Ear, Nose & Throat Community
fungal ear infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

fungal ear infection

I was diagnosed with a fungal ear infection (tropical ear) today - I have had repeatedly dealt with 'swimmers ear' over the past 3 years, sometimes as often as 3 times per year.  I have had severe pain in the affected ear, as well as pain in the temple on the affected side.  Starting 2 days ago, the lymph node behind that ear (which has been swollen since Nov. 07) became extremely painful.  It's like having cramps in the side of your neck at times.  My ENT prescribed ZOTO-HC OTIC SOL.  My question:  Is or has anyone else dealt with this type of infection - and how long does the pain last?  I have been in pain since New Year's Eve, and used three different types of drops, along with Zithromax.  The only thing that seems to help is piggy-backing Aleve and Ibuprofen (2 Aleve, 2 Ibuprofen three hours later - repeating evey 6 six hours).  I know that is twice the recommended amount of Aleve you should take in a day, and you shouldn't combine the two - but I am at my wits end - I have to be able to function to work and take care of my kids!  Tylenol is useless.  Any suggestions??
my daughter was diagnosed with swimmers ear 3 yrs ago when pregnant.she has suffered about 8 attacks, and is currently suffering with her worst attack yet. drops and antibiotics have made it worse, she is having swabs done tomorrow. the pain is unbearable and she is living on paramol and ibuprofen.hope ur problem is now resolved
x
I have also suffered the same since the eight month of my pregnancy almost 3 years ago.  After several different types of drops and medications, I still have regular occurrences.  I won't take the drops anymore because they seem to always make it worse.  In fact, twice, the drops have caused a build-up on both of my ear drums leaving me deaf in both ears.  My ENT doc thought it might have been due to diabetes, but my tests came back clear of that.  I wish I had suggestions, but for now I share your pain.  
Ever since they packed my ear canal with an antifugal dye, and antifungal cream for 5 days, I have been pain free.  I do keep the ear very dry using ear putty when I shower, and I always use a Q-tip to make sure the ear canal is dry, just in case some moisture made it through.  Good luck
I've had that antifungal purple stuff in my ears for 3 visits in a row, 10 days apart, just within the last month.  And I'm still in pain.  The infections in both ears keep jumping from fungal to bacterial, and back, and the dr's are confused.  Meanwhile, I sit in pain with poor sleep quality and it's taking its tole on me.  I have been putting cotton in my ears while I shower, and using q-tips afterwards just in case, but nothing seems to help.
I think I am suffering from th same thing. It started 3 months ago and the doctor prescribe drops but they made it worst and im still suffering. I cant sleep, cant hear and now I am losing co-ordination on the left side wher everything I hold falls.

Please if someone can help becasue my doctors cant.
I had a horrible bout with what I thought was an ear infection. My family physician said I had a build up of wax in my ear and flushed my ear repeatedly. He also gave me a prescription of antibiotics. This was Christmas Eve morning.  By Christmas night my ear felt like it was swollen shut. I couldn't hear and I was in agonizing pain.  The next day I went to an emergency clinic because my doctors office was closed for the holiday. The emergency doctor said I had just scratched my ear canal and it had a bacterial infection so he gave me antibacterial drops.  I had difficulty even getting the drops into my ear because it was so swollen.  Within a couple of days the pain was unbearable. My equilibrium was so off I was continually feeling nauseous.  I finally got in with an ENT after New Years.  He said I had a bad fungus that was clogging up my ear and pressing against my eardrum.  He took me by the shoulders and said "NEVER! NEVER! EVER! Let anyone flush your ear.  That is the worst thing the doc could have done.  Furthermore he said that taking antibiotics just allowed the fungus to thrive.  He explained there is a delicate balance with the ear canal of bacteria and fungus. The strong antibiotic combined with the drops killed the bacteria and the fungus went wild.  He aspirated my ear and extracted this huge gross hunk of fungus which almost made me lose my lunch, but instantly the pain subsided and I could hear.  The ENT also instructed me to always protect my ears when taking a shower.  He suggested putting a piece of cotton and then a layer of vaseline on top to seal it. It's a hassle but so far it has worked well.  My sympathy to all of you.  Good health!  Keep those ears dry.
KIM  WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU SAY TO SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN TO THE ENT  FOR 6 VISITS  AND  IT  KEEPS ON COMING BACK LIKE THE ENERGIZER BATTERIE???  THAT'S WHAT  GOING ON W/ME' I'D LIKE A DR TO ANWSER ONE OF MY POST. A SIMPLE INFECTION IS COSTING ME ' MONEY PAIN ETC... I CAN DEAL WITH IT , I JUST WANT IT OVER... I LOVE MY ENT AND I TRUST HIM , I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS.

HI
I had an infection like this one time and I put antifungal cream in my ear a couple of times a day, but also I took a swimmers ear bottle from wally world and put half peroxide and half alchohol in the bottle. Every time I took a shower, I would put the swimmers ear bottle in a cup of warm water and warm it up, testing it on my wrist like a baby bottle so it would not be too hot and I put enough in my ear, tilting my head so it would not run out for a minute or so. I could hear the peroxide boiling. I did this everytime I got water in my ear in the shower or swimming. Initially I did it several times a day, even laying on the bed letting it set for seval minutes. 6wks later or so, my ear popped open and I could hear. ***@****
The cream I put in my ear was nystatin cream and I applied it all the way to the ear drum very carefully with a q-tip. Additionally I used the 1/2 peroxide, 1/2 alcohol in my ear to boil it out several times a day for 6 wks or so and any time I took a shower and got water in my ears or swam and got water in my ears. 3 Doctors (one was an ENT) had given my three different antibiotics and steroid drops for my ears nothing worked. Hello.....antibiotics do not work on fungus, which is what I had in my ear was a fungal infcection. I remember exactly when my ear popped open and I could hear. I continued the peroxide alcohol mixture for several years after every shower or swim. I still have itchy ears but have not had to use the stuff anymore for. Try this also: hold your breath and swallow forcing air into the eustacian tube. The air will help fight the infection. hope you are all better. God bless!
My daughter is dealing with the same thing. We have been to the dr. 2 to 3 times a week for 4 weeks now and still going strong. She had an ear infection for 2 weeks had oral, ear and injectable antibiotics and her ear drum ruptured 3 times and then she got a fungal infection. They have painted it and tried lotrim drops which are used for athletes foot. Well it cleared up for 1 day and the dr. said stop all treatments and now it is back and she has a perforated(hole) in her eardrum. I am at my wits end. She has had an infection in her ear for 4 weeks now and she is only 3 yrs old.
I know this might sound wacky, and this is not intended to be medical advice or to replace a doctor, but when I had what I think to be recurring ear infections what helped to knock them down more than anything else was putting a piece of garlic in my ear (not inside it just gently at the base of the canal).  Garlic is a powerful natural antibacterial and antifungal.  There are more reports about this and ideas about how to do it on the web if you search "garlic ear infection" though I don't know if any specifically refer to *fungal* ear infection.  But there is more "home cure" advice if you are interested in reading it.  Of course you do want to have a doctor help you if possible but I personally needed to explore other options for several reasons.
i had this problem for about 2 months now and i have to say its absolutly draining on me ive been in and out of doctors and in the emergency room twice because the pain was so bad ... my advice to anyone is to NOT stick q tips in your ear thats what caused the first hole in my ear and i kept getting built up upon built up of stuff and the doctor kept sucking stuff out of it... i was on just about any kind of drop there is to prescribe some of them worked but went down my throat and caused a servere pain and others made the infection grow even more .. i had the purple dye stuff in my ear as well i didnt notice any difference in my pain or the fact that i can barely hear .. recently my doctors sent me to another doctor that speicalizes in just the ears and it turned out that i had fungus growing in my ear which caused a second hole in my ear he put a microscope in my ear and had a tv so that i can finally see what was going on in there and it was a mess.. he prescribed me a antifungal pill and this is going to sound crazy but a nail laquear that kills fungus so far he said that the fungus is gone and now im just waiting on the holes to close which he said might close on its own or give me a "paper patch" to help it along and if they still dont close it will result in surgery ... my biggest fear now is just not being able to get my hearing back.
Hey all,

