Terrible Headaches w/ sinus cyst
I have been suffering w/ a terrible headache for three weeks.  I spent the last week in the hospital and doctors found all teswt (CT, MRA, MRI and bloodwork) to be normal.  I have neck pain, vision and hearing problems, dizziness, numbness and tigling in the left side.  I went to my PC and he said they did see a cyst in my sinus cavity.  I knew it was there because of prior scans, but was told it was not a big deal.  He said I sould see an ENT.  I did last year and was told to use nose sprays to dry it up which did not work.  Now the cyst is severe and takes up my entire left sinus cavity.  I want to take all my scans to my ENT (which I have an appt with next week) and say I am miserable and here is why when can you remove this?!  I feel it has been this sinus issue that has plagued me for years.  My question is am I over reacting?  Should I rush surgery or wait?  My headaches are still prestent and cannot be tollerated without barbituates or narcotics.  I don't want to take these foever.  Please help!!
Hello my name is Sean.  I am from lexington ky too.    I have been dealing with cyst in my sinus since i was 12 years old.  I am 28 now and have had to have 2 of them removed.   Both have been very painful surgery's.  The sooner you get them check out and removed the better off you will be.  Also if you have them dont drink or smoke.   It will increase the chances of them coming back.   My doctor I see is a oral surgeon at the UK college of dentistry on the 5th floor.   His name is Dr. Kabetto  he is a great doctor with a great staff.   This is such a weird thing to have and im surprised to see so many people posting about it.  At the same time I am glad to see a blog about it it is really tough to deal with and soo painful.   Hope you all get some help from this.    
I have been amazed at how many people have the same symptoms and maxillary cysts, yet are told that there is no connection.  The cysts should at least be drained and treated to see if they ARE the cause.  These people are suffering terribly, spending huge amounts of money while the likely culprit is right there in front of everyone!  As one who has all these symptoms and today had a CT scan showing a large cyst, I am going to insist that my ENT drain/treat it right away.  It all makes sense - the pressure, the eye distortion, the bronchitis from all the crud running down the back of my throat, severe headaches centered on the upper left sinus (that is blocked by the cyst), severe fatigue, etc. etc.  Sheesh!  
I see this was posted a long time ago but my son was diagnosed today with cysts in his sinuses. We never would have known because he is one of the lucky ones who doesn't have symptoms. The only way we found it is because he was hit in the head causing a concussion. During his CT scan they noticed he had enlarged lateral ventricles in his brain and ordered an MRI. That is where they found it and are now sending us to an ENT. I hope you have gotten better results since this post
What is an NRT Specialist?  I've googled that and find nothing.  Am suffering vertigo, have done MRI and find out I have a maxillary sinus polyp, am working w/ENT but after over 2 mo. I am also trying what I can on my own as no help from any docs so far.  P
Has anyone had the symptom of smelling smoke?
You never came back with results, did it work for you? is everything fine again?

Doctors in Vienna again said that it is common and asymptomatic, they do not want to touch my left cyst, headaches are impossible to work with, also have some form of mild bronchitis for months now.

Another doctor in romania was very convinced that it has to be removed via FESS, but he also never said symptoms might be caused by it. I will try and obtain an appointment in the following weeks and try to get it out. Polyps might also be present since my nose is blocked all the time, one side or another.

Will post again, if i manage to have it done. The only thing that can prove conclusive in this confusion are post operation stories. so please post them
i go through the same thing i have mine sence april been ill sick hospitalized everything so im going oct to have mine removed
Hi, can someone please let me know where I can find a Dr in California for the removal of cysts out of my pocket at low cost?  
I have been dealing with severe headaches & neck pain for 3 months now...keep getting bounced from Dr to Dr...I've had a MRI & MRA of my head & another MRI of my neck plus blood work & xrays. The only thing that the neurologist told me is that all the lymph nodes in my neck are swollen. I was put on an antibiotic but it doesn't seem to be helping anything & he sent me back to my PCM for a referral to see someone to figure out why the nodes are swollen...the swelling is due to infection but could be literally ANYTHING.

I've also been dealing with high bp, dizziness, jaw pain, some ear pain, severe burning in my left nostril & my upper left, front teeth hurt like crazy. I finally got in to see my PCM & he asked me if the neurologist told me that I have a cyst in my sinus cavity...WHAT?!...NO...He didn't tell me that!! He is sending me to an ENT & a new neurologist.

