Ear, Nose & Throat Community
nasal dryness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

nasal dryness

Hi please can you give me some clear advice

I had recently been trying everything to recover from the worst sinusitus, or what I have been told is sinusitus by my GP, who just keeps telling me my condition is not serious, which is making me more frustrated and mistunderstood,  I have had,  which has lasted now, more than  6 months,  A constant stuffed up nose and nasal dryness that jus will not go away (tell a lie occasionally it does ease off but just comes back, its a nightmare, after 2 courses of antibiotics I had some relief, which was short lived, start with ,the burning and then the dryness kicks in, and then my nose just completely dries up, like there is no mucous in there. My Gp  eventually referred to a ENT specialist, who explained after having a ct scan that everything was fine, no foreign bodies, no nasal disease,and a slight allergy to dust he told me. I had surgery to my nose about 6 years ago after a injury to my nose, which left my nose slightly offset and difficult to breathe through, I was put under and woke up with my nose spread across my face, when I had the packing removed from my head the pain was immense, anyway

I mentioned this recently to my ENT and asked him had my turbinates been operated on in any way, when I had the op 6 years ago, in case I had ENS, but he showed me them on the monitor and said they are all ok, I couldnt make heads or tales as he flicked through very quickly through the images.

The thing is my l nostrils feel like there burning inside like a raw feeling that wont heal, the ent suggested salt water but I fell it will flare up more, I constantly feel the need to blow something out of my left nasal cavity (sinus),   and its been going on now for  months,  the dry feeling and burning hasnt cleared up, and its sore, its driving me mad,    

I have never had a sinus infection in my life, but have over the years quite foolishly stuck cotton wool buds up in my nasal passages, to irritate my nose so it would run, sometimes I got congestion and I must add 3 days after seeing my ent doctor, I blew a peice of an ear bud out of my nose, I pulled it apart just to thoroughly check and it definately had fibres which when pulled apart were an inch long or so.

I also noticed I have a small lump in what I think is called the quadraltus superior nerve (looked it up on the internet so Im not quite sure of the correct terminology) just below my left eye, this has been there since my problems started also! could it be this causing the problem, and if so why did it not show up in a ct scan, over the years I would use ear buds when I had congestion to irritate  my nose, which would help my nose to run and clear the congestion, could it be an ear bud stuck up in there somewhere close to this nerve, and causing me the nasal dryness or is possible the ENT is not telling me the full story about my turbinates,

Do I have ENS? I could ride a bike  most of the time and run a fair bit, before this started. I cannot help thinking that every other condition wether it be allergy, nasal, rhinitis or anything else  usually results with stuffiness and a runny nose, but I have had no runny nose whatsoever. Please help

kind regards
Jay
I too have had the same symptoms as you.....my nasopharynx has the burning raw sensation like a sore that wont heal...saw a number of ENT specialists who did scopes & biopsies. One said sinustis, another said allergic rhinitis, another said nasal hyperplasia due to chronic rhinitis.

I also have gerd, chronic post-nasal discharge & often fresh/clotted bleeds in nasal/throat mucus,,,suffering from weird headaches, tinnitus & insomnia etc

Am currently trying a nasal salt/baking soda rinse prescribed by current ENT, & medication to treat gerd..

Anybody know how to treat us, please help!!
sterimar saline spray is the best for lubricating your nose or giving it relief fro dyness
very good spray for dry nose
Try a humidifier works great!
PONARIS, available at pharmacy, no prescription needed.