My ENT gave up and sent me to an internal medicine/infectious disease Dr.  They originally thought my immune system had an issue healing problems.  This Dr. ran many blood tests and I don't have any immune system issue.  He believes that this all occurred when I was under a lot of stress during my pregnancy and my immune system was already suppressed due to hte baby.  He is working on a couple of possible cures, but he said that once you disrupt the balance of fungus and bacteria in the ears, it can be very difficult to get back on track.  I'm currently taking a probiotic which is a combination of good bacterias and bactroban ointment around the outside of my ears.  Almost 3.5 years of this, I'm hoping this works.  I'll keep you all updated.  Good luck to my fellow sufferers!
5 days ago it's started from me, first like a small pain in the ear than during the night it was real horor pain in the ear and jaw....Folowing days I start to drink antibiotics and ipobrufen(for pain) + I use some drops, That night was worst pain than beafore, I was desparate and than I was try to find some alternative solution and I did it....It was real luck that I have a small bottle of oil (Hyperici flos)St.Johns Worth and I read on net that is good for this kind of thing but As I read That  garlic oil good as well, so I took Real peace of garlic and put in the bottle with St.Johns worth mixed together and put in my ear....Afther 10 minutes I feel less pain, tomorow I was much better and I didn't need to drink Ipobrufen anymore,pain is almost gone now and I wish To share This with all of you people...Hope That this will help somebody ...Sorry for my English and all the best
Have had ear infection for over a month now.  First antibacterial drops only made the problem worse.  My ear would fill up with fungus and I had to wash the fungal plug out with a peroxide solution and warm water so the drops could get in and I could hear.  Big mistake.  It made it worse.  Dr. prescribed ZOTO-HC solution ear drops after sucking the fungal ball out.  It is an antibacterial and antifungal agent.  I keep all water out of my ear and it hasn't seemed to clog since.  So far, so good.  No pain since.  I go back in a little over a week.
thanks so much for the suggestion of using garlic outside the ear. i have a fungal ear infection caused by prolonged topical antibiotic in my ear. i now have a perforated eardrum and my ent specialist has been prescribing lotremin (antifungal drops) and oral nystatin. but this does not seem to knock the fungus out. i tried raw chopped garlic wrapped in cotton wool and used it as an ear plug for 2 days changing the garlic every few hours. yesterday when i went to my ent doctor he said that the fungal growth is much less so the garlic must be working. will continue to put garlic and see the progress in the next few days. thanks urbanvegan you have really helped
After three years of 'aspergillus (aspergillosis) niger', or black fungus went back to the Doc.  Told him I was doing what he said, peroxide, then nystatin twice a day.  He said it was a stubborn thing to get rid of.  Last Friday he made a wick out of gauze and saturated it with Nystatin.  Today, Monday, he took the wick out and said that it worked.  Put another one in, just in case, I will take this our myself in a few days.  Said to keep the ear dry.  The stuborn ear just needed constant aggresive (aggressive) treatment.  Good Doc's at Massachustts Eye and Ear!!!  Thanks, Doc
I have had a fungal ear infection that was finally diagnosed properly after first being treated with antibiotics and drops and of course no results.  There is also a small perforation that exists perhaps of the infection. Is there any concerns that this fungus could of entered my blood stream?
Can someone please help?? My daughter is on a marine base and has been trying to get the doctors to see my granddaughter. She has what appears to look like a noodle?? They cleaned her ears out and asked if she stuck anything in her ears. Then she went back and pulled another one out. Now there is blood, what appears as fuzzy scaly cells, and a fluid filled blister inside the ear on the ear drum. My ganddaughter has been to the doctors 3x's. Each time a new antibiotic. She is trying to get a referral to a specialist and its been almost impossible. She has had several attempts to contact the on base doctor with no luck?? I am afraid she will loose her hearing? Camp LeJeune has the worse follow up and care. I am very worried and afraid..Please!!! someone help us?? What do we do to get her seen and where does she go?? Also is this something that is serious?? She was able to get a visit today , but that was for a visit to get a referral to an ENT. I am afraid she will not be able to hear soon>> and worse than that ...a deadly bone infection??
Help! I am at my wits end.  I had a terrible sinus infection approx 6 weeks ago.  After it started  to involve my right ear, I decided to go to the dr.  He prescribed Keflex 3X a day for 10 days.  After 3 days I called the nurse, because I seemed to be getting worse instead of better.  She said give it another day on the antibiotics.  Day 4 , I called back and they referred me to ENT.  I promptly visited the ENT that day and he prescribed me Levaquin.  On Day 4 or 5 of it, I realized I was having some sort of reaction to it as I had been having headaches and my skin looked sunburn.  Back to the ENT, and he gave me the option of draining my ear and inserting a tube.  I consented, little did I know how bad it would hurt during the procedure AWAKE!!  After the procedure he prescribed Cipro drops 2X day for 7 days.  After 7 days of continuous draining I called back and was instructed to do the drops for 7 more days.  Went back today for my 2 week checkup and he says that it has improved but I have a little fungus in there.  Instructed me to insert 4 drops of white vinegar 2X day for 2 weeks.  I attempted this tonight and I am teary eyed as I type this.  My ear burned horribly...like I had poured battery acid in it or something.  I screamed out in pain for about 15 minutes solid, followed bya bout 45 mins of solid crying.  My ear and left side of my throat still burn, and I can't hear a thing out of the ear.  I don't know what to do.  I plan to call the dr back tomorrow, cause I can't take the vinegar treatment.  I am losing my grip on sanity as this ordeal is nearing 6 weeks. Any advice out there.  I'm desperate!
my son had a case of "swimmers" ear. Dr 1 prescribed antibiotic drops. no help. Dr 2 pulled out a lot of ear wax and said to get eae wash kit, no help. Ent Dr said he had fungul infection and we were told to use athletes foot liquid drops, ie; lotrimin. that worked. Ent said that antibiotic drops feed the fungus.
Ear infections come in two categories. Children often have the bacteria version, so commonly medical personnel automatically treat for that. Unfortunately, the administration of an antibiotic produces an environment where fungus thrives. If the infection is fungal the antibiotic will tend to make it worse.

