Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear popping and fullness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear popping and fullness

I have had popping and fullness in my ears when I swallow since May.  I have had mild tinnitus for 20 years which has grown worse with the popping.  After several visits to the ENT doctor he said my hearing was normal but my left ear was slightly retracted, but despite trying I am unable to "pop" that ear, the right one will "pop" easily.  Before putting ear tubes in, which after reading several posts on this message board, I definitely do not want, he said because I have symptoms in both ears it might be TMJ.
I have been to a dentist who specializes in TMJ treatment and he confirmed I do have it.  I have been receiving treatments for a month and the popping and fullness are unchanged.
How long does it take for the muscles to relax and the ear symptoms to abate?  Could there be another cause for my ear problems that I could pursue?
I am 29 years old and experiencing about the same thing. Or at least I think...I have no clue what it could be. The only thing I can tell ya is I think It is possible to be sinuses...If I find a cure I promise you will be the first to know. I was thinking of trying ear candleing...check it out on youtube. I have had a bunch of friends tell me they have done it and it feels great!
Sorry you are having the same problems as I am, but it's good to know I am not alone or crazy.  My ENT wonders why I am so bothered by these things.  I just know my ears don't feel or sound right.  I will continue to keep you informed of my diagnosis and treatment.
I went for a second opinion last week and this ENT basically agreed with the first diagnosis and I was getting the proper treatment.  He gave me another hearing test which again was normal, but this time he found no retraction in my left ear - which is the first time it tested normal since my symptoms began.  So maybe I am on the right track with the TMJ treatment.  I asked why my left ear doesn't pop and he said he thought it might be anatomical.  Narrower eustachian tube, less cartilidge, hard to tell exactly.  He also said that ear tubes would be my decision and the risks were minimal, but they might not be a long term answer as after they come out I might be right back where I am now.  I think I will live with the fullness for now and hope that the TMJ treatments provide more relief.  He said it could take a long time.  It's only been a month or so since I started treatment.  Hope you have found relief.  It is horrible feeling this way day after day, week after week.