This whole thing has been very frustrating. None of the Dr's I've seen want to treat my pain with anything that might actually work...I keep getting put on stuff that makes me so groggy that I sleep all day. I'm quite anxious to get to the ENT to figure out a way to make me feel good again. I can't believe that I have found a site with all these ppl going though the same thing as me. I'm sorry y'all have these issues but I am glad to know that I'm not the only 1.
I had the sinus surgery a few years ago to remove the cyst in my left cavity.  I have one in my right sinus cavity that has been here for a couple of years.  It is starting to bother me now.  I have bee putting the surgery off.  I have since found out that I have a cyst on my thyroid that was found by chance on an MRI I had done for something else.  I am waiting to have my ultrasound to see where we go from here.  I am starting to have sharp pains on the side of my head (temple area) that come and go which concerms me some.  Just not sure if it is due to the sinus cyst or what.  Just want answers with options.
I just curious how many of you have any metal implants?
I've been experiencing all the same symptoms and had MRI which shows maxillary sinus cyst and prominent cervical lymph node and basal ganglia... Going to ENT tomorrow but sounds as if surgery isn't going to help so what next!!? I have a dental implant which I believe to be the cause of all this as it all started when I had it put in...
I have been suffering now for over a year with headaches,  dizziness, nausea, neck pain and facial numbness.  I was sent to ent where they found a nasal cyst in my left nasal cavity but claimed this can't be causing all my symptoms??? After trying various treatments from ent... Nasal sprays,  amitriptyline and allergy tests... nothing helped.  Ent sent me to neurologist I'm now waiting for my M. R. I scan .
i just found out i have had cysts in my sinus cavity for at least 3 years. it *****.
Takeitout, I did have a titanium dental implant and I had it removed a several weeks ago. I also see the connection between various problems and the implant. It would be great if the other contributors also share if they have implants ot other massive dental work done.
It would be interesting to get HLA testing done on those with odd symptoms like exhaustion, blurred vision, light sensitivity and neuropathy. In cases of genetic susceptibility to bacterial endotoxins, Shoemaker's Biotoxin Pathway might explain this.
I have had extreme headaches like your daughter for the last 5 months following a terrible bought of bronchitis and 2 sinus infections.  The dr ordered a ct scan and found that I have a cyst deep in my left sinus cavity.  My dr put me on propanalol which, for me, is a combination of blood pressure and migraine medication.  This is the fourth med I have used for my migraines in the past 9 months.  I see a neurologist in a week. Without this medication, which I take 2 times a day, along with nasonex, I would be mis
     Has your daughter found any relief?  Did she have surgery?
I've been dealing with this for YEARS, and am happy to see that others have the same issues (although unfortunate).  It all started about 6 years ago when I was having bouts of dizziness/vertigo- it was all written off.  My symptoms are sinus pressure, eye pressure, occasional eye floaters, ringing in my ears (L>R), occasional, out of the blue dizziness (I call it dizzy twinges bc it comes and goes so quickly), and almost constant clear nasal drainage (which makes me sniff a lot).  I finally got a doctor to order an MRI 2 years ago and they informed me that I had two sinus cysts, which I was also told would not cause any symptoms... Hmmm... judging by all of you experiencing the same or similar symptoms, I think they are wrong.
I have two questions: One, if I elect to not have anything surgical, what have you all found to be the best treatment options?  And two, do any of you notice that weather plays a factor in your symptoms?  I've noticed that extreme temperatures make it alot worse, and also it's worse on rainy days... Thanks in advance for any advice. :)
Cannot believe it is such bad problem without any effective treatment available! Yes, the spring and winter time make my life miserable; when is warm I feel better.
Probably had this for years, but after my facelift surgery 3 years ago its behavior changed and it is extremely painful.
So it looks like I have to keep it for the rest of my life… since the removal it not the end of the story. How nice!
Follow the pranayam technique described in my Oct 6 ,2011 post in this thread. You will benefit.
Did you get any resolution to your symptoms? I am having all the issues that you have mentioned for past two. Years. Any response will be appreciated.
Hi Catherine,
Thanks for your post. could you please elaborate NRT. I am glad that you found a solution and I hope it is still working for you without any side effects.
Thanks for sharing,
Ral
Ask your doctor to check for sleep apnea. I had it and had 2 surgeries for it. Had symptoms similar to what you were describing.
