Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Why do I hear my heartbeat in my left ear :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Do you have any information I can read to explain why I hear my heart beat in my left ear? I had a brain tumor removed 2 years ago (benign meningioma). Two months ago my left ear became clogged with fluid  I went to an ENT who cleared out the ear and said I had earwax mixed with skin that was removed  She gave me ear drops, antibiotics, anti congestents....told me to eat less salt but I still heard my heartbeat-then she ordered a CT and MRI.........because the MRI came back with no abnormalities save for no identifiable cause to account for the bony asymmetry of the IAC...with no other tests to rule out any other possible causes she said I had Menieres disease...and sent me on my way.....oh she also did a hearing test and said I had a slight hearling loss in both ears .  ..She seemed unconerned and sent me on my way.....about the menieres  disease..I do not think have the classic symptions....  I am not dizzy no vertigo, I do not hear sounds in my ears other than my  heartbeat  I do not have pressure in my ear-only feels like fluid-and no other sounds than my hearbeat...according to this site http://www.menieresinfo.com/symptoms.html#menieres-disease-symptoms  it said ....so I went to my Nuerologist.....I am having a MRA tomorrow- I had a CT and MRI already-slight abnormalities in the CT scan .......The notes regarding my CT scan  say:  Mastoids appear aerated bilaterally. Incidental note is made of an aerated  petrous apex on the right. The petrous apex on the left is non-aerated. Incidental note is made of slight asymmetry of the internal auditory canals with the left being slightly expanded relative to the right.
Then I had an MRI- it said it was normal without mass, shift, or hemorrhage. No evidence of enhancing lesion. However no identified mass lesion to account for bony asymmetry of the internal auditory canals as visualized on CT.

So I went to my Nuroligist-he has set up 3 tests one I am having tomorrow, MRA...then he ordered a sleep deprived EEG <since I have had small  seizures due to the brain tumor removed....and a carotid artery test.  

Sorry this is so long-I am just worried something will happen to me while I am driving around with my 4year old son in the car. Please emal me if you have any information. ***@****
Your personal email address is not going to appear in public posts.  

You real issue sounds vascular in my opinion.  This is DEFINITELY no Meniere's Disease.  Good thing they are obtaining a MRA, the EEG, etc.  

Keep us posted.  

You are experiencing a pulsatile tinnitus it is indeed a rare thing to happen. Probably after excision of the meningioma there must have been an arterio venous shunt which is causing this or else there should be a small glomus tympanicum in the middle ear. The other causes being Carotid stenosis (closing or narrowing of the vessel), vascular loop (of the internal auditory canal), Persistent stapedial artery (close to the stapes bone), etc.

I would encourage you to consult a good ENT surgeon and get it resolved. The chances of this above symptoms being Meniere’s disease are remote.

Anymore doubts you are welcome.

Regards
OHNS2010