excessive hacking especially after eating or drinking
Help! Since I had a sinus infection in March of this year, I have developed this hacking problem. I will get copious amounts of saliva or mucus after eating and drinking fluids. Sometimes I will need to hack at least 3-5 times to clear my throat. I have this terrible smell sometimes when I blow my nose. I feel like there is mucus just sitting in the back of my throat. I sometimes blow bright yellow discharge from my nose and hack up yellow mucus sometimes. I took 10 days of antibiotics in March and also have done another round of antibiotics in October of this year. I still have the same problem. I have tried Astelen Nasal Spray, Flonase, Allegra, Loratidine, Claritin, Pepcid, and medications with Guafenisin. Nothing helps. Sometimes I lose my voice when talking due to all the mucus in the back of my throat. I do have a deviated septum. I have been prone to migraines since a child. I still experience pain in my left cheek bone once in a while. I've been told after having numerous allergy test that I am not allergic to anything. My allergist told me I have a sensitive nose and that there is nothing he can do for me. He told I could help desensitize my smell by using pepperment, such as sucking on pepperment candy or buying some kind of spray that has the smell of pepperment. Sometimes I wake with a sore throat. I assume this is because of all the mucus. I drink plenty of fluids. Sometimes the mucus is so thick I feel like I'm going to choke trying to hack it up. Help, I know I'm not crazy, these symptoms are real.
Have you tried irrigating your sinuses twice a day? You can use a Neti pot, available at many health food stores. There are also electric nasal irrigators available- looks kinda like an electric toothbrush. It may help you avoid repeated antibiotic treatments- those of us with sensitive airways need to save ourselves for pneumonia, antibiotically speaking. I have hacking too, but usually after drinking or eating something cold and/or thick. That's asthma in my case. It's triggered pretty easily these days thanks to my sinus issues. Have you been tested for it? Does breathing cold winter air cause hacking as well? That can be an indication too. Asthma isn't always shortness of breath, it can be coughing. And it's not always inherited - I'm the first case ever in my family, and I believe my sinus problems caused it over time.
One other thing - when I had bronchitis I hacked uncontrollably whenever I tried to eat anything at all.
One more thing - I have read stories of miraculous recoveries from congestion, fatigue, etc. when dairy was eliminated from the diet. Haven't been able to pull this off myself, but if you're woman enough to live a life without cheese, butter and all else that's good you could try that.
Try changing your diet:  eliminate dairy, load up of vegetables and fruits, WHOLE grain products.  Take some supplements:  a good Quality Multivitamin, Omega Fatty acids, Vitamins B and C.
That is a good way to get started.  Cut out ALL processed foods.
I think you'll be surprised how you feel after just a few weeks!