Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear infection/eustachian tube issue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear infection/eustachian tube issue

I have had issues with always getting water in my ears after washing my hair for some time now, but it has never created an issue before.

A few weeks ago, everything I heard sounded robotic and cartoon like. this lasted for about 30 minutes and stopped. I took my daughter to a waterpark and a few days later, developed horrible pain when touching my cheekbone, ear, jaw, etc. The dr said I had an external ear infection from the water park and gave me antibiotic drops. I didn't even think at that time to mention that I had an issue with my hearing before that.

when I would use the drops, I would feel a swoosh of pressure in my ear, then they would sit in the same place. there was never a pop after the swoosh and it felt like something was blocking the drops from going all the way in, this was the same in both ears.

after a few days, my ears felt better, but after I washed my hair, they started to feel full. they constantly popped and then the pain came back, so I started using the drops again for about a week. I had the hearing robots issue again at that time also.

last night, I had an episode of vertigo and if I lay flat, I felt like my ears/sinuses/eyes were going to explode. I had to sleep propped up.

This morning, reading some things I the web, I closed my mouth, pinched my nose and blew out and immediately, I felt a big pop and it felt like someone turned up the volume several notches, but I had not noticed that I was not hearing well before. Now, I have a headache and my ears are a little sore and they are still popping.

Does this sound like infection, or something I need to see an ENT about?

I also have an autoimmune issue, and I never know if that factors in with any other health problem.

thank you for reading.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, its likely that you developed a middle ear infection also. The popping would have opened up the eustachian tubes, and the fluid could have drained out, hence the improvement in hearing. With your symptoms of vertigo and diminished hearing you have to consult an ENT specialist. It could also be due to inner ear problems. I suggest you consult and discuss your symptoms with him. In the meantime do not apply ear drops, as they should not be applied if the tympanic membrane has ruptured and you can use OTC Acetaminophen for relief from pain. Take care and get well soon. Regards.