Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Tinnitus and earcache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Tinnitus and earcache

Hi everyone. Just wanted to run a quick question by those that may be able to offer some advice. I am a healthy 40 year old guy. About 2 months ago I started noticing at night the ringing in my ears was louder than normal. I say louder cause I think I have always had mild tinnitus in both ears that I usually could only hear when it was very quiet or I plugged my ears shut. Anyways after that I started getting a earache in my right ear. It would come for a few days then go away for a week or so then come back again. I would take ibuprofen but that would only eliminate some of the discomfort but not all. I would also use the ear drops that are supposed to help ease the pain with little result. The pain is not horrible but irritating. I don't seem to notice any hearing loss.  I did develop a cold about 2 weeks ago that has my head and chest congested so I don't know if the earache and tinnitus was just the first indicator of the oncoming cold. The cold has been clearing up over the las few days.  What can cause an earache to come for a few days then go away and come back again? Also the tinnitus is always there but only noticeable when it is quiet. Like I mentioned I have had this I believe but more noticeable now. Thanks for advice in advance.
Tags: tinnitus