show anything, as I have read the same from these posts. My mom is a strong, energetic, otherwise healthy woman and I want to help her get some answers.
AS she is healthy and energetic, tell her to do
kapalbahti pranayam, anulom pranayam for 30 minutes each ,twice a day, everyday.
She will notice some benefit after 7 days, and body will continue to build up the immune system. Do not give up the pranayam before 4 months.
HI, Our Syptoms (symptoms) Seem to be the same! the Pressure & Server Headaches are unbelievably painful gettin worse by the day! some time when i try to swallow it feels like a lump shape feeling in my right ear! Followed by server sharp pain running through my ear & down the side of my throut restricting me from swallowing anymore whilst it's present! three wks ago i awoke vomitin & feeling Faint! so scared i called Ambell...service they said  i had no temp..heart rate norm.....etc the min they left i was sick again!, a few days later Server itchin was felt ! all over my body! inbetween all this i've Had numbness same side down right side of face & Body went to My Doc two days ago he asked i'm i sure it ain't Depression etc horrified ! with his manner i asked why he would even think this way ! OMG! the previous Doc had wrote it in my notes over my head that i went to him for Depression etc all becaused i'd reported him for giving me Antidpressians as a form of pain Killer with out imforming First ! i'm in bits nothing being done. nett
I get the same intense pain in the front-right just above my right eye. The pain is so intense I almost cry. The doctor prescribed Sumatriptan Succinate 50mg tablets. At the very first sign of my headache (within a minute) I take one tablet. It takes about 20 to 45 minutes to work but the pain goes away and stays away for about 12 hours.  I take 2 pills per day, one in the morning and one when I go to bed, all this to prevent the intense pain which can come on in seconds. Hope this helps. I am looking into getting my sinus cyst operated on.
I have suffered from migraines for 20yrs....
I've had 2 surgery to remove polops and CYST'S from both sinuses with-in 3 months of my last surgery I was told the they found another CYST growing yet again in my left sinus cavatiy....
I've been on Percacet's, Feranol (barbituwits) and recently been put onto a new tounge waffer med called Maxalt RPD 5mg...
they take away most medium-moderate migraines with 1 to 2 waffer's with-in minutes BUT ONLY if there Migraines..!!!!!
I still have severe nose bleeds and as of lately there becoming alot more frequent....
my husband wants to force the docters to do more test but they still can't rule anything to a point of the root cause for the pain and the bleeding...

has any body else had the BLEEDING and how did / do you cope with it???
this is so I can follow the postings, thank-you all
I have many of the same symptoms described above. Ear fullness, crackling in the ears when swallowing, headaches among many others. I had a 2.5 mm sinus cyst in my maxillary sinus that I thought was the root to all my problems. Errr. No after I got my surgery things came on with a vengeance. The brain fog, dizziness and ear pain only increased. Also more polyps grew showing an MRI of the brain. So after the anxiety and disgust I wound up spending sometime in a psych ward. Then came some God sent advice be checked out for Lyme disease and sure enough I tested positive. A month into treatment I have seen little improvement but after reading all these posts the symptoms match up verbatim. If I tested positive then more than likely you may too. Many doctors see Lyme as a controversial diagnosis but trust me it's very real. Anyways, I wish you all the best of luck and going through a tragedy like this can be hell so try to find a relaxation technique and for me it is God. He will deliver you from this.
Hope you receive this message you posted so long ago.
My daughter is 13 yrs old & she has been suffering forehead headaches as well. She started to get "headches" as we call them when she was about 5yrs.old. They have since been getting worse. I have taken her for bloodwork & MRI's & everthing came back negative. Just recently in the past 6 moths she told me that the aching is also behind her right eye. So I had taken her to see an ENT specialist. He ordered blood work for allergies, cbc, aniema & so on. He also ordered at CT scan. Well the blood work all came back negative again. However the CT scan shows a LARGE cyst in the right sinus, maxillary I believe it's called. With that being said, he told me that they don't go away on their own & to get a second opinion & possibly have an ESS surgery done. Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. He had also gave her methylprendison 4mg dose to take, didn't work!
Yesterday I took my daughter to see a specialist with UPMC, in Pittsburgh PA. He really made me mad as he said the cyst is no big deal & that no one gets surgery because of it. He said it was something that could shrink & go away or could get larger. He is trying to tell me that she has migraines! No way does she suffer that. The symptoms just don't add up. She has another appt. tomorrow to see another ENT. I'm really hoping to get answers here. She has the headaches everyday always in the same place & they never go away. Out of 7 days of the week she has them all 7days! Somedays about 4...will be very intense for her. I have tried over the counter medicine, doesn't help at all! I have tried so many things with her & she is not getting any relief at all! No other symptoms to list because she doesn't have them.
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! How is your daughter doing now? What treatment did you try, did anything work, did she get surgery & if so how did that go?
I hope all is well with her!
Thanks!
I've had all the same symptoms, aching neck, migraines, Nasal polyp, weak bladder, irritable bowel syndrome  etc and have worked out that I have lyme disease.  I have had it five years.  I had a blood test for lyme disease which was negative but the test is unreliable.
My doctor refused to prescribe antibiotics so I purchased some from Dr fox on the web.
If you have these symptoms I recommend that you buy two months supply of antimaleria treatment, which is Doxycycline and take two 100mg capsules each day after meals for one month.  I'm part way through this course and many of my symptoms have disapeared.
Susan, I am sitting here in shock.