I'm in shock, which seems to be the common theme here. My daughter has been suffering from daily 24/7 headaches for the past 3 years and thrashing while she sleeps. She has been on more medicines than I can remember. She has had 2 EEG's to rule out seizures, which found spots on her brain. However, the doctor just continued to prescribe meds, with none of them being effective. I finally decided to change doctors... THANK GOD. On our first visit, the new doctor ordered an MRI and 2 sleep studies. The MRI shows enlarged adenoids, 2 cysts in her maxillary sinus which covers 25% of the cavity, and her cerebellar tonsils have slid down 3-4mm into her foramen magnum. After talking to a chiropractor friend of mine, he says this could indicate something called a Chiari Malformation. The symptoms of this and the cysts all match the headaches in addition to her being uncoordinated, overweight, dizziness, numbness and much more. Oh and the Topomax she was taking at one point caused her to get kidney stones as if the rest of this wasn't enough.
Just like the rest of the posts I've been reading, I've been experiencing many of the same symptoms.  I have been on antibiotics for 3 weeks and my sinus issues were getting worse.  My pcm had me get a CT and they found a 4 cm left maxillary sinus mucous retention cyst which is resulting in mild expansion of the the left maxillary sinus.  They also found that I have a deviated septum and a small septal spur.  No wonder I felt awful and my symptoms were for a reason!!  I'm currently taking more antibiotics and a round of steroids.  My ENT appt is in 2 weeks so I'll be curious what he'll want to do.  All the stories about surgery kind of scare me, but I don't want to keep on going with all the pain???
Can you please tell me where I may purchase these things and how much to take and when?  I have a mass in my maxillary sinus which has even eroded thru the bones on both sides of the sinus and is effecting two teeth as well.  Waiting on results from a lateral biopsy.
I had a cyst removed on Christmas Eve 18 years ago. It was the size of a golf ball. Come to find out I was born with a deviated septum and the drainage hole was very small. My dr did the surgery and removed it and made the one hole larger and also drilled a new one. Along with straightening my nose. After the surgery I had no more headaches like those migraines. I felt tremendously better for all these years until about 6 months ago. I believe I have another one. I have had this migraine with all the other symptoms. So, now I get to make an appt to get CT and see whats going on. One way to give a little comfort is to either make a cup of hot herbal tea to drink and put the tea bags on your area with the most discomfort or use a hot wet cloth.
Good luck
I have had headaches for 10 1/2 weeks and 2 migraines in between. I have had nausea, pain when I sneeze, cough, laugh, or raise my voice. I have drank coffee since I was a child and now at 36 all of a sudden I can't stand it. I am also having the memory loss, irritability, and confusion.  What really scared me was that when I swim under water my head explodes. I went to a neurologist and had an EEG and MRI done. I also. Have a maxillary cyst in my left sinus. I don't see where anyone else have had these other symptoms though. I'm really scared because I have to go on a plane soon and the pressure might cause severe pain.
I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but no child should have to go through all of that.  I know cysts on sinuses can cause a lot of pain.  I just have Sphenoid Sinus problems, and I have gone through headaches going on 4 years.  For her to take medications that caused Kidney stones is just unfair.  I hope she gets some great care going forward.  If they take care of the cysts her sleep will definitely improve.  I can't wait to get treated for my sinus problems and get off all the drugs they prescribed for the wrong reasons.  I hope she feels or is already feeling better.  I never knew sinus problems could cause so many other issues or where so hard to diagnose correctly.
I know this is an old post, however. I was having bad teeth pain and also bad pressure type headaches for the past 2 months. GP finally referred to ENT, since I am having earache and then antiinflammatories he prescribed which he said I had TMJ didn't work. Also during these 2 months I have had lymph node swelling and tenderness which he put me on a course of amoxicillan for which helped with node tenderness. I had similar tooth and node problems 6 yes ago and had CT scan which found a maxillary cyst but ENT said it was no big deal. So I am wondering if this cyst grew a lot and causing much worse issues now. I am also having an odd or bad taste in my mouth that feels like it sometimes runs down the back of my throat. I have also had a lot of dental work done recently and my dentist ruled out my teeth causing my issues. See ENT in week but on list to get in sooner since my earache is getting worse.
