Ear, Nose & Throat Community
phlegm affecting voice/singing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

phlegm affecting voice/singing

I am a singer and attorney both require clear vocal cords to get a clear unobstructed voice/tone quality.  My problem is that I have constant phlegm which interferes with my ability to sing and talk with clarity.  I tend to clear my throat very frequently and it especially affects my ability to sing.  I am looking for a clue to resolve my problem permanently or even on a temporary basis to allow allow me to reliably sing professionally.    
i too, am a singer whos having the same problem. im wondering whether i have a swallowing disorder? or post-nasal drip? The weirdest thing about me is that i get stuffy noes on the RIGHT SIDE constantly. and i feel like it drips down ONLY THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY THROAT. very very annoying. it disable me to sing freely in higher register. I too have ot clear my throat a lot and sometimes i have ot do it very hard. I went to couple of local doctors and the told me it was allergy. but how do you explaine it that the allergy only affects the right side of me? i even had a surgery that corrected the bone that divides my nostros because i thought it might have caused the poor air intake on my right because the bone is curved to the right "a little". And im suspecting swallowing disorder because sometimes food does get stuck in my throat. And i choke on sour/spicy liquid when i drink them sometimes. and usually after dinner the phlegm on the right side gets pretty thick. i cough because of it. and again, clear thoat a lot. I am pretty athletic and i excersize a lot. soemtimes after excercising, the same thing happens as after meal. sometimes it feels like i only have half a lung when i speak. i dunno if its soemthing physical or mental that made me lazy to talk sometimes cause it just takes so much effort squeezing my voice out and clearing my throat so often. should i see a doctor that specializes in nasal infection? or should i go see a speech pathologist?
Has anyone in this situation considered acid reflux (primarily at night) as the culprit. Avoiding overeating, eating spice foods, caffeine and not eating too close to bedtime. I'm going to try these and see what happens. More later.