I have been suffering with horrible headaches, weight gain, fatigue, numbness in my fingers and toes on my left side,  vertigo, sinus infections and yep, chronic dry eyes for the last 1 -1/2 years. I have been in a clinical trial for the headaches and was sent t have an MRI because they wanted to rule out brain tumors. The doctor called me yesterday and told me I had no tumor, but had a huge cyst in my left sinus cavity. He said it was almost as big as the cavity itself. I decided to do some research and found these posts. I am in utter shock  right now. I was really starting to think I was losing my mind. I have been on so many medications and nothing seemed to help The only relief I seemed to get is when I drug myself enough to go to sleep.

I am truly sad to hear of others going through the same thing, but also relieved to know I am not alone. I have an appointment with ENT at Kaiser in a week and am hopeing I will know more then.

Thanks for being here!
I'm sitting at work, reading all of your amazing stories, and doing everything I can not to cry.

I have felt so alone in this for the last 2 years, and now am seeing  a bright light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

About 2 years ago I experienced a very bad cold. It got so bad I woke up throwing up and couldn't even walk because I had vertigo so bad. I was taken to the hospital where I was told I had a sinus infection and ear infection. I had 4 sinus infection after that, about 3-4 months apart. My regular doctor never saw me, she would just call in a prescription. Then about a year ago I started having other symptoms, Tired all the time, Rosacea, chronic dry eyes, vertigo off and on, lethargic. tingling in my hands and feet on the left side, and then finally Migraines. I started to feel like I was going mad. Each time I would see a new doctor, I would start to see a look on their face as they would look at my very long chart. YOu know the one, like " oh man, this woman is looney tunes" Finally about 4 months ago I went to the ER with such a bad Migrain that the doctor their must have seen something in my eyes ( I would say desperation was my guess) and he made an appointment with the head of the migraine clinic at Kaiser. they tried several different meds and none of them have really helped. Finally 2 days ago he sent me for my first ever MRI. Guess what they found, yup, a very large cyst in my left sinus cavity. My doctor, who has been running this clinic for like 15 years, said it was one of the biggest cysts he had ever seen, and set me up with an appointment with the HNT department next week. I started to read up today and found all you amazing people. I'm so sorry to hear your all going through such horrible physical pain, but am glad to know I'm not crazy, and that others are experiencing EXACTLY what I am!

My hope is that we are all able to find doctors who are willing to listen and help each of us. No one should have to live their lives this way.
Bless your heart sorry you have gone through so much...... but I just read your message and it really got my attention. I have suffered with migraines since 1989 and since then they have gotten worse. I just received word from A MRI that i have a cyst on my rt. sinus. This pain has been just in the past few months and my doctor says " nothing to worry about" ? Im a little concerned, should i be worried? I dont know????
Thanks for listening,,,,,, Im in terrible pain and frustrated.
Hello. i am having same symptoms with u all..  i am having dizziness, fogy brain, noises from head or ear, weak memory, fatigue, anxiety ...

i went to the neurologist because of these problems and she wanted MRI for brain to see what s wrong.. and results were normal just milimetric cyst on Nasopharenx Posterior Wall looks like Thornwaldt's cyst..

i went to ENT specialist and she said it is not a problem and it doesnt cause any symptoms i am having and no need for surgery .. she gave some antihistaminics and anti allergic drugs.. i dont think they help me .. :/

well i went to neurologist again to solve the problem because i am not imaging those troubles in my head but she didnt beleive me or she thinks they are psychologic. .