While both types of infections often produce similar symptoms, the appearance of a detachable mass, often referred to as a "fungal ball" is symptomatic of a fungus infection. Terbinafine HCL 1% cream applied sparingly on a cotton swab and very gently applied to the lining of the ear canal 2x per day usually will clear up the problem. Good results have also been reported by using garlic oil, again applied with a cotton swab very gently to the ear canal.

If the problem is persistent, using a mild antifungal (like the garlic oil) on a cotton wick inserted in the ear canal and allowed to remain for at least several hours, or by placing antifungal oil drops in the ear and stoppering them with a small cotton ball is the next step.

Unfortunately, little attention is paid to fungal infections in medical school since they very rarely are fatal, and most importantly are not a profit center for pharmaceutical companies.

Like everyone here, I too have had intensely itchy, weepy, seepy, doggy ears.  And like many, I have mostly likely exacerbated the situation with instruments of destruction larger than my elbow -- things like my dirty finger nails, Q-Tips, pencils, eyeglass arms, bobby pins, toothpicks, etc. I'm not proud.  I'm desperate.  I will use anything that will relieve that damn itch.  

After reading all these threads, I opted to produce my own concoction and so far, so good.  It seems to work.  I have killed the perennial itch, which recently included an infection in my left ear that was so bad, it was making my face swell.  That infection has now disappeared, along with the intense itching.  And my right ear? It was an itchy 10 as based on an itch scale of 1 to 10.  Note the past tense "was".  I have tamed that itch too.  Nada.  No itch.  All gone, all better.  

My home concoction?  Mineral oil, with crushed garlic cloves, and crushed Xylitol crystals (you can get Xylitol in better health food stores or online by simply Googling "Xylitol").  I put a fresh batch into a sterile dropper 4 times a day, for 7 days.

And yes, for those of you that know Xylitol, you'll know it tastes like more like sugar than sugar itself.  But it ain't sugar.   But it's 100% natural and likely 100% safe.  Just Google the term "Xylitol" and you'll see what that's about.  It's been seven days now post treatment, and man-oh-man, it's like a relief from all kinds of itching and now I'm tempted to throw out all the Q-Tips and all the other implements of destruction.

Thank you so much for the recipe. I am going on a couple of years with this ear itch, and I can't wait to try this. I was hospitalized for supposedly having a staff infection in my left ear a few months ago, and yesterday I went back to the doctor due to pain and itching again. Now it is a fungal infection. I have read all the posts possible on this constant itching and popping sounds in my ear, and this one I hope is the answer to my prayers. Thank you again. I will let you know.
i  currently have a very bad ear infection, and i suffered agonizing pain to a point where i wasn't able to sleep.  I went to the doctor and they said that my ear canal was so swollen and enflamed to a point where they couldn't even see my damaged ear drum.  so far, i have been on antibiotis, and ear drops, and they seem to be helping with the infection because i don't have as severe of pain, but the swelling won't go down!  I can't hear a thing out of my left ear. its horrible.  i'm scared i'm going to go deaf!  does anyone know how to reduce swelling?
can you use regular garlic near your ear or is that too strong i saw garlic oil. also perxoide is hard on you is it a certain peroxide. Ive been going through this too long. my doc doesnt know what to do. ive been misdiagnosed for 3yrs finally getting answers but no help. its horrible. chrissy  
they want me now to see a ears throat nose specialist im wondering if i will learn anything.  chrissy
I had a bad fungal infection in my ears it would come and go for about a year and a half .My doctor finally perscribed "Cipro HC otic" The infection has been gone now for about a month and a half,you might want to ask your doctor about this medication,it's ear drops and you have to use it until it's gone-also do not use q-tips or anything in your ear -the skin is very thin in the ear and it's easy to tear which will lead to fungal ear infections.
General practice docs don't see fungus much and just prescribe anti-biotic drops because 80% of the time they clear the problem up for their patient. I finally went to an ENT for my ear and he cleaned the fungus ball out of my ear with a little vacum. Super relief- I could finally hear and the pain instantly went away. (It is weird how these stupid things have to be sucked out and won't come out with q-tip...) Now I am on the athlete's foot (lotrimin) drops and oral diflucan. However, my ear has re-filled and the pain is coming back so I don't know what he will prescribe next... I think ear pain is one of the worst types of pain there is. Anyway, I just wanted to say- I was told that antibiotics make fungal infections worse so anyone who is being perscribed an antibiotic mix drop (cipro, zithro etc.) make sure your infection is not fungal!
Cipro-hc -otic is not for a fungal ear infection-I switched Doctors and he prescribed a sulfa antibiotic that works on a deeper level.So far my ear infection seems to be clearing up.My old  doctor has had me on prednisone and cortisone for years and I've read that that supresses the immune system,maybe that's why my  ear infection is hard to get rid of.
I've had problems with fungal ear infections of and on for about 10 years and I used to use Lotizone which I don't think is intended for the ear and I'm not so sure it is safe. Finally I found all natural herbal formula that really worked and is safe called earache remedy made by seagate products. http://www.seagateproducts.com/earache-remedy.html They even have a pediatric formula.
i have suffered from recurring ear infections for about two years now since i became pregnant with my third child. i would go into my family doc about once every other month or so with another horrible infection. Until two years ago i have never had an ear infection ever i have had my ears flushed every kind of antibiotic even as far as levaquin thats has pretty serious side effects as if i wasn't miserable enough now i am 25 and seeing my second ENT actually an LPN that worked with ENTs and she was able to
sorry it cut off   diagnose me with a fungal ear infection so all treatments with antibiotics were useless so now i am being tested for diabetes thyroid problems and some other blood tests hope this helps nurses can really rock!!
THANK YOU EVERYONE for all the helpful comments and solutions.  I too visited 3 doctors in one week, one week ago, finally taking a trip to the ER that Saturday with unbearable pain, where a doc did EVERYTHING wrong!  SCRAPING my ear out, irrigating, more scraping which was almost as unbearable as the original pain!!!  Then sent me home with antibiotics for my ear!  Fortunately, an ENT the following Monday took one look, said it was fungal, painlessly, gently vacuumed out my ear and gave me ear drops for fungal infection.  INSTANT relief.  Been one week, infection still not completely gone, going to try the garlic/olive oil and other solutions above.  I can't believe 3 doctors got it wrong!!!!!  
i think there is no cure for this ear infection....its frustrating.....everytime different drops...suction.........medicine..still no change........helplesss
i have this fungal ear crap right now nd it started a week ago now  nd all i know is it kills its the worst pain iv ever had omg it kills like a @#!$% nd the doctor first told me it was swimmers ear nd he gave me that ciproflexon crap nd it dont work at all   any sugestions people im in sever pain plz HELP AWWWW !!!!!!!
suffering like all of you....I have tried the garlic avenue.  Take a piece of Garlic clove and cut a piece just enough to fit snuggly into the ear but obviously not all the way in.  Then use 3 or 4 bandaids to keep it in place(bedtime). One bandaid will suffice but I have noticed that the more bandaids the less of the garlic smell comes out.. It did relieve and the pain subsided within a day or two without another treatment.  If you familiar with the DR. OZ's  tv show his wife actually uses it as well.. Garlic does have anitmicrobial and anti bacterial components in it.  Most MD's push the clinical drugs first because of the testing and holistic or home remedies second.  Might as well try. no side effects except the smell of garlic.....hope this helps
I have been dealing with this issue for years. Once you get a fungal ear infection, then from then on, you get them quite easy. The best treatment for me is to have my ENT first use his suction to remove the fungas from my ear and off of my ear drum. He then rinses the ear with Hydron peroxide while at the same time ussing the suction device to remove the liquid at the same time. He them applies this purple stuff, I think its called Ginga-violet. He fills the ear canal with that purple stuff, then with the suction, he ***** the liquid out leaving just a coating in the ear on the walls and ear drum. He then applies a cotton swab, and that's it.. Ussually it's better, but sometimes it comes back within a week, and I have to have the proceedure done again before it gets too bad.. The first sign of black stuff on your q tip is a sure sign you are getting an infection...
Wild oregano oil is helping me tremendously to get relief from many years of ear infections that I couldn't cure. Before trying it, I used to get some great relief putting a mixture of 50% of 3%hydrogene peroxyde and 50 % of water in my ear canals.
Regarding the wild oregano oil, I use a brand that has 80% carvacrol so it is a very potent remedy. I dilute a few drops in a tablespoon of olive oil, and then I apply and massage the oil on the back of my ears (on the bone structure of the ear). It is very strong so no need to pour any in the ear canals (this could also be very bad for the ears).
Hope this helps.

