hyoid slip
I have been reading the related discussions about extreme pain when hyoid slips out of place or twists.  I have been dealing with this since I was in my late 20's.  The first time it happened I was sleeping and I believe moving my neck and swallowing at the same time made something twist in my left side of my throat.  I sat up and panicked.  The pain was so extreme and it didn't go away for hours.  I was so beside myself I started crying and I believe the build up of pressure in my throat from crying caused what ever was out of place to suddenly "pop" back into place.  It hurt like no other when it popped back into place but then the pain was instantly gone.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry from sheer relief. Quite frankly I was afraid to swallow or move for a while.  
Fast forward 20 years later, and I can't count how many times that this has happened again and again.  Laughing, turning my head and swallowing or yawning at the same time.  One time I was bent over wrapping a towel around my hair and I quickly flipped my head up and felt instant excruciating pain.
**My trick to getting relief: I have found that forcefully coughing really hard or filling my mouth full of air (forcefully and not letting air out creating extreme pressure in my throat) expands something in the throat and pops it back in place.  My biggest fear medically right now is that one day it will not go back into place.  And I will have to live with this forever and I can not imagine living like that even for more than an hour.
Question:  Has anyone ever had this happen to them and was lucky enough to have an MRI or CT scan or x-ray to see what it is that is slipping out of place?
Really not interested in paying for a doctors visit so he can look at me like I am insane.  And surgery would only be an option if I knew for a fact that there is a cure.