are these symptoms because of that milimetric cyst or really do i have psychologic problem ?

i need help .. thank you
Hi I have terrible headaches sometimes these affect my vision and make me dizzy and have had ct scans that revealed 2 cysts in my sinuses. Doctors do no think they are causing the headaches as they are very small but they cant tell me what is causing the headaches. From all the research i have done I think they are.If any one has any views on this tha would help please advise
To ease your headache, do anulom vilom pranayam for 30 minutes ,twice a day. This will also reduce the cysts. Allow 6 months to feel the difference. You have to do it, to benefit.
Hi my daughter ( age 9 )  has had really bad headache since she was about 3 years old, every doctor I have takin her to told me just about the same thing Kids get headaches too,  when she was 6 she fell off a swing hitting her head causeing her to vomit, the er did a ct scan & said her brain was brused but would be ok, after that her headache came more often & more painful, Doctor then said hitting her had like that can cause them to come on more aften not to worry ect.....  
   So now here we are headache just about everyday to everyday, vomiting for no reason, a few bladder infection not that I know if that is related or not!  a year ago next month she had her tonsil & adnoids removed,  & she had an eye exam last year she was boarder line for needed glasses this year year they tell me is a little worse in the left eye, but the test or not showing were a stigma is  just that she has one ! So they dont believe her eye is causing headache but what ever is causing the headache iscauseing the stigma in the eye.  so no to glasses at least for now.  her new pedi  sent her for MRI & came back extensive sphenoid sinus & left ethmoid sinus mocosal disease,  so then we was sent to see our ENT,  He sends her for a special CT scan a Stealth??   & Call me the next day saying it is worse then the MRI has said  she has cyst & polyps compcating 5 of te 8 sinuses, both sphenoid, both ethmoid and a maxillary,  he has her on prednisone for 3 weeks & So far no change & if her headache don't go away within this 3 weeks it will be surgery,  also she get bad bloody noses out of no place,
When I read this discussion for the first time, I literally cried.  So many people that posted on this thread have the same problems that I do so I wanted to share my story as well.  Seeing these posts along with a couple other sites made me feel like I wasn't alone anymore.
On September 17, 2011, I woke up and the entire left side of my face was numb (with tingling and burning sensations).  Literally, put your hand over the side of your face and that is what was numb.  I thought it was a tooth that needed a root canal so I went through with one.  No help whatsoever.  
As time passed, I began getting dizziness, facial pressure, ear pain, jaw pain, neck pain, left shoulder pain, twitching of my left leg, numbness/tingling/burning down my left arm to my fingers and tingling and numbness in a few toes on my left foot.  I would also get nauseated and have horrible headaches.
I went to see my primary care physician and he told me that when you have one-sided problems, it is never good.  He said that I could have a tumor on my brain or possibly MS as it predominantly affects males in my age group.  I had the MRI of my brain and it showed a "4.0 by 2.7 cm retention cyst or polyp in my maxillary sinus".  My PCP was pleased that nothing significant came back on the MRI.  
My PCP referred me to a neurologist and she viewed the MRI without mentioning the cyst.  She seemed to think that my problems derived from an "inflamed nerve" that needed to "calm down".  She put me on a trial of steroids (Prednisone) with no results then Topomax (topamax) with no results and lastly she put me on Amitriptyline with no results either.  At that point, I was desperate to go elsewhere as it seemed she was content to place me on medication for the foreseeable future with no inclination to find what could be causing the problem.
I was then seen by a fantastic neurosurgeon (Dr. Amr El-Naggar in Somerset, KY) because my dad is friends with him.  He took a look at my MRI and the first thing he said was that I had a very large cyst in my sinus cavity and that he would have it checked out first.  He said that if my an ENT did not think it is a big deal then he would pursue treatment for trigeminal neuralgia due to my symptoms.  He then prescribed Neurontin which has made a huge improvement in my daily life but has not completed solved my problems.  I continue to experience the symptoms just not as severe.
