Ear, Nose & Throat Community
inner ear popping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

inner ear popping

I have been suffering for almost 10 years with a weird popping in my left ear. It only happens when I lay down on my left side and because that's my preferred sleeping side my sleep is disturbed. The best I can describe the sound is water hitting a drum but slightly muffled. Though I can feel the popping, it doesn't hurt. I'm not experiencing dizziness, nausea, headaches or cold symptoms. The only way I can stop the sound is by elevating my head with almost 3 pillows or sleeping on the opposite side. When mentioned to a doctor I was told it was just the sound of my heartbeat. I don't agree. All I know is it's super annoying and quite old at this point. Any ideas what this could be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There are tubes called 'Eustachian  tubes' which connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. This tube can get  blocked due to infections of the throat, which can give lead to a feeling of fullness in the ears. When the tubes open, it can cause a popping sound. The tubes can also be blocked in Eustachian  tubes dysfunction. The blockage can be intermittent. So, if there is unilateral blockage, it can cause blocking on that side. Decongestants, antihistamines, or a steroid nasal spray help to open up the tubes. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time. In the meantime, do steam inhalations and warm salt water gargles they can help clear the tube.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.