my daughter had severe migraine on Mon.  They run in the family .She had to go get a shot to knock her out.  Every time she got up she felt like she was going to pass out, cold sweat, dizzy, fatigue.  I carried her to her Dr. on Wed. and she scheduled a MRI and a Carotid study.  She has had really high BP and is only 28 and on 3 types of BP med.  The MRI showed a 5.1 inch cyst in her sinus cavity or canal. It is the size of a soft ball.  I had open heart surgery at 40, and her sister and I both suffer migraines, her sister since 2nd grade and she is 31 years old now.  Mine started when I was in my 20's, the daughter I'm talking about has headaches a lot, But I can count on one hand how many migraines she has had. My dad died of a brain anuresm at an early age, and my brother has had 2 brain surgeries. He had a Pituatary tumor and they didn't get it all, so 5 years later, he had the Gamaknife Treatment.  THIS IS ONE STRESSED MOM,
I found out I have a musus retention cyst about three months ago. My dentist is the one that found it. He told me it was common and not to worry about it. Well Im in college so I get very stressed. I get headaches some times and nausea. I feel very fatigued and I have noticed an unhealthy weight loss, and lack of appetite and I have always been a big eater. Im not sure if this is due to stress or my cyst.
hey Alicia, thanks for your post. I am sorry to hear you have had so many problems. I too have been diagnosed with Lymes disease. It has affected my memory, severe fatique, Lyme's carditis which brought about a heart attack. my lymesliterate doc saved my life when all local dr's including the #1 infection disease Dr in Memphis told me Lymes disease nor the tick that carries it is in Tennessee...funny after he tested me with the western blot test to basically shut me up..the test came back positive..to this day he has never called me to say my test was positive...I too am have been diagnosed with a cyst in my sinus's I now suddenly am suffering from horrific allergy/sinus congestion, red watery eyes, headaches, the worst thing is I feel like I am strangling on mucous feeling stuck between my sinus and my throat..it never goes away..i try to grossly clear it by snorting/drawing it down my throat so I can spit it out and I have tried to loosen it wnough to blow it out my nose..nothing has worked and it is driving me crazy and is very uncomfortable....did you ever hear back about your question of having your cyst removed? I would like to talk more about your lymes to if you are also interested. my email is ***@****
hi frank, I pretty much have the same symptoms as you , I also have a cyst in sinuses, just wondering if you have found out anything or had any surgery and are feeling any better
HI , I SEEN YOUR POST ABOUT ELDERBERRY EXTRACT and NRT reducing the cyst. What is NRT i cant find info on it and how long did you you take elderberry for?
So,  i have just had surgery today. I am already glad i did it eventhough i am still a bit dizzy, i have tampons in my nose etc.
I am an expat in Singapore. Fast service here. Friday i went to see a ELN because i was having headaches, when i pressed my eye my sinus was a bit painful, i was sometimes getting grumpy while i never had that before, i had issues with my teeth alignment etc. He had a scan made and there we saw that my left sinus was totally full. Totally, even fuller than the seize of my right sinus. This immediately indicated a cyst. A cyst is like a baloon that gets bigger. The liquid can not go out so the balloon presses all direction up to the level than bones start to "move/grow different direction). This caused in my case eye issues, headaches, jaw alignment issue etc.
Already now my jaw and eyes feel better immediately after surgery.
So then i saw a dental surgeon and another dentist the same day to exclude a detal issue as the root cause. Then on monday ( three days after diagnosis) i had the operation. The dr went in through the nose ( full anesthetics so that i would not move) and punched the cyst through the sinus opening that was blocked by the cyst membrane and sucked it empty, then removed the membrane and cleaned it inside.
Hi MagdayInn,
I dont know where you are with your daughters Cyst, but with that seize i would remove it. I have just posted my experience on this site. My sinus was totally full with a cyst. I am sure it was causing headache and eye problem. The problem is that the membrane keeps growing so it presses all directions inside the sinus. Now one day after surgery i feel already much better. Today they removed the tampons from my nose. What a relief. I can breeth freely. Headache gone. I got the video of the surgery so i can see what it looked like and what happened inside. Such a huge cyst. It explain the issues i had and since the issues are now gone i rest my case.