I then had a CT scan of my sinuses and brought it to Dr. Wayne Colin in Lexington, KY.  He looked at my CT scan and said that this cyst needs to come out.  In fact, he said it "had to come out".  He said that it would continue to grow and begin to put pressure on my eye and then could migrate towards the brain where it would begin putting pressure on the brain if I left this unattended.  He set me up to have surgery.  He said that he will try to remove the cyst through ESS but if he is not able to remove it all, he will have to perform the Caldwell-Luc procedure.  I will have this done in 3 days.  
I sincerely hope the surgery alleviates my problems.  I really hope that I can stop taking the Neurontin and get back to a normal life.
I will post something after my surgery is over to let everyone know how it went.
Hi my story is similar to all above...left sinus completely full of a cyst- dianogesed as sinusitus. this all started last October  2011 so it's going on 8 months now. I've been to two different ENT specialists and neither of them think the operation will help- the second doctor I went to thinks I have trigeminal neuralgia- the trigeminal nerve is the main nerve that runs through the face- personally I think our cysts are pushing on this nerve causing all these problems- dizziness/vertigo, migraines, sore to touch, numbness, not being able to concentrate ect. The doctor has put me on endep, they also use deptran. Although I haven't found much releif I am looking forward to seeing a neuro sergon as I have been told they know of other medication which can disable the nerve. I can't believe how hard it is to get progress on this issue. I haven't been able to work for over 7 months now I am also getting depressed because of it. We need help! I would love to know any opionions on this. Thanks
Just wondering how your surgery was. Ive been sick for two years and i have a 2 cm cyst in right maxillary. Cant wait to aee if you feel better
Hi all -
Currently recovering from the Caldwell-Luc procedure to remove part of the cyst that was taking up 7/8 of my right maxillary sinus. My oral surgeon said he could not remove all of it because it was too large and would have caused permanent destruction to my face (whatever that means). Anyways, the recovery from the surgery is almost worse than the symptoms I've been suffering from the last two years! Like many of you, I was suffering from a sudden onset of horrendous inexplicable allergies, vertigo, headaches, nosebleeds, and weight gain. Almost exactly two years ago I had an infected wisdom tooth extracted by a dentist (didn't have time to get all of them taken out at the time) and it was a few months after that I started developing all of these symptoms. A few months ago I started getting this nasty taste in my mouth like a dead animal. Went to the dentist; they said I needed a root canal. I went to get a root canal and when the doc injected me with an anasthetic pus spurted out of my gum and all over the doctor (SO GROSS). Called a family friend who is a dentist and they hooked me up with the #1 oral surgeon in the DC area the following morning. When I went in they took a CT scan and saw the huge cyst. 30 minutes later they were putting me under for surgery. Although I was in a lot of pain after the surgery, I immediately felt a huge difference in the side of my face. However, a few weeks later I developed a nasty bacterial infection inside my sinus...I had pus pouring out into my mouth every time I laid down or tilted my head to the side. My surgeon irrigated the sinus and I've been on antibiotics for the last two months. Although I don't have anymore pus I'm still in a lot of pain and keep having swelling. I'm always having to run to the bathroom to spit out huge chunks of mucus that comes from the post-nasal drip and from the (now smaller) incision in my gum. I'm sick and tired of having all this pain and swelling. I haven't been able to do any yoga since it hurts so much to bend my head down. Has anyone else had this much trouble with the Caldwell-Luc procedure??
Yup, this is me! Feeling like I am nuts! Years ago I had a large sinus cyst.  An ENT removed it and I felt great for 2 plus years.

