Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Wind and vertigo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Wind and vertigo

I am wondering if wind as an affect with vertigo?   I have been outside and when I return inside I get really dizzy...today I went all numb in my face.  
Tags: vertigo
the weather seems to affect my balance, sinus and middle ear pressure, and dizziness. usually when "fronts" come through or it is humid outside, or basically any time the weather is changing quickly, i get dizziness, but not true vertigo. i dont know exactly how, but yes, it seems like the weather makes ear problems worse. maybe it has something to do with airborne allergies causing eustachian tube problems, which would in turn lead to ear/balance problems???
Although I don't have a problem with vertigo....wind does affect me greatly. The "pressure" sensation from wind makes my ears hurt....whether it be from running outside, windows down in a car, etc. The pressure also causes balance/dizziness problems. At first...even a light breeze would cause intense ear pain.

I suffer from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and ear pressure problems after I was injured in an explosion in Iraq.

Nate
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your comment...what is Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?  I have ear plan all the time and dizziness.
You can do a search on this site on others for Eustahian Tube Dysfunction(ETD) and get a much more detailed and eloquent response than mine(lol).

Basically, your Eustachain Tubes connect your ear to the back of your nose. (Try holding your nose and blowing gently...did your ears pop??) This tube equalizes pressure. There is a flap there in the back of your nose that opens/closes as necessary to eqaulize pressure b/t your inner ear and outside(flying, driving in the mtns, etc).

When you have ETD.....that mechanism doesn't work right. The flap either sticks shut or stays open all the time...causing all sorts of issues (ear pain, feeling of pressure, balance issues, dizziness, vertigo, "booming voice", etc.) It seems there are many, many different symptoms.

Someone else help me out here...what am I missing?

Nate