So i can imagine with your daughters large cyst that that could also cause her headache. Succes
I HAD AN MRI LAST WEEK FOR SEVERE PAIN IN MY SHOULDER, THEY DID MY NECK ALSO, TODAY I WENT TO GET MY RESULTS. TURNS OUT MY ROTATOR CUFF HAS A TEAR, MY NECK HAS A BULGING DISC AND ALSO HAVE CYSTS IN MY SINUS CAVITIES WITH SINUSITIS, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF CYST IN YOUR S. CAVITIES. NOW I WILL HAVE TO GO TO YET ANOTHER DOC. I'VE ALREADY HAD HEART ATTACK, DOING GREAT AFTER ANGIOPLASTY, I HAD BRAIN SURGERY 4 YEARS AGO, BUT I AM DOING OK NOW. IT IS AMAZING WHAT THE HUMAN BODY CAN TAKE! I AM GOING TO TRY ANTIBIOTICS FIRST, I HATE GOING TO THE DOC ALL THE TIME
you were talking about clearing up mucus. I have one of those kits that has a battery and you fill it with water and the saline solution, you put it up one nostril and turn it on, the water runs out of the other nostril, you do both sides. you would be surprised at how much stuff comes out. it would be worth a try. cost about $15 at Walmart. does anyone that have cyst in their sinus cavities lost their sense of taste and smell, I wonder if that is why I lost mine about a year ago. I love coffee but it taste horrible now. I just found out today about the cysts.
Hi,... just read your post. I absolutely have been having dry eyes. this has been going on for over a year and with all the other symptoms, facial pain , massive headaches, ALL the rest of what other people have stated!!!! Have an appt. today for a cervical epidural steroid injection (now knowing because he's ignoring the cyst.(had MRI that showed cyst, and cervical spondylosis) My pharmacist and primary Dr. have said just last night,.... NO due not get injection. Too risky while having infection. Not liking this "Head/Neck and Spine" Dr. at all at this moment. Not sure even what too say to him in the next two hours!!!!
I'm having a terrible pain on my left nasal eye side also , my left side of the face is numb ,went to er and took a ctc , they found a cyst in my lacrimal duct maybe causing all this symptoms , do someone knows what specialist will remove this cyst ?
please I can't holding this anymore.
thank you.
I'm having a terrible pain on my left nassal eye isde also , my left side of the face is numb ,went to er and took anctc , they found a cyst in my lacrimal duct maybe causing all this symptoms , do someone knows what specialist will remove this cyst ?
please I can't holding this anymore.
thank you.
I have a few points you should consider with nasal cysts and having CT scans.
There are two risks with CT scans.  The xray radiation has about a 1 in 100,000 risk of causing cancer for each 10 years of your life.
If you have two CT scans then that risk rises to 1 in 50,000.  The more CT scans you have the higher your cancer risk.
There is also a higher risk of getter  hyperthyroidism from the contrasting medium.  That risk seems to be about 1 in 8.
I've read that cysts always come back after a few years.
The CT scan makes the surgeons job a lot easier.
You need to way up wether it's worth having the CT scan.
The hospital I went to refused to treat my cysts because I would not have a CT.

I believe I've had Lyme disease for twenty five years but my test for that was negative.
I was put on Amlodipine for high blood pressure five years ago that made my sinuses much worse although at the time I did not realise that.
It also made my migraines worse.  
The migraines stopped when i bought and took Doxycycline 3.5 years ago but have started again now after
the Amlodipine was changed to Folpik (another calcium channel blocker).
I stopped taking the Folpik for two weeks but because my blood pressure is too high I decided to start taking Amlodipine again.
I took this at 17:00.  During the night I woke with bad aching sinuses and by the morning they were very bad.
They only stopped aching by the end of the afternoon.  I guess this is the time it took for the Amlodipine to disperse.
I've had sinus aches for a long time early in the night but by the morning they are better.
That was when I was taking  Amlodipine at about 08:00 in the morning.
It's only now that I've made the connection between the amount  Amlodipine in my body and the sinus aches.

I wondered if anyone else has had the same problem with calcium channel blockers?
Did you have your cyst removed? How are you now? Do you still have symptoms and problems?
How are you doing since the removal of your sinus cyst?
How are you doing now since the removal of your sinus cyst?
I had a problem with nasal cyst causing repeated sinusitis for many years. To treat this condition, I had to be very careful to stay hydrated and took a lot of green vegetables and herbal teas.  I am amazed to say that the entire fleshy growth was naturally ejected through the nasal passage just a few days ago.
oh wow, i am so grateful i discovered this site.
my partner had an x-ray done on his experience and they discovered a 2cmx2.5cm white-colored identify in his right nasal. he is affected by frustration and eye trouble for a couple of decades now. the physician refered him to a ENT a few weeks. i am throwing out about the results! what if its not a cyst?!
i wish you all the best!
Hi, I just read your story. I know it's from years back at this point, but am curious--how did it all turn out? Hope you found the answers!

I'm curious how your surgery went. I am facing surgery as well and wanted to see how everything turned out for you.