Fast forward to last year, same symptoms, pain, swelling, fatigue, twitches, heat in my cheek, headaches. I got the ENT and he says you need a CT; however, my primary doc say I had 2 CT's 2 years ago and won't give it to me, ugh!!!!!  He sends me to another ENT in the Kaiser system who looks in my nose and sees a "small" cyst and says this issue is not my sinuses! HUH?  

They are thinking the same thing, that its a trigeminal neuralgia.  I do not, I can feel that small cyst in there and it swells in my cheek.

I am the Kaiser system until Jan. 1 then I can switch back to my old ENT who said get the CT scan he said although the cyst is small if it continues to bother me that's a different story.

However, I am barely able to work due to the above mentioned symptoms and I don't know how I'll make it to January.  And my docs at Kaiser aren't listening to me anymore and just want to give me meds.

This is awful.  Any suggestions out there??????
I just got back from ENT Dr today. I made the appt myself after getting the run-around from my primary Dr and Oral Surgeon. I am a 42 year old otherwise healthy female. ENT Dr today found a sinus cyst in my left max sinus that is half the size of my sinus cavity. Also told me that to remove it , he has to open the deviated septum that has caused 95% blockage in my nose, so basicly I'm not getting air on the left side. I have also been suffering with the same symptoms that many of you have: headaches, stick neck, nausea, dizzyness, and also have been having multiple dental abcesses....around the area of the cyst....to the point that three teeth in that area have been removed. In the last year, since all of this started, I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure....which they found when I started complaining about headaches. It was only from reading articles online that I decided to take matters into my own hands and go to this head and Neck Dr to see if the dental problems were connected to the other symptoms. I am scheduled for surgery in less than two weeks to have the Cyst removed. Is anyone else having dental issues or high blood pressure?
Naughtyb....I am in Lexington KY area as well. How are you doing since your surgery?
This page sounds all too familiar.I have been dealing with severe headaches, dizziness, vertigo, nausea, ear pain, hearing loss, memory and concentration issues, fatigue, sinus, eyes, and face pain..I had an inner ear infection last year and the ear pain started then.I associated the headaches to this.I was placed on antibiotics and that seemed to help. but the pain did not go away. Then came nausea and dizziness and falling down..Went to E.R. and had CT.    The ear pain, nausea and vertigo was blamed on Meneire's disease. The CT also showed what they described as a Neoplasm ( Tumor) and Sinunitus as well..I have continued to have all these symptoms with no relief no matter what was tried..I was referred to an ENT who advised that it was in fact a Cyst that had grown up inside my Maxillary sinus.The ENT attempted to scope the Cyst and to do a biopsi..Both of these were unsuccessful, because the Cyst had grown up inside the Maxillary and is in-cased in bone..The Cyst continues to grow and now in fact threatens my right eye because the pressure it is placing on the bone that protects the eye itself..Now they offer surgery.But do the medical cost involved..I am not able to have this at this time...There doesn't seem to  be an end in sight...Please keep me posted everyone on whether or not any of you have gotten any resolution for these issues. Thank you!
I had surgery yesterday with all the same symptoms and praise God I feel better already.  I was told that I had nasal polyps and my all the cavities on the left side of my face were completely blocked.  Antibiotics helps alleviate some symptoms of nasty drainage but not the pain.  After they went in they said I didn't have polyps but rather a cyst, which a cyst medically speaking is any fluid filled sac.  I asked the origin of the cyst and he said it was a mucous gland that was plugged and blew up like a balloon, they popped it and there was a lot of pus and blood, he said until the results from the pathologist come back I'm not out of the woods yet.  I hope you get the help you need, my pain is gone right now I woke up with no pain after taking a Vicodin at 2:30, not entirely sure my body's inflammatory response has completely kicked in but compared to the persistent headaches and some that led to migraines I'm very happy with how I feel right now.  Any person with a cyst in their nasal cavity is going to have pain, unless it's really small but we usually don't seek help without the main complaint being pain.
I had the same problem, initially I thought it was dental related because my teeth hurt bad but after a few days and seeing my dentist the pain went away with teeth but not my head.   I've had high blood pressure as well, I've noticed it more related to my pain it gets really high when my pain wasn't control. I had also had neck pain. It took a trip to the ER finally to get some real medication, sometimes lack of communication between health care professional can leave us feeling in despair, being told that she has never prescribed Vicodin for a sinus infection. That's what you get when your reg. doc is out of the office and a nurse practitioner doesn't read you history, nor did the ENT doc get back with me when I requested meds after I originally declined them. the 75 dollar co-pay to the ER didn't make me happy but I understand how things like this happen & it's our responsibility to give feedback, & I do.  Be persistent I know it can get discouraging, I also have a skin issue that is driving me crazy that know has been able to figure out, our medical model is designed in such a way that they start from the most probable and work their way down & lots of times just treating a symptom without diagnosing its cause.  I see this a lot with my mother in the VA system, she also with my children all have skin problems.  
I loved ur story, to make this short, I have a cysts in my maxillary sinus, and think well pretty sure i will have it removed, but Im more interested in your herbal remedy for geting PG, my daughter has been trying for yrs, can u tell me what it is?
Thank You sick in Texas
i have been suffering with headaches and nose pluggage for years.  For the past 3 weeks have been dizzy, nausea, brain fog, left arm tingle and had chest pain,  Went to er and most tests were for heart but a ct scan showed a cyst in my sinus. Have a appoiment with ent in a week and will find out where to go from here.
Hello my name is Sean.  I am from lexington ky too.    I have been dealing with cyst in my sinus since i was 12 years old.  I am 28 now and have had to have 2 of them removed.   Both have been very painful surgery's.  The sooner you get them check out and removed the better off you will be.  Also if you have them dont drink or smoke.   It will increase the chances of them coming back.   My doctor I see is a oral surgeon at the UK college of dentistry on the 5th floor.   His name is Dr. Kabetto  he is a great doctor with a great staff.   This is such a weird thing to have and im surprised to see so many people posting about it.  At the same time I am glad to see a blog about it it is really tough to deal with and soo painful.   Hope you all get some help from this.    
I have been amazed at how many people have the same symptoms and maxillary cysts, yet are told that there is no connection.  The cysts should at least be drained and treated to see if they ARE the cause.  These people are suffering terribly, spending huge amounts of money while the likely culprit is right there in front of everyone!  As one who has all these symptoms and today had a CT scan showing a large cyst, I am going to insist that my ENT drain/treat it right away.  It all makes sense - the pressure, the eye distortion, the bronchitis from all the crud running down the back of my throat, severe headaches centered on the upper left sinus (that is blocked by the cyst), severe fatigue, etc. etc.  Sheesh!  
I see this was posted a long time ago but my son was diagnosed today with cysts in his sinuses. We never would have known because he is one of the lucky ones who doesn't have symptoms. The only way we found it is because he was hit in the head causing a concussion. During his CT scan they noticed he had enlarged lateral ventricles in his brain and ordered an MRI. That is where they found it and are now sending us to an ENT. I hope you have gotten better results since this post
What is an NRT Specialist?  I've googled that and find nothing.  Am suffering vertigo, have done MRI and find out I have a maxillary sinus polyp, am working w/ENT but after over 2 mo. I am also trying what I can on my own as no help from any docs so far.  P
Has anyone had the symptom of smelling smoke?
You never came back with results, did it work for you? is everything fine again?