ps : I have no idea if I really have ear fungus infection. I was told I may have ear eczema by one doctor but I refuse to put cortisone in my ears so I haven't seen a doctor in years. Wild oregano oil has an excellent reputation in fighting fungal skin conditions. Use very carefully.
I cut and put a couple of pieces of Garlic into both ears - big enough as not to enter fine ear canal. Pressed gently as to get some of the juice out. Got same strong stinging sensation as with TEA TREE OIL which I also used. I put one drop but no more that 2 drops of Tea Tree Oil into each ear . Stinging in ears produced by garlic or Tee Tree Oil can be dramatically reduced by using a small amount of BRIA organic balm (produced by " BRIA Organics "). This balm is often used for babies with itchy skin . It`s much better than Vaseline by far in my opinion.
Don`t put any garlic or tee tree oil into your ears without having " Bria " ointment or at least Vaseline within reach as it does sting a bit. If you inflamed the ear by scratching it`ll sting more. " Bria " organic balm will take the sting off immediately.
I have been suffering with this Ear Fungal infection for 3 months now ...!. One day i feel ok ..then its hits me like a ton of bricks !!. Been to a specilist 3 times now & he keeps telling the infection is gone & it will take time to get my hearing back..!. And thats another thing my right ear is just about completly deaf now & also i am getting massive headaches & neck & back pain..! I also getting anxiety attacks from wondering ifs it something else !!. Is anyone out there having all these symptoms that i am having ?. I need some feedback ...
I went to ENT because i was hearing a heart beat in my ear. he look inside
my ear and said that i have  some swelling and he gave me cortisporin otic drop to put in for two weeks. on week 2 i developed terrible itching with swelling. i went back and said i have fungal infection. he stuffed my ear with
lotrisone cream and gave Rx for prednisone to take for 3 days.i think the antibiotic create a moisture environment for the fungus to grow. i hope this method of stuffing my ear with this cream for two days will get rid of it and not cause any damage to my hearing.
I have been suffering with ear eczema since August of 2009. My ENT put me on DermOptic drops. I saw little improvement, even after 4 rounds of treatment. I suffer
with itching, ear pain, fluid behind my ears drum, however, it doesn't leak out. He told me 3  days ago I had a fungus. BINGO! I went to see a Dr of Holistic Medicine and would like to share with you what I have learned. Fungus grows in our bodies when our immune systems are compromised and our intestinal flora is out of balance.. Steroids feed the fungus. You might recover only to see it come back in a few months or so. It is important to restore balance and you can do that with a good probiotic from the Health Food store and be sure it stays refigerated. I don't think eating yogurt will give you enough. Also, avoid, sugar, wheat and dairy and consume fresh veggies, a little fruit and lean meats. Watch your carbs......they convert to sugar and sugar feeds the fungus. Read the labels. Eczema is difficult to treat but I have been dealing with eczema for over 30 years and I am just now learning how to treat it and keep it away. I am taking Chinese Herbs and a good probiotic. Nystatin should work too, but you will need a prescription. I am going to try this as instructed for 2 weeks and let you know the results. Good Luck everyone!
smorris0312

Let me add one more thing...........it  is important to keep your ears dry. Place cotton in your ears and dap a little bit of vaseline on the outside of the cotton ball to protect your ears when you shampoo your hair. Moisture feeds the fungus too. Use a blow dryer to dry your ears. I know it is a little trouble to go through but it is worth the hassle.
Hope this info help you...........let me know!

