Ear, Nose & Throat Community
extreme sensitivity to smells

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

extreme sensitivity to smells

My son, age 35, has always had a sensitive nose, but the last few months it has gone way beyond that. For example, if I make popcorn in the Microwave, he about goes ballistic, He runs through the house opening windows and doors, turns on fans and even opens our attic trap door. This is driving me nuts. He smells things no one else in the house does. I'm looking for some idea as to the cause and how to treat this. This sensitivity seems to be increasing  and more and more things provoke this behavior. Any ideas, thoughts?
I also have similar reactions to smells. Sometimes it is so extreme, that everything with a smell affects me and My throat wants to close. I start to caugh and sometimes have trouble breathing. If I am shopping in a supermarket, there are some Isles I cannot even walk down, including Cofee area (with grinding machine used recently); also soap and detergent Isles where I cover my mouth and nose if I need to get something from that isle. Perfumes, hair products and even washing my hands with a scented soap will activate the allergic state if I put my washed hands near my nose.
It is difficult to get products with no scent. Even Ionic purifiers emit a smell I am aware of and do not like. I have had the microwave popcorn smell drive me crazy, too. I thought it may be connected to asthma type problems. I also find a lot of mucus accumulates in my chest along with the throat closing feeling. I started using Mucinex which helped somewhat. I still was having the throat closing feeling. I used someone's inhaler in a pinch, and I got some relief for the moment. My next thought was to get an otc inhaler such as Bronkaid. The store was out of them, so I tried the Bronkaid caplets. They did the trick and are helping to keep this problem managable as I do not have health Insurance and take otc meds to help. The bronkaid caplets contain Guafenessin (as in Mucinex) and a Bronkio-dialator, which helps the throat closing feeling. When I am in this allergic state, it continues to get worse. When I take the Bronkaid caplets, the relief is within 10-15 minutes. They can be repeated every 4 hours as needed. Some days, I do not need as many as other days.  Other things that bother me are cut grass, fireplace fires, smoke coming out of chimneys, food cooking and some smells that I love like scented candles, but make me sick. This is a real problem for a lot of people. Hope this info is helpful.
2 Years ago I used a hair bleach and I have not been the same since. I have the same issue with smells as you and Mamare. It has ruined most things in my life and effected my family and financial situation. I was told my throat and nose lining got burned but they healed. I don't believe this because I have not gotten at all better. I have a carbon filter mask and you should try free and clear and vanicream products. They are totally fragrance free. Other than that I don't know a cure. Jill former hairstylist
I am 60 years old and have been suffering from this problem for over 20 years.  The worst thing is having people who have no sense of smell tell you that it is all in your head and then tell you that you are emotionally unstable because that makes you mad!  I don't know where to find help...but know that you are not alone and not crazy.
Linda Rocco
I have severe migraine headaches and smells -any kind- are bothering me a lot. It is just getting so worse that I am at the end of my patient and energy to deal with that. I cannot be with my friends, relatives or any one else who even just washes her/his hair with a regular shampoo. As Linda says, people also tell me that it is all in my head which also drives me crazy. Except smells, many kind of food, vegetables, friuts and beverages also makes me sick. I am just wandering how Linda has dealt with it for 20 years? Did you get any medication, which doctors have you visited for this extreme sensitivity to smell?

Miriam
My husband also suffers from this.  The only "treatment" plan that I've seen recommended on this site other than avoidance is anxiety treatment. I realize that it is insulting to suggest that your/his suffering is in the mind and I don't believe that it is.  However, I do wonder if any one on this site has had any success/failure with anti anxiety medication as a treatment that they are willing to share.