Doctors in Vienna again said that it is common and asymptomatic, they do not want to touch my left cyst, headaches are impossible to work with, also have some form of mild bronchitis for months now.

Another doctor in romania was very convinced that it has to be removed via FESS, but he also never said symptoms might be caused by it. I will try and obtain an appointment in the following weeks and try to get it out. Polyps might also be present since my nose is blocked all the time, one side or another.

Will post again, if i manage to have it done. The only thing that can prove conclusive in this confusion are post operation stories. so please post them
i go through the same thing i have mine sence april been ill sick hospitalized everything so im going oct to have mine removed
Hi, can someone please let me know where I can find a Dr in California for the removal of cysts out of my pocket at low cost?  
I have been dealing with severe headaches & neck pain for 3 months now...keep getting bounced from Dr to Dr...I've had a MRI & MRA of my head & another MRI of my neck plus blood work & xrays. The only thing that the neurologist told me is that all the lymph nodes in my neck are swollen. I was put on an antibiotic but it doesn't seem to be helping anything & he sent me back to my PCM for a referral to see someone to figure out why the nodes are swollen...the swelling is due to infection but could be literally ANYTHING.

I've also been dealing with high bp, dizziness, jaw pain, some ear pain, severe burning in my left nostril & my upper left, front teeth hurt like crazy. I finally got in to see my PCM & he asked me if the neurologist told me that I have a cyst in my sinus cavity...WHAT?!...NO...He didn't tell me that!! He is sending me to an ENT & a new neurologist.