smorris0312
I have psoriasis really bad in my ears, I also have narcolepsy and sleep alot. But I have notice that I do alot of itching in my sleep and I have woken up in the mornings with a funny feeling in my ears. I must dig really hard cause I can feel bone and something like a long piece of a spiral noodle. What is going on and what should I do.
After dealing with the same infection that skips between bacterial, fungal and a bonus staff infection my advice is to #1 stop using q tips.. I know that's where I went wrong.. ear wax protects against things growing in your ear. The skin in your ear is very sensitive.. and tears easily. Second get into an ENT immediately.. if you call to make an apt and the front desk says you have to wait a week two weeks whatever hang up the phone and run to the ENT office and tell them that if anyone misses an appointment that you are there to take their place, and if the ENT has time in between patients that you really need to be seen. I waited too long and the infection blew out my ear drum. The infection spread to the bone on my scull. By the time I was seen I was immediately set up for surgery.  Some holes in the ear drum can heal, large ones and large ones covered in infections do not. The ENT had to grind down the infected bone on my skull. He had to take a graph of muscle to rebuild my ear drum wall.  If the infection was any worse I could have been paralyzed on the side of my face.  Don't try to clean out your own infection go to an ENT immediately.  Do not go to the insta care... They have no idea what they are dealing with.  Ask for the purple anti fungal/bacterial paint... its the best.. Ear drops sucked for me because my infection would fill up my ear and the drops would just make everything soggy and wouldn't get to my ear drum wall.  I am so close to getting this healed, I've also tried vinegar, garlic, Silver, I'm on my 4th round of antibiotics.  I am so close to getting this healed OMG this has been the most painful horrible thing in my life. Also.. I just make an apt for the same day every week to get my ear suctioned out and painted with purple.. O man I love the purple stuff.
It took me a long time to find what works I've gone threw so much pain and loss of quality of life.  If you have this you have to get in to the Dr or his PA and start getting this taken care of immediately.
Also, I have had two insta care Dr's and one ENT tell me it was Psoriasis.. The Ent who finally nailed it Said.. "it looks just like psoriasis but it actually a fungal infection."
What happens in the beginning the flakes start out small like psoriasis, the get larger and larger they get deeper and deeper in your ear, they peel off and sometimes they get stuck and the fungus builds up fluids build up it gets soggy, then it gets hard and itchy, sometimes you can get it to catch on a q tip and you can pull it out (not recommended) usually you just push it in deeper. I've pulled some out and they stink, (not that I go out of my way to smell it,, but it has an odor that can be smelt from a good distance) and they sometimes look like scabs, you can sometimes feel them with the tip of your pinky.  Sometimes my ear will painfully swell up close off and compress these nasty balls of infection and flatten them out.  This sounds sooo nasty but the reason I get this is because of the shape of my ear canal and because I take a lot of showers and because I abuse q tips... so cleanliness is what contributed to this mess.
I have had an ear infection for 18 days now. they gave me zpack (didn't work), prednisone (didn't work), Amoxicillan (didn't work) and am now on Cipro (2days and doesn't seem like it is working). Been waiting to see an ENT and finally got in for tomorrow. After reading all of these posts I am assuming I probably have a fungal ear infection. I have never had an ear infection in my life but do have bad sinus problems. Whats strage though is that I haven't had a sinus infection in about 10 months. I do have itchy ears which makes me think I have the fungal infection.

I am praying that I can get relief tomorrow. the pain and the pressure and not being able to hear is driving me insane. I can't focus and and feel totally off balance and out of wack. I was hoping teh ENT would put a tube in my ear to drain all the puss that is behind my ear drum. Just want the pressure gone and the hearing to come back.

Thanks for all the info. I am tempted to try the garlic but and going to wait and see what the ENT says tomorrow.
I too am suffering please get nystatin cream prescription and put it in the ear after using white vinegar I know this sounds insane but it works.Vinegar kills fungus and the nystatin helps a lot,When infection is gone to prevent mix 3 parts alcohol,vinegar and peroxide put in ear after swimming or showering and it should never come back It took 2 months and 6 doctors to find one who could help me.heating pad helps too.Good luck to all.
what you absolutely need to do is GO TO A ENT (ears, nose, throat) SPECIALIST AND GET IT CHECKED OUT!!!!  
DON'T DO ANYTHING YOURSELF!!!! > IT'LL ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE

he'll subscribe to an anti-fungal medication of some sort, let it be ear drops tablets pills it can even range to eye drops! you'll probably have to take these prescribed medications daily and for up to 2-5 weeks (how your body reacts, differs with each person!

for now...  1. KEEP YOUR EAR DRY!  (showers, baths, pools)<watch out!
2. YOU CAN USE Q-TIPS BUT ONLY FOR THE OUTER-EAR CANAL!!!
DON'T AND I MEAN DO NOT TRY TO "SCRAPE" SOME OF IT OUT!!!!!
chances are you'll push it even further in, increasing the pain and possibly damaging your hearing!!!!
3. Don't take any antibiotics they usually make the fungus thrive even more accelerating the process!!!!
4. maybe take a few pain killers... the pain varies (I myself had immense pain)
5. the pains gets worse when sleeping because blood flows easier through your head ( usually have throbbing pain due to the blood pulsating through your ears and head...) so put another pillow under your head to raise it up and get it at a steeper angle IT HELPS WHILE SLEEPING!!   + a pain killer at night...
6. to "get rid of the ringing" I listened to music 24/7 makes it feel almost normal... for comfort's sake!

7. wait it out. get an appointment by an ENT specialist ASAP!!!!
I am a 63 y/o male who wound up with a double ear infection caused by moisture building up in my ears from swimming every day and showers afterwards. On the first day my ears were swollen shut, my hearing was reduced by 50%, I had a fever of 102° and the pain was so excruciating I had to go to the emergency room. The young doctor there prescribed an antibiotic and pain killers. The pain killers stopped the pain but the antibiotic did nothing to improve my condition except for lowering my fever. After a week of treatment the antibiotics ran out and I didn't renew them since they did not help. I realized my problem must not be a bacterial infection but a fungal infection which antibiotics are useless against. On the morning of the 7th day I went to the drugstore and bought a tube of anti-fungal creme called "Lamasil" which is mostly prescribed for athlete's feet. I came home and applied a little spot of "Lamisil" creme on the tip of a cotton swab and very gently put the creme in each ear canal and repeated the procedure twice that same day. By 9 pm that evening my ears suddenly popped open and I could hear normally again! OMG! It was truly miraculous! After a week of pain and suffering the "Lamisil" creme cleared up the fungus and my double ear infection in a matter of hours!!! From now on I will always wear ear plugs when I swim and dry my ears out thoroughly after every bath and shower. I never want to experience the pain and discomfort of an ear infection again!! Another tip: except for emergency use NEVER USE COTTON SWABS IN YOUR EARS! THEY DAMAGE AND IRRITATE THE SENSITIVE MEMBRANE OF THE EAR CANAL! ANY DOCTOR WILL TELL YOU THIS!
I had an earache for 3 days and on the third day the pain was so intense I went to the emergency room and was given antibiotics, ear drops, and a pain reliever. It didn't help at all, actually my ear got worse. I went to my doctor about a week later and she gave me more antibiotics and ear drops, still nothing. I finally made an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat doctor.
He took one look into my ear and said i had a fungal infection in my ear and said that the antibiotics didn't work because they were made to fight bacterial infections, not fungal.
He cleaned out my ear with a sort of vacuum, it did hurt a little. About fifteen minutes after that my ear felt no pain whatsoever!!
I asked him how it could have gotten into my ear, because i cleaned my ears everyday after showering with a q-tip. He immediately said "That's a big no-no." He said the fungus grew with the moisture in my ear, and to never do that again because the ear cleans itself, the inside at least.
I have my follow up with him tomorrow and I feel much MUCH better!!
Thanks "Dr.Bow-tie"!!
How I got rid of Fungal Ear infection for good!
I had a fungal infection in one ear for a while and after many visits to the GP and lots of ear syringing and different kinds of ear drops i was out of options as nothing was working. My ear was so painful and it's all i could think about. I could bearly hear and my balance was very off. I decided to take matters into my own hands and started using white vinegar. I literally poured it into my ear( the Drs say keep it dry, but that hadn't been working and i thought well i might as well try something else). Then i'd gently dry my ear with a cotton bud (another no-no apparently). I did this twice a day for the first few days then put the vinegar on a cotton bud and touched it into the ear. After about 3 days i could hear again. After about 1 week the infection had completely gone and it's never come back again. This is not the Drs advice, but for any people out there who are in the position where nothing else is working and the queue for a ENT is 3 months!!! then in might be worthwhile trying the vinegar.
I see that a lot of people are affected by this ear fungus ailment. I am too. It started about 3 years ago as a persistent itch. Of course, I made it worse by scratching the itch. Hey, it felt *so* good to scratch it! I guess by scratching with various devices, I caused additional problems and ended up with a punctured ear drum and a bacterial infection on top of the fungal infection. I've never had much pain with this. Just the itch and loss of hearing. Note that at this point, doctors were no help at all. Four different docs plus the staff at the ER were unable to properly diagnose the issue as a fungal infection. Finally, after using antibiotic ear drops, the bacterial infection cleared up enough so that an E.N.T. specialist was able to diagnose the fungal infection. He "painted my ear purple" and prescribed ear drops, "Hydrocort Acetic Acid 2-1% OTI OTIS". Within 4 weeks my ear was completely clear with no more itch. The ENT said the fungus issue may go away completely and never come back or it might come back, or it may only subside. He said it can be tough to treat.

