Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Viral infection with ringing in ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Viral infection with ringing in ears

About 6 days ago I became ill. The symptoms are low fever - 99 degrees, mild ringing in my ears with some mild loss of hearing in one ear, overall feeling of fogginess, loss of appetite, lethargy, and breathing difficulty where sometimes I feel like I have to consciously breathe when I'm at rest. The ringing caused no sleep for about 4 nights, and the breathing kept me from falling asleep one night.

After 6 days, the ringing in one ear has subsided to the point where I can now sleep, the other ear remains the same. The breathing sometimes keeps me from sleeping, and comes and goes but does not interfere with any other activities. I can work and climb stairs, the breathing is just sometimes uncomfortable when at rest.

I saw doctor, doctor said I had viral infection in sinuses/ears and I should wait 7-10 days for it to clear. My lungs are perfectly clear. Suggested mucilage/expectorant.

While I feel much better today and slept 9 hours last night, the ringing in one ear remains and I still have these mild breathing spells that sometimes keep me from sleeping. Appetite is resuming, lethargy is gone. I feel foggy, but I attribute that to lack of sleep as I did not sleep for four nights.

Prior to this I did not have these symptoms, they all hit at once.

Question: Are these symptoms common for viral infections? Is there any reason not to expect my ears to clear and the ringing to completely go away? Is there anything I can do, and is there any reason for alarm?