This whole thing has been very frustrating. None of the Dr's I've seen want to treat my pain with anything that might actually work...I keep getting put on stuff that makes me so groggy that I sleep all day. I'm quite anxious to get to the ENT to figure out a way to make me feel good again. I can't believe that I have found a site with all these ppl going though the same thing as me. I'm sorry y'all have these issues but I am glad to know that I'm not the only 1.
I had the sinus surgery a few years ago to remove the cyst in my left cavity.  I have one in my right sinus cavity that has been here for a couple of years.  It is starting to bother me now.  I have bee putting the surgery off.  I have since found out that I have a cyst on my thyroid that was found by chance on an MRI I had done for something else.  I am waiting to have my ultrasound to see where we go from here.  I am starting to have sharp pains on the side of my head (temple area) that come and go which concerms me some.  Just not sure if it is due to the sinus cyst or what.  Just want answers with options.
I just curious how many of you have any metal implants?
I've been experiencing all the same symptoms and had MRI which shows maxillary sinus cyst and prominent cervical lymph node and basal ganglia... Going to ENT tomorrow but sounds as if surgery isn't going to help so what next!!? I have a dental implant which I believe to be the cause of all this as it all started when I had it put in...
I have been suffering now for over a year with headaches,  dizziness, nausea, neck pain and facial numbness.  I was sent to ent where they found a nasal cyst in my left nasal cavity but claimed this can't be causing all my symptoms??? After trying various treatments from ent... Nasal sprays,  amitriptyline and allergy tests... nothing helped.  Ent sent me to neurologist I'm now waiting for my M. R. I scan .
i just found out i have had cysts in my sinus cavity for at least 3 years. it *****.
Takeitout, I did have a titanium dental implant and I had it removed a several weeks ago. I also see the connection between various problems and the implant. It would be great if the other contributors also share if they have implants ot other massive dental work done.
It would be interesting to get HLA testing done on those with odd symptoms like exhaustion, blurred vision, light sensitivity and neuropathy. In cases of genetic susceptibility to bacterial endotoxins, Shoemaker's Biotoxin Pathway might explain this.
I have had extreme headaches like your daughter for the last 5 months following a terrible bought of bronchitis and 2 sinus infections.  The dr ordered a ct scan and found that I have a cyst deep in my left sinus cavity.  My dr put me on propanalol which, for me, is a combination of blood pressure and migraine medication.  This is the fourth med I have used for my migraines in the past 9 months.  I see a neurologist in a week. Without this medication, which I take 2 times a day, along with nasonex, I would be mis
     Has your daughter found any relief?  Did she have surgery?
I've been dealing with this for YEARS, and am happy to see that others have the same issues (although unfortunate).  It all started about 6 years ago when I was having bouts of dizziness/vertigo- it was all written off.  My symptoms are sinus pressure, eye pressure, occasional eye floaters, ringing in my ears (L>R), occasional, out of the blue dizziness (I call it dizzy twinges bc it comes and goes so quickly), and almost constant clear nasal drainage (which makes me sniff a lot).  I finally got a doctor to order an MRI 2 years ago and they informed me that I had two sinus cysts, which I was also told would not cause any symptoms... Hmmm... judging by all of you experiencing the same or similar symptoms, I think they are wrong.
I have two questions: One, if I elect to not have anything surgical, what have you all found to be the best treatment options?  And two, do any of you notice that weather plays a factor in your symptoms?  I've noticed that extreme temperatures make it alot worse, and also it's worse on rainy days... Thanks in advance for any advice. :)
Cannot believe it is such bad problem without any effective treatment available! Yes, the spring and winter time make my life miserable; when is warm I feel better.
Probably had this for years, but after my facelift surgery 3 years ago its behavior changed and it is extremely painful.
So it looks like I have to keep it for the rest of my life… since the removal it not the end of the story. How nice!
Follow the pranayam technique described in my Oct 6 ,2011 post in this thread. You will benefit.
Did you get any resolution to your symptoms? I am having all the issues that you have mentioned for past two. Years. Any response will be appreciated.
Hi Catherine,
Thanks for your post. could you please elaborate NRT. I am glad that you found a solution and I hope it is still working for you without any side effects.
Thanks for sharing,
Ral
Ask your doctor to check for sleep apnea. I had it and had 2 surgeries for it. Had symptoms similar to what you were describing.
I'm in shock, which seems to be the common theme here. My daughter has been suffering from daily 24/7 headaches for the past 3 years and thrashing while she sleeps. She has been on more medicines than I can remember. She has had 2 EEG's to rule out seizures, which found spots on her brain. However, the doctor just continued to prescribe meds, with none of them being effective. I finally decided to change doctors... THANK GOD. On our first visit, the new doctor ordered an MRI and 2 sleep studies. The MRI shows enlarged adenoids (adenoids), 2 cysts in her maxillary sinus which covers 25% of the cavity, and her cerebellar tonsils have slid down 3-4mm into her foramen magnum. After talking to a chiropractor friend of mine, he says this could indicate something called a Chiari Malformation. The symptoms of this and the cysts all match the headaches in addition to her being uncoordinated, overweight, dizziness, numbness and much more. Oh and the Topomax (topamax) she was taking at one point caused her to get kidney stones as if the rest of this wasn't enough.