Fast forward about 4 months and the fungal infection is coming back. I suspect my high blood sugar has a lot to do with it. I'm going to try, at the suggestion of the ENT, Lotramin Ultra in my ear to see if that clears it up. If not, I may try the suggestions presented here. The garlic makes sense and the special concoction by paulajean777 is also a possibility.

At least I know better than to use implements of destruction to scratch my ear canal this time.
I have been dealing with the same thing for 2 weeks and have been to hell and back with it. I have now spent about 800 dollars on 3 visits to the doctor, very expensive ear drops, and antibiotics in addition to high levels of tylenol. After first being diagnosed with an ear infection and excessive ear wax, my new doctor determined that it was fungal and put the dye and anti-fungal powder in my ear today. I am already feeling relief, and am praying this will finally get rid of this pain. I will report back.
I have been suffering from chronic itching forever.  I have had many ear infections (probably fungal).  First ent told me I had skin condition, next wnt to urgent care and told I had fungal and baterial infection, meds didn't work and finally went to second ENT, gave me new fungal med, didn't work, went back to regular doctor to be given more and more meds, and finally on my third ent who told me that all those meds have created such a huge fungal infection.  My ear is absolutey killing me for months now.  He cleaned it out and put cream in it.  I am to go back this week, but I am already itching, have drainage coming out of ear, pain, my throat hurts.  This is intolerable.  I have taken Vicoden twice for it.  I am using a mix of vinegar/alcohol (rubbing) for other ear until bad ear is better then I can use it on that one he told me.  Hope he can finally resolve problem tomorrow.    I am type I diabetic and I am sure that doesn't help.  I feel for each and everyone of you and I don't think these stinking doctors get it and how much pain we are in when we call them for help.  It seems like they just put us on the back burner.  Pisses me off.  
I've taken both my little boy and myself to a chiropractor for ear infections the last 8 years and we have never had to take antibiotics yet.  First sign of an ear ache go in!  If your chiropractor doesn't know what to do for it, have them check their text books, apparently there are pressure points and a joint tucked behind the ear and if you move it just right, your body will handle the infection itself and flush the bug away... drink lots of water though too and beef up vitamin C and get some greens like chorella and then do oregano oil under the tongue.  Still never an antibiotic for either of us and I don't think we ever will need one.  Wishing you much fast relief!
Im in it 2months + .Ive been windsurfing for 4 years and never had this problem before.
My pain started bit different from others here. First it was sharp (knife) over my eye. Just few times impulse. Next day was less painful but then it spreded over all forehead. After few days I had a pressure on temples.Very strong one, so I went to GP and he gave me pain killers with comments that is sinuses. I was back in 2 days coz pain was just worst and other GP found one of my ear drum bit more red then other and + I told him about windsurfing in dirthy water so he gave me Zinnat 250. I started to feel like I have some electric wire strapped around my right ear and after 2nd day taking this I could also feel hot pain inside my ear tube. Cracking in E-tube and nose. After 1 week major pain was gone but still have teples pressure or pain in the tube with cracking and itchi. Tried also Claricitan, ear drops etc. I was on ENT, where they said my ears are ok, if I have head problems I should get CT. Which I did and didnt show any infection. Also blood and CRP protein test showed clear. I got a audio test and ear drumms are 100%, just sono test showerd that my right E-tube has problems with bass a bit, so  ENT specialist diagnose I have alergic (allergic) cold of Eustach tube. Strange thing is, that sometimes when I wake up, I feel ok firs 5 min, then it all starts again, either itchi in tube/s or pain behind neck, or pressure on left temple or both sides. And most weird one is strange presure on nose bone...from outside, like somebody would press with finger. Sometimes that itchi feeling goes all the way down to the throught on my glens and even touch the top of the chest.
And of course tinitus. Sometimes ( when u turned off the sound on old TV, u still hear that high pitch sound) constant low, but sometimes impulses louder up. Sometimes mixture with deeper one ( like hoover in next door ). Sometimes I can feel Etubes " pumping" swelling up in impulses like heart beat. Sometimes they like locke up ir something and the "hoover" comes on board.
These pains are not constant, they comming in various cycles and combinations, so cant say I have problem with sinuses, coz I was trying heating therapy, besides I can breath so well now like I didnt before. I use to have problem with blocked nose, coz windsurfing in cold conditions. Im taking now Aerius (anti alergy (allergy) pills ) for 2 weeks and no improvement, so thinkig to try acupuncture now.  If anybody has a simmilar problems , please share with me. It really helps for my psycho...coz Im starting to loosin it. If any advice, even better. Cheers
Thanks for all the good advice . I'm not having the pain ,itching that some
of you are having thankfully. Went the antibiotics/corticosteroid drps/syringing
route. No help .
Going for garlic
my 6 year old son has been dealing with this fungal ear infection crap for over a year now.his gets so bad that his ear will fill up with blood.he has been treated with antibiotics and countless different ear drops and it keeps coming back.he is now seeind an ear specialist but it just started bleeding again tonight.he does not get pain with it but he has hardly any hearing in that ear and I worry it is gonna cause permenant damage to his hearing.I feel so sorry for him cuz all they do is keep giving us different drops.please if someone has any ideas or suggestions because I know the blood coming from his ear is not normal.
Use ENT recommended solution. 6 oz. vinegar + 6 0z. alcohol.  Mix together.
Place in microwave 20 seconds. Use a 3 oz ear syringe(from local drugstore) fill syringe with solution. Place ear down(NOT eye down)over sink.Place nozzle of syringe in the opening of ear far enough to direct flow but not too far to obstruct drainage. Squeeze syringe forcibly, several times to swish all solution into the ear ( the rinsing action is important to clear all debris). You will not damage ear squeezing too hard. Apply solution once or twice daily for 7 days.(depending on severity of ear problem). If you get dizzy the solution is either too hot or too cold, so adjust accordingly. Dizziness will pass after a few moments. If helpful, hold a wash cloth to your face,away from eyes, to catch drainage and avoid the solution reaching eyes. If it gets in eye it WILL burn; flush with water or saline... This solution works miracles for itchy, draining ears, or ear infection caused by fungus. I have been to urgent care & the ER and left them with pain pills and antibiotics and even had a wick put in my ear due to swelling, before I made to an ENT who told me, if I'd have gone to them first they could have saved me all the trouble,pain & money. He took me off all those meds, gave me this remedy and now I always know what to do for my ear problem when it occurs. Hope this helps some of you.  
i put vinegar in a cotton and used it for a teatment and its work!thanks to my doctor.
I would try a new doctor...A lot has improved in the field in the past several years so if your doctor is older he may not know everything that a younger doctor does.  Also doctors tend to like treating symptoms rather then the cause so you may have to pull it out of them by asking questions and making your own educated decisions.  
Hi, m suffering frm ear infection since 3 yrs repeatedly. Though I m a physician, Gonna try your vinegar therapy. Let's see.
Never take steroids for fungal infections.
Ok - here is the solution.
Ear has bacteria and fungus naturally, living in competition with each other. When one gets the upper hand (e.g. from water getting in and stimulating the fungus) you get an infection with all the symptoms.
So you have to kill both of them off to allow the ear to heal.
That means a high dose of prednisone and antibiotics - together
Once it heals you can control it with various medicines such as lotrimin and so forth. The ear must be kept dry and clean which can only be properly done by an ENT , who can suck out the dead skin and fungus.
Ok, say you tried this and this did not work for you - the answer is the prednisone and abx were too low dose. Drs., even ENTs, are intensely risk adverse and will tend to underprescribe chronically. Believe me if the prednisone (dosepak) is high enough symptoms will disappear. I should have written that in all caps.
Also I agree with never using q-tips. Instead of white vinegar I prefer domeboro solution, since it is cleaner.
In the end, this is a problem because of docs being afraid to prescribe sufficiently high doses to cure diseases, lack of experience with treating this problem properly, as well as hesitation to combine the abx and prednisone together.
It is rather simple actually to solve if you find a cooperative doc.

