Ear, Nose & Throat Community
humidity, sinus problems, and dizziness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

humidity, sinus problems, and dizziness

this might sound like a goofy question, but when the humidity is high, can that affect your sinuses and/or your inner ears? im trying to figure out if my dizziness is influenced by the weather/outdoor allergens
Tags: irritable
If you have inner ear trouble, barometric pressure changes certainly can cause symptoms to worsen temporarily.

People with endolymphatic hydrops (one version of which is known as Meniere's disease) sometimes complain that they're a "human barometer" and suffer a lot when weather fronts come through, getting dizzier, more ear fullness, etc.

I'm not sure about humidity itself.

As for allergens, my neuro-otologist (inner ear specialist) does believe that allergies make inner-ear symptoms worse, and he has an allergy clinic right there in his office. I never thought I had allergies, but he had me tested and of course I do. He does not claim allergies are the CAUSE of my dizziness but says that most of his patients feel better with allergy shots, as anything that even slightly irritates the inner ear can worsen your symptoms. I have had an overall lessening of my dizziness since starting the shots two years ago, although of course there is no proof it's BECAUSE of the shots.

A GREAT site with all kinds of information about all kinds of dizziness is Dr. Tim Hain's site, www.dizziness-and-balance.com.

Nancy T.
vertigo can be affected by allergies

i'm not so sure about humidity
I cant comment on the dizziness part but i notice when the humidity is high my sinuses bother me.
I live in Louisiana and suffer with Tinnitis, Ear fullness and Vertigo.  Although there may not be scientific research to back it up - I *definitely* notice an increase in ear fullness, tinnitis and vertigo on hot and particularly higher humidity days. The higher the humidity, the more I'm trying to 'pop' my ears adn the more anti-vert I'm having to take in order to function.   In fact, my vertigo symptoms are pretty much exclusive to only the months of July, August and part of September - the hottest months with the highest humidity here in the Deep South.