Just like the rest of the posts I've been reading, I've been experiencing many of the same symptoms.  I have been on antibiotics for 3 weeks and my sinus issues were getting worse.  My pcm had me get a CT and they found a 4 cm left maxillary sinus mucous retention cyst which is resulting in mild expansion of the the left maxillary sinus.  They also found that I have a deviated septum and a small septal spur.  No wonder I felt awful and my symptoms were for a reason!!  I'm currently taking more antibiotics and a round of steroids.  My ENT appt is in 2 weeks so I'll be curious what he'll want to do.  All the stories about surgery kind of scare me, but I don't want to keep on going with all the pain???
Can you please tell me where I may purchase these things and how much to take and when?  I have a mass in my maxillary sinus which has even eroded thru the bones on both sides of the sinus and is effecting two teeth as well.  Waiting on results from a lateral biopsy.
I had a cyst removed on Christmas Eve 18 years ago. It was the size of a golf ball. Come to find out I was born with a deviated septum and the drainage hole was very small. My dr did the surgery and removed it and made the one hole larger and also drilled a new one. Along with straightening my nose. After the surgery I had no more headaches like those migraines. I felt tremendously better for all these years until about 6 months ago. I believe I have another one. I have had this migraine with all the other symptoms. So, now I get to make an appt to get CT and see whats going on. One way to give a little comfort is to either make a cup of hot herbal tea to drink and put the tea bags on your area with the most discomfort or use a hot wet cloth.
Good luck
I have had headaches for 10 1/2 weeks and 2 migraines in between. I have had nausea, pain when I sneeze, cough, laugh, or raise my voice. I have drank coffee since I was a child and now at 36 all of a sudden I can't stand it. I am also having the memory loss, irritability, and confusion.  What really scared me was that when I swim under water my head explodes. I went to a neurologist and had an EEG and MRI done. I also. Have a maxillary cyst in my left sinus. I don't see where anyone else have had these other symptoms though. I'm really scared because I have to go on a plane soon and the pressure might cause severe pain.
I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but no child should have to go through all of that.  I know cysts on sinuses can cause a lot of pain.  I just have Sphenoid Sinus problems, and I have gone through headaches going on 4 years.  For her to take medications that caused Kidney stones is just unfair.  I hope she gets some great care going forward.  If they take care of the cysts her sleep will definitely improve.  I can't wait to get treated for my sinus problems and get off all the drugs they prescribed for the wrong reasons.  I hope she feels or is already feeling better.  I never knew sinus problems could cause so many other issues or where so hard to diagnose correctly.
I know this is an old post, however. I was having bad teeth pain and also bad pressure type headaches for the past 2 months. GP finally referred to ENT, since I am having earache and then antiinflammatories he prescribed which he said I had TMJ didn't work. Also during these 2 months I have had lymph node swelling and tenderness which he put me on a course of amoxicillan for which helped with node tenderness. I had similar tooth and node problems 6 yes ago and had CT scan which found a maxillary cyst but ENT said it was no big deal. So I am wondering if this cyst grew a lot and causing much worse issues now. I am also having an odd or bad taste in my mouth that feels like it sometimes runs down the back of my throat. I have also had a lot of dental work done recently and my dentist ruled out my teeth causing my issues. See ENT in week but on list to get in sooner since my earache is getting worse.
my daughter had severe migraine on Mon.  They run in the family .She had to go get a shot to knock her out.  Every time she got up she felt like she was going to pass out, cold sweat, dizzy, fatigue.  I carried her to her Dr. on Wed. and she scheduled a MRI and a Carotid study.  She has had really high BP and is only 28 and on 3 types of BP med.  The MRI showed a 5.1 inch cyst in her sinus cavity or canal. It is the size of a soft ball.  I had open heart surgery at 40, and her sister and I both suffer migraines, her sister since 2nd grade and she is 31 years old now.  Mine started when I was in my 20's, the daughter I'm talking about has headaches a lot, But I can count on one hand how many migraines she has had. My dad died of a brain anuresm at an early age, and my brother has had 2 brain surgeries. He had a Pituatary tumor and they didn't get it all, so 5 years later, he had the Gamaknife Treatment.  THIS IS ONE STRESSED MOM,
I found out I have a musus retention cyst about three months ago. My dentist is the one that found it. He told me it was common and not to worry about it. Well Im in college so I get very stressed. I get headaches some times and nausea. I feel very fatigued and I have noticed an unhealthy weight loss, and lack of appetite and I have always been a big eater. Im not sure if this is due to stress or my cyst.