I forgot to add that you need to be using an antifungal with this treatment. Oral ketoconazole works best but you have to follow up with liver tests. The doc can put a few drops of a strong antifungal solution in your ear after it is irrigated.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXMake sure you read the last two posts together
Clotrimazole, AF Antifungal AthleteS Foot Topical Solution 1% (Generic Lotrimin) works good after the infection subsides  - stay away from the cream version
Some folks may also benefit from dermotic solution if they have developed an allergy because of long term exposure to fungus
Try GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract). Nutribiotics makes it and it is a powerful antibacterial/antifungal. I went through all of the numerous doctors, specialists etc. This works......takes awhile...but it works. I mix about ten drops in Glycerin and heat it up. Then I put about five drops in the ear. I let it sit in the ear for about five minutes and then I let it drain. Persistence is the key here.
Good luck.
Years ago I was prescribed zithromax. I took the pills as I should but was not told to go on probiotics. Soon after I got a massive fungal rash on my back, and got bad dandruff. Later, I noticed that I had what seemed to be "ear dandruff", and my ear was sometimes itchy. After months of tryin I finally got rid of the rash on my back, but the dandruff has persisted for years. Now I have had a painful earache went to the hospital emergency room one evening.  I was prescribed an antibiotic suspension for my ear.  I  researched ear infections and found that fungal infections get much worse if an antibiotic is used on them.  Is there a chance my ear could be infected with the same fungus that is causing my dandruff? I don't know what to do, I am in great pain but afraid to fill the antibiotic prescription. I read that a mixture of cider vinegar and peroxide would take care of the infection. What should I do?
I have been dealing with mostly same issues as everybdy else on here as well but my sound bad like kims. Taking initiative to find good ent asap bc im at point its driving me flipping crazy ! Feels swollen shut and like smbdy jabbed me in ear over n over wth an ice pick. Havr done pain drops anti bac drops , peroxide n alcohol. OIt will subside for period of time then return worse. I read online if untreatef for long period of tme your ear drum and hearing can be permanatly affectef nd also read tumor in that area of brain above ear area causes same symptoms. Praying for all dealing with this and that you all heal !
What was the name of the antibiotic and ear drops you used? I contracted a staff infection in my nose back in July of 2012.  Had a heavy dose of 2 strong antibiotics to get rid of it.  Broke out in a rash of dry skin around my nose and mouth while on the antibiotics. I thought the antibiotics are what caused it but then had problems with my ears itching like crazy and went to an ENT.  Was also having extreme sinus pain. I had sinus surgery 10 years ago for a cyst and thought something had returned. ENT did a CT-scan that was negative. Did a scope up my nose that was negative. Diagnosed the itching in my ear as eczema and prescribed ear drops that cleared it up.  Now I am having so much ear wax build up that my ear canal gets plugged and I can't hear well. Sometimes both ears. This has continually gotten worse since that staff infection.  I suspect it is a fungal infection that keeps creating the excessive wax production but have not had any doctor diagnose it.  They just put you on an antibiotic.  I need to know the antibiotic and ear drops you used.  Appreciate any info.  The pressure in my inner ear is horrible and constant.
HAVE YOUR hear of the book by Dr. Crook called the yeast connection, a lot of good information about yeast and yeast infections.

Candida overgrowth and chronic illness affect men, women and children. Visit us often for practical tips and the best health supplements and guides on the market today. We have all the resources you need to explore the yeast connection in your life and help you take charge of your health.You can order the book onlinre  

Home - About - Yeast-Fighting Program - Connecting - Resources - From the Book - Store
Expert Advice - Yeast: Yes or No - Try This - Success Stories
© Professional Books DBA The Yeast Connection. All Rights Reserved.
Read our privacy guidelines
Legal Disclaimer
Contact Us

Apple Cider Vinegar with 70% alchohol 2 drops in each ear all the way down the canal then straighten the head and let it come out. I've had severe ear pain and this gets rid of the itch and pain. I had sinus surgery in 1989 and it does NOT help.Look it up! I'm not a health professional but, I went to a lot of them that prescribed antiobiotics which did not help. Your ears will itch if it's fungal.
Apple Cider Vinegar with 70% alchohol 2 drops in each ear all the way down the canal then straighten the head and let it come out. I've had severe ear pain and this gets rid of the itch and pain. I had sinus surgery in 1989 and it does NOT help.Look it up! I'm not a health professional but, I went to a lot of them that prescribed antiobiotics which did not help. Your ears will itch if it's fungal. Works for the back and anywhere there is a fungal rash.
Had it on my back and under my breast and it works!!!!
Ok so iv been dealing with wet itchy ears since my 8th month of pregnancy my son was just born on 3-21-13 and the itches and pain are still their also im a diabetic :/ think its time to see a ENT :/
I am suffering from this now ...... my ENT doctor gave me antifungal cream ....for 20 days .. i now feel better but i can't hear well cause of the cream he will make me ear wash so i'll be better
Hi. Have you found a solution?  My son has been suffering with ear infections for over 2 years. He has tried all the antibiotics out there and non work.  He has fungal in his ear.  
Good day all. I was diagnosed with and ear infection and fungus by my GP yesterday . He prescribed MYCOSYST and KLABAX along with an ear drop. The pain is terrible and I barely slept for the past two nights.
It sounds like you may have a candida/yeast infection and the more you use anti-biotics the worse it will get. Yeast is a fungus and a mean one! Believe me I know. It may also systemtic which means its in your whole body not just the ears. A strict alkaline cleanse followed by probiotics and then a yeast free diet for 30 days, heavy on raw green veggies, no fruit, will probably eraticate it, but the more sweets, alcohol and processed food that you ingest will only feed the yeast/beast and will keep bringing it back. I've been through it all. So I feel for you. My ears drums have literally burst and bled, I was deaf for 2 months and actually had my facial nerves collaspe for a while. I have been to the ER more times this last year than I have been in whole life. After finally realizing what the cause was, I was determined to disipline myself because it was WORTH never going through that pain again. I have now been pain free for a couple months but whenever I eat sugar,bread, or anything with yeast, I feel that twinge in my ear and stop eating it and go back to my regimine.  I hope this helps. Good Luck and God Bless You.
Hi everyone,
I was dealing with itching flaking ears for almost a year. Every time I saw my doctor he would look and tell me nothing wrong. I was using q-tips far to much and using everything from paper clips to well anything that would fit to try and scratch. I know this is a very bad idea but the itching was maddening. Over the past holiday weekend my left ear was so swollen I could hear very little and the pain was unbearable. I had a lot of draining and would wake up with it crusted all around my ear.  I skipped my normal dr and went straight to an ENT dr. She gave me a script for saturated boric acid, to rinse 2 times a day each ear for 2 mins. The first time I used it there was some burning but the relief from the itching and pain was quick. The boric acid solution changes the PH in your ears to make it impossible for fungus or bacteria to grow. I hope this helps someone out there.
ive had ear infections for the last 20 years which after several repeated  ear ops consisting of replacing the ear drum relinging it..and cleaning it then a mastoid cavity..and a cholesteatoma which was removed 6 years ago ..ive now got another cholesteatoma impacted in my cavity now..... as it was had anMRI  in London   yesterday and awaitin results....i got my gp to transfere me to the ENT in London of greys inn road london as im from Peterborough near cambs as i was very dissatifyd with all the prodding and poking i was getting in peterborough and sort London Ent to help me..they took me as a nhs patient....and now im back again with varius black ear  infection s "aspigillus niger" its called i believe....
hello

I have been suffering from ear fungus for more than a year, I'v been suffering from a lot of fungus attacks, I have tried everything from creams to garlic to alcohol, the garlic did work for some time and gave good results but the problem that it leaves the internal surface of the ear canal dry and the skin keeps exfoliating, and instead of having an easy to remove fungus it becomes a little sticky so you need not use it frequently
the other problem is that my ear is not secretion any ear wax, so no matter what are you doing fungus come returning because the first line defense is missing
so now I am trying Chinese medicine aqua puncture, its giving good results so far, but still no wax
do you use olive oil infused with garlic. it may not be so drying
I used to have fungus infection at least once a year. And the only way to get rid of the infection is to get it cleared up by an ENT specialist (in my case). But then the cause of the fungus infection is actually the dead skin that I somehow shed. Therefore to prevent fungus infection I must fixed by skin shredding. I'm "fortunate" that at one stage I have very bad shedding of skin on my leg. It was with me for a long while. Then I begin to suspect that this shedding of skin was due to allergy. It took me a while that I found out that I'm allergic to soap! I found out by first reducing the amount of soap I used. I noticed that I was shedding less. Then I switch to non-soap cleanser. And this improves tremendously. Incidentally, I used to have dandruff. Actually my dandruff is also shedding of skin. And now my dandruff is gone. And I no longer have fungus infection in the ear too!
This answer from me may be late. I had the same problem and my ENT specialist had to tell me to expect to see him at least once a year! Finally I resolved my problem. Essentially I think fungus grow in the ear because there are dead skin in the ear. So you need to solve the dead skin problem. It took me a long while to realize that the dead skin problem I have was due to an allergy. I actually have an allergy to soap. And everyday I was using soap when bathing. After I switch to a non-soap cleanser for bathing and even washing my hair, my dead skin problem goes away - and I'm fungus free so far! It works for me, I'm not sure if it does you. But surely it is no harm to try switching to non-soap cleanser.
Coconut oil helped me clear this up. It is naturally antifungal. I also rinsed my ear with a few drops of peroxide every other day. Remarkable clearing and the itch is gone!!!
hey people i cant get anyone to see some of my post i need help with and i been worried for months ><  it take stress you know? here are some linkss iv been worried about.  ok here is the newest one so far
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ear--Nose--Throat/Need-answer-please-about-my-ear--worried/show/2223018#post_10659975
here is a link that has a problem bothering me over a year non stop that im worried about its started at Feb. 2013 look for my comments pretty much at the bottom of the page in my word of explaining it.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ear--Nose--Throat/continous-breathing--pusling-noise-in-ear--whats-wrong-with-me/show/408435
My son picked up an ear infection while on a tropical holiday,  its been 8 months now and we have tried everything,   antibiotics relieved it but did not clear it up,  antibiotic drops did not work and moistened the ear,  made it worse,  the best solution so far has been to fill his ear with Micreme antifungal cream that you can buy over the counter!   It took three weeks and it seemed to clear it up,  but he has since got his ear wet and it is back,  so it is an on going battle!   Earplugs,  shower caps,  blowdrying are all things you will have to keep doing to keep the ear dry!  good luck people,  its a long battle.
Dilute the vinegar 50/50 with water.